Cruising with single 66 year old father

Hi! I'm new to cruising, but I have been researching trips that my husband and I could go on with my 66 year old father. Last summer he spent battling cancer and was forced into early retirement. He hasn't been out of the tri-state area in 25 years, and I'd really love for him to spend his golden years enjoying his life and making great memories.

My dad is single, and sometimes not the most outgoing person. He can be shy, especially after the self-consciousness that came with the changes he's dealt with after cancer. I don't want him to feel like a third wheel, so if anyone has similar experiences and can recommend specific cruise lines or ships where all three of us can have a great time, it would be very appreciated.

Since you all seem to live in NJ, I would recommend any ship sailing from NY/NJ or Baltimore.  Drive to port, no worry about flights, hotels, luggage…

Celebrity Eclipse sails from Cape Liberty/Bayonne and would be the most laid back ambiance.  It’s also the smallest of the ships sailing from the NY area.  My second choice might be Carnival Venezia, much more activity, more families with children.  The other ships sailing from there are much larger and cater heavily to families with children.  Bermuda is a nice, easy port.  
The absolute smallest ships would be those sailing from Baltimore, also drivable.  But still good value.  If you have never cruised before, the smallest ship will seem huge.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2

I agree with @9tee2Sea and also suggest Alaska.  I would narrow the suggestion to include looking at either Holland America, or Princess.  Most of their itineraries include Glacier Bay, but I think he would enjoy the entertainment offered by these ships. 

OP did make a point of mentioning that the 66 yr old Dad was single (a hint or a hope for meeting someone?), so I would double down on my recommending HAL or Princess because there would be other singles in his age range traveling solo on these two cruise lines.

I should mention we do have somewhat of a budget. I think he would love the idea of an Alaskan cruise, but flying to the West Coast from Philadelphia is a bit pricier than we were hoping for. With flight and cruise combined, I would prefer to spend less than $1000 a person.

An unwelcome thought as to budget…unless you plan to all share a cabin, your father is going to have to pay a single supplement for his cabin.  Cabin prices are quoted as per person, based on two people in the cabin.  A solo cruiser has to pay as if for two.  Sometimes it is quoted quite a bit more.  I was able to price out a cruise the other day at 75% of the double occupancy rate.  And sometimes the cruise lines refuse to sell to a solo cruiser.  Price out a cruise for two, then go back and try to price the same cruise for a solo and it is suddenly sold out.  EM

• Like 1

With your budget I’d try to find a good travel agent. We usually cruise on ncl from manhattan in balconies, about $1000 pp, but we squeeze 7 people into 2 cabins. Sailing locally will save $ on flights and hotels.

37 minutes ago, missrisaleigh said:

I should mention we do have somewhat of a budget. I think he would love the idea of an Alaskan cruise, but flying to the West Coast from Philadelphia is a bit pricier than we were hoping for. With flight and cruise combined, I would prefer to spend less than $1000 a person.

check out cruises that depart from  your home port ( or not too far from),  that will save the cost of flying.  NY has lots of Bahama cruises.  FYI...NCL has solo fares, as well as a special lounge and meet ups for solo passengers.  They are not all " youngsters".  Many solo travelers are divorced, widowed, or just plain single.  

• Like 2

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but at 66 he just might be younger than the average cruiser 🙂 He won't have any trouble fitting in. (Oops, my comment is dependent on the cruise line; some do cater to the young' uns 🙂

• Like 3

The Vision of the Seas out of Baltimore. The prices are great and the ship will work for you. It is the easiest port to cruise out of. Parking is cheap at 15$ a day and you have the option of staying at the Best Western with the parking at the hotel with a shuttle back and forth from the port. I just booked 8 days for 2 for 1375$ total (8 days).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

It is the easiest port to cruise out of.

I agree with this.  Baltimore was so easy to cruise out of.  Seriously, the ship is literally next to the parking lot.  Plus we paid the same in Baltimore for a 14 day cruise ($210) as we did for a 7 day out of Bayonne.  We'll definitely be cruising from there again. 

Bermuda and Bahamas have already been suggested.  You would also be able to do a Canada/New England cruise from Baltimore or one of the NY ports. 

Edited by Mangrove Snapper
typo

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Since you all seem to live in NJ, I would recommend any ship sailing from NY/NJ or Baltimore.  Drive to port, no worry about flights,…

Bermuda is a nice, easy port.  

The absolute smallest ships would be those sailing from Baltimore, also drivable.  But still good value.  If you have never cruised before, the smallest ship will seem huge.  EM

How about Oceania’s 650 passenger ship sailing from Manhattan - likely others as well.

3 hours ago, clo said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but at 66 he just might be younger than the average cruiser 🙂 He won't have any trouble fitting in. (Oops, my comment is dependent on the cruise line; some do cater to the young' uns 🙂

Aside from Disney ships, a 66 year old would be just about in the middle.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

How about Oceania’s 650 passenger ship sailing from Manhattan - likely others as well.

You're not going to cruise on Oceania from NYC for what the OP wants to spend, under $1,000 per person.  The cheapest inside cabin will cost a minimum of $1,500 per person for a 7 night cruise, and those cabins sell out quickly. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, missrisaleigh said:

Hi! I'm new to cruising, but I have been researching trips that my husband and I could go on with my 66 year old father. Last summer he spent battling cancer and was forced into early retirement. He hasn't been out of the tri-state area in 25 years, and I'd really love for him to spend his golden years enjoying his life and making great memories.

My dad is single, and sometimes not the most outgoing person. He can be shy, especially after the self-consciousness that came with the changes he's dealt with after cancer. I don't want him to feel like a third wheel, so if anyone has similar experiences and can recommend specific cruise lines or ships where all three of us can have a great time, it would be very appreciated.

I think just about any cruise line & any ship will allow you to have a great time traveling together as a family.  Enjoy.  

• Like 3