Tendering at Belize and Roatan with power wheelchair

I will be traveling to Belize and Roatan all the Royal Caribbean out of Tampa at the end of the month. I am in a power wheelchair. I am paralyzed from the chest down so I cannot get out of the chair to transfer somewhere else or you go up and down steps.

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to get to the port at either of these locations?

Thank you. 

Roatan is a docked port, not tendered, so you should be able to roll off. Belize is tendered, but I don't know what the logistics would be for you and your chair. Enjoy your cruise. 

1 hour ago, Dannymarg said:

I will be traveling to Belize and Roatan all the Royal Caribbean out of Tampa at the end of the month. I am in a power wheelchair. I am paralyzed from the chest down so I cannot get out of the chair to transfer somewhere else or you go up and down steps.

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to get to the port at either of these locations?

Thank you. 

I can't recall specifically how Vision class ships are laid out in this regard (Enchantment is a Vision class ship), but on many RC ships, the tender platform is reached by descending some steps.  There is no other way to get to the tender.  But again, I'm not sure if that applies to the Enchantment. 

Posted (edited)

A 75 year old passenger with mobility issues died getting on a tender ship on Cunard after she fell in the ocean, so the rule on Cunard is that unless you can pass a step test to demonstrate physical fitness you are not allowed to tender.  You should contact RC's special needs department to see if there is any chance of you getting help, but I think unfortunately from the ship's perspective there is simply too much liability if ship employees help you get on the tender.   I also recall that Roatan was (at least for me) dock, not tender.   I am very sorry. 

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Coralc said:

Roatan is a docked port, not tendered, so you should be able to roll off. Belize is tendered, but I don't know what the logistics would be for you and your chair. Enjoy your cruise. 

I don’t know what someone in a powered wheelchair who can’t get out of the chair could do at either port. Routan is mainly water activity. We did a tour but OP would have to find someone with a power lift van. The tour wasn’t really that great. The beach was pretty good. Belize which they probably wouldn’t be able to get on that high speed tender, bumpy so not good for OP and it is a mile tender ride. And there is nothing really at the small port area. The city is unsafe. People do water activities and cave tubing. We went snorkeling and then to Caye Cauker Ride to places there in golf carts. Not a port for passengers in a power wheelchair. I don’t know why OP ended up on this itinerary. Even the ship, it is older and it is not optimal for a paraplegic in a power wheelchair. We traveled a sailing with a paraplegic in a power wheelchair that was of that vintage and they had issues with the ship. 

Edited by Charles4515

10 hours ago, Dannymarg said:

Thank you. 

Good news Belize has special tenders for power chairs and scooters. I've seen them. They did go to the front of the tender where they were in the sun but for sure you can tender at Belize with a motorized wheelchair. 

I've watched them and been on a tender where you could. Not every tender but they have them.

6 hours ago, crazyank said:

this

It sounds like everyone is saying that Belize will be a problem, are you saying that Honduras is the same? From the responses so far it sounded like the ship would be docked in Roatan.

We were on Celebrity in Roatan last summer. We docked there, but the Enchantment passengers had to tender. All the other berths were filled so I don’t know if that was a one off. If you look at your cruise invoice, it lists whether you will dock or tender At each port. Royal has a special needs department that can probably provide the best information for you if haven’t already contacted them. 

When looking at excursions on line , many times a description of mobility needs will be provided.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Dannymarg said:

It sounds like everyone is saying that Belize will be a problem, are you saying that Honduras is the same? From the responses so far it sounded like the ship would be docked in Roatan.

I've seen powered wheelchairs tender in Belize. Above some say your particular ship might not be set up for it. 

Roatan you dock downtown. No tender. I've docked here since it opened maybe close to 15 years ago and not once tendered. Someone above said he saw a ship tender. Must be rare. I'm sure I've docked 30 to 35 times over many years, never tendered. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 7:56 AM, kitkat343 said:

A 75 year old passenger with mobility issues died getting on a tender ship on Cunard after she fell in the ocean

She was high school teacher. That was a game changer for Cunard and a few other lines I think as well.

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've seen powered wheelchairs tender in Belize. Above some say your particular ship might not be set up for it. 

Roatan you dock downtown. No tender. I've docked here since it opened maybe close to 15 years ago and not once tendered. Someone above said he saw a ship tender. Must be rare. I'm sure I've docked 30 to 35 times over many years, never tendered. 

NCL used to tender before the new pier.

I do see Enchantment scheduled as a third ship sometimes - perhaps it tenders as the smallest ship?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

She was high school teacher. That was a game changer for Cunard and a few other lines I think as well.

Yes, Cunard takes tendering very seriously - they actually denied me a tender because my 2 year old son couldn't pass the step test on his own.  We told Cunard we would take the test carrying him across, and they still refused to let us go.  It took us nearly an hour of arguing with the front desk to finally be issued a tender ticket, by which time the tender boats were sailing half empty and no one bothered to check tickets.  When we got to the tender, the crew on Cunard did exactly what the crew on Princess did the year before - the employee on the ship picked him up and handed him to the employee working on he tender (basically they carried him across).  

I later wrote to Cunard prior to writing my review of the cruise, and Cunard confirmed their policy is to allow parents to take the step test carrying their kids.  I sailed Cunard again last Christmas, and this time they left written instructions in each cabin about the step test which stated that children can be carried.

In terms of Roatan, I docked both times I was there but am familiar with ports in which when too many ships dock, some must tender.  In St. Lucia I docked the first time I was there and tendered the second, a year later.  

The OP should absolutely contact the special needs department, but also can check cruise timetables to see how many ships will be docked in Roatan on their day of sailing.  The Roatan board or special needs department or the private vendors might know how many ships can dock in Roatan before tendering is required.  In terns of private vendors, we've used victor bodden twice, and there's also (I think Daniel Johnson) who is frequently mentioned.  If you like animals, hopefully their monkey/sloth visits or iguana would be accessible.  

Oh and as a general rule for the future, please read reviews carefully on NCL before booking with them - I've seen reviews from cruise critic members that  ports that were listed as docked at time of booking switching over to tendering after final payment, and travelers with mobility issues couldn't get off the ship.  Just check the reviews of the ship you are interested in on cruise critic to see if that issue had occurred on previous similar itineraries for your ship prior to booking.  I don't believe I've seen this issue mentioned on RC, so hopefully it won't be a problem for you.

Edited by kitkat343

On Enchantment last month on this itinerary.  We did dock at Roatan.  As others said, you may not based on how many other ships.  Tender only in Belize.  Enchantment had announcements that no motorized wheelchairs or even non-motorized would be able to tender.  Only people able to step into the tender themselves.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DonnaPei said:

On Enchantment last month on this itinerary.  We did dock at Roatan.  As others said, you may not based on how many other ships.  Tender only in Belize.  Enchantment had announcements that no motorized wheelchairs or even non-motorized would be able to tender.  Only people able to step into the tender themselves.

Thank you. This answer is very clear.

From Royal Caribbean web page 

In order to safely board most tenders, guests must be able to take steps and use a collapsible manual wheelchair. In addition, motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters can not be taken on tenders, unless roll-on capability is available. Inquire about tender roll-on capability at Guest Relations Desk while on board. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/additional-assistance#:~:text=In order to safely board,Relations Desk while on board.

6 hours ago, Dannymarg said:

yes, the ship should be docked in Roatan,  Belize will be a problem.

I’m currently on the Enchantment and today  we are in Roatan. Our ship had to TENDER  in.

OP, as others have mentioned, I don’t think it would be possible for you to get on this type of tender operation. 

I understand next week they will be docking,  I hope it works out for you, 

M

• Like 1