Cabin door and or wall decorations

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here's some food for thought. 

What makes you think that the outer surface of your cabin door is "yours"?  

I would consider it as part of a common area, just like the doors and hallways in condominiums. In my condo, we are not free to "decorate" the outer surface of our doors or leave any kind of mat outside or anything else that would distinguish one unit from another (other than the standard door number). 

Would you leave something that belongs to you in a common area and expect that it's going to be there when you get back? 

If you feel the need to decorate, perhaps better to do it inside your cabin where YOU can appreciate it, and no one will take it.

If the goal is only to make your cabin distinguishable from others, I've never understood why a huge display is needed.

Also: people are waaaay too quick to resort to fisticuffs. If you're going to get that passionate about it, leave it at home.

THIS ^ ^ ^!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:37 AM, 1bighund said:

On our last cruise - NCL Prima Dec. 2023 - there was one cabin with a door decoration  and people kept moving it to different doors !

THIS IS HILARIOUS!!! 🤣🤣🤣

6 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

THIS ^ ^ ^!

except poster clearly said  -  twice now - that he was joking about the fisitcuffs.

and of course the outside of the door isnt yours, nor is the inside - what a strange comment.

and no, you dont need a huge display- but for some  people it is a fun and enjoyable thing to do - and why not?

what  I cant understand is why it bothers anyone else.

Like lots of things, if you don't want to do it, don't - but it isnt that hard to understand that other people can enjoy something even if you don't.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2024 at 5:04 AM, dmwnc1959 said:

Yes, it’s your vacation, but also the vacation of everyone in your passageway that has to look at that display on your cabin door. I know it may be ‘cute’ to you, but others also look at it as an unsightly blight, low-class, tacky, and an all-together visual irritant that needs to disappear. 

Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! I consider door decorations tacky... Moreso when they include a political message.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

Like lots of things, if you don't want to do it, don't - but it isnt that hard to understand that other people can enjoy something even if you don't.

More often than not it’s hard to miss. 🎊 And from the pictures I’ve seen, it’s never just a little refrigerator magnet, more akin to the graffiti that someone eluded to earlier. 😳

Rather than reply to any naysayers I'll just tack this on here. Where we used to live, about a mile away, was a house, nice woodsy looking. The house next door was about the brightest blue ever. Just think, the owners of the brown house got to look at the blue house maybe multiple times a day.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Rather than reply to any naysayers I'll just tack this on here. Where we used to live, about a mile away, was a house, nice woodsy looking. The house next door was about the brightest blue ever. Just think, the owners of the brown house got to look at the blue house maybe multiple times a day.

Not sure what you're getting at... the owners of the blue house get to look at the brown house a lot too.

• Like 1

Just now, d9704011 said:

Not sure what you're getting at... the owners of the blue house get to look at the brown house a lot too.

Well, I'll give a bit more detail. This was on the shores of Lake Tahoe. Currently any house at lake front or that can be seen from the lake has a palette of quite woodsy colors. So you can drive miles and miles and never see anything like it. I'd love to know the story; there must be one 🙂

2 hours ago, whogo said:

Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! I consider door decorations tacky... Moreso when they include a political message.

I am able to ignore most graffiti on buildings (usually in run-down neighborhoods) - it doesn’t hurt me, although I am inclined to think that it rarely improves the ambience of an area.  Of course, in New York, for example, you very rarely see it on Fifth or Park Avenues - or in up-scale neighborhoods generally. 

I wonder if door decorations on cruise ships are as common on the upper decks (where pricier suites are located) as on the lower deck, inside corridors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

More often than not it’s hard to miss. 🎊 And from the pictures I’ve seen, it’s never just a little refrigerator magnet, more akin to the graffiti that someone eluded to earlier. 😳

So it's not hard to miss.

Still not seeing how it affects you though or why the need for snobby comments about something other people enjoy, just because you don't do it yourself. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

So it's not hard to miss.

Still not seeing how it affects you though or why the need for snobby comments about something other people enjoy, just because you don't do it yourself. 

I think you are being baited.   Just sayin.  

Thanks for the comments.  It does take a certain maturity to accept someone may like things (like door decorations) that someone else might not find appealing. 

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 4

thanks ldubs.

yes  I think discussion has come to an end, nothing new being said.

I do really dislike snobbery - but time for me to leave this alone unless anyone has anything new to say.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

There was one that was purple around here. Word was, it was to keep lizards off their house, which kinda makes sense. Purple ain't my thing but if it works, it works. FWIW it was a block house, so they could probably change the color pretty easily.

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 1:13 PM, cruisemom42 said:

What makes you think that the outer surface of your cabin door is "yours"?  

That's actually the best argument "against" that I've heard, but let me ask this:  If my door is damaged, are they going to charge me for the repair?  

On 3/26/2024 at 5:49 AM, wcook said:

I know my cabin is two doors down from where Timmy and Tommy are celebrating the Best Cruise Ever. 

People have said to me more than a few times, "I've been enjoying your goldfish -- I look for them and know I'm two doors down.  I'm going to bring something for my own door next cruise."  

On 3/26/2024 at 5:54 AM, Noledad77 said:

Never said the door was mine.

Never said I was putting up a huge display.

Yeah, typical of this board -- you say something, and someone else extrapolates your thoughts to an extreme.  

13 hours ago, whogo said:

Moreso when they include a political message.

I've never personally seen a political message on a door, though I have seen a whole table of MAGA ballcaps in the MDR. 

I'd like to think messages that're distasteful to the general public would be removed. 

Every door decoration I've ever seen either commemorated an event (Happy Birthday) or included general cruise-and-island-themed items (palm trees, port holes, margarita glasses).  When we cruised on Halloween, we saw loads of holiday decorations.  Occasionally a sports-team theme.  But I've never personally seen anything even remotely controversial.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

That's actually the best argument "against" that I've heard, but let me ask this:  If my door is damaged, are they going to charge me for the repair?  

People have said to me more than a few times, "I've been enjoying your goldfish -- I look for them and know I'm two doors down.  I'm going to bring something for my own door next cruise."  

Yeah, typical of this board -- you say something, and someone else extrapolates your thoughts to an extreme.  

I've never personally seen a political message on a door, though I have seen a whole table of MAGA ballcaps in the MDR. 

I'd like to think messages that're distasteful to the general public would be removed. 

Every door decoration I've ever seen either commemorated an event (Happy Birthday) or included general cruise-and-island-themed items (palm trees, port holes, margarita glasses).  When we cruised on Halloween, we saw loads of holiday decorations.  Occasionally a sports-team theme.  But I've never personally seen anything even remotely controversial.  

Honestly, my plan was to pay homage to baseball with one cabin door (my boys and I are big fans), dance/dancing/gymnastics on the second one (for my younger daughter and her friend) and music notes and Dachshunds on the third, for my MIL (who has played music for a long time) and my older daughter, who was in marching band. Won't be anything political - like most others, we have our opinions but I've been working on trying to keep my kids from espousing their worldly views in a setting such as a cruise ship, sporting events or other such public places where there will be a large, diverse crowd. It can be daunting, but I think it's becoming a little more clear to them as they get older.

I appreciate the feedback on the topic. Maybe I'll task my wife with finding stuff and make it easier on myself. Nah, I'll just end up doing it myself anyhow. Cheers, y'all!

• Like 2

I finally heard from an Avalon representative. It seems their cabin doors are not like the large cruise ships.  It's not metal. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you to everyone that responded to my question. We'll be leaving tonight. Wishing everyone Happy Sailing. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

How did we get to the point where posting a political preference is not politically correct.   🙂  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

How did we get to the point where posting a political preference is not politically correct.   🙂  

Politics should be left at home. It's a vacation. Politics and religion bring out the worst in people. Save it for after your trip.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DennysDad said:

Politics should be left at home. It's a vacation. Politics and religion bring out the worst in people. Save it for after your trip.

Eh, it was a joke.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DennysDad said:

Who can tell anymore. LOL 

Sometimes (a lot of times), I am the only one laughing at my jokes!  😀

• Haha 2

On 3/21/2024 at 9:01 AM, Noledad77 said:

Been thinking about this for about a month - Are there any websites that specialize in cabin door or wall decorations? Is it just Amazon, since they literally have everything? I was thinking about baseball decorations, since my boys and I are all Braves fans, but I just looked and our cruise starts on the last day of games before the All-Star break, so it doesn't seem like it would be very "fitting". I'm actually kinda bummed that we won't get to watch more than 1 game during our cruise, but I digress... I'm thinking the answer is likely Amazon, but I wasn't sure if there was a niche website for decorations. Thanks, y'all!

I create my own.  Either find an image online or make one I want.  Print it on photo paper, and back it with self adhesive magnets I get from Michael's.  Of course, this is for those lines that will only allow magnetic decorations.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 5:00 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Good point- likening door decorations to graffiti. The hall is a common area- and, while I don’t get upset about what others want to do to their doors while on a cruise, I am happy that my HOA has a few rules about plantings, getting approval for house colors, not parking boats in driveways, leaving abandoned sofas and plumbing appliances in front yards, etc.  Community living, even for just a week on a cruise ship, does need some respect for others.

The condo that I live in will fine a resident $750.00 if the color of their deck and or terrace is not a dark brown.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

The condo that I live in will fine a resident $750.00 if the color of their deck and or terrace is not a dark brown.

Our HOA (22 free- standing houses on about 10 acres total - about 8 of which are nature preserve, so each house has a shade over 1/4 acre “limited element”) has specified requirements - but provides a good palette of colors for houses, trim decks, etc. to choose from - and is generally open to variances - I am on the House and Grounds Committee - and cannot recall any requests for approval turned down . No one has asked for a purple house with yellow hexagons - but I suspect they might be disappointed if they tried.

Strict limit of two can be rented out at any time.

• Like 1