Silly question, but.......

We go on a cruise on June 8th,  I've looked on the app and am trying to figure out what time we are allowed to board. The ship departs at 4pm, but will we get notification of the time we can get on the ship?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, masonchar said:

I assumed that boarding was staggered, and you were given a time to board.

Thanks for the responses.

No longer are you given a time   Everyone does things differently. We prefer to board around 1 after all the crowds are gone

• Like 3

No boarding times. When you arrive at the port you go through security. If you have your medallion you go on the green lane, without the medallion you go on the blue lane for a short detour to pick up the medallion. Then it's off to boarding. Once boarding begins it goes fairly quick.

• Like 2

Not a silly question.  I wanted to know the latest I could board so I could do an excursion. Sailing is June 15 and I still don't know. My plans have changed so it no longer matters but it is  weird that I couldn't have that information by now.

I like to get on the ship early, like when boarding starts. Get a celebratory Prosecco at the nearest bar, get muster done, have lunch in the dining room and then just explore. 

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, Kat915 said:

Not a silly question.  I wanted to know the latest I could board so I could do an excursion. Sailing is June 15 and I still don't know. My plans have changed so it no longer matters but it is  weird that I couldn't have that information by now.

That information is not available until 11 days before your cruise.  This info can be found where you print your travel summary.

MedallionClass Boarding:

Your OceanReady Pass will become available on the Princess Cruises® App 11 days prior to the start of your cruise.

Please refer to your OceanReady® Boarding Pass in the Princess Cruises® App on your mobile device to see what time the check-in window starts and ends.

• Thanks 1

If we can manage to get to the port early (if we have stayed in a nearby hotel the night before) we try to be there by around 10:00 - 10:30 AM. It's then a fairly short wait to board and we get on in time to check in at our muster station, watch the safety video, and have lunch in MDR. I like starting with a nice sit down lunch and a glass of wine.

• Like 10

We had the Princess transfer in 2022, our first medallion cruise. Waiting at the airport to get the bus was frustrating but once at the pier we walked through security and kept on going they just kept flagging us along. Hope this Oct. is half as smooth same trip different ship. So not sure about times.

Is this a normal course now with the medallion?

14 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We had the Princess transfer in 2022, our first medallion cruise. Waiting at the airport to get the bus was frustrating but once at the pier we walked through security and kept on going they just kept flagging us along. Hope this Oct. is half as smooth same trip different ship. So not sure about times.

Is this a normal course now with the medallion?

Yes.  Sometimes getting through security may take a few minutes if trying to embark early but once through security the process is very quick especially if you are in the green lane (everything updated on the App).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kat915 said:

U.S. port? Latest check in around 90 minutes before scheduled sailing time. The cruise line is required to provide a passenger manifest to the authorities 60 minutes before sailing. Other ports, most likely similar regulations.

We sail from Southampton on the Sky Princess later in the year, sailing time is 4 p.m. and we are overnight in a hotel so I am going to book a taxi for 11 a.m. in the hope we arrive by 11.30 for embarkation as we are Elite status which gives us a luncheon onboard.

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

We sail from Southampton on the Sky Princess later in the year, sailing time is 4 p.m. and we are overnight in a hotel so I am going to book a taxi for 11 a.m. in the hope we arrive by 11.30 for embarkation as we are Elite status which gives us a luncheon onboard.

Your elite status does not get you a lunch in the MDR. Unless you are in Reserve class then there will be one MDR open and one line once the MDR fills people must wait for tables to finish 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Anyone gets lunch in the MDR, not just elite. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, startedwithamouse said:

Anyone gets lunch in the MDR, not just elite. 

I'd love to do that when I board the Discovery June 15th!  Much more relaxing than the lido on embarkation day. How long is it open that day?

1 minute ago, Tinknock50 said:

I'd love to do that when I board the Discovery June 15th!  Much more relaxing than the lido on embarkation day. How long is it open that day?

11:30am - 1:00pm when we've been on Discovery this year. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

We actually prefer an early lunch on shore rather than fight all the crowds who want to board at 11:00. By 1:00 their are no lines and we just walk right through 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

We actually prefer an early lunch on shore rather than fight all the crowds who want to board at 11:00. By 1:00 their are no lines and we just walk right through 

It can take some time for some people for some things to happen

18 hours ago, masonchar said:

I assumed that boarding was staggered

It definitely used to be that way.  Now it's more streamlined and it doesn't seem to be a thing any more.

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

have lunch in MDR. I like starting with a nice sit down lunch and a glass of wine.

Sometimes that seems like the best meal of the cruise, 'cause you're excited about the adventure ahead.  Plus, it seems like the food at that lunch is exceptional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Unless you are in Reserve class then there will be one MDR open and one line once the MDR fills people must wait for tables to finish 

I didn't know that.  We've been Ruby and Platinum, and always have gone directly to the Dining Room with no problem.  Maybe because we arrived rather early...?

When you get close to the cruise the app & travel summary will show a boarding window but it'll probably say something like 10:00am - 2:00pm which is the entire boarding window and everyone gets the same.