The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday April 16th, 2024

kazu

Today is Emancipation Day, Foursquare Day, and National Bean Counter Day

We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.--Veronica Roth, Divergent

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken & Cauliflower-Rice Casserole
Drink of the Day - Vodka Collins
Wine of the Day - La Rioja Alta Vina Alberdi Reserva 
Destination of the Day - Whitehorse, Yukon

Today in History:
1929 New York Yankees become first MLB team to permanently feature numbers on backs of uniforms

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Cartagena Colombia 07:00 - 13:00 

Koningsdam

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island 08:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera eta 04-17

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Cobh, Ireland eta 04-17

Oosterdam

Malaga, Spain Granada 08:00 - 18:00 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island Azores Portugal eta 04-20

Volendam

Panama Canal 00:00 - 23:59 

Zaandam

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 1100-1900

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Cape Town, South Africa eta 4/15

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 04-20

Westerdam

Hakata-Fukuoka City, Japan Fukuoka 08:00 - 16:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 24

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL in hospice care

Passing of Atexsix's (Bruno's) Dear Dad

Passing of puppycanducruise’s friend Amy at 46

Passing of Mr. Boston’s friend Lauren 4/15

Rotterdam crew member who went overboard and another medically disembarked

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, on maximal oxygen

StLouisCruisers’ twin Linda recovering from rotator cuff surgery

LambKnuckles with bronchitis and fatigue

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Quartzsite Cruiser’s DH getting good report and shunt valve adjustment

Cruzin Terri having a beneficial meeting with the Dementia Practitioner

Kochleffel’s excellent feedback on his presentation

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Kazu (Volendam Apr 21 to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast

5 days for VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam Apr 21 to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure

6 days for Summer slope (Disney Wish Apr 22 to Apr 26) 4d Bahamian cruised with DGS & his parents

Vict0riann (Nieuw Statendam to Apr 21) 14d Bermuda, Brittany & The English Channel Expedition, LAFFNVEGAS (Norwegian Joy to Apr 21) 7d Bermuda from NY, Lobsternight (Koningsdam to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse & Circle Hawaii, ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), AncientWanderer (Westerdam to Apr 27) 14d Japan Discovery + (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 27

Good morning from a partly sunny 46°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 important days.

A good quote and nice meal today.

Prayers for the wellbeing of everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone is safe and enjoying a nice day.

Screenshot_20240416_105658.jpg

Screenshot_20240416_105617.jpg

Screenshot_20240416_105551.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

Posted (edited)

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is 69 degrees here this morning, with a forecast high of 91.

The Zaandam is one of my favorite cities today. 🙂  

I hope everyone has a great day!

Oct06cruise 168.jpg

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning/Evening. Just a short post for now as we will be attending a meeting soon to be briefed on our flights and day trip to Taj Mahal tomorrow. We have a 5 AM show and an estimated return to ship in Mumbai around midnight. We will need a sea day especially seeing we have a early excursion booked in Mumbai the following morning. There are 120 of us going. 

Back on the Indian Ocean and it continues to be as smooth as glass.

Thanks for the featured reports and all your post. Bruce

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Vodka Collins cocktail:

The vodka collins is a simple, refreshing, and popular mixed drink. Made with vodka, lemon juice, simple syrup, and club soda, it's really just a sweet and sour vodka soda (and just as easy to mix up). The quick but charming cocktail is a perfect happy hour choice for vodka drinkers, and its clean, crisp taste makes it ideal for dinner.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. vodka
1 oz. lemon juice
1/2 lunch simple syrup
3-5 oz. club soda to taste
Orange slice to garnish
Maraschino cherry for garnish

Directions:

In a collins glass filled with ice cubes, pour the vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup.  Stir thoroughly.  Top with club soda.  Garnish.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.15.04 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 22

Good morning, thanks for the Report.

A frosty morning, but the forecast is for a sunny 12°C (54°F) this afternoon.

Good days to celebrate.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds interesting.  I'm sure I'd like the cocktail and the wine.

Whitehorse is an interesting place to visit.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning friends!  This morning it's 56F with morning clouds but will be sunny this afternoon and a high of 83.  It's heating up!

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting our Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  Good luck Jacqui as you do your last minute preparations for your cruise.  I'm ready to assume duties Thursday.  

Today are some interesting days to recognize - Emancipation Day being the most important, I think we can all agree.  I had never heard of Foursquare Day before, but know that bean counters must be breathing a short sigh of relief.  The quote is okay with me, might try the meal suggestion if someone were to offer it to me, doubt I'd try the cocktail or wine. 😁  Numbers on uniforms sure make it easier to identify sports players.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reporting.  

The numbers on uniforms reminds me that DS sent us a short video showing Ren making the game winning goal in the last 45 seconds of their Saturday game in Kansas City. They won 3 to 2.  He played the entire 90 minutes because his team had injuries and one player had a red card and was out.  As usual you can see Ren streaking up the middle to the net and kicking it straight in.  There is never a player on the field faster than Ren!  Since Kansas City is closer to Frisco, TX (less than 500 miles) they had to take a bus there and back and spent way too many hours on that bus in my opinion.  This weekend they bus to Austin and Houston for two games.  That is my sports report for today.

Prayers said this morning for DB, twin Linda recovering from surgery, great nephew Alex's twins, and my friends in need of them.  Also Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and our military members in the region.  Many special prayers for the Dailyites on the Care list and anyone else who would benefit from them.  I hope Tana and Vanessa @JazzyV had a restful night and will have less pain and fatigue today.  Thinking of all who have lost a beloved friend or family member lately.  🙏

Cheers for all celebrating happy events today and our many cruisers!  Have a great time!  It's one of those birthdates in my family with two members celebrating, a niece and my DGS in his freshman year at UCLA.  Once again a great job on the Care and Celebration lists Vanessa @JazzyV!  Hope today is a good one for you.

The port of the day is Whitehorse, Yukon.  This was the port before on June 20, 2021 and July 12, 2022.  I haven't been to Whitehorse but hope someone has been and will share their photos again.  Here are the links.

Congrats to Grandma Annie @marshhawk and Grandpa Chuck @catmando!

Hope you enjoy a wonderful day today.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

61 this AM with another sunny day with a high of 86.

Good selection of days .

Great quote.

The meal sounds pretty good.

I lost at Wordle yesterday for only the second time in 90 days.

We have been to Whitehorse in the Yukon on the great train ride out of Skagway.

I was running late yesterday and and wanted to comment on Scottie Scheffler’s great win in the Masters, this guy is the real deal and could become one of the all time greats, I loved how he embraced the cheers of the fans after he won and am now a fan of his, just have to accept that he’s so focused during a tournament that he doesn’t acknowledge fans with a tip of the hat or even eye contact, eventually I think that will probably change.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps.  It is another spectacular morning here. 57 with the promise high 70s and no humidity. I am going to be so spoiled. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Consider the Dailyites your cheering section for next Monday. If we could just wish you better. 

Gym, Bindi walks, lots of chores. My niece and her daughters are coming Saturday for a few days. My pool water temp is perfect for them to enjoy. She will find her Mom so much improved over her last visit. I see a trip to the beach in my future. 

IMG_2716.jpeg.777e7ecff40cbf0881c4bf5fc67944e9.jpeg

IMG_2714.jpeg.129103273583d0b8503c268ec57d698a.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg.fdbcd2ef37974daa5549a859a7a62fb5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Hugs Bruno.

Terry, praying for Tana, her son, you and your families. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. Sandi, thrilled to read that all went well with Linda’s surgery. May her road to recovery not be too difficult. Lenda, wonderful news about Steve’s shunt. You two have had quite a journey. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

La Rioja Alta Viña Alberdi Reserva 2019

I see that we are still in the Rioja section of our wine “aisle”. I used the 2019 vintage info, since it should still be easy to find and 92 was the lowest of five critic's ratings. It sounds lovely. I am just starting to have some room in my “cellar”, so I need to start a new list. Online prices start at $17.99.

Vintner’s notes

Rated Excellent, the weather conditions during the growing cycle were optimal, producing very healthy grapes in the vineyards. The bunches, loose and well aerated, ripened exceptionally well. This allowed us to wait for the optimum time to harvest each of the plots selected for this particular wine. As a result, the wines stand out for their balance, attractive freshness and round, silky tannins, particularly suitable for ageing and with a decidedly Atlantic character, typical of this part of Rioja.

100% Tempranillo from Mayorita, El Bardal and El Rebollar in Rodezno, and Alto del Rey in Labastida. These vineyards are situated at 500-600 metres above sea level and the vines were planted on clay-limestone soils more than 40 years ago.

The harvest is done by hand, selecting the bunches in the vineyard. The grapes are placed in boxes and taken to the winery in refrigerated transport to preserve their integrity. After destemming and crushing, the grapes were placed in tanks where alcoholic and malolactic fermentation took place naturally. The wine was aged for two years in American oak barrels made by our in-house coopers —new ones in the first year and four-year-old barrels for the second year. We carried out four rackings in the traditional way, from barrel to barrel, separating by candlelight the sediment that formed during the ageing process. Bottled in May 2022.

Bright, deep ruby colour with intense dark cherry hues on the rim of the glass. It stands out for its intense ripe red fruit aromas like strawberries, raspberries and redcurrants complemented by pleasantly sweet spicy notes of vanilla, caramel, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. The palate is round, with lively freshness at the start and sweet, supple tannins, leading to a long, fruity and balsamic finish, so characteristic of Viña Alberdi.

Viña Alberdi is characterised by a notable food-pairing versatility. It is an ideal companion to appetizers, snacks and barbecues, perfect with rice, pastas and stews, and great with lightly-grilled meat and fish.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2

Good morning and THANK YOU for the reports!!

The doctor said I am better than before and will continue to improve.  I shouldn't expect to be 100% and this cough will linger, maybe up to five weeks!  And, in Texas, who knows, that could be forever...  There's always an allergen in the air, here!!!  And, I also have allergies!!

But being given the go-ahead, I will tough it out and get moving again.  Slow and steady wins the race!  And, I'll sit when I must and cough while doing it all!!!  (He did send me for an Xray and we'll hear back from that today...  but he's just confirming what he knows to be good, he said!

The Vodka Cocktail, May I have three or more cherries, please??  Sometimes the garnish is the fun part!!!

Enjoy today and your life!!  It's YOUR'S...  make it what you need!!!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

We are looking at more sunshine during the day today with slightly cooler temps.  Our high is only mid 60s.  Tonight the clouds and rain move in.  That's ok as we have had a good streak of beautiful days.  There is nothing exciting on the agenda for today, but that is just fine by me.  I'm trying a new water fitness class today.  Well, it is the same class, different instructor.  We'll see if I like it.  I'll be really happy when the trees are all leafed out.  Allergies are really getting to me.

Congratulations, @marshhawk on being a kitty grandma!   

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad yesterday's meeting was so helpful to you.  You deserve great support.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm glad you got such positive news at Steve's appointment yesterday.  

@LambKnuckles Glad you got the go ahead from the Dr.  I hear you on allergies.  

Today's meal is a great one for those watching their carbs.  Rice is replaced with cauliflower rice.  You can either grate a whole cauliflower yourself or you can buy it ready to go.  I usually find it in the frozen food section and it is a wonderful time saver.  If you have vegetable haters, this is a great dish as the cauliflower is "hidden" by the cheese.   https://www.isabeleats.com/broccoli-cauliflower-rice-chicken-casserole/

chickencauliflowerricecasserole1.thumb.jpg.f0fc0401c7d288ac9e80d1cb15dc599e.jpg

This next one is going to be a little higher in the calorie count because of the cream cheese used.  I would be tempted to jazz it up with some bell pepper and/or jalapeños.  https://diethood.com/chicken-cauliflower-rice-casserole/

chickencauliflowerricecasserole2.thumb.jpg.f56a0c3508535fb5a11d5cbfd90182d2.jpg

This recipe is missing the broccoli, but you can easily add that in.  https://www.eatingwell.com/creamy-chicken-cauliflower-rice-casserole-8584492

chickencauliflowerricecasserole3.jpg.cd15fa0807559a0a21fa76f294b046f3.jpg

Hoping this finds all of you well and wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

26 minutes ago, LambKnuckles said:

Good morning and THANK YOU for the reports!!

The doctor said I am better than before and will continue to improve.  I shouldn't expect to be 100% and this cough will linger, maybe up to five weeks!  And, in Texas, who knows, that could be forever...  There's always an allergen in the air, here!!!  And, I also have allergies!!

But being given the go-ahead, I will tough it out and get moving again.  Slow and steady wins the race!  And, I'll sit when I must and cough while doing it all!!!  (He did send me for an Xray and we'll hear back from that today...  but he's just confirming what he knows to be good, he said!

The Vodka Cocktail, May I have three or more cherries, please??  Sometimes the garnish is the fun part!!!

Enjoy today and your life!!  It's YOUR'S...  make it what you need!!!

I'm pleased to hear your doctor said you are improving Lambie and hopefully your x-ray's are clear.

Please pace yourself and don't overdo things.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Happy Tuesday!  April is National Poetry month.  Here is a poem by Ian Parks. IMG_0391.thumb.jpeg.09dcdb4ed0361da18254aff6ea23dc7d.jpeg
Thank you Jacqui @kazu for posting our Daily, Roy @rafinmd for the maps and Rich @richwmn for assembling our content.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for inspiring us to try new food and beverages.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists. I’d also like to thank everyone who posts port pictures, my favorite part of the day.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Bridge of the Americas, I first drove across this bridge in July of 1976

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  Another sunny, beautiful day here in Boston.  Unfortunately for us we get to spend it indoors packing for the movers on Thursday.  Where does all this stuff come from?  I’ll celebrate Emancipation Day and Bean Counter Days (as a former one myself).  A very nice quote to ponder today.  The meal sounds nice as does the drink. I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list, thanks for your kind wishes about my friend Lauren, also keep me in mind today as I reflect on the first anniversary of my brother’s death.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you grapau27 for the beautiful poem. Today is one year since I lost DH. It will be a rough day, but your post makes it a bit easier.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. It is another beautiful day here with temperatures ranging from 48 to 68. Lots of pollen in the air, on the cars and outdoor furniture. The flowering trees are stunning against the clear blue sky. 
The quote is a powerful one. I have not been to the port and would like the recipe if I had any ambition to make it. Emancipation day is to be celebrated everywhere.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I am glad Linda got through the rotator cuff repair. It is a long rehab but the results will be worth it. I had quite a few patients with total shoulder procedures done and they usually did very well. The PT involved is painful for both procedures. 
DD told me recently that she thought her shoulder surgery was harder to tolerate than her cervical spine fusion. It was very hard to sleep and she often ended up sleeping in a recliner.

If Linda has access to the ice machine used after knee and shoulder surgeries it is well worth it for control of pain and edema.

@marshhawk, congratulations on the grand kitties! I hope mom and babies are doing well this morning.

Things feel less anxious here but I find myself just exhausted. I think it is similar to the after effects of constant adrenaline pumping through the body.

Tana and I had a good laugh earlier when I asked what she had planned for the day. She usually has a small goal she sets for herself. Today she wanted to “be a vegetable” and watch something silly on TV. That will be easy to accomodate.

Have a great day everyone 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2