Single occupancy cabins

I was speaking to an elderly neighbour last night who was interested in river cruising. However, as a single man,  he found them extortionately expensive as he'd have to pay double. 

Do any river cruise companies offer single cabins or reductions for single occupancy? Any ideas welcome.

Posted (edited)

Avalon sometimes waives the single supplement. If you look at the dates and prices of specific cruises, it'll say something like "single supplement waived". It's not hidden, but it is limited.

Gate 1 is also an option. At least one of their ships has single cabins. They're tiny, and in the aquarium, but reasonably affordable. They also have the occasional "no s/s" promotion, but you have to be on their email list. They often have promos offering a couple hundred dollars off, but once in a while I hit the jackpot where the entire single supplement is waived.  I don't know if those promos are valid in the UK.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

Hi @Nippy Sweetie

A good place to start is Riviera & Saga

"We’ve waived the single supplement on middle and upper deck cabins and suites across a large selection of our August and October classic river cruise departures in 2024."

No solo supplements on select river cruises in 2024 (rivieratravel.co.uk)

"Our solo travellers can enjoy the privacy of their own single cabin with 12 dedicated singles cabins on every Spirit of the Rhine and Spirit of the Danube cruise."

Solo River Cruises | Find your cruise | Saga Cruises

• Like 1

Basically everyone except Viking has some single cabins on some cruises at no or less than 100% single supplement. On most lines the standard single supplement for most cabins except for suites is 50%. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Basically everyone except Viking has some single cabins on some cruises 

If it's a single cabin then it must be there on all cruises. I don't think single cabins are that common; however many lines offer discounts , or scrap them entirely, on cabins for certain cruises at certain times, usually at short notice when they have unsold cabins.

Regarding Viking - their FAQs say "On occasion, Viking will make special solo traveler fares available."

But I'd suggest @Nippy Sweetie's friend looks first at Saga because he won't be the only solo traveller on the cruise, and because Saga include car transport between home and airport 

Edited by pontac

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Basically everyone except Viking has some single cabins on some cruises at no or less than 100% single supplement.

I really meant to say some cabins on some cruises. Actual single cabins are still not very common.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I've shared those links to him. He's a terrific chap and would be an asset on any cruise. Good company and a real old fashioned gentleman.

Avalon has a place on their site that shows all their cruises that waive single suppliments:

https://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise-deals/?computed_promotion_ids_sm=276319&sort=computed_itinerary_firstbestdiscountedprice_usd_tl%3Dasc

Also, look at Viva cruises.  Their prices are very reasonable and will discount for single travelers.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

AMA Waterways often waives single supplements and even has 5 & 7 top tables in the dining room to encourage solo travelers.

Edited by knoxclone
  • Thanks 1

Ama actually has some cabins designed for only one person. As others have said, Avalon has a limited number of cabins that they waive the supplement for. Those are the ones I am familiar with.

• Thanks 1

Tauck also has no-supplement solo rates.

European River Cruise for Solo Passengers | Tauck

"Solo Travelers enjoy Special Savings in Category 1 Cabins – No Single Supplement on all European River Cruises! The single price in Category 1 is the same as the double price, which means savings of up to 50% for solo travelers on every departure of every European river cruise!

In addition, Solo Travelers also enjoy Savings of $1,000 per cabin in Category 4 and 5 on select river cruises; you'll find all of the savings details under the pricing information for each river cruise here on our site (certain restrictions apply; ask at time of booking)."

• Like 1

A lot of people don't realize there are river cruise lines beyond Viking. They look at Viking's onerous solo pricing and conclude river cruising isn't for them. I've had good solo pricing on both Tauck and Uniworld. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sjde said:

I didn’t know of Amadeus. Doesn’t AMA ( Waterways) stand for Amadeus? 

I believe AMA was originally called Amadeus, but there was a trademark dispute and they were forced to change. So now AMA stands for “AMA.”

• Like 1

I've travelled with Riviera and Avalon as a solo traveller and have always had a double cabin with either reduced single supplement or none at all on the middle deck. I have booked direct and also via an agent who I recently found who got me an excellent late deal with Avalon. Riviera does also have "solo cruises" early and late season where every passenger gets a double cabin without supplement. My only quibble with these has been that many of the passengers are travelling as a pair e.g. friends, sisters, brothers, parent and child etc, so actually in effect a couple, just not a partnered up one taking advanatge of the extra cabin space. The number of what i would term true solo travellers is relatively low. I have not gone with Saga as I find their prices quite high and they don't include as many excursions as Riviera and Avalon.

Avalon has a search mechanism on the website to identify cruises with no single supplement and I have found it sometimes worth ringing Riviera to ask about availability that hasn't found its way onto the website.