Airline travel nightmare continues

jimbo5544

I too woke up to the news of the global tech travel nightmare last Friday.

Ironically one of my first thoughts was that we always fly out the day before our cruises and more likely than not it’s on a Friday.

We would have been devastated.

Yes, travel insurance would help a lot.

Just now, Journey11 said:

I too woke up to the news of the global tech travel nightmare last Friday.

Ironically one of my first thoughts was that we always fly out the day before our cruises and more likely than not it’s on a Friday.

We would have been devastated.

Yes, travel insurance would help a lot.

I was shocked to see that the ripple effect was still continuing.  Reports this AM say it will not be totally back till mid week.

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I haven't seen if the issues are accommodating cancelled passengers or continuing to cancel everyone? 

According to the network news, it has been a total mess (airlines).  I have not seen a peep here regarding cruises.

• Like 1

From a FB post on the continuing cancelations:

Delta Air Lines Meltdown: Getting Worse Before It Gets Better As New Systems Crash: Monday was supposed to be better for Delta than Sunday – and it was, just cancelled ‘only’ 1,153 flights or 29% of their operation, and delayed another 45% more. On Sunday it was 36% canceled and 44% delayed.

35 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Delta Air Lines Meltdown: Getting Worse Before It Gets Better As New Systems Crash: Monday was supposed to be better for Delta than Sunday – and it was, just cancelled ‘only’ 1,153 flights or 29% of their operation, and delayed another 45% more. On Sunday it was 36% canceled and 44% delayed.

They really shouldn't use the word crash when talking about an airline computer system outage....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The cancelled and delayed flights were still impacting passengers trying to get to Seattle to board their cruise ship to Alaska yesterday (Monday).

If ever a good example for the need of travel insurance, this is it.

• Like 1

Just back from a work trip in Denver on Friday. We lucked out with a direct back to Boston and only had a 75min delay around noontime. What a hellscape the airport was though, people sleeping on the floor, people yelling, crying. Not good. All blue screens of death on every monitor in the airport. No Bueno.

• Like 2

It was a nightmare for a friend of mine who is a tour operator. She and a group are stuck in Amsterdam until Thursday. They were supposed to have been home this past Friday. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Delta has been unable to fix problems with its crew tracking system, leaving it unable to find the pilots and flight attendants it needed to fly its planes.

From reports I have been seeing on the news, this seems to be pretty much revolved except for Delta. And Delta is a real mess and is predicted to stay that way for a while yet. 

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

From reports I have been seeing on the news, this seems to be pretty much revolved except for Delta. And Delta is a real mess and is predicted to stay that way for a while yet. 

Certainly way more than anybody else.  On a related but semi different view, I read today Southwest was unaffected because THE OS is so outdated, meaning they have def problems with protection of customer data.

11 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is crazy.  Don't they have phones?  Send people to the nearest plane

It doesn't work that way.  You have issues of duty hours as well as being type qualified to fly specific aircraft.  Plus, there are significant maintenance considerations working as well.

But just keep thinking it's a simple fix.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

It doesn't work that way.  You have issues of duty hours as well as being type qualified to fly specific aircraft.  Plus, there are significant maintenance considerations working as well.

But just keep thinking it's a simple fix.

Considering one plane type flies between my local airport and the closest major airport, pretty sure some phone calls would work.

Also, other airlines are up and down   as scheduled

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Considering one plane type flies between my local airport and the closest major airport, pretty sure some phone calls would work.

Again,  it's just not that simple. You glossed over the time/work schedule issue. Do you know how many staff, planes and flight there are daily? For Delta, I believe its close to 5000 flights a day!

An example of a "best case" scenario was members of my family on Friday. They flew RAP-DEN-LAX. Their RAP-DEN plane and crew arrived the night before and spent the night, so no problem staffing the plane. They left 15 minutes late, but their layover in DEN lasted about 2 hours longer than planned, waiting for crew. But, in the big picture, minor.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

If you say so.  Maybe, since you are in Michigan, you could just head over to DTW and help out the DL folks there.  Or get on the phone to Ed Bastian and volunteer your services.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

Just back from a work trip in Denver on Friday. We lucked out with a direct back to Boston and only had a 75min delay around noontime. What a hellscape the airport was though, people sleeping on the floor, people yelling, crying. Not good. All blue screens of death on every monitor in the airport. No Bueno.

All from a windows update deployed.  The hackers out there are watching with keen interest.

• Haha 1