How is Celebrity handling Florida rain issues?

Posted (edited)

I don't know the whole cruise schedule, but I believe at least one Celebrity ship is due to sail tomorrow out of Lauderdale.  I've read on other forums that many people expected to fly into Florida today or yesterday for sailings this Friday.  Flights cancelled, no options to book flights in other cities and drive, rental cars not available, potentially not being able to reach the port area if driving, etc..  I'm wondering if anyone has heard if Celebrity is planning to make any accommodations to help - maybe delaying embarkation or remaining in port for an extra day?  it also could seriously impact those leaving.  Will roads be passable and will scheduled flights be cancelled or delayed?  

Thankfully I am not affected but I feel for those who are.  Curious as to whether Celebrity has contacted passengers onboard or due to embark about this at all?

ps

Please let's not get into a bunch of posts talking about how people should buy insurance, or how everyone should fly in at least a day ahead (many planned to do just that - if not two days).  That's not the point of this posting.  Thank you.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

This isn’t the first time they have had heavy rain in Florida, I’m sure they will figure it out..

The rainfall is in fact at record levels and the state has declared a state of emergency.  And I'm curious how it's being handled, if at all.  Asking for details on how "they will figure it out".

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't know the whole cruise schedule, but I believe at least one Celebrity ship is due to sail tomorrow out of Lauderdale.  I've read on other forums that many people expected to fly into Florida today or yesterday for sailings this Friday.  Flights cancelled, no options to book flights in other cities and drive, rental cars not available, potentially not being able to reach the port area if driving, etc..  I'm wondering if anyone has heard if Celebrity is planning to make any accommodations to help - maybe delaying embarkation or remaining in port for an extra day?  it also could seriously impact those leaving.  Will roads be passable and will scheduled flights be cancelled or delayed?  

Thankfully I am not affected but I feel for those who are.  Curious as to whether Celebrity has contacted passengers onboard or due to embark about this at all?

ps

Please let's not get into a bunch of posts talking about how people should buy insurance, or how everyone should fly in at least a day ahead (many planned to do just that - if not two days).  That's not the point of this posting.  Thank you.

Try asking on the current Roll Call.  They are most likely to have up to date communications.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that Celebrity will sail as scheduled and will not be making any accommodation. 

Last year we got stuck mid-flight in Dallas after FLL went underwater and was closed.   It took us 2 days to get to Fort Lauderdale and luckily we had planned to arrive early.   We arrived at 2AM on the day of our cruise. 

Even with the airport being closed for 1 1/2 days no changes or accommodation were made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I hope you bought trip insurance.  As Jim said, most likely won't make any accommodations unless there is a named hurricane approaching. Sorry we couldn't be more hopeful.

We're on The Beyond leaving Saturday.....fingers crossed everything goes as planned.....fyi, zero communication from Celebrity, not that I was expecting any....just responding to the questions posed above.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

I hope you bought trip insurance.  As Jim said, most likely won't make any accommodations unless there is a named hurricane approaching. Sorry we couldn't be more hopeful.

The OP isn't impacted by this weather event but was curious as to how Celebrity will respond to the situation.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

This isn’t the first time they have had heavy rain in Florida, I’m sure they will figure it out..

Unless there is a hurricane, rains come and go pretty quickly. Rain won't hinder sailing, but may impact those who fly in the day of. Celebrity will sail on scheduled with or without you onboard.

Ps. Even though you said not to......Key takeaway, best to get in the night before so you don't miss the ship! Oh, and buy insurance!

Edited by CaroleSS
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

Unless there is a hurricane, rains come and go pretty quickly. Rain won't hinder sailing, but may impact those who fly in the day of. Celebrity will sail on scheduled with or without you onboard.

Ps. Even though you said not to......Key takeaway, best to get in the night before so you don't miss the ship! Oh, and buy insurance!

The night before might not be a good option this go around ..as future cast on the weather channel shows lots of storms all day tomorrow (Friday), with them blowing out Friday night.

Another option is to fly into Orlando and take the Brightline train to Fort Lauderdale or Miami. The Brightline Orlando station is adjacent to MCO airport Terminal C. We took the train to our cruise in April and it was very convenient. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am boarding the Reflection tomorrow. I will be driving over from Naples. I haven't heard anything fron celebrity. There are pockets of pretty severe flooding, mostly bordering and south of the airport. Some areas with 20 inches of rain, alot of stranded cars. My only concern is parking. I may forfeit my surface lot choice I made months ago and park directly at the port instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm wondering if anyone has heard if Celebrity is planning to make any accommodations to help - maybe delaying embarkation or remaining in port for an extra day?

The only "help" Celebrity will provide is if the airline tickets were booked through Celebrity.  Any travel to the port booked on your own is your issue to deal with.

ZERO chance they delay departure more than a few hours because there would be a ripple effect across all subsequent cruises on Beyond.  There is no way they simply start rescheduling every voyage on the one ship to accomodate bad weather on one sailing.  Not to mention those who are booked on excursions, other cruises, other events after the cruise (similar to land excursion in Alaska) and anything else that would be affected by a delay decision.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cruisetime5 said:

I am boarding the Reflection tomorrow. I will be driving over from Naples. I haven't heard anything fron celebrity. There are pockets of pretty severe flooding, mostly bordering and south of the airport. Some areas with 20 inches of rain, alot of stranded cars. My only concern is parking. I may forfeit my surface lot choice I made months ago and park directly at the port instead.

sounds like a good plan to park in the garage at the port...upper level!

we stayed in Dania Beach before our last cruise,  and heard the area had flooding.

hope weather abates... we were in drought in Venice Fl, but  had enough now!

good luck to all!

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

ps

One of the many reasons we fly in the day ahead, however I do wonder if those who booked flights through X vs on their own are getting better assistance even though it seems as all the other area airports are in the same predicament. 

3 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I do wonder if those who booked flights through X vs on their own are getting better assistance

I know that a half dozen passengers who had booked airfare through X for their trip to Alaska on my sailing on Summit got stopped cold in Dallas/Ft Worth the day before sailing by the same kind of severe storms as what is going on in FL right now. X did assist them but they had to catch up to us in Juneau as they did miss the departure from Seward due to a lack of flights to get them there in time for sailing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Orator said:

Problem with booking a cruise during rain/hurricane season. I booked the same cruise!

After many years of flying in to Florida we have come to the conclusion that there is no ‘safe’ time to cruise! We thought the year we booked for towards the end of March would be safe but nooooo. Heavy snowfalls closed most Eastern Airports including our link one, Philadelphia. We ended up crossing the pond on three legs instead of two via Fort Worth and arriving a day late in Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale and without our luggage….Fortunately we always fly in with at least two nights to spare…

Op I think you may have done a lot of readers a favour by highlighting this. Many travellers don’t realise the possible impact of the weather on their travel plans and that no one is there to hold their hand. Fortunately we do follow the weather and posted for advice on CC about the likelihood  of Philadelphia closing and some great locals gave us the heads up the airport was shut well before the airline officially cancelled the flight. Hence we were searching alternatives and first on the phone as the flight was officially cancelled. We were very grateful we had been alert and for the advice of the good people who took the trouble to help us here on CC.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are booked on Beyond starting the 23rd.  Because of the 4:00 PM sailing, we are on a  flight to Ft. Lauderdale two days before.  

• Like 3

Speaking of parking, when I drive to a port, I always park on the second level or higher in the parking deck when I park, due to heavy rain possibility. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

ps

Sorry but why exactly are we not supposed to discuss planning for weather or other events when traveling?  This is exactly the reason that people have insurance.  Isn’t it a good idea to arrange an early flight if you know there is a weather event? 

34 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Isn’t it a good idea to arrange an early flight if you know there is a weather event? 

But how would I have known six months ago when I booked a flight for this weekend that Florida would have record rain and severe flooding? 🤨

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sorry but why exactly are we not supposed to discuss planning for weather or other events when traveling?  This is exactly the reason that people have insurance.  Isn’t it a good idea to arrange an early flight if you know there is a weather event? 

Because it was not the point of this question.  Usually when people discuss these types of travel issues they are bombarded with lectures about how they should have gotten travel insurance,  how they should have flown in the day before and on and on.  Again, not what I was asking so I was hoping not to detract from the actual question.  Those points are valid, but not what I was asking.  Obviously I can't prevent people from going there.  But I wanted to focus specifically on what was happening in Florida now.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

ps

The Port of Miami and Port Everglades are open and operating normally.  Reflection is the only Celebrity ship set to sail today (Port Everglades) and she is apparently slated to have a Perfect Day at Coco Cay tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.91830a9988ee7ce25870a404a3122059.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1