The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 24th, 2024

Today is Cousins Day, International Self Care Day, and National Drive-Thru Day

Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it. -- Sam Levenson

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetable Weight-Loss Soup
Drink of the Day - Whiskey Sour
Wine of the Day - Mionetto-Luxury-Superiore-di-Cartizze
Destination of the Day - Red Bay, Labrador, Canada

Today in History:
1534 Jacques Cartier lands in what is now Canada, claims it for France
1911 American explorer Hiram Bingham discovers Machu Picchu, the Lost City of the Incas

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Haines, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Heimaey, Westman Islands eta 07-25

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 1000-2130

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Sandnessjoen, Norway 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 08:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Corner Brook NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 08:00 - 17:00

0724Atlantic.thumb.png.ca144ff14634146ff0e6772df2e1e68e.png

0724Alaska.thumb.png.21d6df83c1285990b58437202223a21d.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 29

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

77 this AM with a high of 94, at least the forecast has us having slight breezes which will help on the golf course today.

Good selection of days.

The quote is funny from a guy whose name I haven’t heard in decades, I remember him being a panelist on a lot of game shows in the 1950s like What’s My Line.

I’ll try the meal.

I like a whiskey sour once in awhile.

We have been to Canada quite a few times but never made it up to Labrador and it’s not on my bucket list.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  I finished exercise and breakfast and am ready to tackle the day including the Daily.  Yesterday we got quite a bit of rain starting around 2 pm.  Many times with thunder and lightning up to the time I went to bed last night.  Today it is once again 71F, cloudy with a high temp of 87F.  We expect more thunderstorms and showers this afternoon.  The weather is in a rut!

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  It’s great we have a cousins day to celebrate that family relationship.  Self care day can help focus on a healthy lifestyle.  Drive-thru day champions an easy way to get your meal without leaving your car.  Interesting quote.  If there is a soup that aids in weight loss I’m sure it would be very popular.  I think I’ll pass on the whiskey sour and the wine.  Two big events in exploration history.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports.

Prayers for all on the Care list.  Tana, Jacqui @kazu, Debbie @dfish, Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, Vanessa @JazzyV, Elizabeth @Haljo1935, Roy @rafinmd, Terri @Cruzin Terri, Joy’s @Seasick Sailor DS Bonnie, and I do hope I haven’t forgotten someone in real need of improvement.  Prayers for the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still living, and our troops at sea and on bases in the region.  Also for DB and twin sister.  Alex and Jordan are thankful for prayers for their sons and are ecstatic they arrived safely yesterday.  Thank you for your prayers!  Cheers to everyone celebrating special events and cruising.  Dixie @summer slope I hope you are enjoying celebrating your birthday this week with your siblings.  It's great they could all surprise you like that.  Have fun!  Much appreciation Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping today!

The port of the day is Red Bay, Labrador, Canada.  This was the port before on June 24, 2021, Dec. 7, 2022 and June 14, 2023.  We visited there in 2018.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Here’s what you want to know about Alex and Jordan’s twins.  I’m told they both weighed 6 pounds, 13 ounces which is a great size.  They were given the names Clement John and Declan George.  John is Jordan’s Dad’s name and George was Alex’s Granddad’s name. Here are the photos I promised.  Grandma Lisa, my niece, is sooo happy and excited! 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Hope everyone has a very good day!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 38
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Report.

Hot and humid here with a chance of thunderstorms. 

Interesting days to celebrate.

Love the quote.

Looking forward to seeing recipes for today's meal, but I'll probably save it for fall (even though I need to lose weight now 🙁).  I'd like a whisky sour and I hope the wine isn't too expensive.

I've never been to Labrador.

Prayers for so many.  Happy for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific day.  Stay cool.

• Like 36

Happy Hump Day! 🐪 Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information.

Well, it looks like I won’t be able to open the house for a bit of fresh air today. I’ll only open the windows if it’s 69°F and below, and the lowest this morning (in about 2.5 hours) will be 71°F. 😳

DH did a “little” repair to our master bath. The floor around the toilet was a little “soft” so he replaced the toilet and floorboards around it, and painted the whole bathroom. We’re giving the paint a couple more days to dry until we use the shower but now we have 2 toilets again. 

Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

IMG_3412.thumb.jpeg.0b35ce19a5cf7e9751a86cc96f6eee32.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Here’s what you want to know about Alex and Jordan’s twins.  I’m told they both weighed 6 pounds, 13 ounces which is a great size.  They were given the names Clement John and Declan George.  John is Jordan’s Dad’s name and George was Alex’s Granddad’s name. Here are the photos I promised.  Grandma Lisa, my niece, is sooo happy and excited! 

How sweet! 🥰 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Kazu recovering from stents placed for leg/foot pain

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Ottahand7’s DB Nick post re-do knee replacement, at home, knee swollen

Hogladyrider’s SO with memory issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s identical twins born 7/23!

Dfish’s successful nerve ablation

Cruzin Terri’s arm feeling better

Nickelpenny’s great job laying tiles on her hutch

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam July 27 to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland

Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 21
  • Thanks 21

We were in Red Bay on Aug. 26, 2018 on the Seabourn Quest on our Iceland/Greenland/Canada cruise.  What a fabulous itinerary!  I would do that again and have done similar on HAL.  Just not to the extent Seabourn does it.

Red Bay was the buggiest place I'd ever visited.  Even with bug spray on the bugs found a couple of spots to bite me on the back of the neck near both ears.  My hair was covering it too.  The following day I found all those itchy red spots hiding out back there.

Here are my favorite sights in Red Bay, population 142.

Someone was busy

Probably the only restaurant in town.

A cute church

An interpretive center had a small display on whaling in Red Bay.

The deck on the back of the interpretive center building

This is Saddle Island, right across from the dock area.

There was a hiking trail on this peninsula that some of the passengers hiked on.  Not me!

A close up of a viewing platform at the trail's end.

A view back to the town from the ship.  All day long there was a whale surfacing in that bay, first along the dock area where the tenders went and then alongside the ship in the afternoon.  Unfortunately he was too fast for me because I never got him in a photo.  Just lots of pictures of the water!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 13

The whiskey sour is a mixed drink containing whiskey, lemon juice, sugar, and optionally, a dash of egg white or cocktails foamer. With the egg white, it is sometimes called a Boston Sour. With a few bar spoons of full-bodied red wine floated on top, it is often referred to as a New York

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Bourbon whiskey,
1 dash egg white,
1 oz (2 parts) Fresh lemon juice,
1/2 oz (1 part) Gomme syrup

Preparation:
Shake with ice. Strain into ice-filled old-fashioned glass to serve "on the rocks."
Standard garnish: Lemon rind, Maraschino cherry, Orange slice, Sugared glass

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 6.55.42 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 22

Nancy @ottahand7 I'm sorry I forgot to mention your DB with his knee problems.  Joint replacements are common in my family and I hope I don't have to go through it.  Dad had a hip replacement, DB has had knee replacements, twin sis has had both knee replaced and is getting a shoulder replacement Aug. 16. My DD DS Nancy had knee replacement too.  Your brother has certainly had the worst experience I've heard of yet.  I hope something can be done to help him and send my prayers to him.  The pain must be awful!🙏

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today’s temperatures should only get into the 70’s but with high humidity.  I think I’ll try to give the ac a rest.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good as I like a good soup. @StLouisCruisers I’m glad that you rented a car and drove home Saturday.  Delta is still a hot mess at Logan with flights still getting cancelled.  
I hope everyone has a good day. 

image.png.2eae13b1e26ce0583533064260db0052.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good afternoon from a sunny 68°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

I have several cousins.

It is my favourite cousin Yvonnes birthday today.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240724_120154.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from the Zuiderdam

Beautiful day here in Newfoundland. Bight blue sunny skies and 61 degrees. 
DH is on an excursion, I will go when he comes back. Not very accessible for DD. Although they have brought a group of Labradors by the ship . She will love seeing them! 
     Nice selection of days. We will be in Red Bay tomorrow. 
      @StLouisCruisers beautiful pictures of the new babies! Excellent news for the family. 
     This trip is going well. We have enjoyed the shows and the food has been very good. A lot of fish, which we like. Met a couple last nite that recognized my DD from the Noordam. So we sat and had a good. chat. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank for the kind comments about my DB @StLouisCruisers. Congratulations to you DNs family's cause to celebrate, healthy twins Declan and Clement.  

Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.   We go to the drive through rarely but are grateful for the convenience.   Self care in important, at least do the easy one floss daily.  I pray for my DC daily, he has the family curse rheumatoid arthritis and on top of that fibromyalgia.  Thanks for the lovely photos of today's port Sandi! Sam Levenson was a hoot and a good quote.  Pass on the weight loss soup, I think it is based on cabbage ugh.  I would love a well made whiskey sour and I'll have to wait on the obscure wine.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Thanks for adding my DB again, he could use some prayers.  Prayers for Tana and Terry and Chuck and Annie, what they share with us is just scratching the surface of their daily trials.  Prayers for continued healing for Jacqui and successful progress on selling her home.  Thank for the update on your cancer diagnosis Ann I pray for a great treatment path and 100 % remission.  Prayers for Terri, all battling COVID and anyone ailing or grieving.  Prayers for the hostages return and a cease fire in Gaza.  Prayers for Ukraine. 

I am going to go to town to get bait and bird food for the outside creatures.  It is cool now but the hot and humid return for the weekend.   Maybe some fishing if it remains cloudy.  Have a happy hump day!  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Graham @grapau27 happy birthday to your cousin Yvonne today. Do you get to see her often?

The twins were born yesterday on what would have been my DD DMIL's 98th birthday.  Lisa thought that was a nice outcome.  Lisa and her sister used to go visit her at the nursing facility once in a while, which we really appreciated since they weren't even blood relatives.  My DD DS Nancy brought those girls up right!

Charlene @cunnorl I hope you have a good day in Corner Brook.  Did you bring nets to wear over your hats?  If not use some insect repellant in Red Bay.  Maybe it isn't even biting fly season yet.  Enjoy your time in Red Bay and watch out for that frisky whale!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I finished exercise and breakfast and am ready to tackle the day including the Daily.  Yesterday we got quite a bit of rain starting around 2 pm.  Many times with thunder and lightning up to the time I went to bed last night.  Today it is once again 71F, cloudy with a high temp of 87F.  We expect more thunderstorms and showers this afternoon.  The weather is in a rut!

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  It’s great we have a cousins day to celebrate that family relationship.  Self care day can help focus on a healthy lifestyle.  Drive-thru day champions an easy way to get your meal without leaving your car.  Interesting quote.  If there is a soup that aids in weight loss I’m sure it would be very popular.  I think I’ll pass on the whiskey sour and the wine.  Two big events in exploration history.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports.

Prayers for all on the Care list.  Tana, Jacqui @kazu, Debbie @dfish, Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, Vanessa @JazzyV, Elizabeth @Haljo1935, Roy @rafinmd, Terri @Cruzin Terri, Joy’s @Seasick Sailor DS Bonnie, and I do hope I haven’t forgotten someone in real need of improvement.  Prayers for the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still living, and our troops at sea and on bases in the region.  Also for DB and twin sister.  Alex and Jordan are thankful for prayers for their sons and are ecstatic they arrived safely yesterday.  Thank you for your prayers!  Cheers to everyone celebrating special events and cruising.  Dixie @summer slope I hope you are enjoying celebrating your birthday this week with your siblings.  It's great they could all surprise you like that.  Have fun!  Much appreciation Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping today!

The port of the day is Red Bay, Labrador, Canada.  This was the port before on June 24, 2021, Dec. 7, 2022 and June 14, 2023.  We visited there in 2018.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Hope everyone has a very good day!  Stay safe and keep well!

I'm so happy for you all Sandi.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   Three great days to celebrate today.    Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  Congratulations on the new twins.

Funny quote by Levenson.

I passed through Red Bay briefly while on a Newfoundland trip in 2000..

Three very diverse days in history but certainly a great one forwildlife conservation..

The meal sounds interesting, but I have no need to lose weight.  My alternative is Caesar Salad, Pasta Parcel with Zucchini Ribbons, and Topfen Palatschinken, the Mariner Brunch on my first Prinssendam cruise, with the brunch on August 3, 2011.

Old age is no picnic.  Last night I was very bothered by a head and neck pain that made it almost impossible to find a comfortable sleeping position.  I plan to head off to Urgent Care shortly as Ibuprofin has not helped.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

38 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We were in Red Bay on Aug. 26, 2018 on the Seabourn Quest on our Iceland/Greenland/Canada cruise.  What a fabulous itinerary!  I would do that again and have done similar on HAL.  Just not to the extent Seabourn does it.

Red Bay was the buggiest place I'd ever visited.  Even with bug spray on the bugs found a couple of spots to bite me on the back of the neck near both ears.  My hair was covering it too.  The following day I found all those itchy red spots hiding out back there.

Here are my favorite sights in Red Bay, population 142.

Someone was busy

Probably the only restaurant in town.

A cute church

An interpretive center had a small display on whaling in Red Bay.

The deck on the back of the interpretive center building

This is Saddle Island, right across from the dock area.

There was a hiking trail on this peninsula that some of the passengers hiked on.  Not me!

A close up of a viewing platform at the trail's end.

A view back to the town from the ship.  All day long there was a whale surfacing in that bay, first along the dock area where the tenders went and then alongside the ship in the afternoon.  Unfortunately he was too fast for me because I never got him in a photo.  Just lots of pictures of the water!

Nice photos Sandi.

Those Mosquitoes love me too so I will not go to today's port especially as there are no shops for Pauline 😀

• Like 13
  • Haha 9

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham @grapau27 happy birthday to your cousin Yvonne today. Do you get to see her often?

The twins were born yesterday on what would have been my DD DMIL's 98th birthday.  Lisa thought that was a nice outcome.  Lisa and her sister used to go visit her at the nursing facility once in a while, which we really appreciated since they weren't even blood relatives.  My DD DS Nancy brought those girls up right!

Charlene @cunnorl I hope you have a good day in Corner Brook.  Did you bring nets to wear over your hats?  If not use some insect repellant in Red Bay.  Maybe it isn't even biting fly season yet.  Enjoy your time in Red Bay and watch out for that frisky whale!

Thank you Sandi.

She lives 200 miles from us unfortunately but we text regularly.

Her mam and dad live close to her and her husband.

Her mam was my late mam's favourite sister and Pauline rings her mam regularly for a chat like my mam used to.

• Like 22

I want to know what vegetables are in the soup before I commit, and also how it makes vegetables lose weight. I'm ready for a whiskey sour now. The wine is a high-quality Prosecco from the Venete region. We'll go for as much history as there is in the American wine business with the Pleasant Valley Wine Company, founded in 1860 and U.S. Bonded Winery #1. It was a family business until 1955, then owned by various large corporations including Coca-Cola and Seagram's, but has again been family-owned since 1995. The Millenium Brut, $17.99, is a modern style sparkling wine, made from Chardonnay grown near Seneca Lake even though the winery is on Keuka Lake.

MrPretentious.thumb.jpg.d2cb1e58eb1ddcbce5dcdfd4f4b21af0.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 14

Good morning. Currently 80 degrees with a forecasted high of 89. Our granddaughter has had an ear ache from swimming and was being treated. Yesterday, she got worse and had a low grade fever. We took her to Urgent Care and she also has an inner ear ( otitis media) so more meds. Poor gal is not having a very good time at Nana and Pop Pop’s.

Semi annual AC/heating inspection has turned expensive. We bought this house new in 1995 so it’s coming up on 30 years old. Most air duct systems have a lifetime of 15-20 years. We have been having some allergy like symptoms inside and an inspection inside the ducts revealed it’s time to replace all. We will have it done in November when it’s a little cooler. New systems are much more efficient and effective.
Had two biopsies done at dermatology and will find out the results Aug. 8.

Our house cleaner will arrive in an hour so it will be nice to have a freshly clean house.

So that’s what’s happening at our house. Don’t feel it’s necessary to thank everyone personally every day but do know you’re all appreciated in your contributions to the Daily. Have a great day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.5e5e92d127837404b7fa3f83d58a2e62.jpegimage.jpeg.5d5855c1862d90c331330f6474edab09.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Haha 14

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is another lovely morning, but there is already a hint of humidity in the air. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Hopefully you will feel better. Soon. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores and maybe some pool time. 

IMG_2930.jpeg.9ed4792f7248b58cff70c210a91de713.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg.cae51372d3af661978b9fe48a5a2f0fa.jpeg

IMG_2366.jpeg.f5739bd85804dd2874b6acd1c8c3347c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that today is a good day & you want to eat. 
Chuck, praying that your medical team finds a better medication for you and that today is a good day!

Cheers to all who are celebrating!  I am putting you here today, Debbie! Thrilled to read the ablation has helped. 

Sandi, those boys are precious! 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Mionetto-Luxury-Superiore-di-Cartizze

This Italian Prosecco has received numerous prestigious awards. It sounds lovely. Has a great many consumer fans and has a decent price. Online prices start at $34.98. 

Winemaker’s notes

Founded in 1887 by Francesco Mionetto in the small village of Valdobbiadene, Mionetto has an established reputation for quality, tradition and innovation. In the heart of the Prosecco region, Mionetto produces exceptional wines with consistent national and international acclaim. 
PRODUCTION AREA: 

Hills of the famous and very limited area of Cartizze, in the heart of the Prosecco Superiore DOCG Valdobbiadene zone. A portion of territory particularly happy for its position, soil and microclimate, where the Glera grape reaches its maximum qualitative expression.
REGION: Veneto
APPELLATION:
Cartizze, D.O.C.G. The select grapes for this limited production sparkling wine are grown exclusively in a 246-acre area in the steepest hills of Valdobbiadene.
GRAPE VARIETY:
Glera D.O.C.G. Cartizze
HARVEST PERIOD:
Grapes are harvested in the second half of September
VINIFICATION:
Wine made from the soft pressing of the grapes with must separated from the skins. Secondary fermentation (Charmat method) in temperature-controlled stainless steel.
APPEARANCE:
Golden bright reflection with a fine, intense perlage
BOUQUET:
Intense aromas of pear and apple with undertones of citrus 
PALATE:
Soft, creamy and fresh with an aftertaste of sugared almonds
ALCOHOL: 
11%
SERVING TEMPERATURE: 
We recommend serving it gradually chilled to a temperature of 6°- 8° C. 
FOOD PAIRINGS: 
Well-suited to important occasions, it makes an excellent accompaniment to desserts, cakes, pastries, fruit salads and tarts. Also matches admirably with shellfish and elegant fish dishes. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 3

Thank you for the Dailys!!!

I have some wonderful cousins and I'll wish them well, today!  And, I'll drive-thru and pick up a prescription today!!  As for Self-Care, what a wonderful thing to remember!!!

I've heard of and tried Weight-Loss soup...  Tastes great the first day!!!

I'll take a Whiskey Sour and I'll try the wine...  It would be new to me!

I've been to Canada -- but not to Labrador!!!

As for temptation...  it's so easy to find everywhere...  I'll use my strength to stay away!!!

Have a fun day!!!

• Like 31

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Rainy day today. Lots of paperwork stuff to do. Grading of assignments as well. Now that I am working from home, it is easy for me to forget that I need to get out for my own sanity. Hopefully as it cools down, I will take Fancy out to the park more often. 77 days until my cruise!

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Wednesday Angry Cat Memes

• Like 30