Alcohol for 20 year old?

I know that NCL will allow parents to sign a waiver to allow 19 or 20 year olds to drink wine or beer on board.  Does Royal have a similar policy?  I could find anything when searching the website or these boards.

9 minutes ago, garnet115 said:

I know that NCL will allow parents to sign a waiver to allow 19 or 20 year olds to drink wine or beer on board.  Does Royal have a similar policy?  I could find anything when searching the website or these boards.

No waivers allowed.  

2 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

It depends on the port of embarkation.  US ports require 21.  Europe, Asia South America and Australia it is 18.  

I have never heard of a parent waiver.

Many years ago, at least 15, I was able to sign a waiver in Barcelona to allow my then 18 year old son to drink beer and wine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Pretty much any ship sailing from a North America port will have a 21 year and older rule for alcohol..

Virgin Voyages is an exception.

12 hours ago, mets123 said:

Many years ago, at least 15, I was able to sign a waiver in Barcelona to allow my then 18 year old son to drink beer and wine.

Yes there definitely was a waiver, as you say about 15 years ago. 

All countries allow 18 yr olds to drink apart from the USA 🤷‍♀️

3 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

'All' is a bit strong, and makes your comment false.

You're very polite.  The poster's assertion is just plain wrong.

Ontario alone... drinking age is 19.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You're very polite.  The poster's assertion is just plain wrong.

Ontario alone... drinking age is 19.

All countries where RCI sail from ….🤷‍♀️

Edited by little britain

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

"All" is a bit strong, and makes your comment false.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/drinking-age-by-country

But that website is not quite correct either... In Germany you can buy/consume beer/wine (including sparkling) by the age of 16. Everything else the minimum drinking age is 18. With parents´ consent (and parents being present) a kid is allowed to drink beer or wine at the age of 14. They are thinking of changing it to 18 for everything. The website states 16 as minimum age not differing between beer/wine and other alcoholic beverages.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, steamboats said:

But that website is not quite correct either... In Germany you can buy/consume beer/wine (including sparkling) by the age of 16. Everything else the minimum drinking age is 18. With parents´ consent (and parents being present) a kid is allowed to drink beer or wine at the age of 14. They are thinking of changing it to 18 for everything. The website states 16 as minimum age not differing between beer/wine and other alcoholic beverages.

steamboats

Actually, it does have that in the "Additional Details" for Germany in the long table at the bottom. It says:

"It is prohibited to sell, serve or supply fermented alcohol beverages (beer, wine, cider and sparkling wine) to anyone under 16 years of age. However this age limit drops down to 14 if a minor is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. It is generally prohibited to serve, sell or supply any beverage containing spirits and foods containing spirits above negligible amounts, to anyone under the age of 18 years. Violation of the "Protection of Young Persons Act" can be fined up to €50,000."

1 minute ago, steamboats said:

@RobInMN I didn't scroll that far down. But the map is showing 16 als legal drinking age which is wrong. Legal drinking age is 18. There are just some exemptions.

steamboats 

Yeah, the map is overly simplistic. That's why they have the long table at the bottom. 🙂 

Hi,

Of course, I know of families who have been discreet and returned to their stateroom with a drink, and then who's to know who drank it, unless you do something silly like go out onto a balcony in view of crew or cameras.

I know rules are rules and they are there for a reason, but there is a difference between a stranger trying to get someone drunk and a family just trying to have a nice time. 

I would strongly advise against trying to give him/her alcohol whilst on board anywhere else as getting caught could mean being kicked off at the next port.

BTW, depending on where your ship is sailing, some of the ports of call along the way may have bars that serve 18 year olds. Nassau has such bars, so if you are going somewhere like there, then he/she can legally purchase a drink, just make sure to bring ID. You could check ahead of bars at your ports of call to see if this is an option.

Mick.

We have traveled with my 20 year old niece.  She had no problems getting served while she was with her mother or one of us.  My 23 year old daughter (and many of the friends they made on 2 cruises) also were able to easily provide her with alcohol with out being overly sneaky, but also not their faces about it.  Discretion is the better part of valor apparently.  They were also extremely well behaved, did not make any type of a splash and NEVER would have questioned or argued with a crew member who declined to serve them or questioned them in any way.

2 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

Of course, I know of families who have been discreet and returned to their stateroom with a drink, and then who's to know who drank it, unless you do something silly like go out onto a balcony in view of crew or cameras.

I know rules are rules and they are there for a reason, but there is a difference between a stranger trying to get someone drunk and a family just trying to have a nice time. 

I would strongly advise against trying to give him/her alcohol whilst on board anywhere else as getting caught could mean being kicked off at the next port.

BTW, depending on where your ship is sailing, some of the ports of call along the way may have bars that serve 18 year olds. Nassau has such bars, so if you are going somewhere like there, then he/she can legally purchase a drink, just make sure to bring ID. You could check ahead of bars at your ports of call to see if this is an option.

Mick.

Agreed.  Not worth the risk.  That is why we are waiting to sail until my son turns 21 in a couple months.  We are letting him bring a friend and the reason we denied his first request of friend to bring along.  That friend doesn't turn 21 until a month after we sail.  I know they would have tried to sneak him something and probably would not get caught, but I am not taking any chances.  

3 hours ago, luvbrady said:

We have traveled with my 20 year old niece.  She had no problems getting served while she was with her mother or one of us.  My 23 year old daughter (and many of the friends they made on 2 cruises) also were able to easily provide her with alcohol with out being overly sneaky, but also not their faces about it.  Discretion is the better part of valor apparently.  They were also extremely well behaved, did not make any type of a splash and NEVER would have questioned or argued with a crew member who declined to serve them or questioned them in any way.

This was our experience cruising with our daughter before she turned 21.  Always was served at dinner, they just charged to my sea pass.  I never had to ask, this was just sort of glossed over by our servers.  Also was always served in the suite lounge.