The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday April 27th, 2024

Kings Day (The Netherlands)

Today is National Devil Dog Cakes Day, National Little Pampered Dog Day, and National Teach Your Children To Save Day

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us. --Helen Keller

Meal Suggestion for today - Shrimp and Cauliflower Bake
Drink of the Day - Creole Splash
Wine of the Day - Argiano-Brunello-Di-Montalcino
Destination of the Day - Ilulissat (Jakobshavn), Greenland

Today in History:
1810 Ludwig van Beethoven composes his famous piano piece "Für Elise"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 09:00 - 23:00

Nieuw Statendam

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canary Islands 07:00 - 23:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 04-30

Oosterdam

Souda-Chania, Crete Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 10:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Vancouver, Canada d1500

Zuiderdam

Takoradi, Ghana 08:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Muroran, Japan Iburi eta 04-29

• Like 16
  • Thanks 24

Hmm, interesting collection of days - I am not sure about devil dog cakes day 🤔 , my smallest dog is 65# but compared to her 125# brother she's little - does that qualify for pampering?🤷‍♀️ No children here to teach to save.

Pass on the meal & probably the drink, would try the wine, not been to Greenland but I do look forward to the pictures. 

The mechanic is supposed to be here today or tomorrow (more likely tomorrow) to see about the theft alarm. That's the entire list - too frustrated for anything else.

Only 3:30 am and already 72° - ugh - headed to rainy 81° w/flood watch; at least the tornado watch is expired.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240427_033644.thumb.jpg.c3829ab0245e3831cba8d3da591dfcda.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!  The temperature has been rising here since last night from the mid 50's to the present 61 degrees.  The high today will be 79 and cloudy for the most part.

I read on yesterday's Daily that many of us complained of having problems with getting on Cruise Critic late yesterday.  That included me and I usually use Chrome.  This morning Chrome still isn't working and I'm able to post today due to changing to Edge.  Good luck to you all and I hope someone is working on this problem for us.

Thank you Roy @rafinmd for the fleet location maps today and to Rich @richwmn for the content.  I noticed the ships in North America were on the move, but all over in Africa, Europe and Asia were moored and still.  A big celebration day for Holland America with Kings Day so enjoy that cruisers!  I think we have three good days to recognize with Devil Dog cakes, the little pampered dogs we might own, and teaching our children something important like saving.  An excellent quote by Helen Keller.  I'll have to think about the shrimp and cauliflower bake, no to the drink and I don't know about the wine yet.  A creative day in 1810 for Beethoven so good for him.  Thanks for all the reports today Tina @0106, Paul @kochleffel or Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard.  

Prayers this morning for the Care list from the Daily, family and friends, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the large group of hostages who are in bad shape I'm sure, and the troops at bases and at sea in the area.  It would be a great day to remove all of those listed from our Care list!  Praying for improvement in everyone's lives.🙏

But cheers to those with special events to celebrate 🎂 and cruising! 🚢  Welcome home to those returning.  Vanessa @JazzyV will let us know who all those people are.  Thank you so much Vanessa for taking care of the lists while you recuperate and rest up from your many months long ordeal!  You are doing a great job!

The port today is an interesting and brand new one.  Ilulissat (Jakobshavn), Greenland on the west coast of Greenland.  The glacier there is fascinating to see up close and personal, and it provides the many icebergs in Disko Bay.  We visited it in 2018 on Seabourn Quest and I think it was the best day of all the Greenland ports for us.  No links but I have to put together the photos and report back here.

Hoping everyone has a great Saturday today, so stay safe and keep well.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers I am using Chrome for this morning's posts - no issues. It was a little wonky yesterday w/duplicate posts & black pictures, but that seemed isolated to that specific time frame and was short lived.

I have not tried posting from my iPhone or computer - I'm using an Android phone.

• Like 26

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

I am using Pauline's phone as I could not get onto cruise critic with my phone.

3 excellent days and quote.

Kings Day in the Netherlands is important.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a great day.

Screenshot_20240427_095559.jpg

Screenshot_20240427_095627.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 17

Ilulissat (Jakobshavn), Greenland

What an experience visiting Ilulissat in 2018!  It’s the most popular tourist destination in Greenland and a World Heritage site.  Disko Bay is full of icebergs which calve off the glacier and it’s fairly shallow so they tend to stay put.  Our Seabourn Quest captain was a Russian mariner who was not afraid of a bunch of icebergs.  He wound our way into the bay fairly close so our tenders didn’t have to travel miles to the little dock in town.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

NOT big enough for a cruise ship!

We took a shuttle from the dock to a more centrally located area of the town.

From there we began our walk to see the glacier.  We had to walk a fair distance up a dirt road and came upon a sled dog habitat.

We soon arrived at the entrance to a boardwalk which would take us safely across the meadows to the Sermeq Kujalleq glacier, the UNESCO World Heritage.  I can’t imagine trying to walk that rough terrain without it.  This glacier is also called Ilulissat Glacier or Jakobshavn Glacier. 

I spotted a tent where someone was camping.

A mossy spot

And a cotton look-alike plant.

Approaching a rocky area

Really gorgeous scenery

The amazing glacier!

People sitting on the edge enjoying the scene

Reluctantly we headed back along the boardwalk and made our way to the dock via shuttle.  Enroute to the Seabourn Quest.

Stowaways on a chunk of iceberg

All cleaned up and ready for our 6 pm champagne/caviar/vodka party on deck.

My spot at the champagne table

Leaving Disko Bay that evening

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

It’s a beautiful day and a smooth Indian Ocean. Per Captain we now have traveled 25,500 nautical miles since leaving Port Everglades Jan 4.

We have had two pods of dolphins sightings today. First set were Spinner Dolphins and the second was a larger species.

We attended a lecture from our guest NASA astrologer and tonight will be Captain’s welcome followed by a male singing group who do 60’s rock and roll like Four Seasons.

We’ve all been tasked to keep our drapes shut and no light’s on balcony. Just precautionary as we are sailing in troubled waters with history of pirates and other bad guys.

Final census is 145 guest onboard and that will decrease as we reach other ports of call. In the meantime we have seven straight days at sea.

I have enjoyed sharing our great adventure with you all and hope all doing okay or better. Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Ilulissat (Jakobshavn), Greenland

What an experience visiting Ilulissat in 2018!  It’s the most popular tourist destination in Greenland and a World Heritage site.  Disko Bay is full of icebergs which calve off the glacier and it’s fairly shallow so they tend to stay put.  Our Seabourn Quest captain was a Russian mariner who was not afraid of a bunch of icebergs.  He wound our way into the bay fairly close so our tenders didn’t have to travel miles to the little dock in town.

NOT big enough for a cruise ship!

We took a shuttle from the dock to a more centrally located area of the town.

From there we began our walk to see the glacier.  We had to walk a fair distance up a dirt road and came upon a sled dog habitat.

We soon arrived at the entrance to a boardwalk which would take us safely across the meadows to the Sermeq Kujalleq glacier, the UNESCO World Heritage.  I can’t imagine trying to walk that rough terrain without it.  This glacier is also called Ilulissat Glacier or Jakobshavn Glacier. 

I spotted a tent where someone was camping.

A mossy spot

And a cotton look-alike plant.

Approaching a rocky area

Really gorgeous scenery

The amazing glacier!

People sitting on the edge enjoying the scene

Reluctantly we headed back along the boardwalk and made our way to the dock via shuttle.  Enroute to the Seabourn Quest.

Stowaways on a chunk of iceberg

All cleaned up and ready for our 6 pm champagne/caviar/vodka party on deck.

My spot at the champagne table

Leaving Disko Bay that evening

Interesting collection of photos Sandi.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

66 this AM with a high of 86 and more sunny skies.

Good selection of days as is the quote.

Though I’m not wild about cauliflower, I’d give the meal a try.

2 more weeks until our cruise on the Enchanted Princess to St. Thomas, San Juan and Princess Cays.

We finished in 3rd place and cashed in the last Men’s Golf Assn. tournament of the season. Tough scramble format with everybody teeing off from the Senior tees but for every birdie the team made we had to move back 1 tee box so by the 7th hole we played the rest of round from the back tees which was sort of brutal for some old fogies but we managed 3 more birdies and never made a bogie, if you did bogey a hole the team moved up a tee box. We wound up with a 65 which considering the game I thought we did quite well  but couldn’t believe when we were finished that the first place team shot 60, trust me, that was phenomenal.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30

Good morning from a rainy Southwestern Ontario - hey, it's better than snow.

Thanks for the Report.

Every day is Pampered Dog Day here.   I don't know about devil dog cakes and it's important to teach children to save, heck, adults need to do it too.

Love the quote.

Not sure about the meal or the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

I've never been to Greenland, thanks for the great pictures @StLouisCruisers

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a good day.

• Like 28

Good Saturday morning.  Thank you @kochieffel, Paul for the fantastic job you did with the drtink of the day while I was gone.

Creole Splash cocktail:

The Creole Splash cocktail is a unique and flavorful libation that brings the taste of New Orleans to your glass. Made with bourbon, peach schnapps, lemon juice, and grenadine, this cocktail is a perfect blend of sweet, tangy, and boozy flavors. The bourbon provides a rich and robust base, while the peach schnapps adds a luscious sweetness. The lemon juice adds a tart kick, and the grenadine brings a hint of sweetness and a beautiful crimson color. The Creole Splash cocktail is a popular choice for Mardi Gras celebrations, Southern-themed parties, or anytime you're craving a taste of the Big Easy.

Ingredients:

1/2 oz. lemon juice
2 1/2 oz. bourbon
.25 oz. grenadine
1 oz. peach schnapps

Directions:

In a mixing glass filled with ice pour all ingredients and mix well.
Strain into a chilled glass and garnish with a lemon twist.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 6.35.12 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 23

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Lazey1 with mitral stenosis, hoping to qualify for TMVR study

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck post angioplasty, needing a new stent

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Back Lobsternight

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye surgery went well

Rafinmd’s PSA trending down with therapy

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 23

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi! I really appreciate you standing in for Rich & Jacqui. Roy, thank you for our maps! I appreciate you standing in for Rich! Another glorious morning. No fawns this morning, but they sure entertained my dinner guests last night. They zoomed all over the place. 😎

Vanessa - 7hours of sleep. Woo Hoo!  May the healing, lack of pain & numbness and sleeping continue! Thank you for keeping up with us. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, dinner at a friends. I might hop in the pool after the gym. The water is already 88 - Dixie knows the importance of this number. 

IMG_2767.jpeg.d55517e62128ef2e24a7fb4bfc7200a7.jpeg

IMG_2772.jpeg.1ef2808443d5648d48d0d81807bad901.jpeg

IMG_2773.jpeg.fde5762332c4f4d0ef7991af6a28aef4.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Terry, thinking of you and Tana. Sorry your NH family left. 

Melissa, hope you are doing ok. It has been awhile since you checked in. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Argiano-Brunello-Di-Montalcino 2018

I have enjoyed some amazing wines, but I am fairly certain that I have never enjoyed anyone’s “wine of the year”.  So  I chose the 2018 vintage for that reason.

I would love to taste this. And if I fell in love, I might buy a bottle, even though it is outside of my budget. I do make exceptions. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $59.99.

Note: if you scroll to the end there is a nice bonus. Wine Spectator provides a link to their top wines lists!

95 Wine Spectator’s Best Wine of 2023!

Brunello di Montalcino 2018 

In the world of wine, a change of ownership or a stylistic paradigm shift can reap huge benefits, but there are always risks. In the case of Argiano, change has paid off in spades, as new owners arrived with a commitment to a return to a more traditional expression of Brunello. Reflecting more than $10 million in investment in the estate over a decade, the stellar quality of Argiano Brunello di Montalcino 2018 earns it Wine of the Year honors from Wine Spectator in 2023.

Argiano changed course in 2013, when Brazilian billionaire André Esteves and a group of investors purchased Argiano from Countess Noemi Marone Cinzano and Bordeaux-trained winemaker Hans Vinding-Diers, who wanted to focus on their project in Argentina, Bodega Noemía de Patagonia.

A relatively large property by Montalcino standards, Argiano is one of the region’s historic wineries. Its villa, recently restored, dates from 1581. The vineyards sit on a plateau in the central part of the Brunello zone, just west of the village of Sant’Angelo in Colle. The northern vineyard parcels—made up of alluvial clay, alluvial sandy silt and loam, with outcroppings of limestone and clay over a bed of limestone and marl—are planted to Sangiovese. The southern part of the estate is devoted to international grape varieties.

The 141 acres of vineyards consist of 54 acres designated for Brunello and 25 acres for Rosso di Montalcino. In 2014, 17 acres of Sangiovese were planted with a selection developed by Paolo de Marchi of Isole & Olena in Chianti Classico in conjunction with the French nursery Guillaume. The new projects fell under the direction of Bernardino Sani. He had interned in the cellar at Argiano in 2002, rejoining the Argiano team as sales and marketing director in 2012. At the beginning of 2014, he was appointed CEO.

In late 2014, Sani enlisted consulting enologist Alberto Antonini to work with his team of cellar master Adriano Bambagioni and vineyard manager Francesco Monari. The first task was cleaning the wine-aging cellar and investing in large casks of 1,000, 2,000 and 5,000 liters, plus 600-liter tonneaux to replace the barriques that were used to age both the classic Brunello and a single-vineyard Brunello bottling called Vigna del Suolo. (A new vinification facility had been built in 2000.)

The team then turned its attention to the vineyards. With the help of viticultural consultant Pedro Parra, the various parcels were mapped for soil type and composition and electromagnetic surveys were undertaken. The results provided a better understanding of how to manage each parcel, pinpoint any problem areas, determine harvest dates and plan micro-vinifications. They also eliminated fertilizers and pesticides to work organically, though the estate has not obtained certification. Since the change, Monari feels the vines’ vegetative growth and the grape quality have become more uniform.

The classic Brunello di Montalcino is a blend of six different parcels. (The Vigna del Suolo bottling, made since the 2016 vintage, comes from a 10-acre parcel of 60-year-old Sangiovese vines planted on pure limestone soils.) After harvesting, the grapes for the Brunello are chilled with carbon dioxide for a five- to six-day cold maceration. Fermentation takes place in cement vats with indigenous yeast, and maceration on the skins runs 20 to 21 days. After the malolactic conversion in cement, the new wine ages 3.5 years in 1,000-, 2,000- and 3,000-liter casks. The 2018 was bottled in May 2022.

The move to a traditional style infuses the Brunellos with greater purity and energy. Combined with the elegant 2018 vintage’s character, the classic Brunello features rose, strawberry and cherry aromas and flavors, along with wild herb, mineral and cut hay accents matched to a racy profile.

Sani is a big fan of the 2018 vintage. “Personally, I love 2018, it’s very classic,” he told me in October 2022, when I first tasted the Brunello di Montalcino and Vigna del Suolo 2018. That said, there were challenges up until the beginning of August, including a lot of rain in the spring. (Sani reported hail on July 15, but it affected the southern vineyards of the estate, where the international grape varieties are planted.) A north tramontana wind in the last week of September ushered in dry conditions and concentrated the grapes. It also led to cooler nights and perfect conditions to ripen the Sangiovese. The Argiano team began picking at the end of September, finishing by the second week of October.

“My goal is to have Argiano become an ambassador of Brunello di Montalcino again,” Sani confided when I visited in April 2016. With the investment in the cellar and vineyards, he has achieved that goal and more.

For its traditional expression of Brunello, its quality and its value, Argiano Brunello di Montalcino 2018 is not only a leading representation of the region, it’s our Wine of the Year.

—Senior editor Bruce Sanderson

Tasting Note

Rose, strawberry and cherry aromas and flavors are the main themes in this red, along with wild herb, mineral and cut hay accents. Racy and full of energy, with a long, saturated finish. Best from 2025 through 2042.

Special Designation:

Highly Recommended
Region:

Old-School Brunello 

The fresh, vibrant 2018 Sangiovese reds from Montalcino are a throwback to cooler vintages. Learn more about the vintage, and get senior editor Bruce Sanderson’s top-scoring Brunello di Montalcino bottlings.

Recipe Match: Bistecca Fiorentina 

You can't go wrong matching a top-notch expression of Tuscany's signature grape variety with the region's signature steak dish. Try this version from chef Nancy Silverton's Chi Spacca cookbook with Wine Spectator's 2023 Wine of the Year!

Know Your Grapes: Sangiovese 

Learn more about Tuscany's signature red grape variety, including its characteristics, where it’s grown, suggested food pairings and some other top producers in addition to the winery that made the 2023 Wine of the Year.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 19
  • Haha 3

Good Morning! I am unable to access Cruise Critic on my iPhone.  Just the white screen of death, perhaps something CC caught from the HAL website?🤣 I'd like to thank @marshhawk for answering my email late last night and offering to post my content if I couldn't post this morning.  I am currently using my laptop.  Any suggestions for fixing the iPhone.  I tried using different browsers.

Onward to the Meal of the Day: Shrimp and Cauliflower Bake

Cauliflower's mild flavor, satisfying texture and versatility makes it not only a hearty and nutritious add-in as is, but also a savvy swap for gluten-free, plant-based, and refined-carb-conscious eaters. It is rich in nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin K, folate, potassium & magnesium.

Sheet Pan Roasted Shrimp and Cauliflower with a Meyer Lemon Salsa   The shrimp and cauliflower are tossed in olive oil, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and Meyer lemon juice with just a pinch of crushed red pepper. I love an easy sheet pan recipe. After 13 minutes in the oven, the dish is topped with fresh salsa and dinner is on the table.

4SsnV0UpV9K40vYCmZ1vKuC-hjmQKr49lBhZsTnD7YDD0vbIYqlYfTOjPq_1FVJZEvl9GR6Wrnspqou7O7rJ2XZQUdRpymqJXyKJE3meA8sL5cgEG0G8sNOXXPtg7ibtgQ3icrj7e8sVk2snCFqC-dA

Shrimp and Cauliflower Bake  This quick and easy seafood casserole adds diced tomatoes and gets bright flavor from fresh dill and feta cheese.

R3WP5ZqjmA40MLqgoOTUC73LT03_npXo9HCUhpUWmG3qYX6KIJKoWA2ypJ4GWpxHlaZdcvFwMoVZo9X3YDVYCRIVeuM1UGMrbGLbkctXevTT5eXX4W48Sy1ctpBZlta2Vql3cWKArSvY7GN9ZI-0-GE

Cheesy Cauliflower and Shrimp is a very different recipe that has a base of soft, cheesy cauliflower puree topped with shrimp, in a buttery, herbed and spicy sauce

tluf299_34dYMwUhE7yBcoscOkD0vW-SW9ibE9ZUbGsIjkQrraKT-fvuh5IYRG2RBMlapKjFwPDjXtBHK9M9cdV6b3MivmBtYzyL2st0hdQBbiu2Fw9ZY5wWqTMO9MuAkE6GUv2Im6YkJoKFHLy0Am0

• Like 16
  • Thanks 19

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Still under a frost advisory with temperature getting up in the 50s. Tomorrow, it should be 80. Plans for today are taking Chase to the vet for his shots and maybe doing some yard work after grocery shopping. Then, again, I may just sit and relax today. The meal of the day sounds yummy. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Saturday Cat | Saturday quotes funny, Saturday quotes, Saturday humor

• Like 28

Posted (edited)

Cloudy and chilly, 30s going up to 60s. I like this weather!  Not hot! I missed a lot of yesterday, a blur of a day. Mostly I made calls to family. I slept well last night, first night in a week, it was time!  

Funeral services for my sister-in-law will be Tuesday. I’m impressed at how many of our cousins will make it. Today I’ll order flowers “from the siblings.” 

Thanks for the Greenland pix Sandi, what a beautiful day you had to visit!  
Graham, I love sitting in your car at the beach!  I just sit with it, feel it, smell the salt air!  Watch the clouds, the waves, a few people wander by sometimes, it’s a lovely respite!  Many thanks to you!  

Elizabeth, I’m sorry to hear your car is still not operating. I’m amazed you got a mechanic to make a house call. I’d have had to have AAA tow it I think. Good luck to all of that!  Such a nuisance you didn’t need. I hope you stay safe through the storms in the region. 

Blessings sent to all my family and friends!  Hoping for Gerry and Maurice!  I hope all the injuries are healing well, and all the discomforts are better today.
Thanks for your caring support. DH is doing great!  We’re keeping up with 7 daily eye drops plus two sets of massage sessions (gentle pressure at base of eye 10 seconds off/10 secs on for 2 minutes) to help move fluid through. The pressure has been high, much higher than last time but not “over the top”. We’ll go to local specialist Monday for the 1-wk check. 
We all have a new day to enjoy something! 
Maureen

Note: I’m using my iPhone SE without issues. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone from beautiful, sunny Ogunquit Maine.  Thanks for the daily dose of knowledge that we’re richer for.  I’ll celebrate devil dog cakes and teaching children to save.  Love Helen Keller’s quote and she’s right.  Think the meal and drink will get a pass from me today.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 28