Pool Towel Bogus Charge

Ugh. Off Explorer on Sunday and just got my cruise statement emailed today, and there's a BS charge for pool towels that I returned. I literally stood there as the staff member scanned my card, and I heard the computer beep.

The charge was NOT there when I left the ship. I checked.  Glad I hadn't completed the survey yet.  Now I have to waste time tomorrow trying to get this fixed. 😡  I'm wondering which number is best to call, and if I should expect a hassle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There has been a scam going around where it looks like an actual charge from the cruise line, instead is a scammer fishing for victims. Hopefully this is not the case, and a mistake that can be reversed.

We also had a bogus towel charge on last week’s cruise on Harmony. I was concerned we were in for trouble when we scanned to check out the towels but she just wrote down the return on a handwritten list. Luckily the charge appeared on the second-to-last day so I was able to go to guest services, who reversed it without an issue. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coralc said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/are-beach-pool-towels-provided-onboard

If you returned all checked-out towels but still received a charge, please call our Post Cruise department at 800-256-6649 for further review.

Ugh. The website says post cruise assistance is 24 hours a day Monday to Thursday, but then I hear a message to call back during business hours and the call disconnected.  Guess I'll try back after 9 and see what happens.  Gosh, they have terrible customer service 😡

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

There has been a scam going around where it looks like an actual charge from the cruise line, instead is a scammer fishing for victims. Hopefully this is not the case, and a mistake that can be reversed.

It's a charge on my final statement that was emailed to me

8 minutes ago, Cruzin-K said:

It's a charge on my final statement that was emailed to me

That is how the scammers contact thier victims, usually a phone # with the email to contact, my understanding it that it looks very convincing, just putting it out there, as long as you are sure of who you will be talking to, proceed.

8 hours ago, Cruzin-K said:

Ugh. Off Explorer on Sunday and just got my cruise statement emailed today, and there's a BS charge for pool towels that I returned. I literally stood there as the staff member scanned my card, and I heard the computer beep.

The charge was NOT there when I left the ship. I checked.  Glad I hadn't completed the survey yet.  Now I have to waste time tomorrow trying to get this fixed. 😡  I'm wondering which number is best to call, and if I should expect a hassle.

I'm not really sure why someone thought a laughing emoji was appropriate for this post.🤔

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not really sure why someone thought a laughing emoji was appropriate for this post.🤔

Well, he's probably perfect, you know, and for sure would have checked his statement at the crack of dawn on departure day, giving himself plenty of time to wait in line at Guest Services before having to leave the ship. I mean, I must deserve this for assuming when the nice crew member literally scanned my sea pass card to check in the towels, that they got checked back in. 😜

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

That is how the scammers contact thier victims, usually a phone # with the email to contact, my understanding it that it looks very convincing, just putting it out there, as long as you are sure of who you will be talking to, proceed.

If it's a scammer they are going to send you an e mail hoping you will give them your credit card.

In the OPs case the charge was on their credit card which means they have the card number and the charge was from Royal.

Rambling thoughts

My system for avoiding towel charges: 

- Pick up the towels you need on Day 1.  

- Throughout the week, never return them; rather, exchange them for fresh towels.  The fewer times your cabin number goes in/out of the computer, the fewer opportunities for human error.  

- On last day, return them and -- as the OP said -- stand there and BE SURE they're clicked in /returned.  Ask the crew member if your party's towels are ALL returned.  

I haven't heard of this being a scam, but it's possible.  Some people work 24/7 at taking other people's money.  I'd say call Royal yourself and verify that you've been charged.  As to the quality of Customer Service, I always get through by calling either early or late -- never mid-day.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

2 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

This makes absolutely no sense. How is a scammer going to benefit by adding a charge to your Royal final folio statement? 

hint: they aren’t, they can’t, they won’t. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This makes absolutely no sense. How is a scammer going to benefit by adding a charge to your Royal final folio statement? 

The scammer, "And what is the credit card number for the refund?"   

Phishing works be pretending to be a legit company.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many times that I have returned towels the scanner was "not working" and they would "write it down".

Sometimes it works and other times I get charged for towels.

I do like the Royal App so I can check my account.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cruisinconniebean said:

Same thing happened to me from my recent Odyssey cruise.  Just called Royal to dispute the charge and hopefully will see the refund in 7-10 days. I wonder how many get these charges and don't dispute it--must be a pretty penny they are making on it.

Probably the real reason Royal goes through the bother of checking out towels.   

I was talking to my sis-in-law last weekend and she mentioned that her ex-boyfriend is still paying for her DirectTv even though they broke up 10 years ago.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruisinconniebean said:

Same thing happened to me from my recent Odyssey cruise.  Just called Royal to dispute the charge and hopefully will see the refund in 7-10 days. I wonder how many get these charges and don't dispute it--must be a pretty penny they are 

Just a few hundred passengers per cruise, for each ship, could add up to millions 😳

Edited by Cruzin-K

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

They then ask for your cc number to give you a credit, pretty reliable scam.

5 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

The scammer, "And what is the credit card number for the refund?"   

Phishing works be pretending to be a legit company.   

10 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

They then ask for your cc number to give you a credit, pretty reliable scam.

When you call Royal??? 

Right, whatever 

• Like 1