Carnival Corporation Orders 5th Excel-Class Ship

Carnival Corporation Orders an Additional Excel-Class Ship for Carnival Cruise Line, the Line's 5th Excel-Class Ship and the 11th Across the Global Fleet

https://www.carnival-news.com/2024/03/26/carnival-corporation-orders-an-additional-excel-class-ship-for-carnival-cruise-line-the-line-s-5th-excel-class-ship-and-the-11th-across-the-global-fleet

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I’m torn on how I feel about this. On the one hand, I LOVE the Excel class ships; they are my absolute favorite. On the other hand, was hoping to see a new design of Carnival ship out by 2028, and also, there are so few ports that the Excel class ships can go to due to size, I’m worried that the ports will become too repetitive.  

• Like 5

Now the question is where will the next two home port? I can't imagine they would go to SOCAL with all the parking issues they currently have. Another in Miami and another in PC? I don't think they will fit under the bridge to get to NYC, but that would be awesome!

1 minute ago, TravelBluebird said:

I’m worried that the ports will become too repetitive.

They already are!! There is only so many times I can go to Amber Cove and San Juan....

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Riles34 said:

Now the question is where will the next two home port? I can't imagine they would go to SOCAL with all the parking issues they currently have. Another in Miami and another in PC? I don't think they will fit under the bridge to get to NYC, but that would be awesome!

Yes, the home port question is also intriguing.  Would love to see some new home ports for the ships, but so many US ports are limited as to what size of ship can fit under a bridge or fit in a certain size of harbor, etc.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I guess no more smaller ships  - larger is what the people want 

I think its the food options and more fancy bars than the actual size. It would be hard to have all the food and beverage options from the Excel class on a smaller class ship, but it would be nice. I haven't been on a Conquest class ship in 8 years but can't imagine how bland it would be since sailing the Excel/Vista classes. I don't think you will see a new ship built smaller than the Vista class these days. Not on a major cruise line anyways.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Riles34 said:

They already are!! There is only so many times I can go to Amber Cove and San Juan....

All I know is that after winter reared its head again here in Vermont I could do with either right now. Have to wait 25 days though.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Riles34 said:

I don't think they will fit under the bridge to get to NYC, but that would be awesome!

Mardi Gras was scheduled to do a few cruises out of NYC: https://thepointsguy.com/news/carnival-mardi-gras-itineraries/ . That never happened due to the ship construction delays and what happen to the world back in the day 

I am soo looking forward to getting a excel class ship out of NYC. hopefully it actually happens in the future

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I’m torn on how I feel about this. On the one hand, I LOVE the Excel class ships; they are my absolute favorite. On the other hand, was hoping to see a new design of Carnival ship out by 2028, and also, there are so few ports that the Excel class ships can go to due to size, I’m worried that the ports will become too repetitive.  

HMC is getting a pier, Celebration Key is coming soon, more ports will extend their piers or deepen their harbors if they want to welcome these large ships.

• Like 1

I guess now we see why they announced that Celebration Key will be getting an additional dock to house up to 4 Excel-class ships at once. 

The press release says Carnival Corporation will add one to two ships per year starting in 2027, so if demand for Carnival keeps up (compared to Princess, Aida, etc), we might see even more in the future.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Oh wow, I wonder why it wasn’t ordered jointly with #4, regardless that’s pretty exciting. 

Most likely to increase stock prices. The press release is all about revenue optimization and operational aspects, not a marketing release really. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Can we just name these two new builds the Holiday and Festival?

I'd say there's a decent chance of Holiday and Festivale being used. I'd even throw Tropicale into the mix as well. I doubt Carnivale ever gets used again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Oh wow, I wonder why it wasn’t ordered jointly with #4, regardless that’s pretty exciting. 

Carnival tends to stretch these out and get the most mileage they can from twigs like this.

• Like 1

Would love to have one on the West Coast, but with Cabo being the most popular stop, I don’t see how it would happen. I have been on all 3 excel ships. They are easily my favorite but I’m so over the ports. We haven’t even gotten off the ship the past few times on half. 

• Like 2

My guess is that NOLA will get Mardi Gras or Vista,  while Valor or Glory goes to Mobile full time, Spirit goes to San Juan part time.  Magic moves to Ft Lauderdale, and New ship takes it's place.

\As for names I'm guessing Holiday, and Festaval.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, longhorn2004 said:

What about the larger Carnival cruise ship that was rumored?

Personally I think we’re not close to anything like that. I think they will Sunshine the spirit class ships first. Carnival’s ability to serve so many ports is a brand differentiator and bigger ships will take that away.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jedi bobs said:

My guess is that NOLA will get Mardi Gras or Vista,  while Valor or Glory goes to Mobile full time, Spirit goes to San Juan part time.  Magic moves to Ft Lauderdale, and New ship takes it's place.

\As for names I'm guessing Holiday, and Festaval.

Magic or Vista would probably be bumped to NOLA, Mardi Gras or Celebration would probably move to a shorter run 3/4 day (I would think).

If they toy with bringing one up to NYC for a summer season, that bumps Venezia else where. 

11 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Personally I think we’re not close to anything like that. I think they will Sunshine the spirit class ships first. Carnival’s ability to serve so many ports is a brand differentiator and bigger ships will take that away.

Wouldn’t that have taken place by now? All 4 are getting lengthy dry docks, with them rotating to Europe. They are past the age, the Destiny/Triumph Class got their respective makeovers. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, longhorn2004 said:

What about the larger Carnival cruise ship that was rumored?

2 hours ago, longhorn2004 said:

What about the next gen larger ship?

The rumor was 2029 so the large ship could still be in the works. Carnival did say that there would most likely be a ship a year starting in 2027

Edited by CarnivalShips480