Caribbean Cruise overall temps just too high to enjoy?

mickeysgal

Its been years since we went on a Caribbean cruise.  I know the temp will be hot but was it so hot that you said never again? We are debating cancelling a booked cruise...I just don't want it unbearable such that we don't enjoy anything.  We are booked for an October southern Caribbean.  Avg temp 89.  Is it heart pounding heat and sun such that you can't/didn't truly enjoy it?

14 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

Its been years since we went on a Caribbean cruise.  I know the temp will be hot but was it so hot that you said never again? We are debating cancelling a booked cruise...I just don't want it unbearable such that we don't enjoy anything.  We are booked for an October southern Caribbean.  Avg temp 89.  Is it heart pounding heat and sun such that you can't/didn't truly enjoy it?

Yes and no 😄

SUNSCREEN, sun shirts, hats, and beach umbrellas are pretty much requirements in the height of the season (and good ideas anytime else).  But the islands often have a nice breeze off the ocean, so that's why you can be pleasantly warm but not overwhelmed by the heat.

We were in Aruba and Curacao in April 2022, and it was like Vegas in the summer with the intensity of the sun. But, with the sunscreen, hat, & sun shirt, and a bit of time cooling off in the ocean, it can be quite pleasant.  

But it is hot POTENTIALLY and October might be simply wonderful or, like our Oct Western Caribbean years ago, the weather (storms) caused us to skip the Cayman port.  The rest of that cruise was beautiful and pleasant, and we even skirted most of the rougher day of weather.

Edited by Tom and Ingrid
  • Like 2

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

October sounds great.

I see you live in ATL, it will feel cooler there than it does here now.

Honestly that's what driving this question.  Just taking a dog for a walk in this heat and humidity is causing my heart rate to go up.  It's just unbearable.  So if thats what Oct will be like, I don't want to pay for that that! misery! I'd rather go somewhere else to be honest.  Our alternate is Hawaii.

2 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

Honestly that's what driving this question.  Just taking a dog for a walk in this heat and humidity is causing my heart rate to go up.  It's just unbearable.  So if thats what Oct will be like, I don't want to pay for that that! misery! I'd rather go somewhere else to be honest.  Our alternate is Hawaii.

October in Atlanta should be one of the best times to be in Georgia.  Maybe you need to consider travel from there in July & August.  😄

Hawaii is ALWAYS nice!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

October in Atlanta should be one of the best times to be in Georgia.  Maybe you need to consider travel from there in July & August.  😄

Hawaii is ALWAYS nice!

Way ahead of you there. We are headed to Norway shortly in July! 

Although October is nice here in Georgia…a vacation that time fits my husbands work schedule. So October it is! 

Edited by mickeysgal
  • Like 1

We lived on the coast of Florida, then we lived in Atlanta for 10 years. I will tell you that for me, Atlanta was so much hotter than Florida or the Caribbean in the summer. No sea breeze. Made a huge difference. That one summer (2019?) when we had over 90 days of 90° with 90+% humidity? UGH. While it was hot in Florida, there was usually a bit of a breeze and there was a pool or water nearby. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mrgabriel said:

We lived on the coast of Florida, then we lived in Atlanta for 10 years. I will tell you that for me, Atlanta was so much hotter than Florida or the Caribbean in the summer. No sea breeze. Made a huge difference. That one summer (2019?) when we had over 90 days of 90° with 90+% humidity? UGH. While it was hot in Florida, there was usually a bit of a breeze and there was a pool or water nearby. 

I live just south of ATL, I can’t imagine it without a pool in the yard..I am outside a lot, it hasn’t even gotten humid yet. 

But yes, along the coast feels cooler for sure..I wouldn’t hesitate to cruise the Caribbean at any time myself..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickeysgal said:

So much of it depends on what you want to do.  And if by southern you mean the ABC islands, yes, they will be still very warm but they are a drier climate plus you have the ocean breeze.  When sailing you will have a nice ocean breeze as well.  Honestly I don't think any of us can answer this one for you.  I have sailed that route many, many times.  I usually go in Jan or Feb but in that area the temps are pretty much the same year round.  I would say there was only one cruise where it was unusually humid and on that one it was uncomfortable at times.  The rest of the time it was warm, but less humid and a nice breeze.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 1

Dec, Jan, Feb & Mar ideal weather for the Caribbean.  

biggest issue in Oct could be rainy or stormy weather..other than ARUBA.

(below hurricane line) But  ABCs are hot hot hot!

(We are in SW Fl now where it is  reaching  high 80s..same for home on Long Island  NY...both have rainstorms now and then  to cool a bit)

We do not cruise in hurrucane season...but ships avoid storms, are cooled indoors with AC .  Beaches  offer shade and Umbrellas and nice refreshing water.. 

All depends on your outdoor plans??? Hats, sunscreen and hydration needed always.

2 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

I don't know which state you are from, but global warming is all over the world.  So sad- 115 degrees in some states .  Horrible.  If the weather is hot on our upcoming cruise, we will spend time on the ship in the air conditioning.

59 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

A suggestion.  Go Canada/NE cruises in October to escape the heat and avoid major hurricanes.  And see some scenery and foliage.  Can't go wrong!

Was watching youtuber Fraser at Sea recount his tough CA/NE cruise last fall. 😄

MSC and not X, and all either his/MSC's doing or weather related. But definitely, things can and do go wrong sometimes.

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

A suggestion.  Go Canada/NE cruises in October to escape the heat and avoid major hurricanes.  And see some scenery and foliage.  Can't go wrong!

Maybe.  I sailed a late September into early October Canada/NE cruise and lo and behold, here comes a hurricane the day of sailing.  Two ports missed, schedules changes to add overnights to other ports.  It was my bucket list cruise so very disappointing to miss the ports, although an overnight in Quebec was a nice add. And as worried as I was about the seas, we followed the hurricane path up the coast and the seas were some of the most calm ever!  So I guess moral of the story is go a little later in October if you can.

I can certainly understand not wanting oppressive heat, but weather in today's world is getting harder and harder to plan for. A few years ago my wife and daughter went on a winter cruise to the southern Caribbean and it was COLD for the whole week. For example when outside people were using multiple towels to 'try' and keep warm. When they stopped in Aruba they both picked up a couple of hoodies to help. Locals couldn't believe how cold it was.

I need to add that being the troopers they are, they rolled with it and had a great time.

8 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Atlanta is probably hotter in July and August. Last week NY was hotter than Florida. October is the perfect time to sail in the Southern Caribbean.  Our friends have a time share in Aruba every October.

• Like 1

We did a Summer cruise in the Caribbean.  It was great on the ship but miserable in the ports that we stopped.  If you are thinking of getting away in the Summer, I suggest Alaska or go to New England in September and early to mid October.  Newport, RI is a real nice stop.

8 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Lol, it was 98F yesterday in ATL, so I'll take 89F with an ocean, somebody making your bed, serving you food, and putting on shows any time.

We just came back from the Caribbean cruise. It was unbearable in Mahogany bay until we got in the water. After that it was pretty good. However, we always go to the beach in ports (or try to) and spend a lot of time in the water. We don't do ruins or zoo trips, because we can't be outside in the heat.

We were on an ABC cruise in April and had a great time. We are gonna be on an ABC cruise in November and will have a great time. 

41 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Atlanta is probably hotter in July and August.

it usually cools down by mid-August, but with the global warming, the hope is slim.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just go and make the best of it, as only Mother Nature knows about the weather.  We are doing a TA back from Barcelona near the end of Barcelona.  The ship will move around the storms and the weather should not be hot!  We did the ABC Island in early December and it was hot, but that was a very minor reason for us not returning to the Caribbean.

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Lol, it was 98F yesterday in ATL, so I'll take 89F with an ocean, somebody making your bed, serving you food, and putting on shows any time.

We just came back from the Caribbean cruise. It was unbearable in Mahogany bay until we got in the water. After that it was pretty good. However, we always go to the beach in ports (or try to) and spend a lot of time in the water. We don't do ruins or zoo trips, because we can't be outside in the heat.

We were on an ABC cruise in April and had a great time. We are gonna be on an ABC cruise in November and will have a great time. 

it usually cools down by mid-August, but with the global warming, the hope is slim.

89 would be considered cool in Dallas we been at a hundred give or take a degree . Caribbean is pretty warm year round, wouldn’t stop me from cruising. I rather do Caribbean than Europe in summer.

• Like 1