Diamond and Above Beverage Package Discount

IMO the reason they are offering a discount to diamond and above for beverages is I bet many D, D+ and pinnacles say hey I get this many free, it's not worth paying for the drink package at full price. Below Diamond you dont get free drink daily vouchers. It's those D and above who need a extra discount to make it worth buying. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SEA DOGY said:

I’m wondering if you bring a bottle of wine to a restaurant if you are D+ will they charge a corkage fee and how much ? TIA

We haven’t been charged a corkage fee in a decade on rccl and we always bring on two bottles. Also you get 40 percent off wines under a hundred and rccl has a nice selection , we have been happy with wines that cost 80 -90 before discount and I am picky about wine.

Edited by George C

3 hours ago, twangster said:

In the old days the best DX sale pre-cruise was typically 30% so it was always 50/50 to pre-purchase as a D+.

Now, DX sales are all over the map.  There are sometimes better than 30% deals pre-cruise.  It all depends on your ship and sail date.

Equally important, now that D+ get five free drinks, every D+ needs to validate if buying a package is even necessary.  Five free drinks plus five to six purchased drinks, everyday is loosely the break even point for a D+.  Will you each drink ten or eleven drinks every single day?

If so that great but that is just the break even point at which you really need eleven to twelve drinks plus per day to gain any benefit.  If you have a port intensive cruise that may be challenging.  

As a P with six drinks per day I tried the DX once and it was impossible to drink enough (for me).  Now I just drink as I feel like it and if I end up charging one or two drinks per day on select days without a package I'm still way ahead.  

Got it 

thank you 

• Like 1

Snagged it last night for our Navigator October cruise for $59.99 which I was happy about. Problem is we are now Diamonds and at that point where we could possibly save money by not getting it. As one of the previous posters said when you figure in, sodas, specialty coffees, waters and sports drinks it still may be worth it. I do like my cocktails and will average 6-8 per day so on this next cruise I am going to keep track of everything I dink to make a decision whether getting the package makes sense or not, once we get to D+ it’s a no brainer.

• Like 1

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Snagged it last night for our Navigator October cruise for $59.99 which I was happy about. Problem is we are now Diamonds and at that point where we could possibly save money by not getting it. As one of the previous posters said when you figure in, sodas, specialty coffees, waters and sports drinks it still may be worth it. I do like my cocktails and will average 6-8 per day so on this next cruise I am going to keep track of everything I dink to make a decision whether getting the package makes sense or not, once we get to D+ it’s a no brainer.

Good thing you bought it when you did.  The prices are back to “normal” today.  Short sale…probably b/c it actually WAS a sale !

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I am going to keep track of everything I dink to make a decision whether getting the package makes sense or not, 

Add a column "I would have bought it without the DBP" or "I only got it because I had the DBP".

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Good thing you bought it when you did.  The prices are back to “normal” today.  Short sale…probably b/c it actually WAS a sale !

Yes I got lucky as I did not see this thread I just happened to check because I look daily.

29 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Add a column "I would have bought it without the DBP" or "I only got it because I had the DBP".

Good advice. I think about that. If I did not have the package would I make decisions based on do I really need or want that. My guess is if I didn’t have the DDP I probably would drink more conservative than if I had the package.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I got lucky as I did not see this thread I just happened to check because I look daily.

Good advice. I think about that. If I did not have the package would I make decisions based on do I really need or want that. My guess is if I didn’t have the DDP I probably would drink more conservative than if I had the package.

I could be wrong but you seem to like your drinks. I think for you I bet it makes sense. For me just coffees and fresh OJ and vitamin water, sometimes a soda it wouldnt. Tried it twice and hardly used it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Curious why one more drink a day as a D+ makes it a no brainer. I have been D+ for awhile now and I still buy the deluxe drink package more often than not, because I drink a lot of water, Powerade, Pellagrino, etc. every day. When I don’t get the package I find myself really paying attention to how many water bottles I buy, I skip Pellagrino at meals, I don’t buy Powerade when going to the gym which o do every day, etc. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I could be wrong but you seem to like your drinks. I think for you I bet it makes sense. For me just coffees and fresh OJ and vitamin water, sometimes a soda it wouldnt. Tried it twice and hardly used it.

I do find I drink less on sailings with more ports. I drink more when I am on sailings with multiple sea days.

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Curious why one more drink a day as a D+ makes it a no brainer. I have been D+ for awhile now and I still buy the deluxe drink package more often than not, because I drink a lot of water, Powerade, Pellagrino, etc. every day. When I don’t get the package I find myself really paying attention to how many water bottles I buy, I skip Pellagrino at meals, I don’t buy Powerade when going to the gym which o do every day, etc. 

Only that I know on an average how much I drink. 5 for me would be the magic number. I do probably need to drink more water but I do like my diet cokes and I drink one in the morning as opposed to coffee. I do like a good espresso in the evening with dessert at dinner.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You are making the mistake a lot of people make concerning the deluxe drink package. The package includes a lot more than just alcoholic drinks. It includes water, soda, coffee, sports drinks, etc. For example, on a cruise in the Caribbean I usually drink 10-12 bottles of water a day, several Powerade zeros while and after working out every day, and 5-6 Pellagrinos at dinner. In the morning it is easy to drink 3-4 Mimosas since they are on the small side, and now you are down to 1-2 drinks left if you are D+ like me. The bottom line when deciding if the deluxe drink package is worth it, you have to consider everything you drink on a daily basis, not just alcohol. 

Great way to save money is to buy a water bottle and fill at the Windjammer or have bartender do it.  

We are D+ and 5 drinks is plenty a day especially if staying in a suite.

Coffee can be obtained from the C&A lounge.

I jog for 1 hour daily on cruises plus lift every other day and walk around ship a lot and I couldn't even manage 10-12 bottles of water a day, several Powerades plus 6 pellegrinos on top of the other drinks.  I would be in fluid volume overload or would have to wear a foley bag.  

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Great way to save money is to buy a water bottle and fill at the Windjammer or have bartender do it.  

My problem with water on the ship is I have seen too many videos online and been on a couple of behind the scenes tours.  To no put it mildly the water looks pretty nasty. I am sure it is safe to drink, but I would not drink anything except bottle water on a cruise. 

Since I was a kid I have always sweated a lot so I have to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. When I am home playing tennis, I usually drink a dozen bottles of water during a match (1.5 - 2 hours). So just on water alone the deluxe drink package is a big plus, not to mention alcoholic drinks. This may not make sense to non-drinkers, but you can start drinking early in the morning, drink all day into the night only drinking one drink per hour, and oonever have more than a slight buzz and easily drink 10-12 alcoholic drinks. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My problem with water on the ship is I have seen too many videos online and been on a couple of behind the scenes tours.  To no put it mildly the water looks pretty nasty. I am sure it is safe to drink, but I would not drink anything except bottle water on a cruise. 

Since I was a kid I have always sweated a lot so I have to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. When I am home playing tennis, I usually drink a dozen bottles of water during a match (1.5 - 2 hours). So just on water alone the deluxe drink package is a big plus, not to mention alcoholic drinks. This may not make sense to non-drinkers, but you can start drinking early in the morning, drink all day into the night only drinking one drink per hour, and oonever have more than a slight buzz and easily drink 10-12 alcoholic drinks. 

Yes, I am not a big drinker and usually will get Coke zeros for dinner rather than a glass of wine or a cocktail.  I didn't think of that difference.

I am still alive after drinking the ship water.  Flavoring it works as well.

On 6/14/2024 at 8:36 AM, firefly333 said:

Have you considered buying a case of water that is delivered to your cabin. I think its listed under gifts but I could be wrong where its listed. It's not listed with the packages that are daily charges, this is a one time charge.

Also of course you can carry on power aide, 12 per cabin, carry on only. 

For me the pkg woukdnt be worth a daily charge, but everyone is different. Many buy a case of water to be delivered usuallynbosrding day.

I also get 3 bottles of free water I always give away. I like carbonated water or ice water. I prefer ship water with ice to free bottled water. It's hard for someone to suggest to someone else, we are all so different. 

I also prefer the ship's regular ice water than bottled.   But I don't drink bottled at home or anywhere I travel unless in a country where water is questionable.  Most countries now have safe water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

I also prefer the ship's regular ice water than bottled.   But I don't drink bottled at home or anywhere I travel unless in a country where water is questionable.  Most countries now have safe water.

I also have no problem with drinking the water supplied by the ship for any meals , after 80 cruises I am still alive and kind of functioning 😁😁😁.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Please don't hate me for saying this, but the prices for drink packages on RCCL are crazy high, in my opinion.

I sailed on a MSC Cruises ship out of NYC recently and their mid-level drink package was $20 per day/per person. I know that most people wouldn't jump to another cruise line just for the cheap drink package, but I wanted to give you another point of reference as you consider the "sale" price of RCCL's drink packages.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

mid-level drink package

I don't buy any drink package but make sure you're comparing apples to apples. I don't know what's included in that but pretty much every mixed drink using top shelf liquor if you want it is included with the DBP at RC.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I was on the fence about buying it for my Utopia sailing and went in this morning and poof, back up to over $80 from $68.  Oh well, it probably saved me money (and my liver) by not buying it

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

"I only got it because I had the DBP".

To me, that's the best selling point of the DBP. The ability to try new drinks I normally wouldn't buy. And if I don't like it, I can toss it without feeling like I just threw away $14.

And there is always a new drink.😁

Edit: Otherwise,  I normally break even with the DBP, give or take a few dollars either way.

Edited by HBE4

18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

This may not make sense to non-drinkers, but you can start drinking early in the morning, drink all day into the night only drinking one drink per hour, and oonever have more than a slight buzz and easily drink 10-12 alcoholic drinks. 

Agreed.  

I can have 2 drinks at lunch, 2 mid-afternoon, 2 with dinner & 2 in the evening*

8 drinks in a 12 hour period. If anything, I'm more bloated than buzzed. Helps on cutting down on eating unhealthy foods. 😄

* this is the minimum, there may be more.

22 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

This is why I, as D+, usually purchase the refreshment package, but never the Deluxe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This is why I, as D+, usually purchase the refreshment package, but never the Deluxe

We usually do this too! Since we also get complimentary champagne, we make our own mimosas, and always order bottled water since we heard that the ship's water uses a saline solution (or something like that) to purify its water, which is part of the reason for leg/feet swelling. To each his own, though. Cheers!