Constipation while cruising

Okay, this will be our 2nd AMA cruise, but, we still feel like new cruisers!
I just spent time looking here for the keyword "constipation", but did not see exactly
what I am looking for.

For people who have chronic constipation, how do you manage it on a cruise?  Even
when OTC products work, they can create a situation where one is disinclined to stray

too far from the toilet.   And even if not an emergency, one does not really want to 

find a public restroom in many large cities.

So: does anyone have a recommendation for a real overnight remedy?   One that will

not endanger the entire next day?

Thanks to all, and sorry for raising this!

Posted (edited)

Probably want to avoid laxatives then, and opt for a daily stool softener instead. That will hopefully improve regularity without sudden urgency. Ask your pharmacist. Metamucil is available in several forms. Increasing fluid intake, and fruits and vegetables is a definite help. Prunes or prune juice.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

Thanks to both of you.  Sorry I should have made several things clear:  I eat a healthy diet of mostly home-cooked foods with lots of vegetables (and garlic).  I also take Metamucil and some Miralax daily.   I used to take a stool softener each day, and I drink a fair amount of water.   I have tried prune juice regularly.   It is probable that my constipation could be caused at least partly because I have neuropathy issues for my cervical and lumbar spine, and this can be related to constipation, as the nerves need to all work properly to move things through.

So my question is not about "constipation in general" as all of these ideas can be found online.  But on a cruise, where every day is planned, I would prefer not to be stuck on ship because I had to take a more drastic laxative which could take all day to work.   I was hoping for someone who might say they had the same issue...

2 hours ago, birdman518 said:

For people who have chronic constipation, how do you manage it on a cruise? 

My DH manages the same on a cruise as at home -- two capsules of CitraCel a day. Active ingredient is methylcellulose which takes up water in the intestines and is not digest-able, which (they say) does not cause the flatulence of digestable fiber.

Strangely, it is good for diarrhea as well as constipation!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, birdman518 said:

But on a cruise, where every day is planned, I would prefer not to be stuck on ship because I had to take a more drastic laxative which could take all day to work.   I was hoping for someone who might say they had the same issue...

Reading what you posted while I was writing, I would recommend you work with your physicians on a personalized regime.

• Like 4

Sometimes experiencing this situation on board I know can be challenging.

We try to keep to balanced items on the menus from breakfast to dinner. We even ask for additional vegie's since some plates don't have too much plated.

Like on board our Cunard ship, they do offer variety of Juices they will help and also Stewed Fruits for breakfast.

I do hope you can solve your problem if it pops up and still enjoy your sailings.

23 hours ago, birdman518 said:

Okay, this will be our 2nd AMA cruise, but, we still feel like new cruisers!
I just spent time looking here for the keyword "constipation", but did not see exactly
what I am looking for.

For people who have chronic constipation, how do you manage it on a cruise?  Even
when OTC products work, they can create a situation where one is disinclined to stray

too far from the toilet.   And even if not an emergency, one does not really want to 

find a public restroom in many large cities.

So: does anyone have a recommendation for a real overnight remedy?   One that will

not endanger the entire next day?

Thanks to all, and sorry for raising this!

I use daily probiotics.  I have IBSD, so when the " urge" hits, I have to make a fast departure to the nearest restroom ( which I always find the location as I walking to the venue).  Dont be concerned about the tidiness of the public restrooms.  They keep them clean and they dont stink ( a bit musty, but not hold your nose stink).  You can always pop into a Family Restroom to use.   

• Like 1

I suffer from both, at times.  I found the Metamucil compounds to make it worse.  My gastro said to take FiberCon, two tabs a day, perhaps not at the same time, so I take one at noon and one at bedtime.  It is calcium polycarbophil, sold by Walmart as Fiber Therapy.  EM

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

have you tried introducing daily magnesium supplements? they do wonders for leg cramps and spasms, constipation and sleeplessness.

No, but I plan to start based on feedback from this forum....

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 2:19 PM, birdman518 said:

Thanks to both of you.  Sorry I should have made several things clear:  I eat a healthy diet of mostly home-cooked foods with lots of vegetables (and garlic).  I also take Metamucil and some Miralax daily.   I used to take a stool softener each day, and I drink a fair amount of water.   I have tried prune juice regularly.   It is probable that my constipation could be caused at least partly because I have neuropathy issues for my cervical and lumbar spine, and this can be related to constipation, as the nerves need to all work properly to move things through.

So my question is not about "constipation in general" as all of these ideas can be found online.  But on a cruise, where every day is planned, I would prefer not to be stuck on ship because I had to take a more drastic laxative which could take all day to work.   I was hoping for someone who might say they had the same issue...

I also take Miralax daily for a high fiber diet.  Constipation when traveling is common., people don't want to talk about it or haven't connected it to travel.  Happens to me all the time with any type of vacations.  There is something to losing "home field advantage" especially if you experience a "release" once back at home.  People mistake constipation and the accompanying nausea/discomfort as sea sickness.  I do take Magnesium 250 mg twice a day during vacations which helps.  Prunes and apples, not juice help and lots of water.  Sometimes I overcorrect and my system settles back into regularity and sometimes not until I get home. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I also take Miralax daily for a high fiber diet.  Constipation when traveling is common., people don't want to talk about it or haven't connected it to travel.  Happens to me all the time with any type of vacations.  There is something to losing "home field advantage" especially if you experience a "release" once back at home.  People mistake constipation and the accompanying nausea/discomfort as sea sickness.  I do take Magnesium 250 mg twice a day during vacations which helps.  Prunes and apples, not juice help and lots of water.  Sometimes I overcorrect and my system settles back into regularity and sometimes not until I get home. 

Thanks!   Which OTC magnesium supplement (and dosage) do you use?

20 minutes ago, birdman518 said:

Thanks!   Which OTC magnesium supplement (and dosage) do you use?

Any store brand Magnesium 250 mg.  Once in the morning and once at night.  If my abdomen is feeling really bloated, I take two in the morning.  I usually see results then quicker.  There is more relaxation in your room or in a fully enclosed bathroom.    Having strangers within hearing can subconsciously affect your body.  

10 hours ago, clo said:

I'm guessing you work from home. If not, how do you handle it when going about your regular outdoor routines?

I am retired.  Normally if I have to block out most of the day for a "solution" to work, it is not a problem, although it is still annoying.

A lot of this has to do with self-control, IMHO.

Although you're on vacation, try to eat the things you would normally eat and increase the amount of water you're taking in. If you're flying to the port- you should start drinking more water the day before you fly and continue throughout your vacation. No matter what you do, increasing water intake is a good thing.

As a last resort, increase fiber intake (veggies!) and consider adding a supplement like metamucil (which is just psyllium husk).

15 hours ago, notscb said:

A lot of this has to do with self-control, IMHO.

Although you're on vacation, try to eat the things you would normally eat and increase the amount of water you're taking in. If you're flying to the port- you should start drinking more water the day before you fly and continue throughout your vacation. No matter what you do, increasing water intake is a good thing.

As a last resort, increase fiber intake (veggies!) and consider adding a supplement like metamucil (which is just psyllium husk).

It isn't self control. The OP and myself included the information we use MiraLAX daily.  This is a high fiber supplement that does not cause gas/bloating like Metamucil.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

It isn't self control

But on vacation self-control goes a long way to not worsen problems we already have. Travel already causes issues, so if we can keep to our diets, not gorge ourselves at the buffet, avoid the extra slices of pizza at midnight and practice good habits that alone will go a long way.

I'm not invalidating yours or OP's experiences by promoting self-control while on vacation. I'm saying that self-control is a piece of the puzzle while on vacation where many folks tend to forget how important everyday choices are to their health.

1 hour ago, notscb said:

But on vacation self-control goes a long way to not worsen problems we already have. Travel already causes issues, so if we can keep to our diets, not gorge ourselves at the buffet, avoid the extra slices of pizza at midnight and practice good habits that alone will go a long way.

I'm not invalidating yours or OP's experiences by promoting self-control while on vacation. I'm saying that self-control is a piece of the puzzle while on vacation where many folks tend to forget how important everyday choices are to their health.

And it has nothing to do with this topic.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

And it has nothing to do with this topic.  

It'd be easier to say you disagree, but I am contributing to the conversation.

When folks are on vacation they tend to splurge in the diet department, which doesn't help and especially doesn't help when folks have chronic health issues. The change of diet on cruise ships is enough by itself to make things worse, so folks need to do what they can to control what they're taking in and not do the vacation splurge while onboard.

The "real"est overnight remedy is, in part, to maintain as close to your existing food intake as possible to not exacerbate the issue.

Edited by notscb

A friend with colitis uses this app in any unfamiliar area. I don’t know what ports you’ll be visiting and how well those ports will be mapped in the app, but you may want to download and take a look before going to see if it’s worthwhile. 
IMG_7824.thumb.png.6a6d92372cd23b9aeef47e3cf7e14696.png

Thanks to all for replying.  I have just been trying a Magnesium supplement tablet, with only 

a little (not enough IMO) success.

The whole issue is that I would prefer not to miss a whole day of my cruise/trip in the bathroom, which is what happens if I used either Dulcolax liquid or Magnesium citrate liquid.  Both work, but after 4 or 5 days of constipation, it takes a while.  

As I tried to indicate before, this is an ongoing problem that I believe has to do with my spine issues...  it is pretty common to read that nerve problems can be indicated for constipation, presumably because nerves work muscles, including the colon.

• Like 1