Jamaica safety

With the current unrest in Haiti, how does everyone feel about Jamaica?  While I realize they are separate countries and islands, they are separated by just a short boat/plane ride away.  I have a cruise on Odyssey of the Seas in 2 weeks that I'm getting uncomfortable with.  Thanks for any feedback.

I was at Labadee and Jamaica two weeks ago on Symphony. I felt safer at Labadee than I did at Jamaica. I have been to Jamaica numerous times the last few years, but I never leave the immediate port area when I get off the ship. Having said that, a lot of people leave the immediate port area and as far as I know have not had any issues recently. 

We did Chukka in Jamaica in Feb and I loved it. I never felt unsafe. We booked it through Royal. I wouldn’t go walking around Jamaica alone but no reason not to book an excursion.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

You have a better chance of getting eaten by a shark than be a victim of violent crime in Jamaica as a cruise ship passenger. 

Weren’t you worried about Haiti at a very high level?  I am thinking your logic is a bit off.  Port Au Prince is super scary.  Labadee, not.  Ocho Rios, Jamaica, pretty scary… anywhere outside of fenced in cruise line areas pretty scary.  Falmouth, Jamaica not so much.  

I am sure that the thugs in Port Au Prince will be in control of the Haitian Navy and will conquer Jamaica this weekend.  So much for March Madness.😂

• Haha 8

First of all the issues in Haiti have no impact on anything in Jamaica.  That being said, I would not wander far off on my own in Jamaica but feel quite comfortable with ship based and local resort based excursions.  Have been there many times docked at Ocho Rios, Falmouth, and Montego Bay. We were at Jamaica docked in Falmouth in January and did an AI day pass at a resort 20 minutes away by way of their shuttle and felt perfectly safe and would do so again without concern. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jackadapt said:

With the current unrest in Haiti, how does everyone feel about Jamaica?  While I realize they are separate countries and islands, they are separated by just a short boat/plane ride away.  I have a cruise on Odyssey of the Seas in 2 weeks that I'm getting uncomfortable with.  Thanks for any feedback.

It's about 500 km from Port au Prince to the island of Jamaica.  I'd say the chances of an overflow of the problems in Haiti to Jamaica by boat or air are negligible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Jamaica and Roatan are both lovely stops.  But in both, you should prearrange a tour, either from a private tour operator or through RC.  I would not recommend getting in a random cab or wandering either country alone  (the people we met on our 3 trips to Jamaica and 2 to Roatan who tried to explore by themselves were not happy) but we had 5 lovely days in both countries, with interesting excursions and felt safe because we had prearranged private tours with drivers that we researched on tripadvisor.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Weren’t you worried about Haiti at a very high level?  I am thinking your logic is a bit off.  Port Au Prince is super scary.  Labadee, not.  Ocho Rios, Jamaica, pretty scary… anywhere outside of fenced in cruise line areas pretty scary.  Falmouth, Jamaica not so much.  

I am sure that the thugs in Port Au Prince will be in control of the Haitian Navy and will conquer Jamaica this weekend.  So much for March Madness.😂

Jamaica has a leader that is in the country and not hiding in another country. It doesn't have 4,000 escaped convicts, Half the country isn't starving, They are not. waiting on a peace keeping force to restore order.... shall I go on??? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jackadapt said:

Don't see the correlation

10 hours ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

Jamaica has a leader that is in the country and not hiding in another country. It doesn't have 4,000 escaped convicts, Half the country isn't starving, They are not. waiting on a peace keeping force to restore order.... shall I go on??? 

So, we should visit Haiti never?   You have gone on, but I am still waiting for the invasion of the zip line and the battle of the jet skis.  I mean there was so much danger, think of all the Coca Cola left behind.  If I was starving the battle of the mountain coaster would keep me alive for months.  😉

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, link99 said:

Was just in Jamaica Tuesday on Explorer.did Hilton Rose Hall never felt unsafe once. They took very good care of us.

How was this excursion?  Thinking of doing it for an upcoming cruise.  Do you remember what the price was and was it worth it?

11 hours ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

Haiti has been messed up for decades.  Yet never anything more than nuisance issues at labadee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Haiti has been messed up for decades.  Yet never anything more than nuisance issues at labadee.

I am sure that Moscow venue was safe for years too. Everything is safe until it is not. When you have an island where law has broken down and RCL has canceled porting there then you need to open your eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, we should visit Haiti never?   You have gone on, but I am still waiting for the invasion of the zip line and the battle of the jet skis.  I mean there was so much danger, think of all the Coca Cola left behind.  If I was starving the battle of the mountain coaster would keep me alive for months.  😉

You obviously have never been starving otherwise you probably wouldn't be making jokes. People in desperate needs do desperate things, but you do you.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

I am sure that Moscow venue was safe for years too. Everything is safe until it is not. When you have an island where law has broken down and RCL has canceled porting there then you need to open your eyes.

Royal cancelling stops does not mean Labadee is unsafe. Personal safety during a port stop was WAAAYYYYYY down the list in this decision making process.