Apple iPads on board

Mike981

Doing a search I found there are many references to "Apple"; apple pear, apple pie, apple iPhone...But not what was looking for.

I remember after the Covid break many folks were saying that the Apple products for sale on board were rather outdated, have you seen any updating? We are sailing on Constellation next January and I am just trying to figure out the best use of our OBC.

Thank you~

• Thanks 1

I think it's the luck of the draw and how fast the inventory is moving on a particular ship.  I have purchased two iPads in the past with OBC (back in the day when we got OBC!) and have been happy with the purchases.  My current one is an iPad Pro which I got for $100 off.  I don't need my iPad to be the latest and greatest, I just need to be able to read books on it when I want to.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I think it's the luck of the draw and how fast the inventory is moving on a particular ship.  I have purchased two iPads in the past with OBC (back in the day when we got OBC!) and have been happy with the purchases.  My current one is an iPad Pro which I got for $100 off.  I don't need my iPad to be the latest and greatest, I just need to be able to read books on it when I want to.

I have an iPad Pro , I do everything on it 

I havent opened my laptop in about a year now , I am not sure I will buy another laptop 

4 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I have an iPad Pro, and I'll never buy another one. Everybody has their own preferences. I agree about ditching the laptop though. I got rid of mine.

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I havent opened my laptop in about a year now , I am not sure I will buy another laptop 

I am on my laptop now (MacBook Air) but usually I am on an  iPad Pro. There are many things I prefer to do though on my laptop. Like my taxes with Turbotax. My brokerage accounts. 

7 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Same here.  It hadn’t occurred to me to use OBC to buy electronics but it’s a good idea. 

I wasn't impressed by the Apple reseller on my post Covid Celebrity sailings (2022 & 2023), it used to be better in my experience. Perhaps the market is either moving too fast for their inventory or who knows?

Back in the days when duty free airport shopping was a real thing, buying i.e. a discman cheaper than main street prices, perhaps a bit similar? :classic_smile:

It really is luck of the draw as to the inventory. For example, last month on Constellation, the only Apple product they had were Macbook Airs. I've bought Airpods, Ipads, and Apple watches on board before but you never know what they will have. I too use my OBC for the purchases because in some cases they were older models, but since I'm not using "my money" it didn't matter to me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, omahabob said:

I have an iPad Pro, and I'll never buy another one. Everybody has their own preferences. I agree about ditching the laptop though. I got rid of mine.

Just wondering what you use instead of an iPad or laptop as I also use an iPad Pro for everything except doing my taxes and playing with large spreadsheets. I love the facial recognition feature the most over other iPads. It is with me at all times sitting in the house. I find my Iphone screen too small for most experiences I use the iPad for. 

11 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

Was on the Silhouette in Feb all set to buy an iPad with my OBC. Unfortunately they had none in stock  on my sailing and I was disappointed. It’s not like a normal Apple Store. 

It is not an Apple Store. They are an authorized reseller. Like Amazon and Best Buy, Target. That does mean that the Apple warranties are good.  

25 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

Just wondering what you use instead of an iPad or laptop as I also use an iPad Pro for everything except doing my taxes and playing with large spreadsheets. I love the facial recognition feature the most over other iPads. It is with me at all times sitting in the house. I find my Iphone screen too small for most experiences I use the iPad for. 

I still use the iPad some, but I mostly use my Tab A7. I have a background in IT, and I like to customize my devices to run the way I want. Can't do that with an Apple, unfortunately. Though they have definite advantages, I'm fond of saying you don't own an Apple device, you only rent it. Apple controls how it works, not you. But as I said, everyone has their own preferences. People tend to gravitate mostly toward what they had first, because it's comforting to them. That applies to computers, tablets and phones.

• Like 1

I don’t need the newest iPad, so if older models are sold for the first time I do expect some discount. But what I read about shipboard purchases of Apple equipment stated that there might not be much (if any) warranty left. According to what I’ve read, Apple’s time limit on warranties begins when the store receives the item — not when the consumer buys the item. I don’t know if any of this is true, but it is the story that’s been going around

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I don’t need the newest iPad, so if older models are sold for the first time I do expect some discount. But what I read about shipboard purchases of Apple equipment stated that there might not be much (if any) warranty left. According to what I’ve read, Apple’s time limit on warranties begins when the store receives the item — not when the consumer buys the item. I don’t know if any of this is true, but it is the story that’s been going around

My experience (see prior post) is the warranty begins with purchase, just like any other authorized reseller. I've put this to the test once when one of the Airpods stopped working and Apple gave me a new one because it was still under warranty from the day I bought them. 

Edited by dcbiker97

12 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

If the reseller is authorized like Celebrity the warranty is from the date of sale to you not when the store receives it. Keep the receipt. You won’t usually get a discount from buying onboard even older models. Really the only reason to buy onboard is to use OBC or to save on taxes. If you are in the US you can often get discounts from Best Buy or Amazon on the latest models that are better than the prices onboard Celebrity. 

Hi Jim, no need to check models on your busy vacation.

I was just wondering if products had turned over yet. When we purchased one back in 2020 on the Reflection they had a decent offering of iPads not the latest, but we were fine with what they had to offer.

I guess we will just wait until we board and see what they have for us.

Thank you all for your help.

On 4/10/2024 at 10:14 AM, Mike981 said:

Doing a search I found there are many references to "Apple"; apple pear, apple pie, apple iPhone...But not what was looking for.

I remember after the Covid break many folks were saying that the Apple products for sale on board were rather outdated, have you seen any updating? We are sailing on Constellation next January and I am just trying to figure out the best use of our OBC.

Thank you~

You will unfortunately not know what is being offered until after you board.  From our past experience likely to have at least one generation old on board.  Would plan on using OBC elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On the Beyond, they had the latest and the previous  generation of MacBooks and iPads.  On the Ascent, they had no iPads but had the latest  MacBooks.  They were out of MacBooks when we boarded but received them at one of our ports-Cozumel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, omahabob said:

I still use the iPad some, but I mostly use my Tab A7. I have a background in IT, and I like to customize my devices to run the way I want. Can't do that with an Apple, unfortunately. Though they have definite advantages, I'm fond of saying you don't own an Apple device, you only rent it. Apple controls how it works, not you. But as I said, everyone has their own preferences. People tend to gravitate mostly toward what they had first, because it's comforting to them. That applies to computers, tablets and phones.

I worked in IT supporting Windows and Linux and had several Android phones.  I’ve always had Windows laptops.  Two years ago we switched to iPhones and didn’t look back.  I use my iPad 9.7 often and my iPad Pro 10.5 even more because of the better screen.  I don’t use my Kindle as much.  I watch HD movies on my 6.7” iPhone screen all the time.  I’ve tried a few movies on the iPad Pro.

19 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

only Apple product they had were Macbook Airs

I bought one on Silhouette in October, but wish I’d paid more to get the bigger one, I find it difficult to see the screen, so use my iPad more frequently.