Bringing non-alcoholic drinks

I know we can bring 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. The problem is that the bottles are not packaged in a way that will survive leaving them with the luggage.

I also assume RCL will want to inspect these bottles to ensure they're untampered (e.g., filled with vodka.) What's the best way to package them? Please do not suggest putting them in a piece of luggage. I'm trying to keep luggage minimal.

1 hour ago, Sizzlechest said:

Please do not suggest putting them in a piece of luggage.

Not sure what else you could put them in - that's quite a bit of bulk and weight. You can disperse them in regular luggage among clothes.

43 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

. If I told anyone outside these forums that people like this were real, they'd never believe it.

Ok then, put it a plastic bag and carry it on - see how that goes for you. Or buy some purpose-built thing which is not luggage to carry the bottles.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

As @1025cruise posted, you must "carry on" that kind of liquid. Do not put them inside your checked (with a porter) luggage, unless you're not afraid of picking your luggage up from the "naughty room" to explain what liquid is hidden in there. Our friends have been there, done that; not fun. You must carry it on anyway you can to be scanned through security. Plain enough?

@cruiseguy1016 backpacks are fine, as long as you carry it on and scan it through security; do not check it with the porters outside.

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

I know we can bring 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. The problem is that the bottles are not packaged in a way that will survive leaving them with the luggage.

I also assume RCL will want to inspect these bottles to ensure they're untampered (e.g., filled with vodka.) What's the best way to package them? Please do not suggest putting them in a piece of luggage. I'm trying to keep luggage minimal.

Just put them in something to contain them within your carryon.  You could use a few paper lunch bags or a lunchbox cooler.  You could put groups of four into plastic grocery bags and then wrap tape around the outside of the bag to create a collar to hold them together that would still allow someone to pull one out to inspect if they want.  Use a few gallon size ziploc bags or even the big 2 1/2 gallon size bags for all together. How have you brought stuff on in the past?  

6 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

They must be carried on, so however you feel it is necessary to carry them.

Since they are carry on only, maybe a bag. I got a $10 cozumel bag I use if I have extras to carry on or off. Fits over my should and if not used folds into my suitcase. 

I might carry on 3 or 5 tall pringles cans for my stewards that would crush in my suitcase. If not used then it's just 1 extra item in my suitcase. I dont consider it luggage. Or a backpack you have sitting around at home. I put heavier items in my luggage and use a over the shoukd bag for lighter items. Its doable.

6 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

Why won’t they survive in the luggage? Are they glass bottles? If so, wrap them in bubble wrap or clothing and carry in a back pack.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Why won’t they survive in the luggage? Are they glass bottles? If so, wrap them in bubble wrap or clothing and carry in a back pack.

If I slap a luggage tag on the 12-pack and check it with the luggage, the container might not survive. I could wrap it up, but then I might have to go to the "naughty room" to get it. I never had to deal with the naughty room, so I'm not sure if it's a big deal.

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of folks just put it on top of their carry-on luggage and bring it onboard as a carry on, carry-on is what is seeminly suggested by RCL.

I think you're making this more complicated than this needs to be. People literally carry cases of water, soda, etc. in their hands through security and onboard. RCL likely won't want to inspect these items too closely unless they look like they've been tampered with.

You have to carry them on. 

I'm Team Hands-free, so I always put them in a backpack.  No one ever looks too closely at our stuff, but they absolutely might do so next cruise!  

I've heard that some port terminals inspect more closely than others.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You have to carry them on. 

I'm Team Hands-free, so I always put them in a backpack.  No one ever looks too closely at our stuff, but they absolutely might do so next cruise!  

I've heard that some port terminals inspect more closely than others.

It was some years ago, but I distinctly remember people bringing cases of water and the port folks taking it and putting a tag on it. I never needed to do it until my upcoming cruise. There are no freestyle machines on the ship and no Powerade Zero to be found onboard. I think they might have sugar-free Vitamin Water, but I'd rather not take chances.

43 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

It was some years ago, but I distinctly remember people bringing cases of water and the port folks taking it and putting a tag on it. I never needed to do it until my upcoming cruise. There are no freestyle machines on the ship and no Powerade Zero to be found onboard. I think they might have sugar-free Vitamin Water, but I'd rather not take chances.

At Port Canaveral the porters will not accept cases of water.  It must be carried on…

Twelve .5L bottles weigh about 13 lbs and fit into an ordinary backpack just fine. Or a sturdy shopping bag. In my experience, it was not at all difficult to carry aboard, and no reason to think that the bottles would leak. I think we all know what will happen however if we open a carbonated beverage soon after it has been agitated. 

1 hour ago, Sizzlechest said:

If your concern is having a non-carbonated, sugar-free option (and I agree, there are not a lot of those), what works for me is too bring packets of drink mix--the kind meant to be added to a bottle of water. I use that in ice water dispensed from the drink stations. 

Dropping off a case of water with a luggage tag hasn't been permitted for a few years at Baltimore. Maybe your port differs.

(I really wish sugar-free lemonade was available at the drink stations! I know iced tea with artificial sweetener is available but lemonade would be nice. The no-sugar flavored waters are not very tasty and inconsistently available.)

Edited by schlimazel_traveler

8 minutes ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

If your concern is having a non-carbonated, sugar-free option (and I agree, there are not a lot of those), what works for me is too bring packets of drink mix--the kind meant to be added to a bottle of water. I use that in ice water dispensed from the drink stations. 

Dropping off a case of water with a luggage tag hasn't been permitted for a few years at Baltimore. Maybe your port differs.

(I really wish sugar-free lemonade was available at the drink stations! I know iced tea with artificial sweetener is available but lemonade would be nice. The no-sugar flavored waters are not very tasty and inconsistently available.)

I know! I can't believe how hard it is when the ship doesn't have a freestyle machine. We used to use Crystal Lite packets when we first started cruising. I don't think they give you a freestyle cup on ships without a machine.

9 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

I know! I can't believe how hard it is when the ship doesn't have a freestyle machine. We used to use Crystal Lite packets when we first started cruising. I don't think they give you a freestyle cup on ships without a machine.

They don't leave freestyle cups in the cabins anymore, whether the ship has freestyle machines or not.  If you want a cup, just go to a bar and ask for one.  They will just scan your card to see if you already received one or not.  

2 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

That used to be allowed but it no longer is. As many people have mentioned, it must now be carried on.