The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 22nd, 2024

kazu

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope things start moving along faster for you now.  At least the radiologist got the disc.  Good idea to forward the home phone to the cell.  We've had to do that occasionally.  You can be home for a week but the moment you leave the house for an appointment is when those important calls come through.  Hope the change in meds can do you some good, too.

Thanks Jacqui!  I feel a little like a snitch but shouldn't. They were most grateful, and neighborhoods have those Neighborhood Watches for things like this, don't they?  I know I'd be happy if someone was watching out for me!

Great job and you did the right thing!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just an update.

I thought I was doing really well with the two surgical wounds on my legs. 

Well, guess what.  Last night I could not sleep because both sites were so itchy.  I finally got up and washed both again and put on new dressing.  Today the same thing all day.  

Called Mayo Clinic and spoke with Dematology.  Sent them photos.

Obviously they did not like what they saw.

They want to see me tomorrow at 11 am.  

So we will leave at 7:30 am to make that appointment.  We will come home the same day.

Say a prayer that they can clean out the two wounds tomorrow.

Will update when I get home tomorrow night.

Terri

Your in our thoughts for positive outcome tomorrow Terri.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

I am delighted to hear it.  But, honestly, I have to say that I am not surprised that it was a success - nor that the prior owners are thrilled with your renovations.

Now that you two have been the hostesses with the moistest it’s time to focus on you and….

Get packing 🙂 

Yes, ma'am!

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Remember I said the Amazon driver ran over a neighbor's mailbox and kindly stopped to report it to the owners?  Well DH was outside a while ago checking out some pesky crows pecking on the roof ridge here at our house and the house across the street.  The neighbors whose mailbox was destroyed pulled into their driveway so DH asked what did you think about your mailbox being hit.  They said we were out of town until Sunday so no one was home!  And he left no note!  They had no idea who did it.  So DH told him the story of the dog running loose, me coming into the room to see the dog and then seeing the whole accident happening.  He told them we took photos of the truck and driver and they asked us to send them to their email.  They are contacting Amazon and needed time and date and especially the license plate number, truck # and we even had the driver's face when he walked up to the truck from delivering across the street from us.  We have no idea if he even reported it, but now they should be able to get all costs reimbursed and it won't be cheap.  I'm glad we didn't just delete the photos from the camera thinking he had spoken with them already.  

You are a good neighbor.  Something like that happened in my neighborhood in Ohio except that it was the postman that demolished the neighbor's mailbox. 

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Lenda, thanks. I do have some good news. I sent the message to the NS and her nurse answered. I had told her I had no way to contact the radiologist and hoped they could. The nurse was able to contact someone, who said they had gotten the disk, and they would be calling me tomorrow. Of course I have PT in the afternoon and another appointment, so I'll have to forward my home phone to my cell phone if they haven't called by noon. We also discussed some change in meds to perhaps help the pain. I'm not sure yet about that. So some progress. I'm not usually one to advocate a lot for myself, but this pain made me do it.

Vanessa, I am glad that things are finally moving.  It is way past time for a solution to your problem.  Pain makes me cranky.  

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just an update.

Well, guess what.  Last night I could not sleep because both sites were so itchy.  I finally got up and washed both again and put on new dressing.  Today the same thing all day.  

So we will leave at 7:30 am to make that appointment.  We will come home the same day.

Terri

Aw, Terri, I'm so sorry.  Here's hoping they can take care of the problem easily tomorrow and that the thundercloud over your head moves on.

@ger_77 Thank you for giving us the update on Deb.  It is so sad that she has passed away.  Cancer is a cruel disease. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Have not been to Ushuaia, appreciated seeing all the photos, thank you. 

@aliaschief    Happy Birthday to Sue for tomorrow.

@ger_77  thank you for the sad news of Deb,  I remember following that story.  Cancer is a horrible disease.

@atexsix  thank you for updating us with news of your DF, hope that he is being kept comfortable with Hospice care.

@Cruzin Terri  travel safely tomorrow, hope your wounds can be treated effectively at your appointment.

@rafinmd  hope your oncologist appointment was satisfactory.

@StLouisCruisers  it's great to have very good neighbours like you., 

@RMLincoln  hope Richard's  treatment is effective.  Travel safely.

For anyone who has cruised recently on a BHB,  prior to Covid,when checking in to board the ship,  embarking passengers were given a deck plan of the ship.  Does this still happen?  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Have not been to Ushuaia, appreciated seeing all the photos, thank you. 

@aliaschief    Happy Birthday to Sue for tomorrow.

@ger_77  thank you for the sad news of Deb,  I remember following that story.  Cancer is a horrible disease.

@atexsix  thank you for updating us with news of your DF, hope that he is being kept comfortable with Hospice care.

@Cruzin Terri  travel safely tomorrow, hope your wounds can be treated effectively at your appointment.

@rafinmd  hope your oncologist appointment was satisfactory.

@StLouisCruisers  it's great to have very good neighbours like you., 

@RMLincoln  hope Richard's  treatment is effective.  Travel safely.

For anyone who has cruised recently on a BHB,  prior to Covid,when checking in to board the ship,  embarking passengers were given a deck plan of the ship.  Does this still happen?  

Thank you @erewhon!  So nice of you to say.  No, on my recent cruises on HAL I haven't been given the little deck plan maps they used to give out.  Now that you mention it, I hadn't noticed it!  I hope they bring them back!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you @erewhon!  So nice of you to say.  No, on my recent cruises on HAL I haven't been given the little deck plan maps they used to give out.  Now that you mention it, I hadn't noticed it!  I hope they bring them back!

Thank you for your reply, the little fold up deck plan maps were very helpful, especially for the first few days on board.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, erewhon said:

when checking in to board the ship,  embarking passengers were given a deck plan of the ship.  Does this still happen?  

The deck plan is available on the Navigator App.  Bottom of screen “ plan”IMG_8941.thumb.png.8cc4dd8e2d7149b58666529ade1aaf27.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for your reply, the little fold up deck plan maps were very helpful, especially for the first few days on board.

I have not received a printed deckplan since the restart. When it's working correctly, there is one in the Navigator App that defaults to ypur current ship.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I am going to try to answer everyone’s comments at one time.  

Thank you for all your positive comments.  

1, We go to the Mayo because most of the providers here in the Hilton Head area have are now involved in Concierge Medicine.  They expect anywhere from $3000 to $5000 upfront to care for you.  The ones that do not participate in Concierge Medicine are not worth their salt.  Ergo, i go to the Mayo Clinic.  DH.  Has a PCP who does not participate, but I do not care for him for myself.  I am quite happy with the care I get at the Mayo. It requires a trip, but I feel it is well worth it for the quality of care I get there.

2. We will not stay overnight tomorrow.  We are going on a cruise on Jan. 31.  We are leaving on Jan. 29, I expect this to be resolved by that time.  I have too many things to do here and an overnight stay will take too much time.   If we get there by 11 am, we will get home by 3 pm.  We will go out to dinner and then have all day Wednesday to get ourselves together for the cruise.

3. I have 3 appointments on Thursday, Friday and Saturday before our departure.  I really don’t need to take the time of staying overnight.  I never got the finances done today.  Spent most of the day trying to get the legs to feel better.

Thank you all for your concern.  Please say a prayer that they can take care of this tomorrow and we can still go on our cruise,  I need a rest,.  I wish I can name you all, but I can’t. It is too muc like work and I have to be up by 6 am to take a shower. We have to be out of her by 7:30 am to get there on time.  i need a one hour cushion, just in case. 

Will update tomorrow when I can.

Thank you all again.

Terri

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just an update.

Terri

Oh dear, Terri.  I’m glad you were on the problem and called right away.  My prayers are with you that they can resolve it for you tomorrow 🙏 

Please be careful on the drive there.

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

I’m like the others.  Have been on several cruise post covid and no paper deck plan is given out.  I think they expect you to use the Navigator app to know where you are going.  It works but I did like that little deck plan.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good night from Bethesda Maryland. We made it safe and sound. We even found a better routing that I’m sure will become our normal. 
I brought food for our in-room supper tonight. DH can’t have breakfast tomorrow but I can. We don’t need to leave here till noon which seems nice, no hurries. But Wednesday will be early out. We have a 9:00 appt at the doctor’s office for her to check her surgery, hopefully all will be good and we’ll head home. 

It was 4 hrs 20 mins driving today. DH drove the first hr. We took a little break and I drove 3 hrs. I’m more confident I’ll be ok getting us home. Granddaughter and hubby both reminded me they could drop everything and come help drive. It’s very comforting to know they are willing and able!  

Thanks for all your support!  @StLouisCruisers @Quartzsite Cruiser @JazzyV, @rafinmd @kazuand each of you, named or not! 
@Cruzin Terri I’m so sorry you need to get back to Mayo. Extra blessings for healing and protection on the roads. 
@kochleffel Paul I hope that cough gets what will help!  @ottahand7 Good news you’re better, not do good John is coughing!  Ugh!  

@atexsix One day at a time is Everything!  Sometimes we have to do hard things. Sending you both some extra blessings!  

Celebration of Life…. Easier said ….  Thanks for the news of Deb’s passing Gerry @ger_77  That just feels so wrong. I remember we were in Houston getting cancer treatment, holed up then. That story was riveting and had such a good outcome. So many people were providing information, flight tracking I think Eva helped with. And John’s heroic efforts. All while we were running out of supplies, wiping down groceries, quarantining. I had two EMT friends mail us supplies for our upcoming trip home- one sent 3 pairs of medical gloves for each of us for gas pumps! - small and XL!  The other sent real hand sanitizer!  For our 1000 mile drive home we carried our food and a tent in case the car broke down!  Those were wild times!  

Good night all, tomorrow’s a big day. Putting one foot in front of the others!  Glad we can!  
Maureen 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Good night from Bethesda Maryland. We made it safe and sound. We even found a better routing that I’m sure will become our normal. 
I brought food for our in-room supper tonight. DH can’t have breakfast tomorrow but I can. We don’t need to leave here till noon which seems nice, no hurries. But Wednesday will be early out. We have a 9:00 appt at the doctor’s office for her to check her surgery, hopefully all will be good and we’ll head home. 

It was 4 hrs 20 mins driving today. DH drove the first hr. We took a little break and I drove 3 hrs. I’m more confident I’ll be ok getting us home. Granddaughter and hubby both reminded me they could drop everything and come help drive. It’s very comforting to know they are willing and able!  

Thanks for all your support!  @StLouisCruisers @Quartzsite Cruiser @JazzyV, @rafinmd @kazuand each of you, named or not! 
@Cruzin Terri I’m so sorry you need to get back to Mayo. Extra blessings for healing and protection on the roads. 
@kochleffel Paul I hope that cough gets what will help!  @ottahand7 Good news you’re better, not do good John is coughing!  Ugh!  

@atexsix One day at a time is Everything!  Sometimes we have to do hard things. Sending you both some extra blessings!  

Celebration of Life…. Easier said ….  Thanks for the news of Deb’s passing Gerry @ger_77  That just feels so wrong. I remember we were in Houston getting cancer treatment, holed up then. That story was riveting and had such a good outcome. So many people were providing information, flight tracking I think Eva helped with. And John’s heroic efforts. All while we were running out of supplies, wiping down groceries, quarantining. I had two EMT friends mail us supplies for our upcoming trip home- one sent 3 pairs of medical gloves for each of us for gas pumps! - small and XL!  The other sent real hand sanitizer!  For our 1000 mile drive home we carried our food and a tent in case the car broke down!  Those were wild times!  

Good night all, tomorrow’s a big day. Putting one foot in front of the others!  Glad we can!  
Maureen 

Glad you made it safely.  Best wishes for a good outcome tomorrow.

Lenda

• Like 9

18 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Just getting up and around. Another sea day. Our Arabic themed Chef’s dinner was superb. We followed dinner with the evening show which was two soprano’s who did some great mostly operatic arias.
Have not read the Insider yet to see what’s on the agenda for today. It feels like the ship is riding a bit smoother this morning but definitely know we are on a ship at sea.

In need of coffee so will head up to Windows (Lido) and join early bird Sue.

Tomorrow we will celebrate Sue’s birthday as we sail at 15 knots toward Easter Island.

Jacqui thanks for getting the Daily started. Enjoy the day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.2843e549f6dc27ef0afa3c0968f6d952.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6ffc353452024e2c3ae3fa17fe28e6d6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb8fe035dabea7402410339f92dd984d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d5083aac867ed77f468ec43538d249dd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5986c232e11fe7ff234eee6eda2a207b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cee46cfb8b0476d5a2ac5f867ce2a607.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.270ab5ce678f807a3773428b77269921.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.86ec02763d3737b81a2fc0a7c6b2c1d5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.24fab0b67a10acae07060e51644c6559.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2ca055819e460209623c02e619f71ec9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1b59201739753652a23e07f6d8da7a27.jpeg

Nice photos and meme's Bruce @aliaschief

• Like 5

18 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

In 2012 the Star Princess was denied entry to Ushuaia because of politics, explained earlier, and the second time was in 2015 on Ruby Princess.  Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Steve were onboard with us but I didn't know her at the time.  It was a bit damp in Ushuaia that morning as all the streets on my photos are wet.

The next stop there was Dec. 26, 2016 while on Seabourn Quest.  Here is my favorite picture that day.  DH and I walked into the visitor center, which had automatic door openers on them.  The doors were open a lot since everybody wanted maps and info.  One of the stray dogs in town walked in, circled the room and laid down right in front of DH.  He actually laid his body on DH's foot!  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJN1bObDTrFgOSUmOAAJb_i?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484521121

Here's the staff busy with visitors.  No one really noticed this pup taking a nap in there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKcmULdQd3jCowyo1yYLUDu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484527378

A few of that dog's friends heading towards the visitor center for a nap.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOA5SCX8jKNqJT2EMSff22?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485042230

There are a lot of interesting buildings in Ushuaia.  Many types of architecture.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Everybody who walks the streets there sees this wall mural and has to take a photo of it.

I always like to go by this building and then go into the great souvenir store nearby.

Just outside the back door of the souvenir shop is this terrific garden.

Shortly after the Quest arrived, a Princess ship docked across from us.  Here's the view from the garden before we headed back.

I can't believe the difference in size between the two ships! 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKhkkmZ7Xc2KzNmtLnat1qC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485042273

Quest was such a cozy little ship.🥰 

Our final visit to Ushuaia was on Coral Princess in January 2020 on an Antarctica cruise.  That was the final cruise for us before Covid hit.  It would be 28 months before we were back to cruising but unfortunately we caught Covid on that 2022 cruise.  

Lovely photos Sandi.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, atexsix said:

Thank you to all the people that wrote, it means a lot:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

@kazu

@dfish

@JazzyV We're starting to have food delivered because I don't have time to grocery shop and cook. Fortunately we now qualify for a home health aide and because he's hospice we don't have to wait as long, it' just a matter of getting the paperwork done.

@ottahand7

@quilty964

@Seasick Sailor Yes, Dad was in the army, drafted during the Vietnam era, but because he never went to Vietnam he doesn't get any pension, thanks Uncle Sam!  They keep changing the date ranges on this, but it'll probably be too late for him by the time it's expanded.

@luvteaching Sadly, he doesn't remember that Hawaii cruise.  It's so sad, all of our beautiful memories are now gone.  Keep taking those fantastic photos people, some day it might be all you have!

@aliaschief

@smitty34877

@rafinmd

@maryandmarge

@dobiemom Now that he's officially hospice we can qualify for that program, in the past we didn't.

@Cruzin Terri Dad was recently diagnosed with Mild Cog Impairment, but I think there's some early dementia in the mix as well, those tests only measure a fraction of what I see 24/7.  

@StLouisCruisers

@bennybear

@puppycanducruise

On Respite: Lots of great advice and I will try and take advantage of all the help that is offered, and there's quite a bit available, I'm just nervous about having more strangers in/out of the house.  Not that I don't trust them, we have yet to have any problems of that nature, and I lock everything in my office safe as the V.A. suggested.  But I'm always afraid they are going to bring something in here from other homes they visit like illness of course, or bugs. 

On Prayer: I've recently rediscovered my faith, I normally don't get into things that personal, but it's relevant in this case; Dad's church and I are not on good terms because of some disagreements with the leadership, it's going to create problems for the funeral down the road, so I'm currently trying to fix all that on top of all the caregiving.  So thanks for all the prayers n thoughts no matter what your belief system.

As usual, I will try to pop in and give updates, and just pop in and read about all the fantastic cruises, if anything I can keep up with the latest fads, because I will return to sailing some day.  

Take care,

Bruno

Sending you our prayers and best wishes Brunu @atexsix for your dad.

God bless you both.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

P&O have the deckplans in a little pouch that used to have your key card in at reception which you have to ask for.

Their room key cards are in an envelope in the docket next to the cabin door on embarkation now 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I am going to try to answer everyone’s comments at one time.  

Thank you for all your positive comments.  

1, We go to the Mayo because most of the providers here in the Hilton Head area have are now involved in Concierge Medicine.  They expect anywhere from $3000 to $5000 upfront to care for you.  The ones that do not participate in Concierge Medicine are not worth their salt.  Ergo, i go to the Mayo Clinic.  DH.  Has a PCP who does not participate, but I do not care for him for myself.  I am quite happy with the care I get at the Mayo. It requires a trip, but I feel it is well worth it for the quality of care I get there.

2. We will not stay overnight tomorrow.  We are going on a cruise on Jan. 31.  We are leaving on Jan. 29, I expect this to be resolved by that time.  I have too many things to do here and an overnight stay will take too much time.   If we get there by 11 am, we will get home by 3 pm.  We will go out to dinner and then have all day Wednesday to get ourselves together for the cruise.

3. I have 3 appointments on Thursday, Friday and Saturday before our departure.  I really don’t need to take the time of staying overnight.  I never got the finances done today.  Spent most of the day trying to get the legs to feel better.

Thank you all for your concern.  Please say a prayer that they can take care of this tomorrow and we can still go on our cruise,  I need a rest,.  I wish I can name you all, but I can’t. It is too muc like work and I have to be up by 6 am to take a shower. We have to be out of her by 7:30 am to get there on time.  i need a one hour cushion, just in case. 

Will update tomorrow when I can.

Thank you all again.

Terri

Sending you our best wishes and prayers 🙏 for a good outcome Terri.

Graham.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope things start moving along faster for you now.  At least the radiologist got the disc.  Good idea to forward the home phone to the cell.  We've had to do that occasionally.  You can be home for a week but the moment you leave the house for an appointment is when those important calls come through.  Hope the change in meds can do you some good, too.

Thanks Jacqui!  I feel a little like a snitch but shouldn't. They were most grateful, and neighborhoods have those Neighborhood Watches for things like this, don't they?  I know I'd be happy if someone was watching out for me!

You were being a good neighbour Sandi and I bet that driver thought he got away with it and your friends would have had a big repair bill.

I wish you were our neighbour.

• Like 6