Scooter needed

sixpackeddie

I suffer from back pain. Fortunately, I've not needed a scooter on a cruise, yet. I once rented one going to Disney. At one point I got stuck in the middle of a crowd with nowhere to go. Fortunately, someone else carved out a path for me and another scooter user. I only lasted two days before returning it.

My point, you wouldn't know looking at me if I was a scooter rider if I needed it or was faking it. Back when muster drills were done on deck, I'd go to the handicapped area since I can't stand, packed in, that long. Heck, the first time they saw me coming a little hunched over and directed me there without me saying anything.

I try to be courteous to those in a scooter. I'll hold the elevator, etc. But for those that decide just bumping into me will get me to move versus a polite "excuse me", all bets are off.

• Like 1

Just now, 1025cruise said:

I suffer from back pain. Fortunately, I've not needed a scooter on a cruise, yet. I once rented one going to Disney. At one point I got stuck in the middle of a crowd with nowhere to go. Fortunately, someone else carved out a path for me and another scooter user. I only lasted two days before returning it.

My point, you wouldn't know looking at me if I was a scooter rider if I needed it or was faking it. Back when muster drills were done on deck, I'd go to the handicapped area since I can't stand, packed in, that long. Heck, the first time they saw me coming a little hunched over and directed me there without me saying anything.

I try to be courteous to those in a scooter. I'll hold the elevator, etc. But for those that decide just bumping into me will get me to move versus a polite "excuse me", all bets are off.

I think DH would understand and sympathize with your pain and the 'hunched back' description.  He's cruised with back pain for over 10 years and is a little young for this situation, but in the past few he's used a cane.  So now there's another health issue which makes it difficult to even walk a short distance with his cane;  a scooter came to mind or a wheeled walker.  I've pushed him in a wheelchair (hospital, airport, and off-ship ports) which is not fun for either of us.  This scenario is new to us and a scooter seemed to be the answer, but between reading comments and his male pride re using a scooter, he may not want to sail.  We'll see.  Thanks to all for your comments...and sorry OP...I seemed to have Shangheid the thread.  Maybe I just thought it would be in support of those who DO need mobility assistance.

• Like 1

This has morphed into a discussion of manners when using a scooter and when around those who do.  Here's my take after 80 cruises on Celebrity, including a couple where a relative of ours needed a scooter to get around so I am not unsympathetic to the challenges.

It is a fact that it is difficult to get an elevator when using a scooter (and even a walker).  These days ships are 100% full and it is often hard even for walking folks to find an elevator they fit in.  There are inconsiderate people who refuse to move back and allow the elevator to be full (including some who are afraid to step onto the glass portion at the rear).  There are also other inconsiderate people who try to jam into the elevator when there is clearly not room.  I sympathize with those on scooters who need to find space.  Don't assume though that we're ignoring you - there just may literally not be room.

As to manners around the ship - apologies to those who use appliances and are respectful of others around them (and I know there are many of you!) but I can honestly say I have been nearly run over, or run into many, many times by people riding scooters or using walkers.  I find this most often on longer cruises with lots of older people (and less you think I am ageist - I am an older - 70+  person myself).  Too many times it seems like there is an attitude of "get out of my way, I have a disability so my needs should come first".  Again, no offence meant to the many who don't operate that way, but I've seen it time and again.  One of the few things I dislike about longer cruises with more of us seniors onboard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Why would anyone rent a scooter if they didn't need one?

You maybe missed the point.  Some people do not use a scooter at home, but want what they feel will be more mobility on a cruise.  Many of those do indeed need a bit of practice. 

The solution is at your local grocery.  Try a few scooters and make sure the operator understands how they operate and are able to safely manage them.  Some are not.

• Like 1

I have low vision and must  walk slow through the creepy/ low lit/ mirror areas on the way to BLU and EDEN..

Too many times I have almost been run over by way too fast scooter operators.   Now I hold my husbs hand and he lets me know when the " raceway" is clear....Poor design of a major pass way!

Some speeding seems to  be on purpose,  but  many more issues seem to  result from a lack of skill/ training esp when backing up, parking or using elevators!

Everyone needs to slow down and  be watchful!  Does the rental come with liability ins?

Agree

This was on the Ascent also

I watched a husband and wife(i believe) , both on scooters waiting for an elevator, and the wife floored it every time she heard the ding of the elevator, and crashed into 2 different doorways, just missing us. The elevators were going down, not up as she wanted. The husband just shook his head and sat there and watched. She damaged the scooter and almost me!

Must've been late for Happy Hour

Cheers

16 hours ago, sixpackeddie said:

My aunt is almost 90 and needs a scooter for our upcoming cruise, and idea how to rent one? I called Celebrity and they only had wheel chairs available? 

Hi OP........if you've read all these responses...how do you feel about your 90 yr old on a scooter?  It would be wonderful for her to be able to join you and I'm sure you and your family will be attentive to her needs.  If you decide to go forward......ENJOY!

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

I had to show a lady on the first day that there is a variable speed knob on the scooter. She had no idea and kept running into things. So I repeat my thoughts about learning to use a scooter before you come on a cruise. If the grocery store or Walmart or target or your pharmacy has one, she should try it out, and learn to turn in tight quarters around the shelves. And how to back up (no mirrors) and even how to “parallel park”

17 hours ago, sixpackeddie said:

My aunt is almost 90 and needs a scooter for our upcoming cruise, and idea how to rent one? I called Celebrity and they only had wheel chairs available? 

You came here to ask a simple question and advice.  Hopefully between the editorials, lectures and such, you got a few good suggestions to assist you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Liao said:

You came here to ask a simple question and advice.  Hopefully between the editorials, lectures and such, you got a few good suggestions to assist you.

I really did, thank you to everyone for their assistance. It’s a valid point to make sure she is capable of operating a scooter otherwise there could be a few casualties with broken toes! Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to assist here.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

I really did, thank you to everyone for their assistance. It’s a valid point to make sure she is capable of operating a scooter otherwise there could be a few casualties with broken toes! Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to assist here.

I hope she can cruise and enjoy herself

9 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

This thread is timely.  DH has walking (back) problem and also recently diagnosed with heart issues as well.  Cruise is booked and anticipated but getting around will be a concern and most likely not doable on a scale needed to enjoy it.  He's considering a scooter but from comments here they are a nuisance and not easily controlled if not experienced with one.  Would like to hear from someone who had one delivered to their non-accessible cabin;  could they enter the door and use the scooter easily?  He's of athletic build and ably strong, so he thinks it wouldn't be a problem for him if the access to the room is not an issue.

2 minutes ago, mystic51 said:

No it is not easy in a non accessible room.

turning the scooter around in a very tight space is quite difficult.  

trying to hold the door open and backing out is equally difficult.

leaving the scooter in the hallway overnight is not an option.

if you are near one of the elevator vestibule’s, you may find a little niche where you can park the scooter overnight.

One other thing to be aware of is that the scooters use US pugs. If you park the scooter in one of the corners festivals, there will only be European plugs there, so you must bring an adapter.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mystic51 said:

I just rented a ultra light standard folding scooter from speicalneedsatsea.  I have done this in the past when we have a standard cabin.  It only weighs 37 pounds and when we fold it down, it fits into the closet standing up against the wall.  Takes only a couple of minutes to set up and off I go.Ultrltra-Light Folding Standard Scooter –

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

This thread is timely.  DH has walking (back) problem and also recently diagnosed with heart issues as well.  Cruise is booked and anticipated but getting around will be a concern and most likely not doable on a scale needed to enjoy it.  He's considering a scooter but from comments here they are a nuisance and not easily controlled if not experienced with one.  Would like to hear from someone who had one delivered to their non-accessible cabin;  could they enter the door and use the scooter easily?  He's of athletic build and ably strong, so he thinks it wouldn't be a problem for him if the access to the room is not an issue.

I needed a scooter in Feb and had never used one before.   They show you how to work it and you can drive it.  We picked it up at the line to get on the ship.   

Its almost impossible to get it in a room that is not accessible (just FYI).   I would mention that they can go pretty quickly and caution should be observed.   

Betty

• Thanks 1

Not to discount anyone else’s experience but I will just state again that Special Needs at Sea will not rent you a scooter that will not fit in your cabin as they deliver and leave the scooter in your cabin.  I rented a scooter from them that easily fit in a non accessible cabin on Celebrity Equinox.

45 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Not to discount anyone else’s experience but I will just state again that Special Needs at Sea will not rent you a scooter that will not fit in your cabin as they deliver and leave the scooter in your cabin.  I rented a scooter from them that easily fit in a non accessible cabin on Celebrity Equinox.

Ditto.

We were in a typical Concierge cabin on the Ascent in December. I got a scooter from Special Needs that was in our room on embarkation, and we left it there on disembarkation. I had recently been immobile due to ankle surgery, and wasn’t sure I could handle walking all day, or especially, stairs. I did request wheelchair assistance from Celebrity on embarkation and disembarkation. (I used it on embarkation…LONG ramps, and probably 6 of them, and am grateful that I could. I didn’t need nor use it on disembarkation.) It fit in our (non-accessible cabin) just fine, although I needed some assistance with the door to get in and out of the room. Thankfully, after day 2 I could manage on my own and didn’t need the scooter. To look at me, you couldn’t see WHY I needed a scooter, and folks on the full elevators going from deck six down to 5 or 4 consistently stayed in the (full) elevator rather than getting out to make room. As an aside, if I am on an elevator going DOWN, and the doors open to a mobility-impaired person, I ALWAYS get off (sometimes with a snarky comment to my fellow able-bodied-elevator-brethren) so the person who CANNOT use the stairs is able to use the elevator. Actually, I do that on elevators going UP (without the snarky comment) but I don’t hold my able-bodied-elevator-jamming-brethren to the same standard…maybe they can’t do 9 flights up to the Ocean View Cafe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DingoMom said:

We were in a typical Concierge cabin on the Ascent in December. I got a scooter from Special Needs that was in our room on embarkation, and we left it there on disembarkation. I had recently been immobile due to ankle surgery, and wasn’t sure I could handle walking all day, or especially, stairs. I did request wheelchair assistance from Celebrity on embarkation and disembarkation. (I used it on embarkation…LONG ramps, and probably 6 of them, and am grateful that I could. I didn’t need nor use it on disembarkation.) It fit in our (non-accessible cabin) just fine, although I needed some assistance with the door to get in and out of the room. Thankfully, after day 2 I could manage on my own and didn’t need the scooter. To look at me, you couldn’t see WHY I needed a scooter, and folks on the full elevators going from deck six down to 5 or 4 consistently stayed in the (full) elevator rather than getting out to make room. As an aside, if I am on an elevator going DOWN, and the doors open to a mobility-impaired person, I ALWAYS get off (sometimes with a snarky comment to my fellow able-bodied-elevator-brethren) so the person who CANNOT use the stairs is able to use the elevator. Actually, I do that on elevators going UP (without the snarky comment) but I don’t hold my able-bodied-elevator-jamming-brethren to the same standard…maybe they can’t do 9 flights up to the Ocean View Cafe.

you cannot judge a standing person to be one who needs to give a sitting person a space on an elevator. They could both have a bad knee..  seriously.. I look very fit but I can tell you that foot pain is real and you have no idea what any other standing person is dealing with. who is in a rush for a toilet? A scooter is not a ticket to skipping a wait. It is a seat to enable the person to move with ease. Now if an elderly walking person needs a space I move. Don't judge standing people. I have fit looking friends with COPD, We don't know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Yes it fits in the cabin.  But in mini cabins, it is nearly impossible to turn it around so that you can drive it out. That means you must back out while holding the door open.  Not an easy task.

I have twice cruised with temporary mobility issues once pre and once post surgery. We looked at scooters and simply decided to manage with a wheelchair and crutches…The difference for us perhaps being that my adult son was cruising with us and was willing to do the majority of the pushing.

Most of the time fellow guests were wonderful. We tried to avoid moving about at peak times (start MDR dining, buffet 8-9am…show start/finish times) and generally got on/off lifts fairly easily. These cruises were all about R&R not sightseeing.

Staff were absolutely fabulous, especially the pool staff who helped me in/out of the pool using the ‘ducking stool’. In restaurants waiters always parked up my wheelchair after seeing me seated.

Unexpectedly it was poolside I had a few problems as end sun beds tend to get taken quickly and mid beds didn’t have enough space for me to manoeuvre safely in on crutches. Again most of the time fellow guests would help us get organised.

I won’t pretend it was all plain sailing! We did meet the odd person oblivious to those around them…I particularly remember a lady at the sunset bar being very reluctant to allow me to use the one remaining empty seat being used by her handbag despite the fact I was on my crutches! My husband was reluctant for me to use my crutches too much, not because he was scared of me fallin, more the worry of someone sending me flying!

Cruising, in my opinion, is a great vacation for those with limited mobility. As long as you board taking into account that some guests will be oblivious to your needs and that you can help reduce frustrations by simple things like avoiding peak movement times…

16 hours ago, sixpackeddie said:

I write this simply to express that on the ship a wheelchair (as long as you are fit enough to push) can be a reasonable option. Obviously if you are intending to do off the ship activities then a scooter is probably the way to go…

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I was in one of the far forward cabins on Silhouette in December, I think it was 8106, where there is a sharp turn to get into the stateroom and the scooter couldn’t really do it. They did not have the scooter in my state room— When I arrived, it was in the hallway adjacent.  Since  it was out of the way and there was a plug right there, after consulting with my steward that is where I parked it during that whole cruise.  

• Like 1