Help me pack!

We are coming to Australia in less than 2 weeks.  I’m not really sure how to pack even though I’ve studied temps on line.

We will be starting in Sydney for a few days then cruise to NZ getting as far north as Tauranga then back to Sydney. Then Sydney, around to Darwin to Perth, which I assume will be hot. Then back over NZ mid March as far north as Christchurch. We will finish with a few days in Sydney in late March. 

Terms like hot are relative right?  We are used to 40C here in Texas although we don’t go out much then except from AC to AC and it’s fairly dry. We had 6 weeks of that this year. 

Do I pack 50/50 mix of shorts and pants, long sleeve shirts and short sleeve shirts? Add a jacket, hoodie or maybe what you call a jumper and raincoat? I don’t like to be cold! Does the sun make 20C feel hotter in Australia, because to me unless I’m in the sun that feels a bit cool. My favorite temp is about 25C. 

We will bring umbrellas and good walking shoes!

Even us Aussies can't predict the weather here at the moment! 

Yes, pack a mix of shorts and pants, short and long sleeve tops, and layers in case of cooler days which you will most likely get in NZ and also if your cruise goes to Tasmania.

It will definitely be very hot across the top end but no guarantees for Perth or Sydney. Sydney has varied from hot and very humid to close to cool (20C or less) this summer! If you're going through Milford Sound etc you definitely need a warm layer first thing in the morning (I usually pack a light fleece for NZ) and I recommend taking a warm hat, gloves and scarf as well. It is much better being out on deck during the Fiordland cruising than peering through the tinted windows of the ship.

Better to pack too many choices so you are comfortable in all conditions than to be too hot or cold.

• Like 4

Also be aware that it's very humid in the northern parts of NZ at the moment, including Tauranga, with February generally being our unpleasantly humid month, usually 25-26 degrees (28 forecast for this Monday) 🙁. Cool, light clothes, definitely a sun hat and sunnies, and plenty of water for hydration, then a cooling shower once back on the ship 🚿 ❄  The South Island is another beast, it can be beautifully warm/hot or downright cold, especially for a Texan 😊

• Like 1

It doesn't feel hot in Sydney until it gets to mid 30's, for me anyway. Any time Sydney gets above 40C, and there is a possibility of that in March, it is a dry land breeze/wind with low humidity. It seems to be quite comparable to what you describe in Texas.

A day in the low to mid 30's with 90% humidity can be oppressive if you aren't used to it. That is quite likely in Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin and even Sydney. However, if you are staying pretty close to the coast in Sydney, sea breezes will temper most of the hotter days, and it can feel cool in the evening.

• Like 2

Light weight clothes and pack a jumper or two and jacket. Also not everywhere has AC and depending where you go the humidity levels vary.

The weather is very variable at the moment in Australia. Also watch the sun. Though you might look up and think oh its cloudy no need to wear hat or apply sunscreen. Wrong. Can still get sunburn. 

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 3

Pack everything! lol. As Jean said - the South Island, NZ, is a different beast. We had 35 degrees the other day.. and then a week later an overnight low of just 8. In March - last year (daytime) Christchurch fluctuated from 30 to just 12. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

It doesn't feel hot in Sydney until it gets to mid 30's, for me anyway. 

Last week was horrible. The temps were only mid 20's but the dew point index was so high it felt hotter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Last week was horrible. The temps were only mid 20's but the dew point index was so high it felt hotter.

Yes it was. Very humid, and a 20 degree morning fog at our place on one morning. I believe some places had a record high dew point.  It was bearable for me, but one of my colleagues was melting in it.

Much easier to be cruising and swimming and eating and drinking and sightseeing and etc.

Our slip slop slap now has seek and slide added as well

Slip on a shirt (spf rated clothing)

Slop on sunscreen

Slap on a hat

Seek shade

Slide on sunglasses

• Like 2

perth should be nice and hot.

I'm going around new Zealand  now, 2nd time this month.

it has mainly been  cold in New Zealand, occasional warm day.

Melbourne was very  cold earlier this month  with one warm day of 31 degrees and plenty of cold days in early 20s. 

Mid-March is usually lovely in NZ, warm, sunny, calm day conditions and no longer humid, a bit cooler in the evenings but still very pleasant - it's therefore the most popular month for local weddings 😊

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Yes it was. Very humid, and a 20 degree morning fog at our place on one morning. I believe some places had a record high dew point.  It was bearable for me, but one of my colleagues was melting in it.

Much easier to be cruising and swimming and eating and drinking and sightseeing and etc.

Our slip slop slap now has seek and slide added as well

Slip on a shirt (spf rated clothing)

Slop on sunscreen

Slap on a hat

Seek shade

Slide on sunglasses

I just head for the nearest air-conditioning unless there is a handy swimming pool, in which case I'll be in the pool!

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

I am on a work PC.

Do I need to be careful clicking a URL that starts with twink?

I trusted what Twink Story said on the steam powered wireless

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I trusted what Twink Story said on the steam powered wireless

Like searching for info on Grinders coffee, you can get unexpected search results with that term.

• Haha 2

While I'm very much an advocate of packing for every possible scenario, we do sell clothing here and on most cruise ships.  Some of my favourite cruise wardrobe has been an unexpected on board purchase.  I've also been known to buy a cardi at an op shop when the weather turned cooler on an excursion and then leave it at the next op shop in the next port.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you get caught out, you can always buy something to tide you over.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

While I'm very much an advocate of packing for every possible scenario, we do sell clothing here and on most cruise ships.  Some of my favourite cruise wardrobe has been an unexpected on board purchase.  I've also been known to buy a cardi at an op shop when the weather turned cooler on an excursion and then leave it at the next op shop in the next port.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you get caught out, you can always buy something to tide you over.  

I do like to be prepared but you’re totally right.  If we forget something or need something I’m sure we can buy it there. Just hoping our checked suitcases make it over and we’ll be good.