Have we made a mistake?! 😱

croooze

We’ve been on a few so called spring break cruises, as a matter of fact, we went on Easter Day this past March on the Discovery and there were a lot of kids onboard but, not rowdy college kids but younger children, preteens and some teenagers.  It was a crowded sailing but it never really felt that way.  It wasn’t a rowdy booze cruise atmosphere in the very least.  
We’ve also noticed that the Mexico and Caribbean sailings tended to have a bit more of a booze cruise atmosphere but, the Pacific Coastal itineraries, not so much!  I seriously doubt you will have any regrets with your decision.  You have made no mistakes and I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.  

• Like 2

I think that there are some responses here that are based on those who take long sailings, often when it is not a school or family break timeframe.

Princess has been marketing to the family cruise demographic.

There is a mention here on CC of 700 kids on Enchanted, with schools out for Summer.

And, it was also just now posted on that thread that there were twice that many kids on a larger Royal Caribbean ship.  But, I imagine they also have twice as much space in kids areas.

I would guess that the itinerary, the shorter or longer cruises, and the time of year can make a real difference.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 5:35 AM, croooze said:

12th April - 19th April 2025. We are having a family reunion and have children with us ranging from 5 to 19yrs. We booked as price was very reasonable and it’s only occurred to us now (as we are from Australia) that it may be a “spring break booze cruise”?!

it is NOT.

Booze cruises are 3-4 days long. 
This is a family oriented 7 day spring break. We always sail with our kid during a spring break, although ours is usually the first week of April, and we sail in the Caribbean. Next year it's the 2nd week of April.

This appears to be a West coast 7 day cruise, so not a booze cruise.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I think that there are some responses here that are based on those who take long sailings, often when it is not a school or family break timeframe. Princess has been marketing to the family cruise demographic. There is a mention here on CC of 700 kids on Enchanted, with schools out for Summer. And, it was also just now posted on that thread that there were twice that many kids on a larger Royal Caribbean ship.

The OP's concern was not too many children on board since they will have children with them, but that somehow "Spring Breakers", i.e. those brain dead college kids you see on TV shows (looking at you "Cops") being rowdy. Princess is not marketing to college kids for Spring Break and those phony driver's licenses from Montana that work in bars in FL won't fly on Princess, if they did.

22 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

In 35 Princess cruises I have never seen anyone drunk and rowdy. You are safe to have a great time. Spring breakers go to the Caribbean on NCL , RCCL and especially Carnival. 

I have ONCE in over 20 cruises on a SoCal 3 day cruise to Ensenada and I doubt that they will ever let that group on one of their ships again. 

OP, I wouldn’t worry on a 7 day cruise. I just checked and see that you are doing a California Coastal. I have done several California Coastal cruises and I have loved them all. The Discovery Princess is my favorite ship! Enjoy! 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 5:35 AM, croooze said:

How can we tell what the crowd is going to be like and if it’s appropriate with younger kids?!

Many local mid-west school districts take their spring break the week before, or the week after Easter.  That will mean more kids on board.  But, they should be 18 or less, which fits in with your age group.  And, with Easter being so late next year, they may change things up a bit.

On 6/29/2024 at 2:35 AM, croooze said:

We have booked the 7 night discovery princess cruise from 12th April - 19th April 2025. We are having a family reunion and have children with us ranging from 5 to 19yrs. We booked as price was very reasonable and it’s only occurred to us now (as we are from Australia) that it may be a “spring break booze cruise”?! How can we tell what the crowd is going to be like and if it’s appropriate with younger kids?!

It has already been said, but I think your timing is pretty good.  Princess is typically short of families but yours might have more families which will likely be more enjoyable for your group. I wouldn't worry about it being a booze cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

I'm not sure what you mean but I've never seen Disneyland to be boozy no matter what the time of year.

I was thinking more along the lines of being crowded.  I've stopped going to the park.  All day and maybe get in 4 rides.  I will not pay for line privileges.  

Keep in mind that JP "left" Disney to come over to Princess.  

I guess I could have worded my comment better.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 8:59 AM, princeton123211 said:

Also Princess isn't known for its rowdy passengers like Carnival, NCL, or Royal per se (although it can happen anywhere). Princess passengers tend to fit well into the old adage "well fed, newly wed, nearly dead". 

Also the hardened spring breakers are going to be headed to the Caribbean, Florida, and on the West Coast places like Cabo and PV. No self respecting spring breaker is headed to Catalina Island or San Francisco. 

I think you'll be fine. 

"No self respecting spring breaker is headed to Catalina Island or San Francisco" -- you made me laugh out loud.😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MamaStang said:

"No self respecting spring breaker is headed to Catalina Island or San Francisco" -- you made me laugh out loud.😃

We went on a ‘spring break cruise’, Pacific Coastal, on another line and there were only a handful of teenagers onboard .. that was the extent of it.  
We went to the Cruise Critic meeting where officers and the CD were present to answer questions from the group.  A couple of people asked why they were confiscating everyone’s wine when clearly, it wasn’t a spring break crowd.  They all got their wine back shortly after the meeting.  
So, we were up in the observation lounge while anchored in Monterey, watch the whales play right in front of us.  There were two mothers next to us and 3 teenagers came in and said, “we can’t even call our friends, this is unbearable”.  Haha .. I laughed so hard!  They obviously hadn’t sprung for the internet for their kids.  I mentioned they could be watching whales but they just rolled their eyes at me.  🤣 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/29/2024 at 7:28 PM, dog said:

Sunday April 20/25 is Easter.

Spring break in February & March.

No.

Spring break for most So Cal schools is April, which this ship is sailing out of. 

Spring break for the second largest school district in the nation (Los Angeles Unified) is April 14-18, 2025. 

A lot of school districts in Southern California have the week following Easter off. 

On 6/30/2024 at 8:19 AM, Cruise Raider said:

We’ve been on a few so called spring break cruises, as a matter of fact, we went on Easter Day this past March on the Discovery and there were a lot of kids onboard but, not rowdy college kids but younger children, preteens and some teenagers.  It was a crowded sailing but it never really felt that way.  It wasn’t a rowdy booze cruise atmosphere in the very least.  
We’ve also noticed that the Mexico and Caribbean sailings tended to have a bit more of a booze cruise atmosphere but, the Pacific Coastal itineraries, not so much!  I seriously doubt you will have any regrets with your decision.  You have made no mistakes and I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.  

Was on a b2b 7 day Mexican cruises during spring break time frame out l

of San Pedro last year. While there were a  fair number of college age students it was certainly not a booze cruise atmosphere. They, like the rest of the passengers, were enjoying the weather, ship and ports. Did run into one that made it his goal to Max out the drink package each day, but even then he did it in a quiet, funny way, not like some of the louder obnoxious people one can run into any time of the year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We went on a ‘spring break cruise’, Pacific Coastal, on another line and there were only a handful of teenagers onboard .. that was the extent of it.  
We went to the Cruise Critic meeting where officers and the CD were present to answer questions from the group.  A couple of people asked why they were confiscating everyone’s wine when clearly, it wasn’t a spring break crowd.  They all got their wine back shortly after the meeting.  
So, we were up in the observation lounge while anchored in Monterey, watch the whales play right in front of us.  There were two mothers next to us and 3 teenagers came in and said, “we can’t even call our friends, this is unbearable”.  Haha .. I laughed so hard!  They obviously hadn’t sprung for the internet for their kids.  I mentioned they could be watching whales but they just rolled their eyes at me.  🤣 

If they were in Monterey California they would have had access to shoreside cell connections. I have done this many a time

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

of San Pedro last year. While there were a  fair number of college age students it was certainly not a booze cruise atmosphere. They, like the rest of the passengers, were enjoying the weather, ship and ports. Did run into one that made it his goal to Max out the drink package each day, but even then he did it in a quiet, funny way, not like some of the louder obnoxious people one can run into any time of the year.

Having been on short cruises with college age spring breakers the only place that got crazy was in Skywalkers late night otherwise it felt like a normal cruise

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

of San Pedro last year. While there were a  fair number of college age students.....

If there were "college age students" on a 7 Night Mexican Cruise out of San Pedro, I am willing to bet they were traveling with their parents, not on their own. Spring Breakers in So Cal go to "the river", Lake Powell or Mexico.

On 6/30/2024 at 11:38 AM, Wishing on a star said:

I think that there are some responses here that are based on those who take long sailings, often when it is not a school or family break timeframe.

Princess has been marketing to the family cruise demographic.

There is a mention here on CC of 700 kids on Enchanted, with schools out for Summer.

And, it was also just now posted on that thread that there were twice that many kids on a larger Royal Caribbean ship.  But, I imagine they also have twice as much space in kids areas.

I would guess that the itinerary, the shorter or longer cruises, and the time of year can make a real difference.

I believe that the OP was worried about Spring Breakers being college partiers, not family oriented cruises full of kids.  Princess is now just starting to market towards the family demographic. 

They will never attract the college crowd.  They don't have short cruises in the Caribbean and they have a 15 drink daily limit.

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

No.

Spring break for most So Cal schools is April, which this ship is sailing out of. 

Spring break for the second largest school district in the nation (Los Angeles Unified) is April 14-18, 2025. 

A lot of school districts in Southern California have the week following Easter off. 

Looks like CSULB has Spring Break March 31 - April 6, 2025. I wouldn’t worry about a CA Coastal though. 

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Having been on short cruises with college age spring breakers the only place that got crazy was in Skywalkers late night otherwise it felt like a normal cruise

I was on a 3 day Princess cruise to Ensenada and unfortunately there was a kickball group onboard. Their behavior was just awful! There were probably over 1,200 in the group. They were all trashed the entire time. Sailaway began with them bouncing a blowup doll around the Lido deck. When we got to Ensenada they all wore Santa Claus suits. One of them told us that way if they were missing someone at the end of the day they could tell them to look for Santa.  Worst cruise ever. 

13 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I was on a 3 day Princess cruise to Ensenada and unfortunately there was a kickball group onboard. Their behavior was just awful! There were probably over 1,200 in the group. They were all trashed the entire time. Sailaway began with them bouncing a blowup doll around the Lido deck. When we got to Ensenada they all wore Santa Claus suits. One of them told us that way if they were missing someone at the end of the day they could tell them to look for Santa.  Worst cruise ever. 

That rivals our NCL Epic Mediterranean cruise with 2,000 Chinese cosmetic saleswomen. 

I need to find a website that warns of large cruising groups. 

• Like 1