Anyone catching covid on vacation

tweety33

55 minutes ago, jsglow said:

@ledges1, we're back to a point where folks have assumed responsibility for their own health decisions. And that's a very good thing.

In my opinion, many of the covid cases could have been avoided in the first place by folks just taking responsibility for their own health.  

learning to wash your hands properly is a great first step!  (just rinsing your fingertips is NOT washing!)

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

In my opinion, many of the covid cases could have been avoided in the first place by folks just taking responsibility for their own health.  

learning to wash your hands properly is a great first step!  (just rinsing your fingertips is NOT washing!)

Covid doesn't commonly spread through physical contact, so washing your hands doesn't really help there. It's predominantly airborne transmission. On the other hand, hand washing is very important in preventing noro. And that may be the worse ailment at this point. A case of covid is hardly more than a cold now for most people since we've been vaxed so many times.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

I have done a ton of traveling since 2020, including 17 Carnival cruises, the last of which was 2 months ago.

The only time I caught Covid was during a land vacation in Germany in 2022. It was like a bad chest cold. Got to stay an extra week there because they wouldn't let me on the plane to go home until I tested negative.

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 3

One good thing about Covid now is, it’s not the same Covid as in 2020. The bad part about it, is that it’s airborne, and to add to that, before people even feel sick at all, they’re spreading it around. 
There’s not much you can do about that. 

• Like 3

DH and I took Airborne before our 1/14/1/24 cruise....and while on board.

We both had "a cold" when we got home.  That was Tuesday.  I took Zicam; DH didn't.  We're both fine now (3 days later).  Don't know what it was, don't care what it was.

Everyone is responsible for his own health.  If someone wants to wear a mask and wash their hands  multliple times a day....that's their choice.  You get sick...you built up immunity.

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 6

We did the NYE cruise on the Celebration.  On the last sea day, hubby was so sick we went to the Medical Canter.  Negative for COVID but positive for Influenza A.  They did have Tamifly onboard so that was helpful.

He was isolated to his room, but Carnival had us debark with the masses.  I asked if there was a special debark procedure, and was told no, only for COVID. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, angelsfort said:

I hope that you mean you didn't care if you had it or not, so therefor did not test yourself...  LOL  and not that you did not care that your wife was sick!

Correct, I didn't test, 

1 hour ago, lazydayz said:

We did the NYE cruise on the Celebration.  On the last sea day, hubby was so sick we went to the Medical Canter.  Negative for COVID but positive for Influenza A.  They did have Tamifly onboard so that was helpful.

He was isolated to his room, but Carnival had us debark with the masses.  I asked if there was a special debark procedure, and was told no, only for COVID. 

Influenza  A has been rampant locally but people keep testing themselves for the Vid until it is too late for Tamiflu 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lazydayz said:

There has never been anything special for people with Norovirus and you shred that virus for a week.  

8 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I have done a ton of traveling since 2020, including 17 Carnival cruises, the last of which was 2 months ago.

The only time I caught Covid was during a land vacation in Germany in 2022. It was like a bad chest cold. Got to stay an extra week there because they wouldn't let me on the plane to go home until I tested negative.

I traveled throughout 2020 to WDW, Las Vegas and throughout my state.  Finally caught it in 2021 from a co-worker who never left town.  Just a runny nose

• Like 2

I had a runny nose last year sometime after a cruise. I only tested myself because my daughter-in-law was pregnant. I was positive so stayed away from her until I was negative. About 5 days. 

I otherwise was able to do my normal morning run right through this experience and live pretty much as usual. If it was not for her, I would not have tested myself. It was my only experience with Covid and my husband and I did everything we were "allowed" to throughout .... went to restaurants the day they re-opened, etc. 

Happy and healthy cruising, all.

• Like 2

After 32 cruises without covid, we finally caught it on the Carnival Vista in December. I started with sinus drainage the night we got home, and 24 hours later we were both very sick. It was the worst and longest illness either of us ever had, lasting 16 days with heavy symptoms, then another 3 days of improvement.  The MDR was just dismal in so many ways, but the worst of it was the server.  He removed our forks from our uneaten appetizers (uneaten because they were awful) and placed them on the bare table so we could use them again for our entrees. When I asked for salad dressing for my absolutely dry salad, he lifted a few pieces of lettuce with my fork and told me it was probably on the bottom (it wasn’t). I know Covid is very contagious and the ship was extremely crowded, but I believe it came from the MDR.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

After 32 cruises without covid, we finally caught it on the Carnival Vista in December. I started with sinus drainage the night we got home, and 24 hours later we were both very sick. It was the worst and longest illness either of us ever had, lasting 16 days with heavy symptoms, then another 3 days of improvement.  The MDR was just dismal in so many ways, but the worst of it was the server.  He removed our forks from our uneaten appetizers (uneaten because they were awful) and placed them on the bare table so we could use them again for our entrees. When I asked for salad dressing for my absolutely dry salad, he lifted a few pieces of lettuce with my fork and told me it was probably on the bottom (it wasn’t). I know Covid is very contagious and the ship was extremely crowded, but I believe it came from the MDR.  

Coincidentally we also got it on Vista, in November.  Could have gotten it anywhere (we didn't use the MDR).

As others have mentioned, it is not going anywhere and here to stay, like forever.  Some can deal with that, some will live in fear forever (justified or not), some ignore in one form or fashion.  Op, figure out what is the way you want to deal with it.  Not being critical, just factual.

• Like 4

Returned from cruise January 21.  Felt mild symptoms since the day before and tested positive for Covid when I got home.  Two of the five of us who sailed together got it.  So far the others are ok.  Mine was a mild case, my friend is much sicker but seems to be getting better.  Didn't feel sick before traveling or see anyone who was sick onboard.  We probably caught it in a crowded elevator or waiting to get into dining room.  Perhaps we caught it the weekend before on the flight down to Florida.  I had Covid last October after returning from Austria and should have still been immune.  Different variants I guess.  Covid would not keep me from sailing again - it's all over the place.  

26 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

As others have mentioned, it is not going anywhere and here to stay, like forever.  Some can deal with that, some will live in fear forever (justified or not), some ignore in one form or fashion.  Op, figure out what is the way you want to deal with it.  Not being critical, just factual.

I agree that each individual has to decide how they will deal with COVID/Flu/head cold/norovirus/etc…. In my opinion people will revert to old habits from the past. Those with compromised immune systems will try to practice better habits. I do believe the cruise industry is faltering by falling back into old habits. Ships are not being cleaned as they were after COVID. Maybe they were cleaned better because the occupancy was lower and staff was available. Now occupancy is exceeding 100% per Carnival new releases. The industry will need to step up their sanitation game plan or they could find themselves under fire again. With the staff having more rooms to clean, tables to bus with less staff in the same time frame, sanitation will take steps backward. We hope the results are not as before.

• Like 1

I caught it, and sinusitis, on my cruise on the Celebration last June.  Could have first caught it on the flight to Miami or could have caught it on board the ship.  First started feeling poorly about 2 days before the end of the trip.  A visit to the medical center revealed negative tests for flu, strep and COVID.  After arriving home, I tested again for COVID, and it was positive.  I’ve learned that you can feel poorly and still test negative for a day or 2 before testing positive.