Vlogging on cruise ships

14 hours ago, gerryuk said:

A cruise ship is private property, the owners have every right to stop people filming on their property.

The owners also have every right to allow people to film on their property. It is entirely possible a vlogger has the approval of the cruise line and may even be subsidized, in whole or in part, in return for a favorable review.

The prospect of my image appearing on someone's blog doesn't trouble me if the video is taken in a place with public access. If the filming becomes intrusive or irritating then complaints should be made to the cruise staff. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MacMadame said:

The vloggers involved did that. According to Ben & David's video on the subject, MSC said that only influencers who had registered with them ahead of time (and agreed to certain things?) were allowed to video. So it had nothing to do with their behavior and everything to do with MSC rules (that don't seem to be published?)

I am not familiar with the specifics of the MSC issue and frankly don't care as I am not attempting to vilify the vloggers or defend the cruise line specific to this instance.  As I've clearly said in my responses, I am simply addressing my feelings on vloggers actions in general as it would relate to myself and other passengers, and my support of any cruise line who would restrict or regulate that.  I am not going to get further into the weeds of this specific instance.  I wasn't there and don't know all the complete circumstances.  As a result I, at least, am not qualified to comment on what transpired in this instance. Nor is passing any judgement my point.  I am simply stating my position in general regarding this type of on board activity.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

16 hours ago, MacMadame said:

So vloggers can't go on vacation? Also, what counts as a vlogger? I have a YouTube channel but I don't think anyone would call me a vlogger. I think I have 2 subs. LOL (I have 26 on TikTok - whee!) These days lots of people take photos and make videos while on vacation and often post them on social media. That doesn't make them vloggers.

Whatever you call them, the annoyance factor can be the same.  I'm not taking cruises to accommodate someone's social media addictions.  Folks should do their things but not at the expense of fellow guests.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All in all I think the vloggers provide a decent service to the cruising community at large and can be helpful to those planning travel.  I look not only at cruise content, but content for air travel and general destination information as well.  

In the Ben and David case, my understanding is that MSC has asked them to help develop guidelines for future filming by vloggers on board their ships.  I think this looks like a win-win for both Ben and David as well as MSC.

At least in the cruise business, the impact of social media must be material.  I find it interesting that MSC, which is a multi-billion euro enterprise, didn't dismiss Ben and David out of hand as their online presence yields influence and vloggers must help drive MSC business in a material way.  

As someone who only recently started consuming material from YouTube vloggers, I've come to realize that there are two different types. (Or probably more, but only two I can think of that relate to cruising.)

One type are made by disruptive entities who are out to shock people, break rules, etc. and generally annoy people on film. I call these the sensationalists. Japan, for example, has recently arrested, fined, banned and/or deported several non-Japanese tourist "vloggers" who have done things like riding long-distance trains without paying, shouting provocative statements, behaving badly in restaurants, etc. I believe I remember hearing about at least one similar incident on a cruise ship a few years ago when several "youtubers" booked a cruise line specifically to see if they could get themselves thrown off. (Spoiler alert: they did.)

The other type are the helpful ones such as those mentioned above. 

The former should definitely be banned. I have no real issues with the latter, but TBH I haven't actually encountered any of them on my cruises so far.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As someone who only recently started consuming material from YouTube vloggers, I've come to realize that there are two different types. (Or probably more, but only two I can think of that relate to cruising.)

One type are made by disruptive entities who are out to shock people, break rules, etc. and generally annoy people on film. I call these the sensationalists. Japan, for example, has recently arrested, fined, banned and/or deported several non-Japanese tourist "vloggers" who have done things like riding long-distance trains without paying, shouting provocative statements, behaving badly in restaurants, etc. I believe I remember hearing about at least one similar incident on a cruise ship a few years ago when several "youtubers" booked a cruise line specifically to see if they could get themselves thrown off. (Spoiler alert: they did.)

The other type are the helpful ones such as those mentioned above. 

The former should definitely be banned. I have no real issues with the latter, but TBH I haven't actually encountered any of them on my cruises so far.

You must have an interesting search history then that cause the YouTube algorithm to suggest the aforementioned videos.

Ive done many years of research of ships, cabins, destinations, etc and have never once viewed such videos on YouTube. Not to say they’re not there, but,,,,, I’m just sayin. Paul Harvey and such,,,,

11 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

You must have an interesting search history then that cause the YouTube algorithm to suggest the aforementioned videos.

Ive done many years of research of ships, cabins, destinations, etc and have never once viewed such videos on YouTube. Not to say they’re not there, but,,,,, I’m just sayin. Paul Harvey and such,,,,

Not sure I understand your point?

https://www.businessinsider.com/nelk-boys-youtube-kicked-off-cruise-pranks-disturbing-guests-2022-1

https://japantoday.com/category/features/opinions/should-youtuber-johnny-somali-get-prison-time-in-japan

I watch a few of the cruise YouTube channels.

Emma Cruises is far and away the best and I have only really fallen into Cruise Buoys and Travel Blog Jamie as Emma can't possibly churn out enough.

I haven't watched the MSC video in question but I suspect its the best possible thing that could have happened for the channel its on.

I have no issue with bloggers filming, but as has been said it should never be intrusive. If I am on a ship and feel that I am being filmed when I don't want to be then I will stop it.

I'm guessing that those who discredit and demonize vloggers on cruise ships feel the same about Captain Kate from NCL? She has people and crew in the background who most likely didn't give her written permission to be in her videos.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If you are referring to Captain Kate McCue, she is with Celebrity and is the Captain on Beyond, not NCL.

You're right. My bad. But same story.

15 hours ago, Miss Ellsworth said:

It depends on how they go about creating their videos. I don't want to have dinner next to people who have set up a camera at the edge of their table and are filming the entire time, but it'd be many many times worse if they were also narrating and/or mugging for the camera through most of it. It's the voices, like being next to some stranger on s phone call, that are more intrusive 

And if I watch a YouTube video and see the host is walking through parts of the ship with people, trying to maneuver through with a selfie stick, I'm out. Who wants to watch you walk around talking? I saw one where a guy walked into the young children's area with his beshitted selfie stick and everyone (staff and other parents) all had to adjust while he pirouetted around filming the whole thing while, you guessed it, narrating the whole time. 

But does anyone watch Emma Cruises? Now that is how to make top-flight cruise videos, and unobtrusively to boot. First, it's almost all voice-over with very little real-time narration and almost all on-camera narration is done in cabins or non-public places. Second, she manages to capture parts of the ship busy with people but never with anyone in her immediate area. She shoots from terraces above, or the buffet from a place off to the side - she captures the crowds and people but not from among them

Voice-overs, no selfie sticks, and arm's-length perspective of life on board also result in smooth, polished, and professional productions. You can tell they're well-prepared and thoughtful. I have no objections to this at all

I really like Emma Cruises for all the reasons you stated. She also has a very pleasant, cheerful voice.

• Like 1

I have no issue with Vloggers at all. 

Some are really good, and dont video people indiscriminately.

Ben and David, the ones in question on this thread, are very very good. Well they are from my part of the world afterall, so they would be. They are very entertaining.

I watch a lot of their content as well as another 2 couples from the UK. Couples that are around my age bracket.

I dont blindly follow them though.

One of the couples from the UK love ballroom dancing, and loved the Cunard ballroom nights(Not sure what the actual names are for these nights)

I actually couldnt think of anything worse than ballroom dancing so will swerve this completely. Not turning into my parents just yet thank you very much.

So its all good info.

On 3/16/2024 at 7:14 AM, K32682 said:

The owners also have every right to allow people to film on their property. It is entirely possible a vlogger has the approval of the cruise line and may even be subsidized, in whole or in part, in return for a favorable review.

The prospect of my image appearing on someone's blog doesn't trouble me if the video is taken in a place with public access. If the filming becomes intrusive or irritating then complaints should be made to the cruise staff. 

And since almost everyone has a smartphone how is it detemined who is a vlogger  unless the vloggers tell the cruise line? I think anyone  has to be allowed to film and take photos but anyone vlogger or not who is disruptive in the way they do it can be asked to stop. 

One thing they could do is make a rule like they have at some  sports stadiums. You can only use your smartphone to video. That limits disruptions as everyone has a smartphone so the vloggers would blend in. With a state of the art phone like for example the iPhone15  Pro Max which does excellent video and has ultra wide angle, regular and a 150mm tele lens the bloggers don't need anything better