Excursion Tipping

I was just going through the excursion info on Princess’ app and came across the gratuity guidelines of $2 for a half day and $4 for a full day. Is this correct?? It seems a little low. I know tipping has gone crazy, and I’m just curious what others generally tip. What if it’s a pricey Alaska tour vs. a significantly cheaper snorkel tour in the Caribbean? The tour guide gets the same amount?  

Thoughts are appreciated 🙂

IMG_7942.thumb.jpeg.8e196252038045cd929f0c8f741c768f.jpeg

• Like 1

We tip whatever we feel is warranted. I have never seen this Princess "guideline". We did not tip at all for an excursion in Iceland for many reasons.

• Like 3

I’d tip whatever you feel is appropriate based on the size of the tour group and the service you receive. The amounts suggested seem like minimum starting points.

As an example, I’d tip a guide very differently for a fantastic tour for a small group that involved real effort on their part or setting up equipment (hiking, kayaking, scuba diving etc)than I would a guide who narrated a driving only city tour for a motor coach filled with people.

• Like 3

What if you were on excursion in Japan or Singapore or other country where tipping is not the custom, if not officially frowned upon, would you still follow Princess' recommendations?

I suggest you travel internationally. When you do, you see how crazy (your word) the American tipping thing is. It's a gratuity, not a service charge. Large, small or none, it's your choice. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1sttimertoalaska said:

I was just going through the excursion info on Princess’ app and came across the gratuity guidelines of $2 for a half day and $4 for a full day. Is this correct?? It seems a little low. I know tipping has gone crazy, and I’m just curious what others generally tip. What if it’s a pricey Alaska tour vs. a significantly cheaper snorkel tour in the Caribbean? The tour guide gets the same amount?  

Thoughts are appreciated 🙂

IMG_7942.thumb.jpeg.8e196252038045cd929f0c8f741c768f.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm a little surprised Princess would want to go into the whole tipping thing with people who are NOT their employees.  Do they also have guidelines for the cruise terminal porters, shuttle drivers, and/or flight attendants?

Without going too far in the weeds on this, I usually tip more than this guideline on my cruise line excursions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

What if you were on excursion in Japan or Singapore or other country where tipping is not the custom, if not officially frowned upon, would you still follow Princess' recommendations?

I suggest you travel internationally. When you do, you see how crazy (your word) the American tipping thing is. It's a gratuity, not a service charge. Large, small or none, it's your choice. 

This American totally agrees with you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do NOT tip on Princess shore excursions, I've paid a premium and the tour guides are employees of a tour company with benefits.  I do tip on private excursions since I consider it more like a taxi where I tip.I have been curious about what others do so on my last cruise last month I watched people get off the bus. I saw about 50% of the people tipped and 50% did not so apparently there is no consensus. 

A few years ago we were China. There was a Princess recommendation for tipping the tour guides. We were on the land portion of the tour and got to know the guide after 5 days. I asked why in a non tipping country this was even brought up. He was brutally honest and said only you Americans tip and if you want to give away your money we're happy to take it. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

That screen shot must be from the new app...I've never seen that before and quite honestly, I think it's way off base.  ***IF*** you were so inclined to tip (strictly my opinion here) I would think those numbers are low.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Actually, I have traveled internationally extensively. When I travel, I follow the customs of the area as not to offend anyone while still showing my appreciation.

I called tipping in America “crazy” because in the last few years it seems to be moving that way. I’ve heard stories of people tipping non-traditional service people from nurses all the way to bridal gown salespeople. I put myself through college being a waitress so I understand the need to be generous when warranted. Sometimes it just seems to have gone a little far in the US (I agree—I don’t feel this way when I travel to other countries). Then sometimes I wonder if I’m just getting old and need to get with the times.😂  I was just curious how others addressed tipping excursion staff. I appreciate all of your insight😊  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I do NOT tip on Princess shore excursions, I've paid a premium and the tour guides are employees of a tour company with benefits.  I do tip on private excursions since I consider it more like a taxi where I tip.I have been curious about what others do so on my last cruise last month I watched people get off the bus. I saw about 50% of the people tipped and 50% did not so apparently there is no consensus. 

Where did you get the idea that the guides on ship excursions are all employees of a tour company with benefits? The providers of shore excursions are the exact same people who you might book privately. Some guides might be employees with benefits but there’s not a chance that it’s true for most 

• Like 3

Just did a Princess excursion post cruise with an airport drop off at Fort Lauderdale. We were supposed to be dropped off between 12:30pm and 12:45pm but it ended up being 1:15pm as the coach driver had parked illegally (not for the first time, according to the traffic officer) and was getting ticketed, there was then argument between the tour guide and the traffic officer. At the airport we were told we had to stay on the bus until all the bags were unloaded (another ten minutes which pushed our arrival to almost an hour late. Once we were given the all clear to get off the coach the tour guide reminded us about how much work both herself and the driver had done today and that tips are appreciated, I wouldn’t have had the nerve to ask.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimmys Chippy said:

Just did a Princess excursion post cruise with an airport drop off at Fort Lauderdale. We were supposed to be dropped off between 12:30pm and 12:45pm but it ended up being 1:15pm as the coach driver had parked illegally (not for the first time, according to the traffic officer) and was getting ticketed, there was then argument between the tour guide and the traffic officer. At the airport we were told we had to stay on the bus until all the bags were unloaded (another ten minutes which pushed our arrival to almost an hour late. Once we were given the all clear to get off the coach the tour guide reminded us about how much work both herself and the driver had done today and that tips are appreciated, I wouldn’t have had the nerve to ask.

Maybe the tips were needed so they could pay off the parking ticket. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

The more I'm confronted/reminded about tipping the more I refuse to buy into it.  I started my own push back when tip jars showed up at the corner market.

Absolutely!!!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:27 PM, 1sttimertoalaska said:

I called tipping in America “crazy” because in the last few years it seems to be moving that way. I’ve heard stories of people tipping non-traditional service people from nurses all the way to bridal gown salespeople. 

Where are nurses getting tipped? I've been a nurse for 35 years and have never been tipped! Maybe it's because I'm in the OR and no patient *ever* remembers us. . . 🙄😷😆

Tipping is definitely going to far. I tip for meals, haircuts, and mani/pedis and ignore the rest of the keypads.

• Haha 1