Storing luggage underneath bed limitation.

Hello everyone.  On the cruise, when we tried to store our luggage underneath our bed (which was put together), we found many bedding linens/sheets/blankets already stored underneath there, leaving not much room for our luggage. The stateroom attendant told us that he put them there to prepare for the next cruise. This was not on the last night or at the end of the cruise, but on the very first day when we boarded the ship. I asked him to take them away so we could put our luggage underneath, but he wouldn't. Is it normal for the stateroom attendant to do this? Has anyone successfully requested them to take it away?
Thanks

4 minutes ago, StrikeEagle said:

Hello everyone.  On the cruise, when we tried to store our luggage underneath our bed (which was put together), we found many bedding linens/sheets/blankets already stored underneath there, leaving not much room for our luggage. The stateroom attendant told us that he put them there to prepare for the next cruise. This was not on the last night or at the end of the cruise, but on the very first day when we boarded the ship. I asked him to take them away so we could put our luggage underneath, but he wouldn't. Is it normal for the stateroom attendant to do this? Has anyone successfully requested them to take it away?
Thanks

No, that is not normal and I would have put the plastic bag out in the hallway if I had gotten that response !  Unfortunate that you received that response.

We ALWAYS remove the duvet that is in the plastic bag and use it on our bed as a comforter during the day (for naps).  With that out of the way, the plastic bag is pretty much empty and the plastic bag is not really a problem anymore.

I completely understand that the "kit" (as they call it) is to prepare them for the next turnaround...but that's not my problem.  It's not as if they don't have access to another duvet !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RFerrington said:

No, that is not normal and I would have put the plastic bag out in the hallway if I had gotten that response !  Unfortunate that you received that response.

We ALWAYS remove the duvet that is in the plastic bag and use it on our bed as a comforter during the day (for naps).  With that out of the way, the plastic bag is pretty much empty and the plastic bag is not really a problem anymore.

I completely understand that the "kit" (as they call it) is to prepare them for the next turnaround...but that's not my problem.  It's not as if they don't have access to another duvet !

Thank you,  that happened to us on the last cruises on Harmony and Ovation.

• Like 1

I’ve noticed the bags of linens under the bed but we could always fit our two suitcases and carryons so it hasn’t been a problem.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

In our experience there has often been some bed things (blankets mainly) under the bed, but they were not in the way of our two large suitcases and smaller carryon's being able to fit underneath with them.  We have always stored our luggage there and never had an issue.  Most recent experience was NYE Oasis.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Bag/Bags of Linen are always under my Bed during Cruise, been this way since Pre-CV. My Luggage is too thick and does fit anyway, it's the style with spinner wheels sticking out, so it goes in the Closet

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tamom said:

I’ve noticed the bags of linens under the bed but we could always fit our two suitcases and carryons so it hasn’t been a problem.

Agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrikeEagle said:

Thanks

For us, having bags of linens under the bed is kinda normal. It is usually twin duvets and twin sheeting if the beds were to be separated. It is a small bag and have never had problems storing 3 [large] suitcases under our bed with the bag of bedding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamom said:

Same here.  Just push the steward's stuff toward the wall and you should have plenty of room.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

In our experience there has often been some bed things (blankets mainly) under the bed, but they were not in the way of our two large suitcases and smaller carryon's being able to fit underneath with them.  We have always stored our luggage there and never had an issue.  Most recent experience was NYE Oasis.

Same. We travel with three 26" soft sided and haven't had any issues fitting them under the bed. But if we did, I would have done as @StrikeEagle did and if I received that answer I would have done what  @RFerrington would have done. 

• Like 2

We’ve been able to get 4 large 25 inch suitcases under the bed even with the linen they store under there. It is a pain sometimes to push the linen all the way to the back under the head of the bed but it can be done. 

I wouldn’t have liked that answer either although I do try not to make extra work for the stewards. I can see especially with more then 2 in a room that you might need extra room under the bed.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I wouldn’t have liked that answer either although I do try not to make extra work for the stewards. I can see especially with more then 2 in a room that you might need extra room under the bed.

I won't make excuses for the stewards but my observation has been that they are under strict orders to do things a certain way, and any exceptions need to get supervisor approval. For example, replacing a pillow requires approval.

Our last cruise we were in a loft suite with two attendants, but on boarding day the room was not ready when the announcement was made. The attendant apologized (it wasn't a big deal since she let us leave our luggage in the room while she cleaned it) and later in the cruise told us it happened because too many guests vacated late at the end of the prior cruise. I noticed during the week that their supervisor was hanging out in the corridor giving all of the attendants commands - it seemed like they were being micromanaged and not in an efficient way at all.

So of course tipping is discretionary but I would not necessarily reduce the tip for something like refusing to remove the linens from under the bed because they probably would get in trouble for doing it without approval.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StrikeEagle said:

Thanks

Just toss it in the hallway at night!

I cannot believe some of these responses!! 

There has been linen under our beds on almost every cruise we have taken in the past few years. We just move it over and still have plenty of room for our suitcases.  

If it is there I can guarantee it is because of a direct order the steward has been given. They don’t put it under there just to aggravate you because I am sure they love to hear you rant!!  

But for some of you “demanding” it be removed or tossing it out in the hall is just shameful and disrespectful and using this as an excuse to take away tips just because you didn’t get your way is just unbelievable!!!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We have never had a problem fitting our luggage under the bed. Most recently (May) we had 3 large 29" TravelPro's under our bed in a SurfSide Suite on Icon as did our extended family next door in the same category. No problem including having our steward remove the RCI robes from the closet.

We travel with two 26" suitcases and two 20" carryons.  The carryons go inside the suitcases and both easily fit underneath the bed even with a bundle of extra bedding underneath.  We've never had any problem.

Question for @StrikeEagle did you try adjusting the bag of linens and blankets to accommodate your cases.

8 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Not sure how often you cruise, but it is very normal. Extremely rude to put it out in the hallway. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

I cannot believe some of these responses!! 

There has been linen under our beds on almost every cruise we have taken in the past few years. We just move it over and still have plenty of room for our suitcases.  

If it is there I can guarantee it is because of a direct order the steward has been given. They don’t put it under there just to aggravate you because I am sure they love to hear you rant!!  

But for some of you “demanding” it be removed or tossing it out in the hall is just shameful and disrespectful and using this as an excuse to take away tips just because you didn’t get your way is just unbelievable!!!

I agree with you, linens/comforters have been under the bed for a long time and we still manage to get two large suitcases under the bed.  Demanding and tossing it out in the hallway is just wrong.  The stewards are doing what they have been told to do.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

using this as an excuse to take away tips just because you didn’t get your way is just unbelievable!!!

The issue isn't that the linens are under the bed.  The issue is that the attendant didn't accommodate the guest request.  

• Like 4