Edge Luminae - Order from main or Blu menus

49 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

At a resort you're not assigned to a specific dining room.

And you're also not typically restricted to such a limited menu.

You don’t have to eat at the “assigned” dining room..

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, tfred said:

CEO isnt writing any of this - probably not even reading the questions. More than likely some PR person who has never sailed on a ship, or if they have it is in a standard room.  

Ordering from a different restaurant at a resort is unheard of - I dont see why people think that is ok on a ship (which is just a floating resort) 

Agreed..all you are doing is slowing down service..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I was addressing the question of why people are wanting things that aren't in their assigned dining room.

Of course you don't have to eat there, and I ate at Blu a fair few times. BUT

1) there may be more of a wait at the other dining rooms as you are not their primary guest, so they prefer you eat where you are assigned, AND

2) it may only be one course e.g. the main, where the choices are better elsewhere, since Luminae's are so limited. So you might otherwise find it better to be at Luminae BUT there are no suitable main courses.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

We like to eat at the same table with the same staff each night, and like the environment of Luminae.  That preference overrides my desire to have a specific dish at another restaurant, even though I don't love the Luminae menu. 

On our last two cruises I ordered the kids filet which was perfect - sad to hear it's been dropped from the menu.  Next retreat cruise I might ask about pre-ordering the night before from a different restaurant, but I try to avoid being high maintenance.

• Like 3

On 7/27/2024 at 8:10 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I use to hate the Firestick as compared to Roku but recently using Firestick more and more at home.    When I'm up early I use my Bose Headset to not disturb Iain.   It works seamlessly with Firestick but not with Roku.   Also Firestick allows built in VPN apps while Roku has zero support.

I haven't streamed in Europe...only the Caribbean without any problems. On our last European trips we've downloaded all of our shows on our Ipads and used an Apple HDMI adapter.  To use my new Firestick, do I HAVE to have a VPN to watch Netflix, Amazon, etc? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

Jim - I'm going to move my questions to the "Using a VPN with the ship's wifi" that you have posted on since this thread is about Luminae.

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 9:58 AM, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t understand, why not go to the restaurant that has what you want?  Do folks go into McDonalds and want a Whopper because the Burger King is next door? 

Because I want something from the MDR menu and my wife wants something off the menu from Luminae... so clearly we go to Luminae. How is that hard to understand?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I appreciate all the thoughts and feedback.  I don’t eat fish, so the menus were limited versus when we eat at Blu, or the main dining room.  However, my husband loves fish and I didn’t want him to miss out on those types of dishes, especially combined with what we hope is great service.  I can always have the burger or the meat dish of the evening.  I know the other kitchens are at the opposite ends of the ship, so I may see if they can do a filet mignon (ordered the night before) one or two evenings.  Thank you!

Posted (edited)

Just off Apex 2 days ago after 19 nights.  We were told we could order off another menu but they prefer you do it in advance.  MDR is on decks 3/4 and Blu is on 5 while Luminae is on deck 12.  They can plan in advance if they know you want a dish from the MDR.  Otherwise, they must send someone when you order, which is disruptive with the kitchens so far away.  (ie - they pick up the dish up to 4 hours in advance and can re-warm it when you are ready versus they need to disrupt service and send someone down to get it).  We asked for the Beyond Burgers one day to be available for lunch the following day instead of the Retreat burger and they were able to do that with no issues.  They also made us Indian food one night when we told them one day that the Indian dinner Taj X was cancelled on our second leg of the B2B we were on.

Edited by Shiba_Lover
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

Just off Apex 2 days ago after 19 nights.  We were told we could order off another menu but they prefer you do it in advance.  MDR is on decks 3/4 and Blu is on 5 while Luminae is on deck 12.  They can plan in advance if they know you want a dish from the MDR.  Otherwise, they must send someone when you order, which is disruptive with the kitchens so far away.  (ie - they pick up the dish up to 4 hours in advance and can re-warm it when you are ready versus they need to disrupt service and send someone down to get it).  We asked for the Beyond Burgers one day to be available for lunch the following day instead of the Retreat burger and they were able to do that with no issues.  They also made us Indian food one night when we told them one day that the Indian dinner Taj X was cancelled on our second leg of the B2B we were on.

All of this sounds reasonable on both sides 

On 7/28/2024 at 8:47 AM, MNSails said:

We like to eat at the same table with the same staff each night, and like the environment of Luminae.  That preference overrides my desire to have a specific dish at another restaurant, even though I don't love the Luminae menu. 

On our last two cruises I ordered the kids filet which was perfect - sad to hear it's been dropped from the menu.  Next retreat cruise I might ask about pre-ordering the night before from a different restaurant, but I try to avoid being high maintenance.

Only problem is they also pulled the Filet off the Kid's Menu - Replaced that with a NY and then recently heard they pulled the steak completely.   It use to be the go to when nothing else interested us.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2024 at 8:40 AM, tfred said:

Ordering from a different restaurant at a resort is unheard of - I dont see why people think that is ok on a ship (which is just a floating resort) 

Probably because until Edge class, it was a service often offered, and all food was coming out of the same galley at the same end of the ship, regardless of whether Luminae, Blu, or MDR.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I cannot speak to Edge, but the people next to me in Blu on Beyond ordered a starter from one of the MDRs (Tuscan I think) and it was no problem. (The drink they wanted from there was a no-go though.) This was literally tonight.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

Just off Apex 2 days ago after 19 nights.  We were told we could order off another menu but they prefer you do it in advance. 

That's good news as we're on Apex in 2 months. After 19 days on the Reflection last fall, DH and I were so disappointed with the meals/selections that we frequently ordered off the MDR and kids menu. However, we do love the atmosphere and flexible dining times in Luminae.  We will plan every day in advance! 

20 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

That's good news as we're on Apex in 2 months. After 19 days on the Reflection last fall, DH and I were so disappointed with the meals/selections that we frequently ordered off the MDR and kids menu. However, we do love the atmosphere and flexible dining times in Luminae.  We will plan every day in advance! 

At dinner, they will show you the next night's menu ( or lunch if they are serving lunch the next day).   (app may not be 100%).  Then you can pre order if you'd like 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

At dinner, they will show you the next night's menu ( or lunch if they are serving lunch the next day).   (app may not be 100%).  Then you can pre order if you'd like 

Did you order from any other restaurants than the MDR?  I'm not trying to cause more work for them, I just wanted to know from your experience.  Did they say why they're allowing this pre-order...I know there have been many complaints regarding the limited menu?  When we returned from our Oct Reflection cruise and I was speaking to a Celebrity executive regarding a cabin issue, he said there were so many complaints regarding the "new" menu that they were going to be changing it again. 

13 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

Did you order from any other restaurants than the MDR?  I'm not trying to cause more work for them, I just wanted to know from your experience.  Did they say why they're allowing this pre-order...I know there have been many complaints regarding the limited menu?  When we returned from our Oct Reflection cruise and I was speaking to a Celebrity executive regarding a cabin issue, he said there were so many complaints regarding the "new" menu that they were going to be changing it again. 

We only ordered from the Blu menu.  Husband likes duck and lamb, so he was good with the menu.  I was ok with tweaks to the menu, like the past dish but chicken instead of shrimp/calamari.  I think the new menu is game/seafood heavy. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

We only ordered from the Blu menu.   

Thank you for all of the info!  DH and I are not duck or lamb lovers so we are limited at times. I'll check out Blu menu.  

Edited by shirazcruiser

2 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

Thank you for all of the info!  DH and I are not duck or lamb lovers so we are limited at times. I'll check out Blu menu.  

Pretty sure you could also do MDR menus.  I just didn't have a need.  Another example - there was a couple from India that were vegetarian, and they made them special meals each night.  The couple said they basically asked on the first day lunch if this could be done for the entire trip - so they were set up for the whole time.  I think they are fairly flexible as long as you can let them know in advance as opposed right at ordering time.  Other than for example - me substituting the shrimp for chicken, which is fairly simple.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, travel1light said:

Is the Luminae burger always available? (Dinner) I only see it on the lunch menu.  Thanks. 

I have seen people eating it at dinner on S-class and M-class ships but cannot tell you if they had to pre-arrange it or were able to oder.  

18 hours ago, travel1light said:

Is the Luminae burger always available? (Dinner) I only see it on the lunch menu.  Thanks. 

They will make for dinner. Just let them know either at breakfast/lunch or the night before. I ordered it for dinner twice on my last cruise. 

On 7/29/2024 at 4:52 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I cannot speak to Edge, but the people next to me in Blu on Beyond ordered a starter from one of the MDRs (Tuscan I think) and it was no problem. (The drink they wanted from there was a no-go though.) This was literally tonight.

Those kitchen are close together and at the same end of the ship. Luminae on the Beyond is on deck 16 forward the other kitchens aft and down 11 or 12 decks. 

• Like 1

Our family sailed on the Ascent in the Retreat (Luminae) this past May and we were able to get a salad from Blu two different nights.  First time it was not pre-ordered, but the second time, we ordered a day ahead. And we were able to get the filet three different evenings, I think.