New format test

On 1/23/2024 at 10:57 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

I just posted this on the other response thread to this "test", but thought it might have merit here as well and perhaps will elicit a response from you.

I have what I think are a couple of legitimate questions.  What is your end game goal with revising this format?  You reference reddit more than once on these response threads.  Do you want to shape CC after them?  Their primary demographics is the 18 - 29 age group.  How does that relate to Cruise Critic at all?  I won't do it here but suggest you study reddit's mission statement and tell me how that relates to that of Cruise Critic.  I guess I don't see the connection between the two forums even remotely, in particular with wanting to copy and install the upvote function now as a key element to the thread discussions.

Maybe I'm missing something, so please enlighten me.

Plus there are no demerits on Reddit and the suspensions there are for some pretty heinous actions not just off topics, smarta$$ answers, or mentioning the C word.  If they want to be more like Reddit, they would need to stop most of the thread locks and post deletes.  I don't see that happening.  

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And a great majority of the regular posters are applauding.

So, the regular (most frequent) posters "downvoted" the concept and it went "poof", isn't that the way it is supposed to work?

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 3:10 PM, Kristelle said:

I find this sort of attitude very annoying.

whenever people give negative feedback about a change some people's reaction is just to label them haters of change, complainers etc

It is an ad honinem  way of dismissing people's opinion and making it personal rather than addressing  content of what they said.

At some point in this last period of time I've commented that generally I'm a lover of change...but only if it improves things. I didn't even see the path for improvement.

PS: I've been checking here once a day and was SO pleased to see this change. I hope it's permanent or at least until you come up with something better. THANKS, @LauraS

On 1/23/2024 at 12:24 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Can you define “upvoting”?

How does it differ from “voting”?

If there is an action referred to as “upvoting”, shouldn’t there also be “downvoting”?

Can there be an “up” anything without there also being a “down”?

I think when you vote for a post, it moves UP the list. Hence, upvoting.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think when you vote for a post, it moves UP the list. Hence, upvoting.  

I am sure you are right - but what’s the point?   I know you get a feel for whether a lot of people like something - but is that why you hang out on Cruise Critic - to see if other people might like someone else’s post - without knowing why?

And, if you happen to be so in need of fluffy information that you want to see how many people like certain posts,  shouldn’t you also be interested in knowing how many people disliked those posts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am sure you are right - but what’s the point?   I know you get a feel for whether a lot of people like something - but is that why you hang out on Cruise Critic - to see if other people might like someone else’s post - without knowing why?

And, if you happen to be so in need of fluffy information that you want to see how many people like certain posts,  shouldn’t you also be interested in knowing how many people disliked those posts?

If this were a Q&A with clear cut answers, then it might be important (and most threads would be three posts long).  Otherwise, I don't know.  I was just attempting to answer your question about why it is called an upvote.  

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

One thing about people liking a post it usually means people agree with the statement made which is similar to corroborating a statement. Therefore there must be some truth to the statement if others feel their experiences match that statement enough for them to like or up vote the post. I know it is not a perfect system, and demographics would play a part in the results but I do think there is some value in seeing how others react to a post. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

One thing about people liking a post it usually means people agree with the statement made which is similar to corroborating a statement. Therefore there must be some truth to the statement if others feel their experiences match that statement enough for them to like or up vote the post. I know it is not a perfect system, and demographics would play a part in the results but I do think there is some value in seeing how others react to a post. 

Well, on every post we can "like," "thanks," and "laugh." Works for me.

• Like 3

Many thanks to @LauraS for abandoning this potential change, which seems pretty pointless (posts can be "liked"), would remove some useful features and would put conversations out of synch.

Despite the rhetoric from myself and most other contributors, sometime changes can be good.

Testing them, which has been done for a week on this forum, brings out the problems.

I shall now ask Bill Gates to consider testing planned changes on his customer, to avoid a repeat of disasters such as Windows 8 😏

JB 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, clo said:

Well, on every post we can "like," "thanks," and "laugh." Works for me.

And there was no widespread negative reaction to that change. It is not changes that people oppose automatically, only changes that seem to make no sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And there was no widespread negative reaction to that change. It is not changes that people oppose automatically, only changes that seem to make no sense. 

... or that make the situation *worse*... make it *more* difficult to do whatever one would be doing.

GC

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, whogo said:

I hope the return to normalcy is permanent. The change added nothing for me and I missed seeing the time stamp on the last post in a thread.

Right.

That last time stamp helped a LOT in quickly figuring "how far back" to look without unintentionally re-reading some posts a second time.

A *lot* of information is contained in the current formatting, and almost all of it was lost.

So much better the first way.

GC

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Hey, I like your answers (see what I did there!).  

It wasn't the votes so much that I took exception to.   It was how the changes confused the flow of the threads.  Who knows, perhaps the forum folks will come up with a way to show the most popular post(s) without disrupting the thread.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Right.

That last time stamp helped a LOT in quickly figuring "how far back" to look without unintentionally re-reading some posts a second time.

A *lot* of information is contained in the current formatting, and almost all of it was lost.

So much better the first way.

GC

Yes, I am sure most if not all of us, look for the number of hours since we read last as the starting point to begin checking out which threads might be of interest. That was lost in the experimental layout of the forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I am sure most if not all of us, look for the number of hours since we read last as the starting point to begin checking out which threads might be of interest. That was lost in the experimental layout of the forum.

I just click on the "go to first unread post" on any given thread.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I just click on the "go to first unread post" on any given thread.

That assumes one reads every thread. I don't think there are enough hours in the day for me to do that for all the cc forums I read.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That assumes one reads every thread. I don't think there are enough hours in the day for me to do that for all the cc forums I read.

Well, I only click on the threads I'm interested in, not all of the ones with unread posts.

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, I only click on the threads I'm interested in, not all of the ones with unread posts.

Ok, we are the same. I just go by how many hours since I read last to find those threads. And there might also be a topic started since the last I read that I find might be interesting.