Questions from a first time Holland America cruiser

This will be my first time on Holland America, specifically on Rotterdam.

1. I am confused about the availability of self serve drinks on Lido, I have read about disappointment in the length of time getting a beverage with your meal, I am hoping that there is availability of self serve. I bring my own thermal glass to drink water, juice and lemonade. 

2. I always avoid Lido for embarkation lunch. Will other venues on Rotterdam be open for lunch on that day? We do have Club Orange, but I think that dining room is only open for breakfast and dinner?

3. I read that I cannot bring cans of soda on board. But in looking at what I can preorder for my stateroom, every beverage except soda can be pre ordered. My cruise is a year out, maybe they will add this option at a later date? I did not purchase the Have it all package, we are not heavy drinkers. I drink mostly water, maybe one can of soda, maybe one alcoholic drink per day. My husband likes one maybe two beers a day. So it did not seem to be a good value for us. 

Depending on the meal, various drinks are self serve in the Lido. Water, coffee, tea, is always available, 24/7. Various drinks (milk, juices, etc) at breakfast.

Rotterdam has several restaurants...the Dive In, the Deli, a couple others. Club Orange is only for breakfast and dinner.

I don't see HAL adding the ability to order 6packs of soft drinks, for example. But you never know. There are things like the Quench package for your needs.

Posted (edited)

I am just off the Rotterdam in March.  I did not have any issue waiting for coffee, water, tea or lemonade in the Lido for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  We ate a few times in the dining room and, again, I haver had an issue waiting for my wine to be delivered.

There are bars you can walk up and order a drink at various places throughout the ship, which you can take with you, I found myself doing that a few times, just because I was there and figured I'd get it.

We had the Have it All Package, I would get a few cans of soda or water's for my cabin, so I had them readily available.

Don't sweat the small stuff, it all works out, go and enjoy the Rotterdam, she's a beautiful ship with an amazing crew, she's one of my favorites.

Edited by doone
  • Like 1

I bought 6 packs of tonic at several bars.  Just make sure they don’t give you diet by mistake.   It was about $20.00 per pack.   they were the small cans. Ridiculous.  

Will also be a first time HAL cruiser in September.

Can anyone say if its ok to fill your water  bottles in the buffet area for taking to your room ?

Is there a burger/hotdog/Grill for included snacks on the sundeck like on Celebrity ships?

I never had a problem getting a drink in the Lido on numerous HAL cruises.  Lido has a bar as well which you can walk up to and order.

Soda/pop on HAL are mostly Coke products.  It’s been that way for as long as I can remember.

• Like 1

Just now, hobgoblin said:

Can anyone say if its ok to fill your water  bottles in the buffet area for taking to your room ?

Is there a burger/hotdog/Grill for included snacks on the sundeck like on Celebrity ships?

yes you can fill your water bottle.  You will see the machines on the wall of the Lido.  You can hold your bottle down so the lip does not touch the spout.

The Dive In is a popular burger/hot dog place.  It’s on every HAL ship - location varies depending on the ship but usually close to the Sea view Pool (the aft pool)

1 hour ago, highscar said:

I bought 6 packs of tonic at several bars.  Just make sure they don’t give you diet by mistake.   It was about $20.00 per pack.   they were the small cans. Ridiculous.  

If you wait until happy hour you can purchase cans of soda for half the regular price. The same applies to beer. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

yes you can fill your water bottle.  You will see the machines on the wall of the Lido.  You can hold your bottle down so the lip does not touch the spout.

The Dive In is a popular burger/hot dog place.  It’s on every HAL ship - location varies depending on the ship but usually close to the Sea view Pool (the aft pool)

Slight correction: the Dive In is usually near the Lido interior pool. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dfilpus said:

Slight correction: the Dive In is usually near the Lido interior pool. 

I think you are right.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, Astromaid said:

1. I am confused about the availability of self serve drinks on Lido.monade. 

2. Will other venues on Rotterdam be open for lunch on that day? W

3. I read that I cannot bring cans of soda on board.

1.  The Lido Market Buffet has serving stations with pitchers of water, iced tea, and lemonade throughout the seating area.  You can walk a few feet with your empty glass/tumbler and fill it during lunch/dinner if a server does not appear quick enough to ask what  beverage you would like. The stations are in operation for breakfast coffee and orange juice.  At each end of the Lido, there are milk, coffee (regular and decaf), and hot water dispensers (tea and hot chocolate).  The indoor pool area has similar self-serve beverage serving stations (water, tea, and lemonade) if a server does not appear quick enough to take your order.

2.  The free Dive-in is located next to the indoor pool with a podium to take orders and beepers to call you when your order is ready.  Current Dive-In MenuThe free NY Deli & Pizza on the balcony overlooking the indoor pool is open during lunch:  Current NY Deli & Pizza.  The mostly free Grand Dutch Cafe on Deck 2 aft is also open for lunch:  Current Grand Dutch Cafe Menu.

3.  Your Room Steward can empty your minibar and stock it with available beverages or you can obtain the beverages of your choice from any bar.

Enjoy our cruise planning and feel free to ask lots of questions to help in your planning.

The burgers at Dive-In are really good, better than most cruise line burgers.  The hot dogs are also good.  People I know rave about the fries.  I don't think you will be disappointed doing lunch there.

• Like 5

Correction regarding filling your water bottle. Yes you can do it but you have to first fill a mug and then pour it into your bottle.  I was just on the Rotterdam and I asked if I could fill my thermos directly because I do not drink from it and the staff said no, that you must use a mug. There are lots of staff to pour you water or lemonade at your table. The Lido is so big on this ship that is never really gets crowded. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Astromaid said:

I always avoid Lido for embarkation lunch.

We boarded Rotterdam's sister Koningsdam on 29 December 2022 -- a full-ship New Year's Eve cruise. We went to the Lido for lunch and were pleasantly surprised at the lack of chaos!

The chaos was open-seating at MDR for dinner! People sitting and standing all down the hall with pagers. We ate all meals at the Lido for our 16-day B2B, excepting HIA-included Pinnacle Grill dinners and HIA plus additional dinners at Tamarind and Canaletto

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kay S said:

The burgers at Dive-In are really good, better than most cruise line burgers.  The hot dogs are also good.  People I know rave about the fries.  I don't think you will be disappointed doing lunch there.

I had an issue with the one (& only) bratwurst I ordered - it wasn 't even warm in the middle!  It was gross!!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Astromaid said:

1. I am confused about the availability of self serve drinks on Lido, I have read about disappointment in the length of time getting a beverage with your meal, I am hoping that there is availability of self serve. I bring my own thermal glass to drink water, juice and lemonade. 

2. I always avoid Lido for embarkation lunch. Will other venues on Rotterdam be open for lunch on that day? We do have Club Orange, but I think that dining room is only open for breakfast and dinner?

3. I read that I cannot bring cans of soda on board. But in looking at what I can preorder for my stateroom, every beverage except soda can be pre ordered. My cruise is a year out, maybe they will add this option at a later date? I did not purchase the Have it all package, we are not heavy drinkers. I drink mostly water, maybe one can of soda, maybe one alcoholic drink per day. My husband likes one maybe two beers a day. So it did not seem to be a good value for us. 

We purchased our sodas and drinks during happy hour.  We purchase extra sodas during happy hour to bring back to our cabin.

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

I had an issue with the one (& only) bratwurst I ordered - it wasn 't even warm in the middle!  It was gross!!

Sometimes I guess it's a miss.  I've eaten at Dive-In multiple times and been happy with it.  I must admit, though, I never ordered a bratwurst.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, hobgoblin said:

The Dive Grill serves a good variety of hamburgers and sausages.  The menu is creative and well executed.  All food is made to order.

The Celebrity grill was disappointing in that the hamburgers are made well in advance and the staff on the Millennium could not cook French fries properly.

I have been on two HAL cruises and never had problems eating at the Lido on Embarkation day.  

Edited by jlawrence01
  • Like 2

I found the Dive Inn chicken sandwiches to be good too.  I always had the burgers and hot dogs before and just tried the chicken sandwiches on my last cruise.  

~Nancy

I can't say if any food is good or bad. It's simply a matter of if I like it or not. I am married to a man who will eat anything that doesn't eat him first, so he thinks everything is wonderful. I don't.

• Haha 4

Can I ask another couple of questions!

Is there a self service laundry on Niew Statendam ?

Can you access your bill on the cabin TV like I could on the Celebrity ships?

4 minutes ago, hobgoblin said:

Can I ask another couple of questions!

Is there a self service laundry on Niew Statendam ?

Can you access your bill on the cabin TV like I could on the Celebrity ships?

No self service laundry on any HAL ship, but an excellent laundry service that is very reasonably priced.  

Onboard bill is viewable on TV or Navigator App

• Like 1