When and what do you tip the wait staff and concierge

23 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I thought tips were included in the upgraded Princess packages? NCL has the Onboard Service Charge (which I need to buy extra) and it’s not included in the cruise fair. Why do I need to tip extra on Princess if the Crew Appreciation is included? 

IMG_7672.jpeg

IMG_7670.jpeg

You don't under these packages. Completely discretionary. Folks make a big deal about tipping extra and somehow feel obligated. We tip our cabin steward at the end and that's it. Don't be pressured into doing something you don't feel is right. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

How can someone possibly tip for doing extra when they tip on the first day of the cruise? Ridiculous. In that case they are either tipping because they always do regardless of the standard of service or else they are tipping in advance in the hope that the crew  will give them preferences... i.e. a bribe.

We have Plus built into our fare, so won’t be tipping extra.

I agree, coming from UK I consider the tipping culture a bribe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
8 minutes ago, 20165 said:

I dont think its that uncommon.  I get $250 in $5s before i leave and come back with very few left, but in the overall cost of the cruise, air etc its not a lot of money and greatly enhances my experience at the bars, around the pool, etc. Believe me, its a noticeable difference from when we didnt do this years ago to the point where my wife is telling me to start tipping day 1...

Well that is so sad.

I have never tipped to anything like that extent and I have never noticed that the service is so bad that I feel the need to tip to get good service. Perhaps your expectations are just way higher than mine.

2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

To put it into context... if only 10% of people tipped a bar waiter $10 over the course of a week then on a ship carrying 3500 passengers that would be an extra $3500 on top of their wages. I don't think the bar staff are quite so poor as we like to make them out to be!

Multiply that dollar amount by several cruises a month, and then again over the length of their contract, and I’m guessing these crew members are making a pretty tidy sum. 🤑

53 minutes ago, Sunwanabe said:

You don't under these packages. Completely discretionary. Folks make a big deal about tipping extra and somehow feel obligated. We tip our cabin steward at the end and that's it. Don't be pressured into doing something you don't feel is right. 

48 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

We have Plus built into our fare, so won’t be tipping extra.

I agree, coming from UK I consider the tipping culture a bribe.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts exactly😎

3 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I am absolutely gobsmacked at the amounts some people tip when on a cruise. Good on you if you can afford it but I for one just cannot afford to pay for the package and then also tip for every drink on top. I will tip at the end of the cruise for excellent service from bar staff but it is usually only $20, or even $10 on a short cruise.

To put it into context... if only 10% of people tipped a bar waiter $10 over the course of a week then on a ship carrying 3500 passengers that would be an extra $3500 on top of their wages. I don't think the bar staff are quite so poor as we like to make them out to be!

America's  capitalists at work. If you have spread it around .

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:42 AM, 20165 said:

Yes, another tipping thread, but the one i was going to reply to was closed...  Since most of our dinners are going to be in a different venue every night, what do people tip the wait staff for that particular night they eat in that restaurant?  Also, do you tip the concierge daily or at the end of the cruise?  I usually do it at the end, but on on last NCL cruise the seemed to want it daily or at least we saw others doing it as they requested something.

Thanks and sorry, i know this is a touch subject but wanted to brush up on the norms...

Nothing and I reduce my auto daily gratuity to $10 PP PD. Feel free to do whatever you want. Those that reduce or don't over tip won't answer on this board because of flaming they get so take answers from the over tippers  with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, c-boy said:

America's  capitalists at work. If you have spread it around .

Many of these "supposed" over tippers are not really tipping they're bragging.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Multiply that dollar amount by several cruises a month, and then again over the length of their contract, and I’m guessing these crew members are making a pretty tidy sum. 🤑

If they worked those hours in the US they would violate tons of labor laws or you would need double the crew which would take away passenger cabins. They deserve their salary and tips. Having gotten through college waiting tables I understand tipping. If someone came into the restaurant a lot and didn’t tip I will guarantee their food and service would change 

• Thanks 4

So if someone wants to tip extra for good service, they are liars, braggers, or just over-tipping? This thread has been so enlightening. I’m sure the OP has all the information they require now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

So if someone wants to tip extra for good service, they are liars, braggers, or just over-tipping? This thread has been so enlightening. I’m sure the OP has all the information they require now.

We fall into the all of the above. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

If you're tipping extra for good service, then that's extortion or bribery.  If you're tipping because of good service, that's being appreciative of the good service.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SCX22 said:

If you're tipping extra for good service, then that's extortion or bribery.  If you're tipping because of good service, that's being appreciative of the good service.

I’m tipping after receiving the service, not prior to. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Well that is so sad.

I have never tipped to anything like that extent and I have never noticed that the service is so bad that I feel the need to tip to get good service. Perhaps your expectations are just way higher than mine.

Cruise Lines Comparison: How much does a waiter earn?

Nov 29, 2023
assistant-waiter-cruise-ship-uniform_0.j

Embarking on a career as a waiter on a cruise ship is not just about providing excellent service; it's a journey into a world of international experiences, growth opportunities, and daily challenges. While the role itself is captivating, little is known about the various aspects, including conditions, opportunities, and most importantly earnings.

Factors Influencing Cruise Ship Waiter Salaries

The compensation for cruise ship waiters is a multifaceted aspect, however, the significant element is the cruise company, as base pay is often supplemented by the opportunity to earn a percentage of tips collected while serving passengers. In the dynamic cruise environment, waiters enjoy more than just a base salary. However, some cruise lines offer guaranteed salaries and don’t allow tips from guests. 

Variations Across Cruise Companies

The figures provided by the popular website SHIPLIFE, which tracks the salaries of all the major cruise lines, shed light on the variations in waiter salaries across different companies. It is important to note that the figures represent the base salary and do not account for potential tips, gratuities, or commissions. For a comprehensive understanding, potential cruise ship waiters are advised to carefully review the details of each contract.

Comparison of the waiter salaries by cruise lines:

Norwegian Cruise Line: Offers a competitive salary of $2200 USD for waiters, placing it among the top earners in the industry.

Fred Olsen: Provides a comparatively lower base salary of $900 USD for waiters.

Holland America: Aligns with Norwegian Cruise Line, offering a competitive salary of $2200 USD for waiters.

Virgin Voyages: Takes the lead with the highest salary of $3225 USD, making it an attractive option for prospective cruise ship waiters.

P&O Australia: Presents a moderate base salary of $1400 USD for waiters.

Azamara: Offers a respectable base salary of $2400 USD, placing it in the upper tier among cruise companies.

Regent Seven Seas: Provides a competitive base salary of $2500 USD for waiters.

Costa Crociere: Offers a lower base salary of $760 USD for waiters.

Royal Caribbean: Presents a mid-range base salary of $1780 USD for waiters.

Oceania Cruises: Offers one of the higher salaries at $2900 USD, making it an appealing choice for waiters seeking top compensation.

Seabourn: Provides a competitive base salary of $2700 USD for waiters.

Silversea: Offers a solid base salary of $2500 USD for waiters.

TUI Cruises: Presents a moderate base salary of $1700 USD for waiters.

Princess Cruises: Offers a competitive base salary of $2000 USD for waiters.

MSC Cruises: Presents a moderate base salary of $1700 USD for waiters.

Disney Cruise Line: Provides a base salary of $1540 USD for waiters.

Celestyal Cruises: Offers a lower base salary of $1300 USD for waiters.

Crystal Cruises: Presents one of the higher salaries at $2900 USD, aligning with Oceania Cruises

Edited by c-boy
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, 20165 said:

greatly enhances my experience at the bars, around the pool, etc. Believe me, its a noticeable difference from when we didnt do this years ago to the point where my wife is telling me to start tipping day 1...

I spent 138 days on Coral Princess last year.

That ship's currency is AUD, and if you book the fare in Australia, Crew Appreciation is included as part of the base fare.

It cannot be modified onboard.

Not once in all those 138 days did I feel I hadn't received anything but excellent service in any bar.

Also, not once did I witness any cash being handed to the bar waiters or bartenders.

Ahh..........such an enjoyable system and experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, c-boy said:

Cruise Lines Comparison: How much does a waiter earn?

Nov 29, 2023
assistant-waiter-cruise-ship-uniform_0.j

Embarking on a career as a waiter on a cruise ship is not just about providing excellent service; it's a journey into a world of international experiences, growth opportunities, and daily challenges. While the role itself is captivating, little is known about the various aspects, including conditions, opportunities, and most importantly earnings.

Factors Influencing Cruise Ship Waiter Salaries

The compensation for cruise ship waiters is a multifaceted aspect, however, the significant element is the cruise company, as base pay is often supplemented by the opportunity to earn a percentage of tips collected while serving passengers. In the dynamic cruise environment, waiters enjoy more than just a base salary. However, some cruise lines offer guaranteed salaries and don’t allow tips from guests. 

Variations Across Cruise Companies

The figures provided by the popular website SHIPLIFE, which tracks the salaries of all the major cruise lines, shed light on the variations in waiter salaries across different companies. It is important to note that the figures represent the base salary and do not account for potential tips, gratuities, or commissions. For a comprehensive understanding, potential cruise ship waiters are advised to carefully review the details of each contract.

Comparison of the waiter salaries by cruise lines:

Norwegian Cruise Line: Offers a competitive salary of $2200 USD for waiters, placing it among the top earners in the industry.

Fred Olsen: Provides a comparatively lower base salary of $900 USD for waiters.

Holland America: Aligns with Norwegian Cruise Line, offering a competitive salary of $2200 USD for waiters.

Virgin Voyages: Takes the lead with the highest salary of $3225 USD, making it an attractive option for prospective cruise ship waiters.

P&O Australia: Presents a moderate base salary of $1400 USD for waiters.

Azamara: Offers a respectable base salary of $2400 USD, placing it in the upper tier among cruise companies.

Regent Seven Seas: Provides a competitive base salary of $2500 USD for waiters.

Costa Crociere: Offers a lower base salary of $760 USD for waiters.

Royal Caribbean: Presents a mid-range base salary of $1780 USD for waiters.

Oceania Cruises: Offers one of the higher salaries at $2900 USD, making it an appealing choice for waiters seeking top compensation.

Seabourn: Provides a competitive base salary of $2700 USD for waiters.

Silversea: Offers a solid base salary of $2500 USD for waiters.

TUI Cruises: Presents a moderate base salary of $1700 USD for waiters.

Princess Cruises: Offers a competitive base salary of $2000 USD for waiters.

MSC Cruises: Presents a moderate base salary of $1700 USD for waiters.

Disney Cruise Line: Provides a base salary of $1540 USD for waiters.

Celestyal Cruises: Offers a lower base salary of $1300 USD for waiters.

Crystal Cruises: Presents one of the higher salaries at $2900 USD, aligning with Oceania Cruises

Too long, didn’t read, don’t care.

I’m still not tipping extra if the Crew Appreciation and 18% service charge are already included. Not gonna happen.

You are more than welcome to make up the difference in their salaries, I’m not. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, memoak said:

If they worked those hours in the US they would violate tons of labor laws or you would need double the crew which would take away passenger cabins. They deserve their salary and tips. Having gotten through college waiting tables I understand tipping. If someone came into the restaurant a lot and didn’t tip I will guarantee their food and service would change 

Which they do receive in the form of Crew Appreciation, 18% surcharges on drinks and specialty dining packages, and bonuses (per PCL) from being recognized in writing from passengers. Cruise lines have included these things for a reason. And not all of us feel the need or are obligated to tip extra. It’s your right to tip, bribe, or whatever, just like it’s my right to not. To each their own. 

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Which they do receive in the form of Crew Appreciation, 18% surcharges on drinks and specialty dining packages, and bonuses (per PCL) from being recognized in writing from passengers. Cruise lines have included these things for a reason. And not all of us feel the need or are obligated to tip extra. It’s your right to tip, bribe, or whatever, just like it’s my right to not. To each their own. 

There are no such thing as dining packages. The 18% on drinks only applies to people without a package. I will tell you there is no way I am paying 18% for the 12 drinks a day I have on my plus’s package it comes out to much less. Packages have actually cut down on the amount of tips bartenders get. An extra $10 or $20 for a 10-14 day cruise does not wipe me out but does help them out a lot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, partybarbie said:

Amen, original poster here and this has gone way off the rails. Got what i need, thanks everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Pretty much exactly my thoughts exactly😎

A restaurant meal in London will cost you easily double what you pay in the US. Please feel free to move there where nobody expects tips but a simply pasta dish will break your bank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

If someone came into the restaurant a lot and didn’t tip I will guarantee their food and service would change 

Kind of a vindictive sort, no?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

A restaurant meal in London will cost you easily double what you pay in the US. Please feel free to move there where nobody expects tips but a simply pasta dish will break your bank

Sigh. I’m pretty sure that’s also a matter of where you decide to eat your pasta in London? It’s like I can get a cheeseburger from any fast food dive or fine dining restaurant in town and the prices differ as much as the weather in March. And, if I were go into any restaurant in town and the gratuities, crew appreciation, and other additional charges were already included, I wouldn’t tip extra there either. 

As Princess Cruises has stated: 

Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests…

are pooled

and distributed to crew members who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise…

including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.”

You do you. 

No extra tips from me other than what’s already included and covered. 

😎

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 20165 said:

We are on Enchantment next month in a suite so we should have a concierge.  And we are going to lean on them heavily because we are having issues making all of the dinner reservations we want so we plan on using them pretty extensively.

thx

We are also on the Enchanted next month and will have a suite.  We've tipped the Suite Concierge anywhere from $0 to $40 depending on how helpful they've been in making arrangements for us.  There's also the crew who staff suite happy hour to consider and if we see the same person every night it's another $10 to $20, at the end of the cruise.

P.S.  I have no idea if what we do is within the norm since you haven't exactly had responses to your original question.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 2