Room Service Fee up to $12?

mkmaj

On our first (and perhaps last) Celebrity cruise in November that was the room service fee except for continental breakfast using the door hanger order card.  That was at no charge.

• Thanks 1

Ok thank you. For some reason I thought it was $9.95.

I would ask why it was your last but we just booked our first so I'm not sure if I want to know the answer 😬

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mkmaj said:

I would ask why it was your last but we just booked our first so I'm not sure if I want to know the answer 😬

plus tax and grat

• Thanks 1

That's it!!! I have the current cruise on our ship pulled up and it's out of the country. Thanks so much!

We can return to regularly scheduled programming now 😀.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, mkmaj said:

I believe the $12 is the $9.95 plus gratuity.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mkmaj said:

I wrote a review on it which is in this forum and on the Cruise Critic review section for the Celebrity Summit.  Been cruising for decades with dozens of cruises under my belt.  I found Celebrity to be okay, not great, not terrible, just average.  No better than Royal Caribbean, worse than HAL but a step up from Carnival and NCL.  But that's just my experience, others may be thrilled with their X sailings.  You may indeed love it.  Go with an open mind and see how the Celebrity experience works for you.

My next three cruises are booked on luxury lines:  Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. 

Enjoy your cruise!  🛳️

• Thanks 1

Seems kind of odd to have a gratuity added to a service charge.  Typically, in a restaurant tipping culture, the food and beverage is one price and the gratuity is calculated to cover the cost of serving the food and beverage.  So to charge for that service and than also add a mandatory gratuity is double dipping.  That's like saying we are going to charge you a nuisance fee for a small order, and oh by the way, we're going to add a gratuity to that too.  Mind you, I am a very generous tipper.  I just think this mandatory smoke and mirrors is a little vulgar.  JMHO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

Seems kind of odd to have a gratuity added to a service charge.  Typically, in a restaurant tipping culture, the food and beverage is one price and the gratuity is calculated to cover the cost of serving the food and beverage.  So to charge for that service and than also add a mandatory gratuity is double dipping.  That's like saying we are going to charge you a nuisance fee for a small order, and oh by the way, we're going to add a gratuity to that too.  Mind you, I am a very generous tipper.  I just think this mandatory smoke and mirrors is a little vulgar.  JMHO

Happens here with pizza delivery. Service charge by the restaurant plus you tip the driver.

To clarify: you can still get FREE Continental/cold breakfast, fruit, cereal, pastries (and toast), coffee, juice, smoothies, etc.  No gratuity, no $10 charge. It's the left side of the breakfast menu. Everything else--hot breakfast and all other meals, is $9.95 plus 18% gratuity. I believe this is the charge for an entire order, not per person. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Happens here with pizza delivery. Service charge by the restaurant plus you tip the driver.

Except the additional tipping is not mandatory and/or fixed at 18% (or 20%) of the service charge.  The superadded gratuities are a nice way for everybody to share the wealth (or divide the booty, depending on your point of view).  Celebrity gets something directly for providing a service and the crew get a taste of the wealth through gratuities.  Welcome to cruising 2024.

Edited by d9704011

From the Celebrity website :

https://www.celebritycruises.com/nz/faqs/faq-fragments/enjoying-your-cruise-fragments/room-service

Note the answer to the second question "Do you have room service" goes back to the introduction of the charge in December 2022, since when 18% has increased to 20%, presumably for ease of calculation. Then they round up the actual $11.93 to $12.00.

15 hours ago, mkmaj said:

I'm sailing on Beyond 1 April 2024, my app shows room service 9.95 plus 20% grat equal 11.94

• Thanks 1