Captain Kate -- Collaboration with Dune Jewelry

hrhdhd

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

We have never heard Kate hawk anything when she was the  Captain on board our sailings.

I remain completely impartial during this dog fight.  
However, I must confess I witnessed Captain Kate (I will always refer to her as Captain Kate because that is her title that she has earned and she deserves the respect to be addressed properly just like all captains, queens, sirs, presidents, and whoever else.) on our 2018 Equinox sailing unveiling/introducing a new line of jewelry in the shop on board.  The event was advertised in the Celebrity Today as pictured below.  She also cleared off tables in Cafe Al Bacio and gave a very engaging presentation at our Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle gathering.

I don’t know that hawking would be the appropriate choice of words.  Does a “Photos with the Captain” event also make the master of the vessel a hawker?  I can’t confirm if those photos are sold since I have never posed for one.  These seem more like acts of cruise line goodwill like the captains’ participation in Liars’ Club.

The Dune collaboration just seems different to me than the on board activities that captains participate in when they are not driving the ship.  What Captain Kate, or any other captain for that matter, does on her vacation is her business.  

IMG_4805.thumb.jpeg.082124876724537814c60e17f243ea55.jpeg

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

@Stem to Stern you changed your screen pic!  This cat mama approves ☺️.

Thanks.

I was inspired by you, sweet Peaches.😘

Poor ole Ziggy is left in very good, capable hands when we cruise.

But our baby is never forgotten and thought of often while we are on board.

He’s a good kitty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

We have never heard Kate hawk anything when she was the  Captain on board our sailings.

Both on Equinox and Beyond, she talked about meeting her at her favorite jewelry shop on board, then favorite watch shop.  I never heard another captain advertise like that on Celebrity.  

Here is a double money making opportunity.  I can see the ship photographers snapping a picture of Captain Kate as she fastens every bracelet and every necklace on the passengers who purchase a piece from her collection. When is the perfume and handbag release date?

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Here is a double money making opportunity.  I can see the ship photographers snapping a picture of Captain Kate as she fastens every bracelet and every necklace on the passengers who purchase a piece from her collection. When is the perfume and handbag release date?

Seriously?  Are making up stories allowed here,

4 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

I remain completely impartial during this dog fight.  
However, I must confess I witnessed Captain Kate (I will always refer to her as Captain Kate because that is her title that she has earned and she deserves the respect to be addressed properly just like all captains, queens, sirs, presidents, and whoever else.) on our 2018 Equinox sailing unveiling/introducing a new line of jewelry in the shop on board.  The event was advertised in the Celebrity Today as pictured below.  She also cleared off tables in Cafe Al Bacio and gave a very engaging presentation at our Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle gathering.

I don’t know that hawking would be the appropriate choice of words.  Does a “Photos with the Captain” event also make the master of the vessel a hawker?  I can’t confirm if those photos are sold since I have never posed for one.  These seem more like acts of cruise line goodwill like the captains’ participation in Liars’ Club.

The Dune collaboration just seems different to me than the on board activities that captains participate in when they are not driving the ship.  What Captain Kate, or any other captain for that matter, does on her vacation is her business.  

IMG_4805.thumb.jpeg.082124876724537814c60e17f243ea55.jpeg

There are only 50 pieces worldwide and yet they are willing to let it go for 40% off.  That just speaks volumes.

and the importance of this overall.  Good for her finding extra income streams but all that matters if she is a captain of a ship she knows her stuff and this does not take away from it.  Honestly could care less who is captain of the ship I sail on, as long as Im safe.  Yes captain does have a somewhat influence on the overall moral of the crew, fyi maybe not as many cruises as others, most of mine are 10 plus days, but on the 25 I have done, finally counted I was always happy.  Good for her Female captain, dont give a damm, besides she is qualified.  I have been on ships that went straight thru hurricanes, and ones who went around them.   They are the master of a 700 to billion dollar piece of equipment overall, trust me shore operations is involved.  It's nice jewelery.  It more makes me smh when people need or feel the need to follow what someone else does, Ie they are not able to make decisions on who they are I guess.  It's the world of being online all the Time. I guess.  Best and its really great designs overall

Thank you, OP, for bringing this to our attention.

At the risk of raising the ire of the hard-hearted cynics and people who flat out don't care about such things, this transaction and its announcement does intrigue me.  Most of what intrigues me are the answers to the questions that I'll never hear (mostly because they're none of my business), such as:

• How far up did the approval process, if any, go?  Maybe LHB and Jason got their notice at the same time we did, but somehow I doubt it.
  • Does this mean that these pieces will be introduced on her ship when she returns to active duty?  Or will they be introduced on ships Celebrity-wide sometime?
  • Did Captain Kate get an endorsement fee, does she get commissions, or both?  My cynical nature refuses to believe she did this totally out of the kindness of her heart. 😍🤑
  • Will we be seeing other captains on X following up with similar deals?  It's hard to imagine Captain Pierre hawking jewelry, but who knows?

IMG_20221111_100759.thumb.jpg.f1a9b750146bd72ab0aa35d226b5793b.jpg

I'm glad that Kate found a side hustle that works for her, and I hope that it benefits both sides.  Maybe it will even benefit Celebrity somehow; that would be even better.

Back to lurk mode.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:
  • How far up did the approval process, if any, go?  Maybe LHB and Jason got their notice at the same time we did, but somehow I doubt it.
  • Does this mean that these pieces will be introduced on her ship when she returns to active duty?  Or will they be introduced on ships Celebrity-wide sometime?

I doubt it, as long as its not a conflict of interests for Royal there is no reason they would be involved. People who work for me do other things on the side.

What I took from it was this is something she did outside of work and nothing to do with Celebrity nor would be sold on the ship. If they were I would think it would have the company name on Dune's website promoting it and Celebrity would have done a marketing press release.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Mara

What a sweetheart!!!
@DaKahuna Just look into those innocent eyes, John!!

I was once the proud parent of Little Lucy II who had Mara’s exquisite coloring and weighed in at just five pounds throughout her adulthood.

She was as skittish as they come.

You have to watch out for little ones like that.

She would unintentionally scurry around moving ankles and would trip humans up.

11 hours ago, keesar said:

Both on Equinox and Beyond, she talked about meeting her at her favorite jewelry shop on board, then favorite watch shop.  I never heard another captain advertise like that on Celebrity.  

We have seen Captains push fancy jewelry store events &  then pulling the winning  raffle tickets..Doubt they were volunteers but  they smiled! some may like it but seems to demean  their status. 

We were also offered an opp to buy a photo w a Capt from our bridge tour ..we did not mind the solicitation  but the tour was expensive..as was the photo..It would have been a nice gesture to give  it for free but guess photo dept had its own costs.  Cap and all staff we met on the tour were fine being in cruisers'  photos..only areas off limits were security areas.

Recently the  constant attempts to push drink packages and upgrades have lessened,  BUT we  still get the  "survey begging" quite a bit!

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

We have seen Captains push fancy jewelry store events &  then pulling the winning  raffle tickets..Doubt they were volunteers but  they smiled! some may like it but seems to demean  their status. 

We were also offered an opp to buy a photo w a Capt from our bridge tour ..we did not mind the solicitation  but the tour was expensive..as was the photo..It would have been a nice gesture to give  it for free but guess photo dept had its own costs.  Cap and all staff we met on the tour were fine being in cruisers'  photos..only areas off limits were security areas.

Recently the  constant attempts to push drink packages and upgrades have lessened,  BUT we  still get the  "survey begging" quite a bit!

I hate the survey begging more than the sales pitch. With everyone giving tens across the board it is no wonder why changes that we complain about continue.  

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There are only 50 pieces worldwide and yet they are willing to let it go for 40% off.  That just speaks volumes.

Since this was in 2018 I can’t recall that I even inquired about the pricing, but I am sure there was enough of a mark up on the unveiled jewelry line to allow for the “sale” pricing.  Just like our shore excursions and other planner items.😉

In contrast Dune is offering a modest 10% off on the collab.  Of course, the prices top out in the hundreds rather than the thousands that the exclusive 2018 line rang up for on board.  The shoe and cat charms and some of the nautical and travel-inspired items are clever, but most of them are really not my jam.  Although, I have been known to burn OBC on a modest John Hardy mens piece or two.  Cue the vile replies.  I am getting used to it.🙄

On our December cruise we were snapped with Captain Chris at an officers’ soirée in The Retreat Lounge.  The photos taken by the ship’s photographer turned out absolutely awful, but they were delivered to our cabin and were complimentary.  Fortunately a fellow passenger snapped far better photos of all of us with her iPhone and shared them.

6DB56E69-B435-47C4-8CF0-DB8419F09F28.thumb.jpeg.13f38816104376deb9dde997e8384327.jpeg

On 6/20/2024 at 10:53 PM, Cruising89143 said:

Who cares? If it doesn’t interest you then move on. If you like then buy it. If not then don’t. Not a big deal. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

They can’t seem to help themselves.  Scroll on buy (SOB) is not in their vocabulary.