Celebrity's actual deceit on Move Up - bid for upgrade

george_sf

32 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I have an AMA Waterways river cruise coming up.  Afterwards I will do a comparison with Celebrity.

That to me is comparing apples to green beans.  Been on both river and ocean and the similarities are they both travel on water and make multiple stops.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

That to me is comparing apples to green beans.  Been on both river and ocean and the similarities are they both travel on water and make multiple stops.

You can compare the dining,  hotel service,  and amenities.  You can also compare a land based resort to the Celebrity floating hotel.  Sure a bit different,  but everyone has to eat and sleep.  You can compare the commonalities.

Edited by NMTraveller

9 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

You can compare the dining,  hotel service,  and amenities.  You can also compare a land based resort to the Celebrity floating hotel.  Sure a bit different,  but everyone has to eat and sleep.  You can compare the commonalities.

Sure and I can also compare a Cadillac Esplanade to a Kia Sportage, everyone has to drive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, jelayne said:

That’s a tough one…  Nevertheless, I prefer a nifty noble asparagus.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liao said:

Sure and I can also compare a Cadillac Esplanade to a Kia Sportage, everyone has to drive.

This. The fact that there are far fewer people on river cruises and that often the food is sourced in each city where the ship stops automatically makes it an unfair comparison. Honestly ditto service - naturally when there are fewer people to take care of service is likely to be above.

Even my TA says she would never compare a river cruise to a sea cruise as they are two completely different experiences.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Liao said:

I feel that the Kia is Celebrity in this case.  And you are paying Cadillac prices.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, prmssk said:

It was the chance upgrade they lost out on, a room they weren't expecting to get in the first place.

the whole point is that they didn't LOSE out on it. They won the bid.

21 hours ago, prmssk said:

I've been following this thread and although I would be disappointed to get an upgrade that was then taken away from me, I wouldn't walk away thinking I was entitled to anything besides the refund of the Move Up bid.  If they gave me a couple hundred dollars of OBC in addition, I would actually consider myself ahead.  

sure, if I bid on the move from an inside to a balcony for $400 total (as I did with Princess), won it and it was then taken away, a couple of hundred dollars of OBC would have been a nice consolation prize. However, OP paid more than $5K (that's more than I pay for any cruise for the 3 of us) for the upgrade, won it, lost it and then got a measly $200 consolation OBC. I would be very upset.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

This. The fact that there are far fewer people on river cruises and that often the food is sourced in each city where the ship stops automatically makes it an unfair comparison. Honestly ditto service - naturally when there are fewer people to take care of service is likely to be above.

Even my TA says she would never compare a river cruise to a sea cruise as they are two completely different experiences.

Well thanks everyone for convincing me to go on a river cruise 😁

I won't compare to the Kia then...

Edited by NMTraveller

14 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I feel that the Kia is Celebrity in this case.  And you are paying Cadillac prices.

huh? not getting this..

We drive Hyundais in NY and a big KIA in Fl....Had a  Lincoln Navigator as a recent rental.. ugh! Could not turn it in fast enough! We pay what we think is  fair price..

Issue here is that  a  move up bid was accepted,  bidder was notified they won the bid,  and their credit card was charged  and then  POOF!

• Like 1

I have never done a move up bid because I like to know where my room is on the ship. That is more important to me than the type of room. That said, I have been tempted to do it to surprise my DW.

If I got the room category in a bid and then Celebrity "changed their mind", I would be beyond upset. Especially with what was offered as compensation to the OP.

I have had customer service reps tell me that I can't talk to their manager because they are out of the office for an extended period. My reply usually is, "and I am sure they deserve their time away because of their important job. So I am sure that there must be someone else covering for them while they are away, yes?"

Once I had a rep tell me that they didn't know who was covering for their manager and I just said, "I understand, I'll wait while you find out."

OP, only good wishes to a wonderful vacation for you and your spouse.

• Like 4

In orchards of dawn, where sun-kissed branches sway, Apples blush crimson, their secrets tucked away. They whisper tales of crisp mornings and dew-kissed skin, Of orchard dances, where the wind joins in.

Oranges, bold and vivacious, burst forth with zest, Their laughter echoing through citrus-scented quests. They roll down hills, chasing sunbeams with glee, A vibrant tango of sweetness and mystery.

Asparagus, the quiet poet of the soil, Emerges from earth, its green tendrils uncoil. It weaves verses of spring, of renewal and grace, A verdant ode to life’s tender embrace.

Now, behold the Cadillac Escalade, regal and grand, Its chrome curves cutting through landscapes like a command. Leather-clad seats cradle dreams of open roads, As the engine hums stories only nightfall knows.

Yet not far behind, the Kia Sportage humbly strides, A nimble companion on life’s winding rides. Compact and spirited, it navigates with ease, Through city streets and forest glades, under moonlit trees.

And there, on the horizon, a tranquil reverie, A river cruise unfolds—a voyage to set hearts free. The water’s gentle lullaby cradles weary souls, As landscapes unfurl, painting tales on ancient scrolls.

So let us raise our glasses, a toast to this blend, Of fruits, cars, and rivers—their harmonies transcend. For life’s symphony plays on, a sweet, savory tune, Where apples meet Cadillacs, and asparagus meets the moon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

In orchards of dawn, where sun-kissed branches sway, Apples blush crimson, their secrets tucked away. They whisper tales of crisp mornings and dew-kissed skin, Of orchard dances, where the wind joins in.

Oranges, bold and vivacious, burst forth with zest, Their laughter echoing through citrus-scented quests. They roll down hills, chasing sunbeams with glee, A vibrant tango of sweetness and mystery.

Asparagus, the quiet poet of the soil, Emerges from earth, its green tendrils uncoil. It weaves verses of spring, of renewal and grace, A verdant ode to life’s tender embrace.

Now, behold the Cadillac Escalade, regal and grand, Its chrome curves cutting through landscapes like a command. Leather-clad seats cradle dreams of open roads, As the engine hums stories only nightfall knows.

Yet not far behind, the Kia Sportage humbly strides, A nimble companion on life’s winding rides. Compact and spirited, it navigates with ease, Through city streets and forest glades, under moonlit trees.

And there, on the horizon, a tranquil reverie, A river cruise unfolds—a voyage to set hearts free. The water’s gentle lullaby cradles weary souls, As landscapes unfurl, painting tales on ancient scrolls.

So let us raise our glasses, a toast to this blend, Of fruits, cars, and rivers—their harmonies transcend. For life’s symphony plays on, a sweet, savory tune, Where apples meet Cadillacs, and asparagus meets the moon.

That’s a some piece of poetry!

A decade ago there was a last minute opportunity to book the penthouse for $1,000 pp more than the cabin we had booked.  This was offered the day before the sailing.  We were about to celebrate our 200th cruise point (the equivalent of double Zenith now) and we decided to pay for the upgrade.  The next morning we boarded Constellation and were assigned the Royal Suite.  The penthouse went to the former occupant of the Royal Suite.  It seems the upgrade was just too much from our previous cabin.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I think you overused AI? I'm pretty sure you're the poster who 'composed' a poem for me one day in the not too distant past.  One all about an ocean goer (and factored in a few other descriptions that made little sense, but I did get the 'references'...😉).

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, billc23 said:

Celebrity is the flunky on this one - total service failure on many levels.

A management level CSR could have deliver the news with a profuse apology, an explanation of what transpired, a gift of all the upper suite benefits, and a promise to expedite the credit card refund. In addition, they could state their desire to improve their system so this event is unlikely to occur in the future. Then follow up with an email and phone call from the shoreside team for in room alcohol, speciality dining, etc. Service failures happen in all industries. The key is how the company addresses the issue and Celebrity failed the OP on this one. Why wouldn't Celebrity want a post on social media to say that a passenger was upset with an event but Celebrity went over the top to make them happy. 

I very much agree with this.  The higher up person with more authority should have contacted the OP.  And offer better compensation with sincere apology.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I think you overused AI? I'm pretty sure you're the poster who 'composed' a poem for me one day in the not too distant past.  One all about an ocean goer (and factored in a few other descriptions that made little sense, but I did get the 'references'...😉).

Pls dont say it was AI   .I enjoyed the literary diversion but dislike AI or robots of any kind!

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Could that be D***a or D******e?  Both were very helpful to me. 

D***a. "Fish" if you get my drift 😉

Glad she was helpful to you. She gets a 50% rating then! 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, george_sf said:

D***a. "Fish" if you get my drift 😉

Glad she was helpful to you. She gets a 50% rating then! 

If that 'fish' is little known, I get it...otherwise not sure it's the same person.  First D (D***na) was as helpful as she could be, but 2nd D (Do*****e) went beyond and situation was resolved (a banking/credit issue and complex).  Can't imagine why your situation wasn't elevated in a way that would be satisfactory.  Try, try again maybe?  305-614-1343 might help if you haven't accessed it already.  BTW...fish/drift......good play on words.☺️

Edited by Oceangoer2

11 hours ago, hcat said:

Pls dont say it was AI   .I enjoyed the literary diversion but dislike AI or robots of any kind!

You would have to ask the author....if it's human....😉.  My reaction as well to robots in some circumstances.  Not hard at this point to know when it's artificially created but in the future.....?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 9:10 PM, Liao said:

as long as they are within the terms & conditions, whether one likes them or not and if not, don't sign

Dear lord.  Can you not even fathom the emotional aspect of this?  Customers aren't robots...they are actual people with human feelings.  What one can do doesn't always align with what one SHOULD do, and in the uber-competitive hospitality industry, it's essential to understand this.

Edited by CruisinShips
  • Like 5