Removing Gratuities Onboard at Guest Services

Anybody who wants to remove auto-gratuities and tip cash.  Your decision of course.  But maybe let your waitstaff and room attendants know that is what you are doing.  Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 6:12 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

You will get opinions that run the gamut on whether or not staff knows you removed the gratuities.  I don't know if they are aware or not (I tend to think not) nor do I care.

I have removed the daily gratuity every cruise for years, and have never seen any degradation in service, just like always there are some that excel at their job, and others that are just getting by.

Totally agree. I remove as well, first thing done.

I don’t see why people are so obsessed about the DSC, it is only a fraction of the total cost of your cruise. I find that it’s easier to keep the DSC in place. I can enjoy my cruise knowing that I contributed to the crew members compensation that they agreed to when they signed their contract. If someone goes over and above, I give them an additional cash tip.

We are so fortunate to have the time and money to go on a cruise. I don’t see why some people try to find a way to alter the agreed upon method that the crew gets paid to try to save some money at the expense of crew members that come from parts of the world that don’t have the same opportunities that we have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The Philippines and Indonesia tax overseas earnings, two of the largest suppliers of cruise ship crew.  Also, ship's crew are not considered "overseas residents" when on a ship.

“OFWs are generally exempt from Philippine income tax on their earnings abroad, provided they qualify as OFWs.”

(OFW = Overseas Filipino Workers)

“Philippine Republic Act 8424, otherwise known as the Tax Reform Act of 1997, which took effect on 1 January 1998 and which amended the National Internal Revenue Code of the Philippines provides that Filipino overseas contract workers, seamen and permanent residents abroad are exempt from paying tax for income derived outside of the Philippines starting tax year 1998. However, they were still required to file an Income Information Return. By the year 2001, all Filipino overseas were eventually exempted even from filing an Income Information Return.“

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Biker, who wonders what the mods' tolerance for this thread will be before locking.

Likewise. This thread has been as entertaining as watching preschoolers on the playground. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Anybody who wants to remove auto-gratuities and tip cash.  Your decision of course.  But maybe let your waitstaff and room attendants know that is what you are doing.  Just a suggestion.

I have that discussion with my room steward on day one

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Vibe said:

I can enjoy my cruise knowing that I contributed to the crew members compensation

I made this contribution when I authorized RCL to charge my AMEX $5000. Anything above and beyond that is on my terms. 

Nothing on these threads will change my mind about this, and I will never convince anyone with the opposing view to see it my way. 

C’est La Vie

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

As I've said, it is the "stick" in the carrot/stick model of management.  And, it makes the ones who did perform well, yet got reduced salary apply pressure to their colleagues who didn't. 

Thankfully I’ve never had to work for a corporation that uses these tactics.

For the crew to be critical of each in order to receive a decent salary, IMO it should be management’s responsibility to do that.  Why else even have someone in charge of the crew if they’re depending on other crewmembers to push their colleagues. 

The sad part here is that I think that many who remove tips do so not due to bad service. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Most reports indicate the viewing of such lists happened in crew limited areas - I think that's what the chief meant.

Biker, who wonders what the mods' tolerance for this thread will be before locking.

I’m actually glad this thread got to this point, it was very informative and cleared up all the confusion, AND potentially puts an end to all the “tipping” threads.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’m actually glad this thread got to this point, it was very informative and cleared up all the confusion, AND potentially puts an end to all the “tipping” threads.

There’s nothing in this thread that hasn’t been beaten to death in previous tipping threads in the last 10+ years. 

• Like 9

If only there was a solution? 

If only we could stop fretting about A.I feverishly sourcing the missile launch codes or our washing machines plotting to kill us! 

My hopes in this regard were dashed when the Bionic bar robots auto charged me an 18% gratuity!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

There’s nothing in this thread that hasn’t been beaten to death in previous tipping threads in the last 10+ years. 

And nothing to indicate that this will be the end of tipping threads where it will all get hashed out again without a single new thought. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tree_skier said:

You're to late!  This thread is all played out.  Set your alarm for the start of the next one 🙂 

I should have added "grabbing More Popcorn! LOL I have posted a few times  asking the OP if he wanted any and got drinks another time too! 😄

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And nothing to indicate that this will be the end of tipping threads where it will all get hashed out again without a single new thought. 

My guess is a new tipping thread will start in less than two weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I know better than to get involved in "tipping" threads, so I should have kept quiet.  But, I have stated two facts, the DSC removal list exists, and removal of DSC does affect the crew's compensation.  Done.

Yes you do @chengkp75. Thank you for all of your excellent contributions to so many different threads over the years ... the extensive Panama Canal thread(s) also come to mind

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 7:02 AM, andrewwilliamnewman said:

Hello all.

I know this is a touchy topic, so I thought I would ask to gauge opinions, and find information from those that have done this...

If you go to guest services onboard and remove gratuities (I know its frowned upon but hear me out...), do your dining staff/stateroom attendant get informed of this?

I like to tip in cash, so I know the money goes directly to the people that go out of their way to help me out, so this ambiguous daily charge, is thought provoking as you don't know who gets it, and exactly at what percentage.

$18pd/pp for a 1 week is $252 (2 person).

Surely tipping for example $100 to stateroom, $50 each to dining server/attendant, $50 split to people who help you throughout the week is a better way of making sure the staff that support you are paid what they deserve?

I just worry that by remove onboard gratuities at guest services on day 1/2, and these staff you see daily being informed about it in advance (or having a black mark on your account or something) before the usual last day tipping frenzy of the above, could lead to lacklustre service/attentiveness throughout the cruise.

Let me know your thoughts, better ideas, and experiences.

I look at tipping threads as click bait.  Everyone has their own opinion.  Do what you want and what fits your individual situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

I look at tipping threads as click bait.  Everyone has their own opinion.  Do what you want and what fits your individual situation.

This is CC where only your way is the correct way and everyone else must be converted and convinced to step out of the darkness into the light.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2024 at 7:37 AM, Charles4515 said:

You left out that some choose to remove gratuities and pay nothing. If you believe that most who remove gratuities pay anything in cash there is a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. 

Also why would someone care if the crew knows they removed gratuities if they are going to pay in cash? Think about it…..

I actually tell the room steward I removed the auto when I give them the first $25.   This is just slightly over what they would have received if I had left it on the account.   Several have told me they actually prefer cash.   Then I add more on the last day depending on how good the service has been.   As a solo I really keep everything put up, only ask for a paper Compass each night and ice at night, and I use the towels for 3 or 4 days before putting them on the floor to be replaced.   Only once have I not added more money at the end and that was only because I never got the ice or the paper compass.   Usually I add another $25 at the end.

On 8/23/2024 at 11:32 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

You are 100% correct.  The crew base salary is GUARANTEED by the cruise line and international labor laws.  Your auto gratuity goes to making this happen, if the "fund" falls short then the cruise line makes up the difference.  Your participation in the auto gratuity makes little to no difference in the pay packet of the crew members included in the pool.

Cash on the other hand makes a big difference.

This is the most accurate information in all these pages of posts!!!!

13 minutes ago, 3yorkies said:

That is what every one I have asked has said.    Over 20 over the years at least.  

20 years ago was there even such a thing as autogratuities? Cash was king. I think it still is.

• Like 1