Move up offer (are they kidding)

avic77

I just paid off my cruise and immediately got a move up offer. I booked my cruise and paid off at the same time as next week is final payment.

The move up offers are more then what I would have paid had I just booked those rooms in the first place!!!! Are they serious? 

• Like 2

I haven't checked what prices are on my cruise as its almost sold out but the move up bids were horrendous - I mean I could get a whole new cruise for the prices they had as a minimum bid

They are unlikely to let higher priced cabins sail empty.  This may be X's "opening bid" -- see if there are any takers.  Could be that, closer to sailing, the prices come down if there are still lots of open cabins.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, horseymike said:

The move up thing has become a money grab. 
The attitude they have if someone is willing to pay it , they will sure take it. $$$$

Exactly. 

=X= isn’t a community service organization focused on providing low cost vacations. If someone doesn’t do their homework (good job OP 😉), then Celebrity’s all too happy to accept their overbid. 

On the other hand, @avic77, there’s another thread floating around here where someone who had your same experience with ridiculous move up prices returned a week before sailing only to discover the bid rates were substantially less than previous, cancelled their original bid, rebid at lower rates and successfully won their upgrade. So remain diligent! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Oh no I booked 2 days go and the same rooms are available. I was just shocked that they sent a move up offer so fast and that they are more than what i would have booked in the first place. I guess move up is geared to people who maybe booked early and have decided they can spend more at the last minute.

Edited by avic77
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, avic77 said:

Oh no I booked 2 days go and the same rooms are available. I was just shocked that they sent a move up offer so fast and that they are more then what i would have booked in the first place. I guess move upp in geared to people who maybe booked early and have decided they can spend more at the last minute.

MoveUp is just another tool in the algorithm of inventory and maximizing revenue. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know many think that the move up is a great deal.  Personally I  have never seen it worth pursuing .   

I paid for a cabin where I am comfortable with the price that is in my budget.  Paying more than I wanted because it is a bargain to me isn’t a bargain.  

That is my input and opinion.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Exactly. 

=X= isn’t a community service organization focused on providing low cost vacations. If someone doesn’t do their homework (good job OP 😉), then Celebrity’s all too happy to accept their overbid. 

On the other hand, @avic77, there’s another thread floating around here where someone who had your same experience with ridiculous move up prices returned a week before sailing only to discover the bid rates were substantially less than previous, cancelled their original bid, rebid at lower rates and successfully won their upgrade. So remain diligent! 

I just went to check the page from the email I had a few weeks back, the starting bid has come down 

• Like 1

IMO, Move Up can be a good deal.  Say you booked cabin A at $1000 and the price for cabin B was $2000.  Move up offers it for $300 extra. You might be willing to pay $300, but not $1000. But I agree that, if the Move Up bid is close to or above the original price, it doesn’t make sense unless you’ve come into more money or just reconsidered your priorities.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had a great Move-Up offer when this program first became available, but nothing like it since.  It was an SV to a suite/S1 and it was quite low, but a price I thought was very fair.  I just count my blessings, know the price patterns and wait.  Of course, I do bid a low-ball at times.  People are spending crazy amounts(at least to me) nowadays to have it all.  What goes up will come down...supply/demand and the waiting game.  Inflation is alive and well!  Good luck to those of you who bid🥰

Edited by Lastdance
Let the games begin!
  • Like 4

Last Black Friday we were booking a C1 cabin when we noticed we could get A2 for C$25 pppd more. I’ve never seen a move up offer that low. Bonus - on Equinox A1 is under the pool deck so we prefer the A2 location. We’re really looking forward to the in-room yoga mats, and Blu should be nice too. 

• Like 1

Have never  done a move up bid. But  was shocked to see the required bid to Sky Suite from our concierge was only $500 pp for our cruise last month on Beyond. Didn't bid, but if I see it that low again will try it. 

I received the Move up offer.  I was booked in Aqua Class, to move to a suite would have cost me about 5k.   the move up offer for going to a suite started at $300 minimum bid and the different suites went up to a $750 minimum bid.   I felt it was a great opportunity to move up if they accepted my offer.   Yesterday I received my email saying they accepted my offer.  So now I am in an Aqua Sky Suite.  So for me I believe it was a great deal.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, aloanldy said:

I received the Move up offer.  I was booked in Aqua Class, to move to a suite would have cost me about 5k.   the move up offer for going to a suite started at $300 minimum bid and the different suites went up to a $750 minimum bid.   I felt it was a great opportunity to move up if they accepted my offer.   Yesterday I received my email saying they accepted my offer.  So now I am in an Aqua Sky Suite.  So for me I believe it was a great deal.

That's a good deal, mine the minimum bid is almost $2,000pp

all supply and demand. I just won a move up for $150 from veranda to Aqua Class for a 2 week cruise. Price to buy that cabin was around $1100. more

• Like 3

13 hours ago, horseymike said:

The move up thing has become a money grab. 
The attitude they have if someone is willing to pay it , they will sure take it. $$$$

That’s quite literally the point of the program. They aren’t running a charity…..

• Like 2

If  folks do not go for the high bids, the prices will fall..X does not want  empty cabins....ships do not make money with empties.. 

• Like 1