Help! Are all celebrity cruises for people over 55?

Our cruise line of choice is Celebrity and have Elite+status. Last time we sailed Royal (on the Oasis) was 6 years to Celebrate our 50th Anniversay with Family (total #16). Chose this because I knew Grandkids would love all the ship's amenities.  

Botton line is (I know I'll get slammed for this) even if I was given another RCI cruise for free, no matter the number of people, I would never sail RCI again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, chefchick said:

As a solo cruiser and an introvert silent disco is my happy place - I hope they never get rid of it.

best or worst silent disco experience: they did this thing in front of a great bar on the ship that we were on and the participants were singing(yelling) so loud that the people in the bar could not hear the musician that had packed the place..To combat the noise from the disco freaks, the musician turned up his amp and that ended up clearing out the bar and thoroughly disgusting the bar manager and all of the folks that had been enjoying their evenings without having to listen to horrible renditions of kc and the sunshine band by a bunch of ********.learned a lesson that night, avoid this activity at all costs.As a former musician i still have flashbacks from having to listen to that stuff in the 70's. life is better now.

22 minutes ago, retired dude said:

best or worst silent disco experience: they did this thing in front of a great bar on the ship that we were on and the participants were singing(yelling) so loud that the people in the bar could not hear the musician that had packed the place..To combat the noise from the disco freaks, the musician turned up his amp and that ended up clearing out the bar and thoroughly disgusting the bar manager and all of the folks that had been enjoying their evenings without having to listen to horrible renditions of kc and the sunshine band by a bunch of ********.learned a lesson that night, avoid this activity at all costs.As a former musician i still have flashbacks from having to listen to that stuff in the 70's. life is better now.

To outright ignore an event due to the potential of disruptive people, who can appear anywhere, is quite extreme.  I would recommend someone check it out and if it's too noisy/disruptive, leave.  I've been too many on X, both just walking by to participate, and I haven't noticed many silent disco-ers singing loudly.  I'm not a huge fan of them as I much prefer music from regular speakers yet it can surprisingly be fun to observe specifically when one or more seem to be dancing like nobody's watching

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

Silent disco.  Do young people like that? Do ships with a club have dancing with music?

They were created to keep the party going without breaking noise curfews.  For some youngins, they may enjoy the event on occasion, yet if they're used to going to loud clubs to meet and talk to people, that's the exact opposite of a silent disco

On 6/28/2024 at 9:03 PM, Oliver6144 said:

We went on equinox last February   We we’re a party of 6   I have been on 14 rccl cruises and couldn’t wait to try celebrity   I was  ok with it but the rest of my party was disappointed because they felt like it was  older crowd.   There were ballroom dancers at every music venue   All I heard was everyone was over 55, which I disagreed with.  Anyway onto next years cruise   No one wants to do celebrity because they feel it’s an older crowd   Can anyone give me insight as to a younger ship?    Was looking at Apex  but it will take some convincing so looking for some input!   I didn’t think it was that bad but they did!  

Celebrity certainly skews older than RC; Cruise Critic and other sources provide insights as to the average ages of the passengers by cruise line and even ship.  Think of the advantages of an older crowd though; you can beat them for a better seat in the theater or a lounger at the pool. 

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Of my 20+ post-pandemic X sailings including short sailings and E-Class, at least 75% of pax were 55 or older

Oh no...it's the attack of the baby boomers.   Run for your lives!!   😮  😱

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, IDL said:

Celebrity certainly skews older than RC; Cruise Critic and other sources provide insights as to the average ages of the passengers by cruise line and even ship.  Think of the advantages of an older crowd though; you can beat them for a better seat in the theater or a lounger at the pool. 

nope , we waddle in large groups and there is no way to pass us.

Seriously.. many 55 and up still work for a living and play sports

17 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Our cruise line of choice is Celebrity and have Elite+status. Last time we sailed Royal (on the Oasis) was 6 years to Celebrate our 50th Anniversay with Family (total #16). Chose this because I knew Grandkids would love all the ship's amenities.  

Botton line is (I know I'll get slammed for this) even if I was given another RCI cruise for free, no matter the number of people, I would never sail RCI again. 

Same thoughts here...we used to cruise on both lines but moved away from Royal,  as ships  grew in size..Royal back then was lots of fun, good shows and music.

We went back once and tried Oasis...It was not for us.  Too big, too crowded..lots of lines .basic food even in Specialty Dining.  The Adult Solarium out back made it bearable but we were happy to disembark!

Dtr and son in law agreed but he liked the flow rider and zip line.  We had a pvt over the water cabana  on Labadee which we all enjoyed..away from crowds.

E Class is much better for the money for a " younger" vibe..but hope X does not become Royal! 

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Actually in the 55-59 range you're talking GenX. The youngest Boomer at this point is 60.

No, I was talking about boomers, as we are the retiree flavors of the month.  😉  We are also a pretty good size group of retirees that cruise a lot.    

Google search:

As of July 2021, baby boomers were between 57 and 75 years old, with a birth year range of 1946–1964. In the United States, there are 71.6 million baby boomers.  

Edited by island lady
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2024 at 9:03 PM, Oliver6144 said:

Help! Are all celebrity cruises for people over 55?

I'll let you know when I get there.  I've been cruising on Celebrity for 20 years and am not yet 55. 🙂

But it has been a fun trip going from our early 30s on our first X cruise - Eastern Caribbean on the Century - and being "that young couple" to all the folks we met.  Over time, the younger folks have increased in size and we've aged into the "middle aged" couple.  No longer do we really stand out as "young", but we do stick out a bit as the more energetic folks - lots of walking, stair taking, participating in the active activities, and generally maximizing our time on and off the ship.

So, for sure, lots and lots of folks in the essential, core 55-65 age demographic on board, but as the fleet grows in size and passenger capacity, there will be a skewing towards the 45-54 and a bit of the 35-44 demographics.  

X is NOT the cruise line for the ADHD crowd, and definitely not for the "send the kiddos out at breakfast and regroup at dinner" crowd.  Those are much better served by the Mega-ships of Royal or Disney.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

My wife has been suggesting we try the Icon and a true mega-ship.  On one hand, I'm all for trying something new and seeing what something that big is like - especially compared to X.

And then I watch a video review and everything about it screams, "DON'T DO IT!" as I see the crowds.  On X, I'm used to the "crowds" - ie the migration to/from the MDR to the theater - but that's about it.  I just can't wrap my head around the "reserve" a spot for the shows - before you sail if possible - or other big ship situations.

But, 100% I would take a free cruise on the Icon! 😄 Or probably any of their ships. Maybe with a drink plan included to calm my nerves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

No, I was talking about boomers, as we are the retiree flavors of the month.  😉  We are also a pretty good size group of retirees that cruise a lot.    

Google search:

As of July 2021, baby boomers were between 57 and 75 years old, with a birth year range of 1946–1964. In the United States, there are 71.6 million baby boomers.  

BUT you were including 55-59 in there. The youngest boomer in 2024 is 60 - 2024-1964 is 60 - your google search is as of July 2021. We're in 2024 now, so 3 years have passed since that search.

The oldest GenXer is 59. So by including 55-59 you're including GenXers.

LOL.  My two oldest sisters are boomers?  62-64?  That’s news to me.  No wonder we don’t get along.

I found the lectures on Eclipse interesting.  A good way to pass the time on sea days.

No, X is not good if you need stimulation every 5 minutes.  That’s why they invented smartphones and iPads.

Hello,
I'm sailing next month on the Apex and I have a friend who just finished her cruise on the Anthem of the Seas with Royal Caribbean. She mentioned that on these large ships, most services are now automated, and she used the cruise app a lot, like even to request extra towels.

Since I have never sailed with Celebrity Cruises, I wonder if they have a similar system with less interaction with the crew. Personally, I still prefer to interact with crew members for help.

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

LOL.  My two oldest sisters are boomers?  62-64?  That’s news to me.  No wonder we don’t get along.

I found the lectures on Eclipse interesting.  A good way to pass the time on sea days.

No, X is not good if you need stimulation every 5 minutes.  That’s why they invented smartphones and iPads.

I believe a good lecturer can be quite stimulating, visually and mentally. If one finds the topic interesting and informative, one is stimulated to continue paying attention. At my age, I prefer low key stimulation.   

Nearly every comedian on a Celebrity ship will make a joke about the age of passengers on HAL.  But honestly, I do not see a significant difference between the two cruise lines.  They are very much skewed to an older crown.  Maybe that is changing with the E-class ships but not on the older ones.

As for an an RCCL cruise.  They would really need to upgrade their included food and service before they would rate consideration.