Going Live on Scenic "Chef's Culinary Adventure of Belgium and the Netherlands with Lynn Crawford and Lora Kirk"

1of4

That last photo: if I remember correctly the flower market lines the canal the other side of that tower.

On your canal photos 6 & 7 from the top there is a low rail at the waters edge. Our guide told us that they had been paid for by  insurance companies who realised just how much money they were paying out for cars that ended up in the canal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Oooh, fabric !

DH agrees!  But if he wanted to go to menswear shop then…fair is fair!

IMG_0422.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg

IMG_0429.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pontac said:

That last photo: if I remember correctly the flower market lines the canal the other side of that tower.

On your canal photos 6 & 7 from the top there is a low rail at the waters edge. Our guide told us that they had been paid for by  insurance companies who realised just how much money they were paying out for cars that ended up in the canal.

Yes you are correct, the floating flower market is on the canal next to the tower. Our canal cruise captain told us to avoid that flower market though as you are as likely to get a bag of onions in place of bulbs!  Not sure about that, but that’s what he said. 

I see the rail but honestly hadn’t noticed it as not all canals have it. I wonder why?  There seems to be a lot of things going into the canals either intentionally or not 😂 he said few people drown nowadays but it does still happen. Most recently were 3 males in their late teens and very early 20s. Given those public urinals are all at corners of bridges right beside the canals I can see one reason 🤷🏻‍♀️

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Fabric:  so for your next river cruise, I suggest the Rhône – and be sure to plan extra time in Lyon to visit the silk ateliers!

I like how you think!

Don’t mention that anywhere near the hearing of my DH on our last Scenic Rhône cruise we had an afternoon on board with one of the last two French Silk Ateliers hence this

image.thumb.jpeg.349c72c5232dd1d7374c2834c6f6c9f0.jpeg

Sorry if this is copied as I seem to have lost the start, this was an afternoon in Lyon on board our Scenic cruise it ticked every box, fabric, silk, scarves, Jean Cocteau but also hit DH’s pocket, well he did say choose a scarf (I love them) it was one of the last two silk ateliers in France or so they said, beautiful designs and superb fabric. DH blames my mum who unlike myself was tiny and elegant and before WW2 trained  with Hartnell one of the top London fashion houses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1of4 said:

DH agrees!  But if he wanted to go to menswear shop then…fair is fair!

IMG_0422.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg

IMG_0429.jpeg

Wow, my DW would probably spend so much time with that fabric that we'd miss the ship unless I literally dragged her back on. She is a retired art teacher and very much into quilting these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Wow, my DW would probably spend so much time with that fabric that we'd miss the ship unless I literally dragged her back on. She is a retired art teacher and very much into quilting these days.

I quilt and make bags, purses, totes, etc. Fabric is always my souvenir of choice. 

• Like 3

We walked from the hotel to the boat in about 10 minutes. Arrived just after 11:00. So much different than arriving on a big coach!  I had forgotten how attentive the crew are; they nearly trip over themselves to serve no matter if that is in the lounge, restaurant, room attendant. I told DH he has to start referring to me as “my lady” 😂 

We left our luggage and carryons with one of two Scenic reps in the hotel.  We arrived before the luggage so we sat and had a drink then lunch.  I just attended a Stroopwafle demonstration. I need to be in the dining room for 5:30 to discuss Mr dietary restrictions with the chef and the restaurant/bar manager. 

IMG_0431.jpeg

IMG_0433.jpeg

IMG_0434.jpeg

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_0437.jpeg

IMG_0438.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0443.jpeg

IMG_0445.jpeg

IMG_0447.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0450.jpeg

IMG_0451.jpeg

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_1013.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Wow - Page 4 before we board the boat!

Talking of boats, I see a Viking boat in your photo but on my recent cruise Ams>Ams I never saw a Scenic boat. I saw Saga, Amadeus, Uniworld, Plantours and several other Viking boats, but no Scenic.

My next cruise will be with Scenic. They  promise 'Ultra Luxury' but that's not what I think of when I see squeezy dispensers fixed to the wall by the washbasin and in shower, as per your photo. I think budget hotel.

Interesting the safe is at waist height on your boat, a complaint I had of the Scenic Diamond is that it was at floor level.

Edited by pontac

Ohhhhhh I wish I was there. 
Yes anything that involves needles, thread, yarn, fabric of all types and styles is my Nivarna. I’ve quilted all my life but didn’t realise how strong it was in the USA until we went to a Rodeo where the two quilting halls were amazing, it was in San Antonio, where I also fell for Alan Jackson.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

I quilt and make bags, purses, totes, etc. Fabric is always my souvenir of choice. 

She used to make stuffed animals and sell then at craft fairs. (Really as a hobby, not to make money) Her stuffed cows always sold out, but she would be bored with making cows and make other animals that did not sell as well.

One time in a fabric store while she was look for material to "clothe" a cow, I asked what color she was looking for. I pointed out a material, and she sternly said to me. "Do you think a cow would really wear that?". 🤦‍♂️🤣

Edited by ontheweb
spelling correction
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, pontac said:

Wow - Page 4 before we board the boat!

Talking of boats, I see a Viking boat in your photo but on my recent cruise Ams>Ams I never saw a Scenic boat. I saw Saga, Amadeus, Uniworld, Plantours and several other Viking boats, but no Scenic.

My next cruise will be with Scenic. They  promise 'Ultra Luxury' but that's not what I think of when I see squeezy dispensers fixed to the wall by the washbasin and in shower, as per your photo. I think budget hotel.

Interesting the safe is at waist height on your boat, a complaint I had of the Scenic Diamond is that it was at floor level.

We had to cross through the Scenic Jewel to get to the Jade. They are going Amsterdam to Basel. 

Unfortunately, all places seem to have done away with individual toiletries. We stayed at a Ritz Carleton recently and even they had the multi-use bottles. In 2019 we had individual soaps, shampoo, conditioner and body wash but they told us back then they would be getting rid of them for environmental reasons. 

Thank goodness the safe isn’t on the floor as I couldn’t use it then!

Edited by 1of4

26 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Thank goodness the safe isn’t on the floor as I couldn’t use it then!

It doesn't help accessing it, but I have learned to take a photo of the instructions (when they are on the front of the safe) when the safe is low down. At least I don't have to bend down to read it, just to enter the code and put in or take out my stuff.

But I must admit, it is much more comfortable when the safe is at a convenient height.

• Like 1

Just now, gnome12 said:

It doesn't help accessing it, but I have learned to take a photo of the instructions (when they are on the front of the safe) when the safe is low down. At least I don't have to bend down to read it, just to enter the code and put in or take out my stuff.

But I must admit, it is much more comfortable when the safe is at a convenient height.

The safe at the Hilton Doubletree Centraal Station was over my head!

• Haha 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Going Live on Scenic "Chef's Culinary Adventure of Belgium and the Netherlands with Lynn Crawford and Lora Kirk"

Sorry if I missed it Gail, but are the services you are offered by your steward/bulter standard on Scenic.  Do they call every room a suite or did you book a special category to obtain this?

It sounds lovely.  Very impressed on how they approached the dietary requirements 👍 

The chairs with the 3 legs are in the lounge?  Are they comfortable?  It nearly looks like they could tip like the old office chairs.

Sounds like you are off to a terrific start 👍 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

The chairs with the 3 legs are in the lounge?  Are they comfortable?  It nearly looks like they could tip like the old office chairs.

That chair clearly has a 4th leg that is hidden by the upholstery – the 3 you can see only cover 180 degrees, so the chair would have tipped over already!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry if I missed it Gail, but are the services you are offered by your steward/bulter standard on Scenic.  Do they call every room a suite or did you book a special category to obtain this?

It sounds lovely.  Very impressed on how they approached the dietary requirements 👍 

Sounds like you are off to a terrific start 👍 

You didn’t miss anything Jacqui. I do believe they refer to all cabins as suites but we booked a junior suite that is above the standard and balcony suites but below the royal and panorama suites. So we get a few more amenities than the two lower suites like the complementary pressing of two garments a day, the afternoon delivery of canapés and the wine pairing dinner with the captain. In suite dining is available to balcony suites too.

Host Jazzbeau is correct, the photo doesn’t show the fourth leg. Those chairs are almost too comfortable, as is all the furniture in the lounge. There is also a variety of seating so you can find something to suit your taste: low and slouchy, swivel club chairs, and higher chairs that don’t make sore knees bend. 

they made me a separate dessert tonight- a chocolate hazelnut cake!  Very impressed. 

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

You didn’t miss anything Jacqui. I do believe they refer to all cabins as suites but we booked a junior suite that is above the standard and balcony suites but below the royal and panorama suites. So we get a few more amenities than the two lower suites like the complementary pressing of two garments a day, the afternoon delivery of canapés and the wine pairing dinner with the captain. In suite dining is available to balcony suites too.

Host Jazzbeau is correct, the photo doesn’t show the fourth leg. Those chairs are almost too comfortable, as is all the furniture in the lounge. There is also a variety of seating so you can find something to suit your taste: low and slouchy, swivel club chairs, and higher chairs that don’t make sore knees bend. 

thank you Gail.  I’m learning 😉 

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

they made me a separate dessert tonight- a chocolate hazelnut cake!  Very impressed. 

Me too.  It sounds delicious 🙂 

• Like 1

Really enjoying following along.  Thanks for clarifying that you are in a Junior Suite.  I was wondering if those amenities were available to all categories.  

A quick question regarding the folding balcony doors.  I understand that the balconies have a window that you can put down and create your balcony or leave up if you choose.  Can you leave the glass folding doors open all the time so the balcony area becomes part of the cabin?  I'm trying to determine what purpose the folding glass doors serve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Really enjoying following along.  Thanks for clarifying that you are in a Junior Suite.  I was wondering if those amenities were available to all categories.  

A quick question regarding the folding balcony doors.  I understand that the balconies have a window that you can put down and create your balcony or leave up if you choose.  Can you leave the glass folding doors open all the time so the balcony area becomes part of the cabin?  I'm trying to determine what purpose the folding glass doors serve.

The “balcony” has a two window “railing”, the top half can slide down to cover the lower half. When that window is open the thermostat in the room will not operate. There are two buttons inside on the wall which operates the top glass.

the balcony is separated from the cabin by a sliding glass partition, in our cabin it is 4 pieces of sliding glass. We have it half closed at night to keep the cooler night air away from the bed. But in daytime we open it right up along with the opaque and blackout curtains to have more room in the cabin. In 2019 we were sailing in August so we never shut that glass partition. They suggest that you always close at least the opaque curtain because most sailing to new locations is done at night so you never know where you will be in the morning and if there will be a clear view into your cabin. 

We are docked for our second day but if we were on the port side we would either be along another bot or the riverbank which may have people walking right beside. 

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1021.jpeg

IMG_1018.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The chefs are here!  They will host a cheese tasting this afternoon. We had a choice between 4 excursions this morning, all returning to the boat by 1:00 for lunch. 

yesterday I attended a Stroopwafel demonstration. This decadent delight is a Dutch delicacy that has a caramel like sauce between two layers of waffle. 

95244DF6-737A-4C68-8C74-B02EBAECE42A.jpeg

740D8BE9-A959-4602-9299-A360A6B6B40C.jpeg

279170A5-14AC-4D17-A4BA-F91964E6BFD9.jpeg

8ED7A43F-8FC4-4E59-ACE7-D39A5A354B82.jpeg

A7A4F4F2-C2EE-4610-A882-62211DEBCA37.jpeg

E083D61E-BE2F-4529-991E-8A6FCB695315.jpeg

4E223C74-520C-4BEC-87A1-73EC2CF259CC.jpeg

C32A8DCC-4C42-4354-A925-0FB8FCC90BA8.jpeg

117B9820-8664-4615-84F7-098AE8E428EE.jpeg

8805F939-092D-446B-BC91-0BF4E49B497D.jpeg

BF650A6B-CA91-49A4-8733-4DD9F756B146.jpeg

9F172159-D639-4D2D-A338-4CBB85B3C622.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes you can leave the doors to the balcony folded back quite convenient actually and if for any reason you have a challenge moving them just call your butler, he/she might not arrive tout suite but someone will. 
Pontac I actually challenged Scenic about the change of presentation of bathroom soaps and shampoos and yes it’s towards using less plastic etc but then did my own research, see it pays being an archivist (research, research, research,) I quite like L’Occitane as a brand although in the higher price bracket wherever you are but ESPA in the U.K. is even more so, although apart from that I do agree with the less use of plastic whether it be 1 star or 5 star.

• Like 2