Bringing diet soda on for medically approved diet?

I know that NCL does not allow you to bring on your own beverages. I am on a medically approved diet and do not like Diet Coke. Only diet orange. Do you know if NCL ever makes exceptions and allows someone to bring on their own diet soda?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, cruiseagona said:

I know that NCL does not allow you to bring on your own beverages. I am on a medically approved diet and do not like Diet Coke. Only diet orange. Do you know if NCL ever makes exceptions and allows someone to bring on their own diet soda?

Doubtful.  Maybe if it were medically required, but that is also doubtful.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Unless diet orange is specifically "required" for your health, I don't see it happening.

Especially since diet soda (of any flavor) is not healthy for anyone.

As far as not liking Diet Coke, that's not a legitimate reason...that's a preference. I don't like Bud Light, but they won't allow me to bring on my own REAL beer. 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 5
  • Haha 8

I think they would view this as a preference for orange soda, not a medical necessity.  If you do not like Diet Coke, there is Sprite zero available, there is also unsweetened iced tea and water available.

Posted (edited)

You could bring some Mio or Crystal light to add to water or club soda.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, stinkyharriet said:

The buffet has unsweetened flavored waters that are really nice.  

Unfortunately those are one of the drinks that I despise. Due to past medical "stuff" I am very picky about what I like.

1 hour ago, KKB said:

You could bring some Mio or Crystal light to add to water or club soda.

Yes, I do bring crystal light. I do like that. Just looking for more variety. Thanks..

• Like 1

Trying contacting the special needs department. I am sure they will be helpful. Just explain you can only drink certain beverages and why. In my experience ships run out of Coke and Sprite Zero and diet quickly. They will probably be accommodating they always have been for us.

my wife needed to bring on gatorade which was the only thing that relieved her leg cramps. get the appropriate for from ncl and you should have no problem. its a medical information form, and  you do not need anything from a doctor just call ncl and they will tell you how to print out the form

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

my wife needed to bring on gatorade which was the only thing that relieved her leg cramps. get the appropriate for from ncl and you should have no problem. its a medical information form, and  you do not need anything from a doctor just call ncl and they will tell you how to print out the form

Gatorade is commonly used for maintenance and replenishment of electrolytes and therefore has a legitimate medical use .

That's a far cry from "I don't like the flavors of diet soda you have on board". While diet soda may be something that is permissible on a person's prescribed diet I'm reasonably confident it isn't actually a prescribed necessity on anyone's diet, and in and of itself has no legitimate medical use.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruiseagona said:

I am under a doctor care with my diet. 

That may be so.  However, like @njhorseman I highly doubt that a "I want to drink soda but you don't have the kind I would prefer" is a valid reason to get an exception, even though you have a medical reason you MUST drink diet soda.  They have diet soda on board, just not the flavor you'd prefer.

Next will be the 'I won't drink the tap water and I don't like the water you sell, I need to bring my own as water is medically necessary for sustaining life so I have to have something to drink'.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cruiseagona said:

There is a difference between medically approved and medically prescribed.

If you're on a doctors supervised diet which specifically lists diet soda as being approved, probably won't be approved.

If you're on a doctors supervised diet which specifically prescribes diet orange soda and requires you to drink a certain amount per day then you have a chance.

Just because your medically approved diet allows diet drinks and you prefer a specific type which isn't available on board, you won't be.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

njhorseman:

it wont hurt to apply for the waiver, worst that can happen is ncl will deny the request. this is a fair example of "you wont know unless you try"

"It won't hurt to apply, etc." is a long way from your original statement of "you should have no problem".

3 hours ago, cruiseagona said:

I'm pretty sure that anybody with a PCP and annual visits could make the same claim.  My doctor tells me lots of stuff.  I even listen to most of it.  I don't ask NCL to break their rules because of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cruiseagona said:

About a decade ago, I was able to get a medical exception to bring coconut water aboard, since NCL didn't have it anywhere on the ship. My doctor wrote a note, I filled out the access desk form and the bottles had to be in my carry on.

I got tired of carrying heavy bottles and just get the electrolyte tabs now.

I don't know how orange diet soda is going to go, since there's nothing nutritional about it. You could also just wait until you go out in the ports to buy and drink the orange soda.

njhorseman. are you just trying to be argumentative. you're the one suggesting and are absolutely certain ncl wont allow the diet orange soda. all im suggesting, it doesnt hurt to make the request. obviously, she wont be allowed without asking. i dont believe there will be any problem, you seem to be the doomsday prophet 

regardless, since it makes no difference to either of us whether or not op is allowed to bring the beverage on board, lets just stop our discussion at this time.

it's totally pointless to try and argue this issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i dont believe there will be any problem, you seem to be the doomsday prophet 

I don't see anyone, other than you, that believes there be no problem. Others have explained their reasons for believing the opposite.

What is your reasoning?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

About a decade ago, I was able to get a medical exception to bring coconut water aboard, since NCL didn't have it anywhere on the ship. 

Just to note that NCL now has coconut water - at least at the Mojito bar.  Discovered the CoCo mojito on our trip in April.  Came home and bought a case of coconut water, some Malibu rum and mint bitters.😂

On the OP’s question, you can ask but I’m in the camp that it will be denied.  There is not a medical reason for you have the diet orange soda.  Preferences don’t count.  At least they shouldn’t.  

if you make the request, please report back the result.

• Like 1