NCL Prima eastbound 15 days TA (Live) 27 Apr, 2024 - N.Y. to Southampton via Halifax, Iceland & EU ports - preview intro

@mking8288

looks like an amazing meal. So sorry they didn’t have a better way to juggle reservations an inclement weather. 
We are going to Paloma’s this evening. Hope this isn’t foreboding for all venues.

Ship feels full and lively.

There are some large tour groups traveling together that are monopolizing spaces. 

Went to play Bridge yesterday and the room is also packed with mahjong, lacrosse and other noisier interactive games. Quite the cacophony. 

Haven chefs has added a daily lunch and daily dinner special. Not certain if this is a trial run or because of the long sailing. 

Met a gentleman who is corp IT .. he’s here assessing evaluating etc…he also spends time at shipyards as the new builds are coming together… we had discussed point of sale, web and how with smart bands servers can know pax and anticipate needs like we have had on other ships. Something NCL doesn’t use. He’s here on the ship for the sailing…so hopefully he’s seeing and hearing the issues if they are IT and not operator error/mgt fails

• Like 4

Can't recall MKing if you sailed Prima before or as I think one Prima cancel.

But what you describe is what we experienced on our TA and common theme. Beautiful ship, innovative additions, too small venues.  

The can't put my finger on is the vibe.  I'd say it was leadership related but there have been many turnovers yet seems same problems. Yet there seems to be absence of visible leaders on your trip.  Why?

Another foggy day, safe travels.

How about some pics of pool and race track and arcade being used by guests?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Day 5 

Ship has turned NE on a 30 deg heading to slip between weather fronts, mostly wind & rain, seas at 3 meters or about 9 to 10 ft. 

Foggy outside and the balcony is useable if you put on a wet suit, rain gear and dress warmly 😁😆😸

PXL_20240501_131522768.thumb.jpg.88b8ed8343cde6bf5b9c5e0ca0f59e7d.jpg

Screenshot_20240501-102352.thumb.png.5d38e324ee658358309b70c5dae4a5de.png

PXL_20240501_131445250.thumb.jpg.3420ff9dd3fc81876105c98ef0199497.jpg

Laundry Special today - $34 per bag stuffed full with 2 day turnaround.  We are going to our 1st (free) bag tomorrow - once I get a bag and laundry slip from our steward (she didn't put any in the room)

Shows are all full, really - that, or the NCL app is really, continued to be buggy and performing poorly. Ship is full & busy so not entirely surprised. Will check & see. 

Collage_2024-05-01_10_37_25.thumb.jpg.d50776d1f982363025da866399f45fe8.jpg

Screenshot_20240501-103217.thumb.png.49ded1187c729903f87fcc0fd93c01c6.png

• Like 3

Foggy morning to @Fogfog  Sharon, how's your balcony view and getting any use ?  Is Robert finding Internet adequate for him to do some work at sea ?  Does that IT person knows you are w CC and we have 2 live reporting souls onboard, 😆 LOL 

I think you will fine dining in Paloma tonight, we are going to be in Cagney's tomorrow - taking a break between specialty meals, hahaha. 

Peter's CC pub crawl is tomorrow, 2 PM meeting at The Local, going ?  Will go & see if he can use a little help. 

Going to do a little walk-around later, after lunch for more undercover reporting.

@dexddd we cancel Prima twice but did do her westbound TA in November, nieces & others warned of the precise issues we are finding again, worst and not improving. 

Okay, I will need to get out wet weather gears to check, pool closed yesterday & not sure about the other upper deck racetrack - nothing happening w the water slides.

We'll somehow make things work, as you know 😁😆🤫

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still can't understand why they continue to sail North on the Prima, the ship, crew, and passengers would be better served with a Southern route. Our Southern TA on the Viva last November was fantastic, we even went into the infinity pool. 

The Prima would be a great replacement ship for the aging POA in Hawaii.

I suspect our Aqua TA will be similar to the first Prima TA but at least it's only seven days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

I'd say it was leadership related but there have been many turnovers yet seems same problems.

the GM has remained the same. (can i get a "hmmm" on that?)

make of that what you will, but i do think the prima, of all the NCL ships i've sailed, is the least well run. yes, there are design problems that limit the use of space and have caused crowding in venues, but the prima's problems - and there are many - are largely because of poor executive management and their response to know problems. a year and a half in, they should not be surprised when hungry diners show up to eat in the MDR at the same times every night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Most folks sitting in chairs with cocktails while apps on spoons passed. We stayed about 25 min which was longer than the officers. We were surprised it was poorly attended

Apparently NCL cruisers don't like to be spoon-fed.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

I still can't understand why they continue to sail North on the Prima, the ship, crew, and passengers would be better served with a Southern route. Our Southern TA on the Viva last November was fantastic, we even went into the infinity pool. 

I suspect our Aqua TA will be similar to the first Prima TA but at least it's only seven days.

They cannot do that. The Prima was not built in the USA. Actually, they POA was only partially built in the USA, but was granted an exception to the PVSA allowing it to sail between US ports without a foreign port. IIRC, one of the Senators from Hawaii was instrumental in getting them this waiver.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Everyone says the Prima is not a cold/bad weather ship to be on when all of the passengers must remain cooped up inside. Given the issues being reported, it appears that "everyone" is correct.

That's the reason why we choose the Pearl for our TA next April...even though the Prima was leaving at almost the same time with a nearly identical itinerary. Well, that...plus the fact that we were less than thrilled with the Prima when we cruised on her a year ago.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

They cannot do that. The Prima was not built in the USA. Actually, they POA was only partially built in the USA, but was granted an exception to the

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

They cannot do that. The Prima was not built in the USA. Actually, they POA was only partially built in the USA, but was granted an exception to the PVSA allowing it to sail between US ports without a foreign port. IIRC, one of the Senators from Hawaii was instrumental in getting them this waiver.

allowing it to sail between US ports without a foreign port. IIRC, one of the Senators from Hawaii was instrumental in getting them this waiver.

I thought they could reflag the ship, I'm sure it isn't cheap but keeping the POA afloat isn't cheap.

The POA is the ONLY ship in the Norwegian fleet that is incorporated in the US (Honolulu) rather than in the Bahamas, hence most of Her staff have to come from the US.  She has a lot more rules and regulations (environmental and employment for two) to follow than other NCL ships.  Which is why cruises on the POA are so expensive.

The POA is small enough to dock or tender in Hawaiian ports.  Not sure but I think the Prima class ships would be too big to service most if not all of the POA's ports of call. 

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

GM has remained the same. (can i get a "hmmm" on that?)

prima's problems - and there are many - are largely because of poor executive management and their response to know problems. a year and a half in, they should not be surprised

I shall give you 4 hmmm, one a day and the problems still haven't gone away. 

What the leadership hasn't figured out is to think outside the box with their big heads, watches them standing outside the MDR with either heads down, back against most guests and or busy on their Nokia style handset ... speaks for itself.  Ate last night and thought we would skip the line, wait & madness and ... WTH was that BS given, not upset with the host or assistant manage.

Guests left and there were nobody free to quickly clean & quickly turn the table around. I am not doing - unofficial - undercover reporting on CC, but these junior officers should and need to watch via our lens.

A simple fix for lunch, stretch the hours, open at 11:30 instead of noon, and keep it open until 2 PM, not 1:30 PM - with 2.5 hrs, the odds of 2 sittings can be better assured.

Just an idea, not my "duty" to tell or suggest how they should run the Prima's ship operations. 

If they open the Nami space for card players from dawn until 4 PM, why not open The Commodore MDR, smaller but definitely can help with the ship sailing full, especially on full sea days. 😤🙄😱 It's not open and was never open on the last TA going westbound either, as we were on her.

Oh, wait - earning results just out, rising  costs and need to find ways to make cuts and raise passenger fares. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

PXL_20240501_161616357.thumb.jpg.9940483a676dfa8cbfe20d1f561396c4.jpg

We got our window dining table view just before noon and just finished - it's 1:30 PM. 

PXL_20240501_163251684.thumb.jpg.c12eadeba8b1cd0739a811f3835df73b.jpg

Still full, some just sat down and waiting for food.

PXL_20240501_163501579.thumb.jpg.5942703638d3a9bfcf08e372925d011d.jpg

PXL_20240501_163614087.thumb.jpg.ed586f6f22a3245aa5a531b4801532a3.jpg

Coffee or tea ?

PXL_20240501_163743882.thumb.jpg.cdd3b6ba78bd06b3293b1663b913285d.jpg

Motion ahead ? 

Edited by mking8288
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Thinking the same.  It's best suited for warmer climes.  And, any Atlantic sailing is going to be dicey, weather wise (at least all the ones I've sailed).

Strictly personal opinion.....

-there needs to be a re-evaluation of routes and the ships that sail them

-someone/somewhere within NCL there needs to be an assessment of how staffing affects guest satisfaction/relations

-by now, the shortages of....well...anything are way behind us.  That should no longer have ANY bearing on passenger consumables whether it be drink or food

-whatever NCL saves in cost cutting, they'll lose in guest loyalty

-can't quite put my finger on others' experience with Prima, as it seems less than ideal.  Or, I just got lucky on my sailing.  Mine was quite different.  Maybe it's because I have an air of aristocracy that follows me.  After all, I'm barely outside of Appalachia, a part of the country known for our deep appreciation and sophistication of fine food and liquors (like grits and moonshine).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

We upgraded to unlimited Wi-Fi and have been fine with incoming email etc. not using streaming so can’t speak to that.

I will miss a zoom mtg by choice..good excuse ..ha

He’s getting some work done between eating, Ha

Balcony like all spaces ..cold wet foggy. Kinda of cool and mysterious..and the foghorn etc  … makes it fun

Robrt took a nap on a lounger on the balcony wrapped in a blanket yesterday.

He did use the pool today as have others..saying it was warm. 

He’s been to the gym twice as well. Can be crowded with weekend warriors so to speak.

we hear the thermal spa is nice but haven’t been.

Have noticed some pax are friendly, some aloof and in their own world AND are usually standing in the middle of walkways…kind of like herding cats in some hallways. So there are parts of the ship we haven’t ventured to yet.

Others are just grumpy and seem to forget they paid to be here. Maybe they been stuck behind the ones standing in the middle of walkways…😆

It’s supposed to be fun, and maybe a smile, politeness to others from these grumpy ones might be the “pay it forward ticket” they need…..kwim? 

Noticed that we change time zones tonight instead of moving an hour today. 

We will see you all for Peters CC pub crawl tom.
Have our trivia question ready.  

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

The Prima was not built in the USA.

the jones act applies to cargo ships and that's the one that requires ships to be amercan owned and american built.

the passenger vessel services act is the one that requires ships to have a predominantly american crew if sailing on a domestic itinerary. foreign-flagged ships must stop in at least 1 non-US port in order to call on an american port. there is no requirement that the ship has to have been built in america. i don't believe any large ships are still built in america. 

55 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

What the leadership hasn't figured out is to think outside the box

i wholeheartedly agree.

many of your suggestions, including expanding hours for various venues, are good ones. and i think i made some of the same suggestions in my review last year.

i will say that i did find the F&B execs receptive to feedback on my sailing, but indulge was relatively new then and they were very interested in feedback.

i'd be curious to learn if any passengers have been unfortunate enough to be placed in a cabin with loud internal noise. i imagine that is still going on, but it sounds like you and our other CC correspondents are not afflicted.

a rare word of praise for marc, the GM... (or "mark" as he is incorrectly referred to in the farewell video... have they fixed that yet?)... he's a swell guy, very nice, even though he is almost completely non-responsive to guest concerns.

but he is from amsterdam, if memory serves. and on itineraries that include amsterdam as a port call, he does a great "lecture" in the theatre detailing top sites and attractions to visit. it's a very loving and sincere presentation (not at all focused on selling excursions) and it is quite interesting and worthwhile. (he's a little loosey goosey on facts, however... recommending, for instance, the anne frank house, but not telling everyone that you have to buy tickets online exactly four weeks in advance. similarly, his advice for the van gogh museum was just to "show up." and that dog don't hunt.)

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UKstages said:

the jones act applies to cargo ships and that's the one that requires ships to be amercan owned and american built.

the passenger vessel services act is the one that requires ships to have a predominantly american crew if sailing on a domestic itinerary. foreign-flagged ships must stop in at least 1 non-US port in order to call on an american port. there is no requirement that the ship has to have been built in america. i don't believe any large ships are still built in america. 

i wholeheartedly agree.

many of your suggestions, including expanding hours for various venues, are good ones. and i think i made some of the same suggestions in my review last year.

i will say that i did find the F&B execs receptive to feedback on my sailing, but indulge was relatively new then and they were very interested in feedback.

id be curious to learn if any passengers have been unfortunate enough to be placed in a cabin with loud internal noise. i imagine that is still going on, but it sounds like you and our other CC correspondents are not afflicted.

a rare word of praise for marc, the GM... (or "mark" as he is incorrectly referred to in the farewell video... have they fixed that yet?)... he's a swell guy, very nice, even though he is almost completely non-responsive to guest concerns.

but he is from amsterdam, if memory serves. and on itineraries that include amsterdam as a port call, he does a great "lecture" in the theatre detailing top sites and attractions to visit. it's a very loving and sincere presentation (not at all focused on selling excursions) and it is quite interesting and worthwhile. (he's a little loosey goosey on facts, however... recommending, for instance, the anne frank house, but no telling everyone that you have to buy tickets online exactly four weeks in advance. similarly, his advice for the van gogh museum was just to "show up." and that dog don't hunt.)

We had a great conversation with Marc at a reception earlier in the week.
We bought tickets over a month ago for the Van Gogh and the Rijksmuseum. Marc was clear that those who bought the Amsterdam pass needed additional ticketing ahead..which we told him we had already done. We had a specific question for him..today an answer arrived. Very detailed.

He is a man of his word. We appreciated the gesture and effort.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fogfog said:

He is a man of his word.

he may well be.

the operative term here is "word." in order for him to be a man of his word, he must respond to someone. if he doesn't respond, there is no word by which to judge his actions. 

as i said, he is a swell guy, affable and personable. i've praised his amsterdam presentation. but my experience was that he was almost completely non-responsive to guest concerns. i base this on my 21 days on the prima about a year ago. i've written extensively about it on CC.

YMMV and, apparently, it has.

There is a bedside 110V outlet in our balcony stateroom, near the headboard & next to the bedside lamp mounted to the night dresser.  Not sure if this is newly added as I don't recall seeing it last time on the Prima.  It is good and now unnecessary to tap into the 220V outlet for the bedside lamp. 

PXL_20240501_164800927.thumb.jpg.bd78ba3ced25edf9fc23a66a8963f18f.jpg

These staterooms are accessible friendly with a different and extra component below the door signage.

PXL_20240501_165045668.thumb.jpg.cb385f676078e0a39b4a3c5252231e34.jpg

• Like 2

@The P  We had to make another trip to walk to Guest Services as they flagged Susan's onboard account as paying cash and is restricted as a result, another corporate I.T. or server error. 

Heading over, walked past the gift shops and guess what, she didn't spotted shoes but taking an interest in Gucci ... triple points using NCL credit card. 

PXL_20240501_165441985.thumb.jpg.0bfc1c51d8670823cf5d442afdf76d92.jpg

PXL_20240501_165602565.thumb.jpg.037108bf8de020b9a99583576bac135b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

We upgraded to unlimited Wi-Fi and have been fine with incoming email etc. not using streaming so can’t speak to that.

I will miss a zoom mtg by choice..good excuse ..ha

He’s getting some work done between eating, Ha

Balcony like all spaces ..cold wet foggy. Kinda of cool and mysterious..and the foghorn etc  … makes it fun

Robrt took a nap on a lounger on the balcony wrapped in a blanket yesterday.

He did use the pool today as have others..saying it was warm. 

He’s been to the gym twice as well. Can be crowded with weekend warriors so to speak.

we hear the thermal spa is nice but haven’t been.

Have noticed some pax are friendly, some aloof and in their own world AND are usually standing in the middle of walkways…kind of like herding cats in some hallways. So there are parts of the sh

ip we haven’t ventured to yet.

Others are just grumpy and seem to forget they paid to be here. Maybe they been stuck behind the ones standing in the middle of walkways…😆

It’s supposed to be fun, and maybe a smile, politeness to others from these grumpy ones might be the “pay it forward ticket” they need…..kwim? 

Noticed that we change time zones tonight instead of moving an hour today. 

We will see you all for Peters CC pub crawl tom.
Have our trivia question ready.  

Boy do I love your post!!!!!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, UKstages said:

he may well be.

the operative term here is "word." in order for him to be a man of his word, he must respond to someone. if he doesn't respond, there is no word by which to judge his actions. 

as i said, he is a swell guy, affable and personable. i've praised his amsterdam presentation. but my experience was that he was almost completely non-responsive to guest concerns. i base this on my 21 days on the prima about a year ago. i've written extensively about it on CC.

YMMV and, apparently, it has.

Maybe he’s responding so well and thoughtfully because of your input and concerns from previous sailings. So we thank you 

• Haha 2

Interesting about eating times….on April 5-16 sailing Hudsons was open for dinner 5-9pm and Commodore open 5:30-9:30. For lunch Surfside grill was open 11:30-5pm, the cafe 11:30-2pm, Local Bar and grill 11am-10pm, Indulge varied usually for about 2 hours between 11 and 3 depending on port time or sea day. The only time we found a crowd at the main restaurants was just as they opened. After about 30 mins or so you could just about walk in. I didn’t make the speciality reservations until we got on and had no trouble getting times we like just had to be flexible on the days. Don’t understand why the times would change so.

Add us to those who really liked the Prima. We checked out the Observation Lounge, loved that with all the nooks and small food station, and all the eating places and bars. We would like to take our young adult grandkids on a week long cruise. Actually we enjoyed the Atrium for people watching.  

• Like 2