Late flight on disembarkation day.

yoj13

Some time ago, I think.I can remember Celebrity allowed passengers to stay onboard, have lunch and then disembark mid afternoon for a fee.  Does this service still exist or am I dreaming?   Our flight across the pond doesn't leave until 20.45 which makes it an extremely long wait in the airport so looking for ideas to fill the day in. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

You didn’t dream it, it does exist but only at certain ports. Which port are you sailing into? I know Southampton and Rome offer this but unsure what other ports. 

Celebrity does offer some excursions with drop off or you could look at booking a day stay at a hotel or hiring a car for the day with port collect and airport drop off.

Edited by chemmo

Oh thank you for the info.  It would be Fort Lauderdale.  The flight home is out of Miami.  We've done it quite a few times but usually we are on the 1715 BA flight and this one would be circa 21.00hours.  It's a long day, made even longer by the fact I hardly sleep the night before in case we sleep in!

15 minutes ago, yoj13 said:

Oh thank you for the info.  It would be Fort Lauderdale.  The flight home is out of Miami.  We've done it quite a few times but usually we are on the 1715 BA flight and this one would be circa 21.00hours.  It's a long day, made even longer by the fact I hardly sleep the night before in case we sleep in!

On our first cruise with Celebrity next year we have a late ( 18.15hrs ) flight from Miami and have booked an excursion that day that culminates in a drop off at MIA.  I have copied details and it is currently on flash sale with 30% off...    

Overview

Find out why Fort Lauderdale has been dubbed the Venice of America, as you journey by land and sea to discover the gems of this charming city, first on a scenic drive with several stops, and then on a custom riverboat.
Highlights

Board your bus and begin your adventure with a fantastic drive along the beachfront.
Stop at a viewpoint and have the chance to take off your shoes and feel the soft sand and cool water, probably one of the most amazing landscapes in Fort Lauderdale.
Stop by the Elbo Room, a beautiful bar and landmark that is sure to dazzle you.
Continue to Las Olas Blvd., where you can stroll down the famous pedestrian-friendly streets, browsing the local boutiques, shops, and art galleries.
Next, arrive at downtown Fort Lauderdale’s New River Docks, where a custom riverboat takes you on a narrated boat ride as you spot million-dollar yachts and mega-homes in this affluent part of the city. Maybe even spot a celebrity!
At the end of your time soaking in the sun, sea, and sites, your drive brings you to the Miami International Airport for your departure flight.

You're better off renting a car and doing stuff on your own or getting a hotel room. We always one or the other when in your circumstance. 

• Like 1

Another option is a website called dayuse.com     They have online booking of Day Use Hotels.  I had to use it in Dallas once due the FLL being under water with the flooding.   When I asked the Desk Agent at Hyatt about 1/2 day rate she said they didn't directly but if I booked with DayUse.com I could book a half day room.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Another option is a website called dayuse.com     They have online booking of Day Use Hotels.  I had to use it in Dallas once due the FLL being under water with the flooding.   When I asked the Desk Agent at Hyatt about 1/2 day rate she said they didn't directly but if I booked with DayUse.com I could book a half day room.

Along the same line is a website called resortpass.com. The OP should checkout all mentioned options and see what works best for them. 

Just now, 1025cruise said:

The extend your stay program doesn't exist in US ports due to the requirement of zero'ing down the ship.

Now that you mention this you'll notice that there are no cruiselines where cruises that are roundtrip US are multiple embarkation and disembarkation points, something that MSC in particular does in Europe. TBH while cruises of that nature provide alot of flexibility on embarkation and disembarkation ports the onboard experience is quite different when not everyone gets on and gets off all at the same time. 

3 hours ago, yoj13 said:

If you can find a Celebrity excursion with drop off to Miami, I would choose that option.  Getting from Fort Lauderdale to Miami can be slow, traffic is often quite heavy.

Having your luggage safely in the bus is a stress free way to end a vacation

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I have a late flight out of MIA this summer (price) and my plan is to just buy a club pass for my airline and hang out there for the day.

Please be aware that airline clubs only allow you to enter the lounge no earlier than THREE HOURS PRIOR to your scheduled departure time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rotoal said:

If you can find a Celebrity excursion with drop off to Miami, I would choose that option.  Getting from Fort Lauderdale to Miami can be slow, traffic is often quite heavy.

Having your luggage safely in the bus is a stress free way to end a vacation

Never more than 60 minutes. It's really not that big of a deal. An excursion with Celebrity would still end waaaay before their scheduled departure time. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Since when? I've never had that restriction before.

It's always been that way. The airport lounges won't allow you to check-in since they have to see your boarding pass.So for example with the OP. If they got to the airport at say, noon, no airport lounge is going to allow them in when their boarding pass says their flight time is 9:00PM. Which lounge are you looking to enter?

Edited by kwokpot

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Looks like American and United are the exceptions, otherwise Delta, AMEX Centurion and Priority Pass limit to three hours prior. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Along the same line is a website called resortpass.com. The OP should checkout all mentioned options and see what works best for them. 

I just checked resortpass.com and they have a dayroom at Marriott Miami airport hotel for $125/2 people which is good from 10am-5pm chich would would align perfectly with the OP's schedule AND they have a free airport shuttle. IF I were the OP I would signup with resortpass and sign up for this right away. What's excellent about this arrangement is that the dayroom pass spells out the exact time you have a room. Booking a standard room and just checking out early may not guarantee an early check-in, while this option does.There are other hotels that offer a day room with the same guaranteed hours. One could choose a property on Miami Beach since you literally have the whole day and can enjoy the beach, lunch, early dinner.

I would view this as a no brainer.

Agree with others about planning something to do to pass the dat. We were on the Ascent in March and asked about the staying onboard for a fee.  Told not doing that. Then we made the mistake of thinking we could drop our bags off at FLL airport and find a mall/restaurant or something. FLL apparently recently started a program that will not accept bags later than 2 hrs before departure but they also will not accept them before 3 hrs before departure time There was a storage room but they were filled

Very few seats and no restaurants on check in side. Made for a very long day

22 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Looks like American and United are the exceptions, otherwise Delta, AMEX Centurion and Priority Pass limit to three hours prior. 

Interesting. It’s been a few years but I was definitely in the Delta lounge more than 3 hours before my flight to BCN.

18 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Interesting. It’s been a few years but I was definitely in the Delta lounge more than 3 hours before my flight to BCN.

I can't say it's exactly 3 hours, but I've certainly gotten stuck sitting in airports when we tried to check in this far ahead of time.  kwokpot is correct; there are limitations on when you can check in and you can't go to the airport lounge until you check in. 

Unless there have been some recent changes which I have missed, Alaska Airlines will not accept luggage until four hours prior to the booked flight.

And Delta is an airline which has tightened their rules regarding lounge access.  Just purchasing a first class ticket on Delta will not allow lounge access.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is the lounge access thing in the US or everywhere? I have 9 hours to kill in July flying to the UK and last time they never stopped me going in early. Luggage I get but I was doing a connecting flight (connected in Toronto)

Edited by Lena11033