Cruising next week, wife currently testing positive for Covid

Just now, PhilAndChristine said:

We are due to sail the end of next week.  My wife has been testing positive for Covid for the last 5 days.  

How worried should we be?

She doesnt want to lie on any health questions.

You should cancel if she has covid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PhilAndChristine said:

She doesnt want to lie on any health questions

In that case you’ll need to complete her health questionnaire. 

Seriously though, timing wise she’ll probably be fine but you may have it by then. 

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, PhilAndChristine said:

We are due to sail the end of next week.  My wife has been testing positive for Covid for the last 5 days.  

so you would lie on the questionnaire and risk an outbreak on the boat? stay home and let the other people on the boat enjoy their vacation 

• Like 6

Just now, maketime4cruisin said:

so you would lie on the questionnaire and risk an outbreak on the boat? stay home and let the other people on the boat enjoy their vacation 

The wife has 10 or so days to recover.  No need to even worry about it at this point.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

The wife has 10 or so days to recover.  No need to even worry about it at this point.

fair point. shows me where their head is at though that they would even think about going on the cruise anyway. hopefully she is healthy by the time the cruise leaves 

Current CDC guidelines state that she would only need to isolate until she has not had a fever for 24 hours and is off of anti fever meds. The old 5-10 day timeline is history.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Indeed. As badly as some want to go back to the 2020 guidelines, just not applicable. Common sense, common cold/flu/etc.  Treat it as such. 

• Like 21

No problem for her, she well be far past the point of contagion. You on the other hand may just be catching it and become infectious. New CDC guideline is after 24 hours of no fever you are no longer contagious. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Indeed. As badly as some want to go back to the 2020 guidelines, just not applicable. Common sense, common cold/flu/etc.  Treat it as such. 

Anecdotal, but DW contracted Covid on the third leg of our recent Adventure B3B last week. Started showing symptoms on Tuesday, spiked a fever Tuesday night, we purchased tests in San Juan on Wednesday (she tested positive), spent the last two days of the cruise avoiding everyone on board (sea day and Coco Cay), her fever broke on Thursday and she stopped taking Advil (for the fever), slept most of Saturday and Sunday, and tested negative on Monday.

• Like 3

Covid tests will continue to show positive for weeks/months after having Covid. Retesting for a negative result is not necessary, and will only be frustrating. As stated above, if symptoms are improving and more than 24 hours fever free without meds, she should be good to go. Do check yourself, however.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Local (orlando) news last night showed a segment 3 times. A family of 60 got off a cruise and 20 tested positive. They are saying port Canaveral but then the last segment they said the family got off allure which doesnt port here. They even showed a picture of PC sign. Confused ..but said florida is 1 of 7 states with high rates. 

If I have it for the last 5 days and didnt sail for over a week, if I felt ok, agree with above should be able to sail by then.

Posted (edited)

CDC guidance says at least 10 days since first symptoms AND 24 hours since last fever AND improved symptoms.

Sounds like your wife will likely be fine and I hope you are too! 

Editing to add that the guidance has changed so often, I hope this is right, but it's right from their site. 

Patients with mild to moderate illness who are not moderately to severely immunocompromised:

•  At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared and
  • At least 24 hours have passed since last fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath) have improved

https://www.cdc.gov/covid/hcp/infection-control/index.html#:~:text=At least 10 days and,shortness of breath) have improved

Edited by RW_MI
removed duplicate link
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RW_MI said:

CDC guidance says at least 10 days since first symptoms AND 24 hours since last fever AND improved symptoms.

Sounds like your wife will likely be fine and I hope you are too! 

Editing to add that the guidance has changed so often, I hope this is right, but it's right from their site. 

Patients with mild to moderate illness who are not moderately to severely immunocompromised:

•  At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared and
  • At least 24 hours have passed since last fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath) have improved

https://www.cdc.gov/covid/hcp/infection-control/index.html#:~:text=At least 10 days and,shortness of breath) have improved

You're citing health care facility guidance, not general public.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Local (Orlando) news last night showed a segment 3 times. A family of 60 got off a cruise and 20 tested positive. They are saying port Canaveral but then the last segment they said the family got off allure which doesn't port here. They even showed a picture of PC sign. Confused ..but said Florida is 1 of 7 states with high rates. 

If I have it for the last 5 days and didn't sail for over a week, if I felt ok, agree with above should be able to sail by then.

They would have gotten off of Allure in PC. We were docked next to her in Coco Cay on Thursday on her last voyage out of PC on the 19th. (which is probably when DW contracted Covid, because we spent quite a lot of the day Thursday on the island in the crowds). She came in to PC that Friday, disembarked her passengers and then deadheaded to Miami. Utopia arrived shortly after she left and boarded her first revenue generating cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

Anecdotal, but DW contracted Covid on the third leg of our recent Adventure B3B last week. Started showing symptoms on Tuesday, spiked a fever Tuesday night, we purchased tests in San Juan on Wednesday (she tested positive), spent the last two days of the cruise avoiding everyone on board (sea day and Coco Cay), her fever broke on Thursday and she stopped taking Advil (for the fever), slept most of Saturday and Sunday, and tested negative on Monday.

Sorry to hear the last leg of your cruise was impacted.   

5 hours ago, Jetmama1 said:

Covid tests will continue to show positive for weeks/months after having Covid. Retesting for a negative result is not necessary, and will only be frustrating. As stated above, if symptoms are improving and more than 24 hours fever free without meds, she should be good to go. Do check yourself, however.

Is this true??????????????

12 hours ago, PhilAndChristine said:

Stop testing = no poblem

• Like 4
  • Haha 4