The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 21st, 2024

Today is International Hemp Day, Kindergarten Day, and National Chocolate-Covered Cashews Day

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. - Douglas Adams

Meal Suggestion for today - Steak, Pepper & Sugar Snap Stir Fry
Drink of the Day - French Martini
Wine of the Day - Loveblock Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Scarborough, Trinidad and Tobago

Today in History:
1956 Elvis Presley's 1st hit record, "Heartbreak Hotel", becomes #1

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada eta 04-26

Nieuw Amsterdam

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico 08:00 - 14:00

Nieuw Statendam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 15:00

Noordam

Honolulu, Hawaii  d 23:00

Oosterdam

Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Brest, France eta 04-23

Volendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00

Zaandam

Catalina Island, California 0700-1700

Zuiderdam

Luderitz, Namibia 08:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Kanazawa, Japan

• Like 17
  • Thanks 23

Good morning friends!  It's raining and 55 here this early a.m.  I expect intermittent rain most of the day with thunder possible.  A high temp of only 60F.

Thanks Roy @rafinmd for posting the fleet location maps.  There's lots to learn about hemp.  Kindergartens and chocolate covered cashews are both a good thing (unless you're allergic to tree nuts).  A silly quote by Douglas Adams.  I would say yes to the stir fry and Sauvignon Blanc but not to a martini.  I remember Heartbreak Hotel.  My older sister was an Elvis fan.  Thanks to everyone for the F&B reports, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard.  

Prayers today for DB, twin Linda, great nephew Alex's twins, and friends Scott, Susan and Sandy.  Also for Israel and Ukraine, hostages still held, and the military members at sea and on bases in the region.  And for all here on the Care list with pain and suffering, awaiting surgeries or recovering from one, feeling the loss of loved ones, and with stress and worry.  You're all important to us and we'd love to see an improvement in everyone's life.  🙏

Congrats to all celebrating important events such as birthdays and anniversaries, and those cruising. 🥂 Good luck and bon voyage to those boarding ships today (Jacqui @kazu and BFF and @VMax1700 ).  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your work on the lists and I'm hopeful you were able to grab some more sleep last night.  Best wishes and prayers for you tomorrow!

The port today is Scarborough, Trinidad and Tobago, which was our port before on July 10, 2021 and April 19, 2022.  I haven't been to Scarborough, just Port-of-Spain.  Here are the links for your convenience.  Thanks for your photos!

I haven't heard any details nor seen any video yet but it appears from online reports that FC Dallas U17 beat Austin FC U17 2 to 1.  Today they play Houston Dynamo FC U17 at 11 a.m. central time in Houston.  That is my sports report for today!

Have a great day today no matter what you do.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL in hospice care

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with HTN, stroke, now awake

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness – surgery on 4/22

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, on maximal oxygen

AncientWanderer’s DH with heart aneurysm

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Kazu (Jacqui)!

Bon Voyage Vmax1700 (Colin & Ellen)!

Happy 50th Anniversary bennybear (Brenda)!

Happy Birthday Sailingdutchy (Tony)!

Welcome to Rotterdam Vict0riann!

Welcome Home LAFFNVEGAS!

Bennybear with good appointment with Oncologist

Smitty34877’s NH family visiting

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Summer slope (Disney Wish Apr 22 to Apr 26) 4d Bahamian cruised with DGS & his parents

6 days for Haljo1935 (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) 16d North Pacific Crossing + (May 12 to May 19) 7d Alaska (celebrating birthday on board)

Lobsternight (Koningsdam to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse & Circle Hawaii, ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), AncientWanderer (Westerdam to Apr 27) 14d Japan Discovery + (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure. Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 28

Vanessa @JazzyV thank you for keeping us informed on special days in everyone's lives.  You do a superb job of paying attention to what we all discuss and getting those details included.  Who is going to be your substitute on the Lists, and how long will you be on "sick leave"?

Happy 50th wedding anniversary Brenda @bennybear!  I know this is a very special occasion for you and your family to celebrate.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Happy birthday wishes to Tony @sailingdutchy!  I hope there are many happy returns of the day.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers and Roy @rafinmd for today's daily and fleet locations.

It is sunny and 48°F here at 11.16am in North East England.

3 interesting days.

I have sold chocolate for 35+ years but never had chocolate covered cashews.

Today's food sounds nice.

Never been to today's port.

Prayers uplifted for all who are unwell.

I hope everyone has a fabulous day.

Screenshot_20240421_111436.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 17

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

70 right now with a high of 82 along with sunny skies.

Good selection of days, I love chocolate and cashews are my favorite nuts but it doesn’t seem like chocolate covered cashews is a good mix.

The quote is funny in a way.

I’ll pass on the meal.

We’ve been to Trinidad and Tobago 3 times on cruises all on the Volendam in the late 1990s.

I always thought that Hound Dog and Don’t Be Cruel were Elvis Presley’s first hits, I had the 45 with both songs on the flip sides.

OK, it’s the Lightning and the Panthers this afternoon, GO BOLTS.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and clear this morning, doesn't feel like spring yet. 

Hemp is a valuable commodity.  I guess kindergarten is important.  I like chocolate and I like cashews, but not together.

I like the quote, I like Douglas Adams.

The meal sounds good, hope the drink and wine are too.

Have a peaceful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 29

The French Martini helped to kick off the flavored Martini craze of the 1990s. Featuring vodka, pineapple juice and Chambord, the cocktail was first brought to prominence in the late-1980s when it debuted at the famous New York City restaurant Balthazar. The cocktail is emblematic of the era’s preference for fruity and sweet drinks, especially those with Martini in the name or anything appended with a ’Tini suffix (looking at you, Appletini).

The reason why this Martini is called a “French” Martini is the inclusion of Chambord black raspberry liqueur, which has been produced in France since the 17th century. The Chambord, along with the pineapple juice, adds rich fruit flavor to the drink. When shaken hard with plenty of ice, the pineapple juice—use the freshest you can find—creates a pleasantly creamy mouthfeel and a frothy head.

Ingrediens:

2 oz. vodka
1/4 oz. Chambord black raspberry liqueur
1 3/4 oz. pineapple juice

Directions:

Add the vodka, Chambord and pineapple juice into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.  Fine-strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 7.07.26 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 19

Good morning. It will be a partly sunny day with temps only reaching 54. I still remember kindergarten and will celebrate the day for it. Someone else can have my chocolate and cashews. I have not been to the port and the recipe sounds like a good dish to try.

The NH family arrived and there was a flurry of activity. DS and I went grocery shopping for the next few days while DDIL helped Tana. The grandchildren went off with our teenager and his girlfriend for a few hours and we will never know what they did….I am happy that they all get along so well. We had a wonderful seafood dinner and Tana was able to sit with all of us to eat. 
@bennybear, Brenda, a very Happy Anniversary to you both!

@kazu and  @VMax1700, Bon Voyage!

@sailingdutchy, Tony, Happy Birthday!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Just looked at the Port Canaveral webcam and in view is the MSC Seashore. We are excited as we board in two weeks for a week long cruise. Last week we booked two excursions for our port calls at Montego Bay and Georgetown. In looking at the excursions that are available,  MSC is the first cruise line I have seen that has non-folding scooter-specific excursions listed for Georgetown and Cozumel! It mentions passengers will ride in an accessible van. Prices are the same as the regular excursion offered as well.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 34

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi! Thank you for our maps, Roy! Everyone arrived safely yesterday & we had a gorgeous afternoon & evening in the pool. We barely got out of it to eat. 😎 I couldn’t have ordered better weather. More of the same today. It is the quiet before everyone walks up. The birds are singing & chirping. And the sunrise was lovely. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that tomorrow is the answer for you. Praying hard. 

My visitors will dictate today’s schedule, though I know there will be some Bindi walks & pool time in my future. 

IMG_2730.jpeg.56aa9538de8cb0ed5f501f66d0a71444.jpeg

IMG_2733.jpeg.894fa2f00949112a4087b4bfc2967bdc.jpeg

IMG_2723.jpeg.e79d5fc4d4c8a14472708a5f379774bd.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Hugs Bruno. 

Terry, praying that you get to enjoy your visitors & that Tana’s condition improves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @sailingdutchy Tony Happy Birthday!

@bennybear Brenda Happy 50th to you & your main squeeze!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Loveblock Sauvignon Blanc 2021

This New Zealand SB sounds lovely and different. Lots of fans anmong consumers & critics. I used the 2021 vintage info since it still is easy to find & should be a wee bit more drinkable. Easy to find online. Reasonably priced. Online prices start at $19.97.

Winemaker’s notes 

Here at Loveblock, we always make wine with lower levels of added sulfur, and TEE explores the elimination of added sulfur to wine (the traditional wine preservative). Oenological tannins are commonly used in the winemaking process to perform various functions. We found that the tannin extracted from green tea leaves (Camelia sinesis) also provides powerful protection against oxidation and spoilage as a natural antioxidant.The grapes for this wine came from a small parcel of vines on our Woolshed vineyard on the Loveblock Farm, in the Lower Dashwood sub-region of Marborough’s Awatere Valley. Pale straw with a hint of green and gold. This wine has lifted aromas of mandarin zest, quince, yellow peach, sweet basil, gooseberry, white pepper and distinct wet stone minerality, with structured herbal notes. The palate is elegant, with juicy mandarin, earthy cumin, sweet basil and ripe yellow star fruit (carambola). Layered and textured, the wine is clean and fresh with flavours of ripe pineapple and a mild tannin note sitting over a layer of umami. Grown with love, made with care.

A perfect match with fatty fried food, pork belly, roast chicken, Vietnamese cuisine, seafood or a funky cheese. Vegan Friendly.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is a beautiful sunny day, although a little on the nippy side.  I can handle that as long as there is sun.  Some interesting days today.  The drink would be a bit too sweet for my tastes, but I'd like to sample it to decide.  The wine sounds good.  And dinner sounds good, too.  

@bennybear

Anniversary.jpg.ebe1e9607d1f45ce96e2a057e7863a0a.jpg

@sailingdutchy

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.1f0d2e3d62e8075983ecf8fede4e018a.jpg

This looks really good and it may be dinner sometime in the near future.  I would serve it over riced cauliflower to lower the carb count a bit.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/278411/steak-pepper-sugar-snap-stir-fry/

steakpepperandsnappeasstirfry1.png.27dbeb812eb0579876deef4b97f65d55.png

This one looks good as well, but there is a lot of sugar added in.  I'd need to leave that out or work around it somehow.  https://therecipecritic.com/pepper-steak-recipe/

steakpepperandsnappeastirfry2.thumb.jpg.638f006ca9b9b8b0a1ed83267d4cafd7.jpg

Ree Drummond uses snow peas instead of sugar snap peas for her stir fry.  I'd add in some broccoli.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/beef-with-snow-peas-recipe-3381538

steakpepperandsnappeastirfry3.thumb.jpeg.df7ea6415ca694b9d1182e865c4faeb2.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 18