No More Breakfast in Observation Lounge

gmbhardy

I thought I was paying DSC so someone can follow me around and pick up the coffee cups and plates after I am done with them. Maybe if I put a dollar under my cup some one will pick it up.

or would they take the dollar and leave the cup. Man so confusing. 

• Haha 1

I have sailed on one ship with the OL...people left stuff everywhere, brought in food from the buffet etc...I don't blame NCL for shutting this down.  There is a reason we can't have nice things.  

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

<duplicate>  (I wish we had the ability to delete a post during that short time frame we can edit a post)

You can.

Just delete all of the text and exit the page (maybe after a save button).

Edited by cruiser2015

We brought in food from the buffet on our last Bliss cruise during the "scenic cruising" in Alaska.  We were with another couple.  Once we had claimed a spot with a view, we went up in pairs to the buffet and brought back some munchies not available from the OL snack bar.  

FYI - As this was a late June cruise, there were TONS of kids (4800k+ passengers on a 4000k+ ship) and large family groups who took over large swaths of seating "zones" with bedding and pillows and everything else.  They appeared to have moved in.  🤨

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

We brought in food from the buffet on our last Bliss cruise during the "scenic cruising" in Alaska.  We were with another couple.  Once we had claimed a spot with a view, we went up in pairs to the buffet and brought back some munchies not available from the OL snack bar.  

FYI - As this was a late June cruise, there were TONS of kids (4800k+ passengers on a 4000k+ ship) and large family groups who took over large swaths of seating "zones" with bedding and pillows and everything else.  They appeared to have moved in.  🤨

We've done this on the Joy as well- I've gone up and brought down a few appetizers for myself and the group playing dominoes to enjoy, but not a full 4 course meal.

On 2/20/2024 at 5:41 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Take it back to where you got it.

I'm sure he got it from a pile of clean plates. Surely you dont think he should bring it back there, or the counters in front of the food

9 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I'm sure he got it from a pile of clean plates. Surely you dont think he should bring it back there, or the counters in front of the food

So, you're saying he should just leave the dirty plates on the floor, or on a table, or on a chair?  

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

So, you're saying he should just leave the dirty plates on the floor, or on a table, or on a chair?  

No, not a chair or the floor.  On a table which must be what NCL wants if they dont provide appropriate places to put dirty dishes.   You said he should take them back to where he got them from which was a pile of clean dishes and the counter in front of the food. How could that be acceptable?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

No, not a chair or the floor.  On a table which must be what NCL wants if they dont provide appropriate places to put dirty dishes.   You said he should take them back to where he got them from which was a pile of clean dishes and the counter in front of the food. How could that be acceptable?

Or, they could just create a spot to return the dirty dishes.

15 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

It’s not an extension of their cabin..

27 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Or, they could just create a spot to return the dirty dishes.

That would be the best option. Though this would limit the number of staff circulating to identify if an area needs to be wiped down or cleaned more thoroughly. For folks like me, who grab a scone or egg thingymajig, take a seat to eat the whatever item, it would be very helpful to have a clearly marked area to place dirty dishes....kind of like those stupid cocktail parties you go to ahead of a gala dinner that have trays setup for dirty dishes. 

Edited by cruiseny4life

Years ago by pool they had many places to take used dishes and cups which I always took ours.  Rumor when FDR came in, didn't like those so they went away.  It was then left for staff to roam and pickup.  You could still go find the collection point behind a divider if you wanted.

Maybe same thought exists for OL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

That would be the best option. Though this would limit the number of staff circulating to identify if an area needs to be wiped down or cleaned more thoroughly. For folks like me, who grab a scone or egg thingymajig, take a seat to eat the whatever item, it would be very helpful to have a clearly marked area to place dirty dishes....kind of like those stupid cocktail parties you go to ahead of a gala dinner that have trays setup for dirty dishes. 

I don't really agree with your logic.

It takes the same effort to lift a dish, regardless of where it is left.

Now, if the crew spent a LOT of time cleaning up the drop area, yes, they would circulate a bit less - but not necessarily going to happen if they prioritize cleaning tables an not simply hang around one spot.

Maybe, hotel operations can reassign some of the steward from housekeeping for 😁 😉 😆 😬 extra duties ... just a handful 🙄 😳 should suffice for the smallish OL, right ?  Crews in food services (waiters/servers, assistants, beverage runners, etc.) worked from dawn to dust with brief rest period for meals & breaks in between.  Room "attendant" has long stretch of hours once they are done cleaning their assigned cabins of 22 or so, am I right ?    Think about it for a moment, they are only servicing the room once a day that many said can be quickly done in 5 or 10 minutes, 15 minutes on average ... and a number of CC'ers said they hardly really need their cabins to be deep cleaned & serviced, and it's okay to re-use towels and not change the bed sheets & pillows, etc.  Housekeeping department is working and living easier these days ... they are free from, oh, say 5 or 6 PM until 8:30 AM the next morning.  That's all bad, awful and still longer than M-F, 9-5  🤔 

Stirring the tin cans and uncorking the bottled worms here - thought I am tossing a bit of humor to the ongoing, serious discussions.  Alright, it' a cloudy Friday, rain & shower off-and-on and I'm in a grumpy mood.  Besides, who's to say that the DSC will not be going up pretty soon, other lines already raised theirs recently and the leader, NCL isn't going to buckle the trend.  

47 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I don't really agree with your logic.

It takes the same effort to lift a dish, regardless of where it is left.

Now, if the crew spent a LOT of time cleaning up the drop area, yes, they would circulate a bit less - but not necessarily going to happen if they prioritize cleaning tables an not simply hang around one spot.

In my scenario, I see NCL reducing the number of staff servicing the Observation Lounge as they would only need to go to the dirty/nasty party trays of partially eaten food and dirty plates. Have you ever seen those trays at the fancy parties? Ewwwww and I've worked a lot of jobs with unpleasantness haha. But, anyway, I'd think with a reduced number of staff, they wouldn't clean tables as much.

Then again, and I'm not being facetious, I'd be totally ok if there was a disinfectant station with spray and towels for passengers to use on their own. I do it at Costco before we devour that $1.99 slice of pizza and $1.50 hot dog! I wish more places would. And, yep, this Havener would lower himself to cleaning off the table himself. 

52 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

In my scenario, I see NCL reducing the number of staff servicing the Observation Lounge as they would only need to go to the dirty/nasty party trays of partially eaten food and dirty plates. Have you ever seen those trays at the fancy parties? Ewwwww and I've worked a lot of jobs with unpleasantness haha. But, anyway, I'd think with a reduced number of staff, they wouldn't clean tables as much.

Then again, and I'm not being facetious, I'd be totally ok if there was a disinfectant station with spray and towels for passengers to use on their own. I do it at Costco before we devour that $1.99 slice of pizza and $1.50 hot dog! I wish more places would. And, yep, this Havener would lower himself to cleaning off the table himself. 

Okay, I see your point.

But, as for those (truly) nasty trays you speak of - are they worse than having the same crap spread all over the OL?

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I figure I'm just getting a boatload of bills and junk when my people pass away, so why should I leave any for the pups? Actually...if it worked that way, I totally would leave some dough for my beautiful canines! And the feline!

You can certainly leave some dough for your pups in your will.  You can also designate someone to care for them.  Be sure and include some dough for someone's expenses while they act as guardians for your pups. 

9 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

that would be ideal. Some people still wouldnt bother but some will

There will be many who don't bother.  Have you ever noticed how messy some rooms are while you're walking down the hallways?