Princess upgrades

On 4/28/2024 at 8:09 AM, aussielozzie18 said:

Mini-suite  appeals for the extra space and sofa bed and bigger balcony but I don’t want to risk bidding because I believe there are obstructed minis on the Grand and I don’t want to risk an obstructed view in Alaska.

Hi, I've just done some research on the Grand Princess (too much time on my hands).  It doesn't have a "sea walk" so there's no obstruction from that for their mini suites. Mini suites are towards the back of Emerald deck, away from the lifeboats, and along both sides of the whole of Dolphin deck - I can't see any obstructions for any of them.

If your friends have a cabin number, they may be interested in this site that I came across, showing actual photos of the views from obstructed window cabins on Grand Princess -

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/ov.php?ship=Grand-Princess&cabins=E209-E231

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 1:24 PM, MicCanberra said:

We have been visited by the upgrade fairy many many years ago, however I think Covid killed it.

As I understand it, the Upgrade Fairy was superseded by the Upsell Fairy

• Like 5

I couldn't see any obstructed mini-suites either. If anything there might be a view of the one edge of the top of one of the tenders if looking straight down the side of the ship but that's not really what counts as obstructed.

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

As I understand it, the Upgrade Fairy was superseded by the Upsell Fairy

Yep, the upgrade fairy is now endangered, and it's habitat is greatly reduced.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Being hunted down and killed off by the Almighty Dollar! 😟

• Like 2

At the moment the cruise lines need every dollar they can reasonably get to help offset the cost of the pandemic. 

Note: I do not include outrageous (1000%+) mark-ups on wines as reasonable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't believe in fairies, unless one happened to whack about the head with its wand.😨

On 4/21/2024 at 3:06 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

The chair I was referring to was the tub chair that used to be inside the cabin, not the deckchairs on the balcony. Princess removed the tub chairs in 2018 or 2019 I think. There was a fair amount of outrage at the time. It makes it difficult if you want to have breakfast in your cabin as one person now has to sit on the bed since there is only a desk chair. Also it's hard for some older people, or those who have back problems, where sitting on the bed is too uncomfortable. 

Makes me appreciate the HAL sofas even more.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Makes me appreciate the HAL sofas even more.

The sofas on P&O and RCL aren't bad either, though RCL's are a little firmer. Have been known to take a nap on both whilst allegedly reading a book.😴

• Like 1

Princess cabins aren't the best of the mass market lines, especially since they removed those chairs from the balcony cabins. However I think they have some of the best storage, especially for clothes in that walk-in wardrobe area, but not in the bathrooms - I really liked Celebrity Solstice for bathroom storage as everything except what you left on the counter was in drawers or in a narrow cupboard which seemed much more secure in high seas.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess cabins aren't the best of the mass market lines, especially since they removed those chairs from the balcony cabins. However I think they have some of the best storage, especially for clothes in that walk-in wardrobe area, but not in the bathrooms - I really liked Celebrity Solstice for bathroom storage as everything except what you left on the counter was in drawers or in a narrow cupboard which seemed much more secure in high seas.

Worst bathroom has to be the shower in the balcony cabins on the Coral Princess, actually a mini shower as far as we are concerned.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Worst bathroom has to be the shower in the balcony cabins on the Coral Princess, actually a mini shower as far as we are concerned.

Yes, that one is shockingly small but the one that was on the old Golden Princess, although a tad larger, was actually worse due to the placement of taps, dispenser bottles and the grab handle. It was difficult to wash without banging an elbow on something. At least the Coral shower had better placement of those items so my elbows remained unscathed. 

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that one is shockingly small but the one that was on the old Golden Princess, although a tad larger, was actually worse due to the placement of taps, dispenser bottles and the grab handle. It was difficult to wash without banging an elbow on something. At least the Coral shower had better placement of those items so my elbows remained unscathed. 

Do you have balcony cabin or mini suite on Coral, Julie.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Do you have balcony cabin or mini suite on Coral, Julie.

We put on a lowish bid for an upgrade to a mini-suite and were lucky. 😊

Just as well - we've got far too much stuff with us. 

We've just had a coffee in Good Spirits, they've got nice new chairs there.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We put on a lowish bid for an upgrade to a mini-suite and were lucky. 😊

Just as well - we've got far too much stuff with us. 

We've just had a coffee in Good Spirits, they've got nice new chairs there.

Enjoy your mini suite Julie and Rolf.  Enjoy the adventure and treasure the memories. Life is short.

• Like 4