The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 24th, 2024

Good morning. We have an”oppressive “ amount of humidity and some rain today. DD DH and I went to the port on the VOV. DB and I walked out to the viewing platform in Sandi’s pictures. We were surrounded by the biting flies. I wanted a hat like Debbie’s.

I could certainly stand to lose some weight and might try the soup later this week. I am making bean and pasta soup this morning that has been requested by Tana. 
My cousins are always celebrated and I am not much for fast food or drive ins.I am scheduling a haircut next week for the frizzy “alpaca” hairdo . It grows outward into a triangle daily in this fine weather.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, congratulations on the twins and thank you for the pictures. They are beautiful!

@JazzyV, I found the vestibular rehab very helpful . I hope you get relief soon. It is very challenging to deal with.

@ottahand7, I am sorry to read of your DB’s continued knee problems. I can’t even imagine the pain he is in and the loss of function is terrible. Sending my prayers for him.

@grapau27, love those lunches and dinners! 

@rafinmd, I hope that you get answers at Urgent Care. 

take care all

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, rich and thank to our F & B team.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers the twins are adorable ❤️ 

Of today’s days, I’ll be celebrating self - care.  heck, I’ve been celebrating it for a few days 😝 I did try the stairs yesterday - ouch - but the ouch was after I got back down at least.  Did them a couple of times but being a good doobie and all is gradual and not too strenous.  Lifting and weights is very limited for two weeks aw is bending. If only I could get a decent sleep.   I’ve gotten creative - use the grabber to play fetch with Ivan.  He’s caught on fast!

m_-742908717186308700_com_samsung_android_email_attachmentprovider_2_17914_RAW_1720487765192.png.4382c40cdb91be5bbbb544b389de8351.png

More stair attempts today and some boxes to go upstairs in an attempt to pack them and I will have them brought down tonight when my helper comes.  Downsizing involves a LOT of stuff!

m_-742908717186308700_com_samsung_android_email_attachmentprovider_2_17919_RAW_1720487765200.png.74feff4d5f2adb41c5ef57449c322cae.png

Prayers for those on the Care list & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

Good morning and happy hump,

The weather is turning hot again today. Tomorrow DGS and I fly to Minnesota where he will meet my brothers grandson for some lake fun. DDIL and DGD will join us Saturday and meet more cousins.  DS will be on a golfing trip with a friend. Hmmm, how did that work out. 

There are a lot of our daily friends experiencing health challenges. I have been keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers. Sandy, the babies are adorable. That poor mom with at least 13 lbs of baby in her belly. She did a great job. 

I am preparing for my annual trip to Tucson with my niece.  We were lucky to meet a great group of women who let us join their group which saved us a lot of money and have the added bonus of caring fellowship. It is funny how everyone is warning me about the heat. I did not find it that bad last year and certainly nowhere near the incredibly uncomfortable heat of the GANZ cruise I experienced last winter. I can say with personal experience that the humid heat is much worse than the dry heat. 

Everyone have a great day 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It looks rather dreary outside right now.  No rain in the forecast, but that doesn't mean we won't get any!   It looks like the sky could open up and pour any minute now.  Temps will be mid 70s, so I am happy with that.  

No pain in the left leg this morning, so that is a good thing.  The best thing is that I didn't wake up with back pain this morning.  I do still have pain in the right hip and that will have to be investigated.  That will probably turn out to not be related to the back issues.  The right hip only bothers me in the early morning hours and generally can be alleviated by changing positions.  

@StLouisCruisers Clement and Declan sure are cuties!  Congratulations to the family!

@aliaschief I hope the meds help clear up the ear for your DGD.  Ear infections are the worst.

@kochleffel I fear you are correct that the vegetables are what would lose weight.  Probably all water loss.

I enjoyed seeing the pictures of Red Bay.  We were supposed to go there last year but the port was dropped when the town council disbanded and everything in town was a mess.  Next time!

This first weight loss soup does not contain cabbage, surprisingly.  Many "weight loss" soups do have a high cabbage content.  Vegetable Weight Loss Soupvegetableweightlosssoup1.jpg.c67cfe05bbcc222fd1ac9f4bbb1c3e36.jpg

I have made a cabbage based vegetable soup in the past and eaten off it for days.  I don't know that it resulted in any weight loss, but I was also in the height of my Cushing's Syndrome then.  Here is one with cabbage.  Weight Loss Vegetable Soup

vegetableweightlosssoup2.thumb.jpg.1336c87047417b73840830ffed0c0152.jpg

I used to make up the broth and then add the vegetables when I heated up enough for a meal.  Veggies like green beans and zucchini get kind of soggy if they sit in the soup.  The sturdier vegetables like carrots can go in from the start.  Of course, I'd leave carrots out entirely.  Here is the miracle cabbage soup diet plan.  Lose 7-10 pounds in a week, it says.  Cabbage Soup for Weight Loss

vegetableweightlosssoup3.jpg.83162d97a956144372f9adc7196a6170.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 18

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Got up early today to have to be poked for my doctor visit Friday. I dislike the fasting bloodwork!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Almost out the door , a bit rainy. Ugh. On our way to meet Maryland friend for lunch in Bethlehem PA. Overjoyed to see the twins!  
Overjoyed that DH had very low pressure readings yesterday and again today in that pesky left eye! We’ll see if trend holds, returning eye doctor Aug 1!  Had to share! 🤞

Blessings for all the needs here and afar each of you for sharing here, the woes and the joys! M—

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning to all and Happy Wednesday.

Thank you to all who Rich, et al who keep this thread going.

I know that I do not want the Vegetable Soup, although I could lose a few pounds.

I have not had a whiskey sour in ages, but will not indulge today.

Thank you to Vanessa for keeping up with us.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, Those twins are beautiful.  Very sweet photos.

Charlene @cunnorl i hope you enjoy your cruise.  i hope all goes well with your DD.  I know the challenges of going on vacation with a special needs person.  We did this often with DBIL.  We took him on a number of cruises and some were more challenging than others.  Prayers for you all that your cruise goes well.

Roy @rafinmd i hope you feel better and the Urgent Care can find out the cause of the pain.

DH has a Podiatrist appointment on Hilton Head today.  If it doesn’t rain, we may stay there and have lunch at a favorite restaurant.

I hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites 

Welcome to the world babies Declan and Clement! Beautiful boys!

Roy I hope you come back and let us know how it went at Urgent Care. We worry!

Prayers keep coming for our Daily friends. Tana: enjoy your dinner tonight.

Yesterday we had our pedicures then headed to our favorite fish place. It started raining like crazy, but we braved it out. We were soaked, Allen's wheelchair was squeaking through the puddles. But the fish was delicious and the rain didn't dampen our lunch.. (pun?) 

My sister has another appointment today. My niece is going with her. Thankful her girls are there, as well as many friends supporting her.

Wishing you all a blessed day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Ho Ho Ho , 5 months tonight is Christmas Eve. 
U wish I could be at the Jersey shore to celebrate. Many places have Santa visiting and have special deals, 

Springer’s ice cream is StoneHarbor had a menu of holiday flavors for the day and are serving a holiday dinner for their employees.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

@Cruzin Terri hope all goes well for your DH appt today.

@rafinmd hope urgent care is able to get you on the mend.

@StLouisCruisers thanks for sharing the pictures of the adorable twins👶👶

@aliaschief 🤞 DGD ear infection resolves quickly so she can continue her summer fun.

@kazu nice job on thinking of Grabber Fetch w/Ivan.

@ottahand7 🙏 your DB can get relief from the knee issues; it's scary how long he's struggled w/that.

@Seasick Sailor 🙏 for your

sister.

@grapau27 Happy Birthday 🎂 🥳 to your cousin Yvonne. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. We have an”oppressive “ amount of humidity and some rain today. DD DH and I went to the port on the VOV. DB and I walked out to the viewing platform in Sandi’s pictures. We were surrounded by the biting flies. I wanted a hat like Debbie’s.

I could certainly stand to lose some weight and might try the soup later this week. I am making bean and pasta soup this morning that has been requested by Tana. 
My cousins are always celebrated and I am not much for fast food or drive ins.I am scheduling a haircut next week for the frizzy “alpaca” hairdo . It grows outward into a triangle daily in this fine weather.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, congratulations on the twins and thank you for the pictures. They are beautiful!

@JazzyV, I found the vestibular rehab very helpful . I hope you get relief soon. It is very challenging to deal with.

@ottahand7, I am sorry to read of your DB’s continued knee problems. I can’t even imagine the pain he is in and the loss of function is terrible. Sending my prayers for him.

@grapau27, love those lunches and dinners! 

@rafinmd, I hope that you get answers at Urgent Care. 

take care all

Thank you Terry.

Afterwards we stopped at the beach car park to look at the sea and imagine we are sitting on our ships aft balcony.

17218264918475075134813982896351.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

The good ship Zuiderdam arrived in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, on schedule this morning at 8am, or 6:30Edt for us east coast AmericaAmericans. 

This is my first "Legendary Voyage" and I must say we are impressed. Many of the old Holland America Line traditions have returned to our surprise. Paper port maps with highlights, currency rates, etc, that went away years ago on your bed every evening. NY TIMES at the MDR in the morning. First sea day 3 onboard enrichment speakers. Live music in the Ocean Bar, classic trio in the Explorer Lounge, pool side for sailaway. Cooking demo, too. Pastry tray brought around for breakfast in MDR. 

20240722_163304.jpg

20240722_153905.jpg

20240723_183618.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  It's 73 cloudy, rain expected 80% chance....

I lost my connection to NBC, I have watched the Today show for years, so now I am watching it not live on Peacock. 

With DH's not so great report yesterday, I am letting him sleep in.  He says he knows that he should walk, and as early in the day before it gets too hot, but the right foot is still swollen, and red, and I still think he needs to see someone at ER, but he refuses to go.

Two days ago he and I talked about him retiring from his part time job, that he hates, doesnt do well at, and even before this latest botched surgery, couldnt sit for more than an hour at a time in a real chair.  He called his boss on Monday, no answer.  He tried again, no answer, and then right before we were going into the hospital his boss called him, told him to take care of himself, that he had a job when he was ready to come back to work, so DH thanked him, didn't retire, and kept saying that he really wants to work. 

I made a major decision based on his memory, I got the pill cutter out and took the drug that they want to wean him off of, and cut 7 pills in half, hid the rest of them, and put the halves in his pill bottle. Turns out that even though the pain doc told him to only take half, he had continued to take the whole pill. Now he cant. 

The docs have given him Wellbutrin with the directions on how to take it, and what day to put his smokes down, he has yet to take it properly.  So he keeps "restarting" the program.

The MRI s that he had yesterday was to see how close the cancer has grown to his brain. I am hoping that the results will be discussed when he has his next appointment with the oncologist. I have taken over all of the household chores, along with walking the neighbors dog (still) and am trying to figure out at what point do I take over his bills, and banking.

I am still sleeping on the sofa, which is not the coolest room in the house,  but I am sleeping better.  The furbaby alarm clock does not allow me to sleep past 7 no matter how many times I pet the alarm....

Last night I found out I am getting moved to another campaign, so I will be working two campaigns again. Split my time,  the bosses said.  How many hours a week?  Work as many as you can. So I will have to be working between doctor appointments.  Now I am wondering, if they aren't going to ask me to work during my vacation.🙀

Seasonal pictures from my bird sanctuary walks and "the island" walks-Stone Mountain Park..

image.thumb.jpeg.860a7192c5685426380df1a8f1ee057c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.559b8ba9530b652983e1a11def759841.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d6fa2b8ab84574a169e6d716e0f10fa7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0450b90185b0fd41ac6f1ea8df483c95.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.25bf409b0798c68fc49f07db71fa23db.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c7ad99392255bf14e8c8d0006aecfeb2.jpeg

and this is how I have been feeling recently-

image.thumb.jpeg.28cf98de29279cc9e4e4c8cbd9ed541c.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, rich and thank to our F & B team.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers the twins are adorable ❤️ 

Of today’s days, I’ll be celebrating self - care.  heck, I’ve been celebrating it for a few days 😝 I did try the stairs yesterday - ouch - but the ouch was after I got back down at least.  Did them a couple of times but being a good doobie and all is gradual and not too strenous.  Lifting and weights is very limited for two weeks aw is bending. If only I could get a decent sleep.   I’ve gotten creative - use the grabber to play fetch with Ivan.  He’s caught on fast!

m_-742908717186308700_com_samsung_android_email_attachmentprovider_2_17914_RAW_1720487765192.png.4382c40cdb91be5bbbb544b389de8351.png

More stair attempts today and some boxes to go upstairs in an attempt to pack them and I will have them brought down tonight when my helper comes.  Downsizing involves a LOT of stuff!

m_-742908717186308700_com_samsung_android_email_attachmentprovider_2_17919_RAW_1720487765200.png.74feff4d5f2adb41c5ef57449c322cae.png

Prayers for those on the Care list & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

I feel for you with the stairs.

With my  hip and knee arthritis i sometimes go up the stairs on all fours like a 🐕 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18

1 minute ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

The good ship Zuiderdam arrived in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, on schedule this morning at 8am, or 6:30Edt for us east coast AmericaAmericans. 

This is my first "Legendary Voyage" and I must say we are impressed. Many of the old Holland America Line traditions have returned to our surprise. Paper port maps with highlights, currency rates, etc, that went away years ago on your bed every evening. NY TIMES at the MDR in the morning. First sea day 3 onboard enrichment speakers. Live music in the Ocean Bar, classic trio in the Explorer Lounge, pool side for sailaway. Cooking demo, too. Pastry tray brought around for breakfast in MDR. 

20240722_163304.jpg

20240722_153905.jpg

20240723_183618.jpg

I hope they get enough feedback to return some of these legendary events on all cruises. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 24

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

Today is Cousins Day!

Love my cousins as stated in my rhyme a couple a week ago.

RedneckBob

Use to be a heart throb

Dated women by the dozen

Until he found out they were all his 1st cousins!

• Like 5
  • Haha 18

30 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

20240722_163304.jpg

20240722_153905.jpg

20240723_183618.jpg

The Classic Trio plays 3 times a day, the same performance, so more guests can hear it as the Explorers Lounge is not very large. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  As they were a lot older than me, most of my adoptive cousins have passed away, but since finding my birth family, I still have lots of blood cousins available for chats and fun.  I believe in self-care, even if it just means taking 15 minutes by yourself in a quiet room.  We use drive-thru lanes often when neither of us feels like cooking.

Another warm one for us today, starting at 21(69) and heading up to 33(91) later in the day.  We've still got high humidity (85%), but the air quality advisory has been lifted which means there isn't nearly as much smoke in the air as yesterday.  We are, however, still under a heat warning, so I'm pretty sure the a/c will be turned on later today.

We had an interesting breakfast with friends yesterday that we hadn't had a chance to get together for some time.  Topics of conversation were fairly limited for a number of reasons: he's very much the opposite of our political beliefs, so we can't discuss what's currently happening on television politically as he becomes quite over the top; over the past couple of years they basically lost their savings due to bad investments so we don't want to talk about upcoming vacations or cruises; they've had some bad things (legally) happen in their children's lives, so we couldn't talk about family.  I told DH it was hard just talking about the weather and food and grocery prices.  LOL

@StLouisCruiserscongratulations on the safe arrival of your beautiful great-nephews!

@kazuplease pace yourself!

@RMLincolngood news about DH's lower pressures!

This morning we're heading off to the Field House for the cardiac rehab program, then back home where there's always something to take care of.  I'm almost finished another blanket, just working on the edging, so would like to get it done.  DH is trying to sort out stuff in his garage . . . little things like bolts, nuts, screws, etc., and putting them into individual plastic boxes with labels on them, so that'll keep him busy until well into the next millennium, I'm sure.

I'm going to pass on the drink of the day (bourbon), would like the wine, and over the years have eaten many bowls of "weight loss soup" - much like the last recipe.  I can almost recite the recipe by heart - chicken or beef broth, canned tomatoes, canned green or yellow beans, handfuls of shredded cabbage and shredded carrots.  But I'm not about to make any of that today.  DH has coffee with his bandmates at Tim Horton's this afternoon so will be bringing home roast beef sandwiches for us to enjoy at the table on the deck this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, in wars not of their making, and in the paths of destructive fires and storms.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2