favorite treats in international cafe/ mdr

kitkat343

Counting days till getting my daily almond croissants for breakfast. I've never seen Pavlova, but will pay more attention next time. Brie sandwiches and few other varieties are really good.

• Like 3

Brie sandwiches definitely get them heated up, so good. Personally I don’t get the rave about the almond croissants, but each their own. They used to have a chicken salad that I loved, but they don’t do that anymore 😞

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I will definitely ask on my next cruise. Thank you so much! 

I've just been thinking that although the pavlova doesn't have dairy the ships chef will probably lather it in cream. 😝 So sorry to get you all excited about it.  Maybe you can cut off the creamy top and give it to your travelling partner. They will love you forever! 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rocker57 said:

Brie sandwiches definitely get them heated up, so good. Personally I don’t get the rave about the almond croissants, but each their own. They used to have a chicken salad that I loved, but they don’t do that anymore 😞

I remember the chicken salad, Rocker…it was delicious! I also remember the Greek salad which was so yummy. I don’t know why they stopped serving these items at the IC.

• Like 3

I don’t eat sweets.  But my go-to late night snack is a tuna salad croissant from the IC.  In the morning, I always look for wedges of fresh grapefruit.

15 hours ago, Kay S said:

Custard filled donuts if you can get them. 

I think that's been loooong gone. Before the pandemic IC had nutella-filled donuts. Long gone.

My favorite is still mini egg muffins for breakfast (3 flavors).

• Thanks 1

Monkey Bread (usually only one morning on 7 night sailing)

Cinnamon rolls - again, once a 7 nighter. Both need to be warm to be optimal, but delicious cold also.

Pretzel bread turkey sandwich 

Ham and cheese croissant 

Mortadella sandwich.

Steak and Guinness pie

Watermelon feta salad

Double chocolate cookies

Brie sandwich 

MDR:

Pumpkin walnut crepes

Souffles 

Sorbets (different every day, light and refreshing)

Vietnamese spring rolls

Salmon cake with poached egg and hollandaise 

Fettuccine Alfredo 

Penne ariabatta when they do it fresh 

Salmon 

Plenty more yummies - enjoy exploring the different tastes!

• Like 2

Add another vote for the chocolate chip brioche. They only seem to have them like once every couple of days so I usually get a ziploc and load it up when they have it out... that stuff is SO good!!!

Those fresh, out of the oven, almond croissants are in a league of their own.  They have to be warm, otherwise is not the same.   The quiche is also delicious.  Makes a perfect lunch.

17 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Five Princess cruises in the last year.  We have never eaten at the IC.  The line has always been way too long for us.

You are probably looking at the line for coffee. It's never much of a wait to get food.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You are probably looking at the line for coffee. It's never much of a wait to get food.

I think it's a function of time of day.  Lunch lines are always longer for food in my experience.  People freshly back from excursions can cause food lines, too.  Since the advent of the app, I have taken to ordering my latte on the app and having it brought to me while I sit near the IC (if I can find a table!)  I haven't tried that with the food, though. 

1 hour ago, talkorpi said:

Add another vote for the chocolate chip brioche. They only seem to have them like once every couple of days so I usually get a ziploc and load it up when they have it out... that stuff is SO good!!!

Some ships don’t have them at the IC. However, if you ask the IC manager, they will let the Chef know, and get them more often!  Yeah!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I think it's a function of time of day.  Lunch lines are always longer for food in my experience.  People freshly back from excursions can cause food lines, too.  Since the advent of the app, I have taken to ordering my latte on the app and having it brought to me while I sit near the IC (if I can find a table!)  I haven't tried that with the food, though. 

Thanks for the tip using the app. Sailing Princess next year (last time 2016) so the medallion thing and ordering on the app is going to be new to us. I remember when getting morning coffee the place was a zoo and then finding a place to sit was near impossible. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ellbelle said:

I remember when getting morning coffee the place was a zoo

we got a fancy coffee at IC several times a day (including in the morning on the way to the buffet)  on a full cruise on Enchanted, and it was never a zoo. Once in a while the coffee  line was 5 people deep (the horror!), but, goodness, that's nothing and it goes so quickly.

Also, on Royal class this same fancy coffee is available at the Horizon bistro in the buffet. I'd get an iced one at the IC, and then a couple of hot ones for my parents and DH in the buffet. 

We always cruise during school breaks, so the ships are always full to the brim.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On ships with a Coffee and Cones you can get your snazzy coffee there and on ships with the Princess Live Cafe you can get it there. On Grand Princess we almost always got our morning coffee at Coffee and Cones. It was quick and there was rarely a wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we got a fancy coffee at IC several times a day (including in the morning on the way to the buffet)  on a full cruise on Enchanted, and it was never a zoo. Once in a while the coffee  line was 5 people deep (the horror!), but, goodness, that's nothing and it goes so quickly.

Also, on Royal class this same fancy coffee is available at the Horizon bistro in the buffet. I'd get an iced one at the IC, and then a couple of hot ones for my parents and DH in the buffet. 

We always cruise during school breaks, so the ships are always full to the brim.

Thanks. We’ll be on Ruby Princess so any tips are welcome! Our last experience was Caribbean Princess and it seems like everyone wanted coffee at the same time and food too. It was a transatlantic and the weather wasn’t great so more people were indoors, they even brought in tables and chairs from the pool area for extra seating. We were twice on Grand Princess and it was busy but not intolerable, hoping for same. We’re old pros on Holland America, thankfully their coffee is decent in the Lido and you can easily find a table under the covered pool deck. 

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

On ships with a Coffee and Cones you can get your snazzy coffee there and on ships with the Princess Live Cafe you can get it there. On Grand Princess we almost always got our morning coffee at Coffee and Cones. It was quick and there was rarely a wait.

And on Sapphire I could get my lattes at the pool bar after 6:00AM, before that it was the IC but nice other areas have the machines now.

They have these sliced breads that are terrific with coffee.  I just can't remember exactly.  It was like banana bread, which they also have, but something else.

This thread makes me wish October would get here quick.  I loved the Emerald Princess in '18, many of the things listed above!  Early riser, never had to wait for coffee.  After a few visits, they would see me coming and ask if I wanted the usual!  At lunch I had the tomato and mozzarella flatbread toasted.  On board for 30 days, never went to the buffet, had enough to eat at the IC for breakfast/lunch. 

• Like 1