Stateroom attendant

Hello 

I’ve been on Ascent since Sunday and have yet to meet my stateroom attendant, I’ve cruised on celebrity (and other lines) before and they have introduced themselves on boarding day. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining as everything is perfectly fine with my room and is well serviced but didn’t know if they don’t introduce themselves anymore or we have a shy one.

15 minutes ago, little miss chatterbox said:

Hello 

I’ve been on Ascent since Sunday and have yet to meet my stateroom attendant, I’ve cruised on celebrity (and other lines) before and they have introduced themselves on boarding day. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining as everything is perfectly fine with my room and is well serviced but didn’t know if they don’t introduce themselves anymore or we have a shy one.

Ours always have the first day in a timely manner. Introductions and any special request at that time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, little miss chatterbox said:

Hello 

In general, they do introduce themselves.  If you would like to meet yours you can always summon him/her by phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, little miss chatterbox said:

Hello 

They usually introduce themselves within the first 24 to 48 hours. However we have noticed on our last cruise that they were super busy. It seemed like they were shorthanded.  Our room steward was working sometimes to 9pm.  He always looked exhausted. 

• Like 4

I met Rony on the first day, Christmas Eve. I had just stopped by to drop my bags. He was super kind, especially when he told me that the rooms weren’t ready. I saw him on the hallway working all day and night for the next seven days. They work tirelessly and I appreciated his service. 

• Like 2

I went on a cruise where boarding was severely delayed. This was out of Boston. I was literally the last one they allowed up to the check in area before putting a stop on things. By the time I got on board my luggage was already there. It took 3 days to actually meet my steward.

I've noticed that our stewards, and not just on Celebrity, are less "available" because there are fewer of them. They have to clean more rooms. It's a problem but the cruise lines don't seem to care.

I miss the days of chatting and getting to know our steward. I still tip, generously because they work so hard, but it's very frustrating that this is one are the cruise lines seem to keep slashing. Fewer stewards, one cleaning a day, etc. I don't need my cabin cleaned twice in a day, but the evening turn down, refilled ice bucket, and fresh towels was always nice. And we used to get chocolates on the pillow every day!

I do hope once the lines work off most of their debt, they'll hire more cabin stewards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I've noticed that our stewards, and not just on Celebrity, are less "available" because there are fewer of them. They have to clean more rooms. It's a problem but the cruise lines don't seem to care.

I miss the days of chatting and getting to know our steward. I still tip, generously because they work so hard, but it's very frustrating that this is one are the cruise lines seem to keep slashing. Fewer stewards, one cleaning a day, etc. I don't need my cabin cleaned twice in a day, but the evening turn down, refilled ice bucket, and fresh towels was always nice. And we used to get chocolates on the pillow every day!

I do hope once the lines work off most of their debt, they'll hire more cabin stewards.

What do you consider less available? Chatting with them when they are trying to do their job isn't  part of their job description. Our room is always attended to morning and evening. Pre and post shutdown. 

The staffs workload and pay is of no concern of mine. That's between the cruise line and their employees. If I'm not getting the service I've paid for while on the cruise I will make a call and request to speak with the appropriate person. So far I haven't had to do that. Pre and post shutdown. 

We've always received the pillow chocolates in the evening for the entire cruise. Any other special requests (very few) have always been honored for the entire cruise. Pre and post shutdown. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

It took 3 days to actually meet my steward.

Did you call GS? A simple call to GS. You would have received a call back or a knock on your door. 

22 minutes ago, doghog said:

What do you consider less available? Chatting with them when they are trying to do their job isn't  part of their job description. Our room is always attended to morning and evening. Pre and post shutdown. 

Less available means that I do not see them to make any requests, like wine glasses or an ice bucket or extra wash cloths or hangars. Nothing extravagant, but much easier to do if the person is around somewhere and not frantically trying to finish their extra workload.

22 minutes ago, doghog said:

The staffs workload and pay is of no concern of mine.

Well, I happen to disagree especially for what a cruise costs, but you do you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Honestly on the cruises I've done with Celebrity I've never met the room attendant. Or at least not had them introduce themselves, I could have passed them in the hall and wouldn't know

Edited by Lena11033
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Less available means that I do not see them to make any requests, like wine glasses or an ice bucket or extra wash cloths or hangars. Nothing extravagant, but much easier to do if the person is around somewhere and not frantically trying to finish their extra workload.

Well, I happen to disagree especially for what a cruise costs, but you do you.

Simple, make a call. Did you?

Again, if you aren't receiving the service you are paying for, make a call. Did you? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Honestly on the cruises I've done with Celebrity I've never met the room attendant. Or at least not had them introduce themselves, I could have passed them in the hall and wouldn't know

For us if we don't have any special request (s) on the first day we wouldn't need any reason to engage with our stateroom attendant. 

If we need anything I either ring or stroll up the corridor and ask the first staff member I see telling them my room number, always sorted very quickly as they take it from there and are always happy to help. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Celebrity is still doing 2x cleaning, unless you elect to participate in Go Green.  Then you get a full cleaning once a day and turn down service including fresh towels..  Chatting was never part of the job and is something that many of them are not comfortable with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, doghog said:

Simple, make a call. Did you?

Again, if you aren't receiving the service you are paying for, make a call. Did you? 

I am not the OP. We ask for what we need. I was merely pointing out that there is a marked difference in the staffing levels and it shows. And this is across all of the lines that I've been on since the pandemic, so I made an observation. Not sure why it seems to have irked you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Celebrity is still doing 2x cleaning, unless you elect to participate in Go Green.  Then you get a full cleaning once a day and turn down service including fresh towels..  Chatting was never part of the job and is something that many of them are not comfortable with.

I am aware. I was merely making an observation that things are not the same and the stewards are clearly working much harder than in the past.

It was never about "chatting", but about being able to make eye contact and ask for things you need instead of phoning or grabbing any random crew member in the hall. I do think it's courteous to get to know the name of my room steward and to be able to let them know in person how much I appreciate their hard work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

It was never about "chatting", but about being able to make eye contact and ask for things you need instead of phoning or grabbing any random crew member in the hall.

You did say chatting and getting to know your steward.  Seems more like a social ocassion to me rather than asking for service/assistance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You did say chatting and getting to know your steward.  Seems more like a social ocassion to me rather than asking for service/assistance.

Interesting take on my comment. I feel like it is rude to just ask for something without actually knowing their name and introducing ourselves, that quite often turns into a short conversation. So, yes, I consider that "chatting" as I'm not just making requests.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I am not the OP. We ask for what we need. I was merely pointing out that there is a marked difference in the staffing levels and it shows. And this is across all of the lines that I've been on since the pandemic, so I made an observation. Not sure why it seems to have irked you.

I didn’t quote you as the OP.  Not sure why you assumed I was "irked" by your whinging. Just expressing our experiences and how we would handle if not what we paid for. For clarification since this is a Celebrity forum stick to only Celebrity  issues. Other cruise lines experiences is irrelevant.

Edited by doghog

20 minutes ago, doghog said:

I didn’t quote you as the OP.  Not sure why you assumed I was "irked" by your whinging. Just expressing our experiences and how we would handle if not what we paid for. For clarification since this is a Celebrity forum stick to only Celebrity  issues. Other cruise lines experiences is irrelevant.

Wow. Had no idea that no other cruise lines could be mentioned here. I assumed you were irked because you called my observations "whinging", which what? Seems like something's gotten you in a foul mood. There's no need to continue this "chat".

I will continue to treat my cabin stewards as people who work hard and should be treated with respect and kindness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Wow. Had no idea that no other cruise lines could be mentioned here. I assumed you were irked because you called my observations "whinging", which what? Seems like something's gotten you in a foul mood. There's no need to continue this "chat".

I will continue to treat my cabin stewards as people who work hard and should be treated with respect and kindness.

Just pointing out the obvious. 

What  or how other cruise lines operate has nothing to do with this thread.

We treat all staff members with respect and kindness.

Edited by doghog

I enjoy the human interaction with room stewards and all ship crew. We are all in this voyage together. We've bought our ticket and  joined our cruise. We hope sun kissed memories. 

Crew members perform their work and deserve respect for their efforts. Sometimes they go above and beyond their duties and sometime they fail to meet our expectations. But I value all of my interactions with the crew and I always tip extra when deserved.

Some passengers feel their fares entitle them to forget their manners. You'll see them embarrass themselves. A glance at the staff and the officers and you'll see the joke is on the rude, narcissistic passenger.

Some passengers debark the ship and are happily forgotten, others build lifetime memories and relationships with shipboard friends. I guess you buy your ticket and makes your choice. 

Bon Voyage!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, doghog said:

Did you call GS? A simple call to GS. You would have received a call back or a knock on your door. 

This was on a different cruise line and I was sailing solo. It didn't bother me. Just found it odd. He actually left me a VM to introduce himself.

• Thanks 1