Spring Breakers !

Shellyd22

Caribbean cruise the end of April 2024 (4/22-4/27)…. 

Dates/itinerary worked for my husband and I but I want to avoid the spring break crowd. I was hoping that late April wouldn’t be a crazy time, since it’s after Easter (3/31) but before school lets out for the year. I live in Florida, and our spring breaks are usually in March. But then I’ve heard other states like New York, do it towards the end of April. Not against children or anything I just wanted a more laid-back cruise but I know the shorter Caribbean itineraries are popular for families. Anyone sail in late April that can share how it was? 

A 5 day cruise, irrespective of school holidays, is going to have more kids on  board than one of a week or longer. But your cruise shouldn't be impacted by spring break.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

My exact thoughts

Would agree, but we consciously choose not to cruise during Spring Break time or anytime during March, Summer Break, and holidays to play it safe. Royal is another story anytime of the year it seems!  

In Massachusetts April vacation is always the week of tax day. The private schools usually have 2 weeks off in March. And as a note I have had more problems with teenagers and college kids than with the little ones. So I usually try to avoid March which is when most northern colleges have their breaks. 

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

I could be way off base but I honestly don't think Celebrity is the choice for Spring breakers!!!

Not true. March 17 2015 on the Constellation before Celebrity started marketing to a wider demographic and going to Cococay. 

Having said that it was a bit less crazy than the Royal ship a week before on a s2s. 2nd & 3rd and 4th photos are on the Royal cruise a week before. 

IMG_20150317_143353.jpg

FB_IMG_1425585112273.jpg

FB_IMG_1426017786770.jpg

FB_IMG_1426017989790.jpg

Edited by kwokpot

57 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

You're well past spring break at that point. A lot of schools and universities are nearing the end of the school year within a few weeks by then. 

Or days. I'll be turning in my spring grades on April 25. Yippee!

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Not true. March 17 2015 on the Constellation before Celebrity started marketing to a wider demographic and going to Cococay. 

Having said that it was a bit less crazy than the Royal ship a week before on a s2s. 2nd & 3rd and 4th photos are on the Royal cruise a week before. 

IMG_20150317_143353.jpg

FB_IMG_1425585112273.jpg

FB_IMG_1426017786770.jpg

FB_IMG_1426017989790.jpg

looks quite a bit like the outdoor pool on Ascent last week.

.not many children on board   but  many who are on perpetual  Spring Break! 

There were a few quiet spots but not at the pool!

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I could be way off base but I honestly don't think Celebrity is the choice for Spring breakers!!!

Tell that to the 700 college kids who were on a 5 night cruise with us on Constellation a number of years ago!  It was a madhouse beyond belief.

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

IMG_20150317_143353.jpg

FB_IMG_1425585112273.jpg

FB_IMG_1426017786770.jpg

FB_IMG_1426017989790.jpg

Was this by chance March 7th rather than March 17th in 2015?  I was on that cruise.  A 5 nighter on Connie with 700 college kids from two Florida colleges.  Just after drink packages were introduced.  The 21+ year olds were loading up on shots, putting them in their own containers, then giving them to their underage friends.  Tables of kids in the MDR were having shouting contests between tables.  Kids were getting drunk and running down the hallways knocking on doors at all hours of the night.  Young "ladies" (and I use the term loosely) were in tiny bikinis standing on lounge chairs at the pool doing dances that would make Miley Cyrus blush.  Kids were being wheeled in back to the ship in wheelchairs at some ports because they were too drunk to walk.  A couple of kids were kicked off the ship in Cozumel because they were drunk and broke some of the deck furniture.  Eventually the staff had a "take back the ship" meeting to try to figure out how to manage the chaos (I was told this by one of the senior officers).  

So anyone who thinks this can't happen on Celebrity is being naive.  One reason I am so unhappy about their decision to add so many short cruises to their Caribbean offerings.  Not saying they would all be like this of course as most will not, but anyone who thinks oh no, not on Celebrity can get back to me for more horror stories.  

Edited by phoenix_dream

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Was this by chance March 7th rather than March 17th in 2015?  I was on that cruise.  A 5 nighter on Connie with 700 college kids from two Florida colleges.  Just after drink packages were introduced.  The 21+ year olds were loading up on shots, putting them in their own containers, then giving them to their underage friends.  Tables of kids in the MDR were having shouting contests between tables.  Kids were getting drunk and running down the hallways knocking on doors at all hours of the night.  Young "ladies" (and I use the term loosely) were in tiny bikinis standing on lounge chairs at the pool doing dances that would make Miley Cyrus blush.  Kids were being wheeled in back to the ship in wheelchairs at some ports because they were too drunk to walk.  A couple of kids were kicked off the ship in Cozumel because they were drunk and broke some of the deck furniture.  Eventually the staff had a "take back the ship" meeting to try to figure out how to manage the chaos (I was told this by one of the senior officers).  

So anyone who thinks this can't happen on Celebrity is being naive.  One reason I am so unhappy about their decision to add so many short cruises to their Caribbean offerings.  Not saying they would all be like this of course as most will not, but anyone who thinks oh no, not on Celebrity can get back to me for more horror stories.  

On Ascent...we saw similar public  behavior to a slighty lesser degree.by  adults  not college kids....doing stuff that belongs in their room. 

The alcohol, loud music and party vibe are def attracting a diff crowd on this ship.

Nevertheless,  there was an SRO crowd in the Gr Plaza for the Billy Joel tribute artist! Guess us "oldies" still can rock the house..with our clothes on.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

in 2015 young "ladies" (and I use the term loosely) were in tiny bikinis standing on lounge chairs at the pool doing dances that would make Miley Cyrus blush. 

aaahh, the good old times....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Later , it is March this year 

IMG_6832.thumb.jpeg.d9d32c19c8dadad334a764e8be4315a5.jpeg

Yes, that is why I said Easter is late. There are still a few schools in my community that are following the old week that includes Easter or Good Friday and the next week, and I am sure there are others around the country, but not as many as years ago. Colleges are a different story, their breaks are generally in March, regardless.

Thank you all for your input! Cruise is booked and paid in full so either way it’s a go! When I say “spring breakers” I’m not so worried about boozy college kids per se but mostly crowds. I’ve experienced drunk and rowdy in all demographics. I would assume elementary/high school spring breaks is when a lot of families plan trips to avoid school absences so I feel like it may lead to a fuller ship. I know ships are sailing at capacity now so it’s expected, but my last cruise was pre-Covid on the Norwegian epic for Christmas and boy was it insane! So crowded but the worst part was it FELT so crowded. Sailing on Beyond if that matters. We will be in a SS so we will have access to the retreat deck but with so many suites I assume that will be crowded too on sea days.  

24 minutes ago, Shellyd22 said:

Thank you all for your input! Cruise is booked and paid in full so either way it’s a go! When I say “spring breakers” I’m not so worried about boozy college kids per se but mostly crowds. I’ve experienced drunk and rowdy in all demographics. I would assume elementary/high school spring breaks is when a lot of families plan trips to avoid school absences so I feel like it may lead to a fuller ship. I know ships are sailing at capacity now so it’s expected, but my last cruise was pre-Covid on the Norwegian epic for Christmas and boy was it insane! So crowded but the worst part was it FELT so crowded. Sailing on Beyond if that matters. We will be in a SS so we will have access to the retreat deck but with so many suites I assume that will be crowded too on sea days.  

On E Class even with a full ship if you can manage to avoid the buffet and the main pool area it will have a vastly different less crowded feel, especially with Retreat access. Take it one step further and avoid the Martini Bar/Grand Plaza area before and after nightly shows and it doesn’t feel crowded at all. 

• Thanks 1