Why do the navigation maps on the Celebrity TV channel look like they are antiques ?

We are currently on Eclipse finishing our 12 night cruise from Newark to Reykjavik, Iceland. It has been very enjoyable with much great scenery. When we turn on the tv to the navigation channel, all the graphics and maps look 20 years old. They look exactly the same as what we saw on our very first cruise years ago.  I don’t know if other cruise lines are as bad.

• Haha 2

I get the impression that Celebrity is not investing in upgraded tech for M and S Class ships.  On our last Reflection cruise, they had no good seating technology.  It took three crew members to seat guests in the MDR at breakfast:  the hostess walkie talking to a crew member wandering the MDR identifying open tables and another to find the open table in which to seat the guests.  

Conversely, on Allure this past May, the MDR had the newest seating app at the hostess stand, where open tables could be viewed there, without all of the old-fashioned running around.  

1 hour ago, Atarangi957 said:

We are currently on Eclipse finishing our 12 night cruise from Newark to Reykjavik, Iceland. It has been very enjoyable with much great scenery. When we turn on the tv to the navigation channel, all the graphics and maps look 20 years old. They look exactly the same as what we saw on our very first cruise years ago.  I don’t know if other cruise lines are as bad.

Just give me the info on that channel, it’s basically all I watch while in the cabin…

With all the clarity and sharpness that tvs have now I just think Celebrity uses the lowest level technology from 20 years ago. It would be nice to easily read the names on the maps. What do these tv navigations maps look like on the E class or others lines tvs?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Atarangi957 said:

With all the clarity and sharpness that tvs have now I just think Celebrity uses the lowest level technology from 20 years ago. It would be nice to easily read the names on the maps. What do these tv navigations maps look like on the E class or others lines tvs?

You may have had a bad connection or something else, I can usually read the names on the map…unless it’s late 🙂

For some reason the ocean depth fascinates me..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I remember the days long ago (1992) when the navigation map was a large board in the main lobby with an itinerary track overlay with lights within the track which turned on and off in sequence along the track as the ship progressed through it.  Interesting and sad at the same time as it was interesting to see where you were along the itinerary but sad to see you approach the end.

The level of technology used on the navigation channel to me is unimportant as it is just a reference tool.  I can get this from my phone in real time as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

IMG_0255.jpeg

• Haha 1

I'm imagining the Captain and Staff Captain on the bridge, in a quandary about how to navigate through some particularly challenging strait.  "I know, lets call Harris in Veranda room 8127.  I sure hope he's got his TV tuned to the navigation channel",  🙂

Harris

Denver, CO

16 hours ago, Atarangi957 said:

Are you sure your eyesight is as good as it was 20 years ago?

OMG I will never cruise with Celebrity again since this is what is given to the guest.  We need to demand that Celebrity updates their TVs and navigation equipment every day because its so important to my enjoyment of the cruise, the only reason I cruise is so I have an updated TV in the cabin so I can see the newest and greatest navigation channel so I have my location.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

OMG I will never cruise with Celebrity again since this is what is given to the guest.  We need to demand that Celebrity updates their TVs and navigation equipment every day because its so important to my enjoyment of the cruise, the only reason I cruise is so I have an updated TV in the cabin so I can see the newest and greatest navigation channel so I have my location.....

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I’m fine. 

Posted (edited)

On a positive note, If we are at the point where the navigation map is what we are complaining about now, then we must have accepted all of the legitimate complaints about service, food quality and verandas that are just a roll down car window.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Have they fixed the misspelling of Havana?

I've reported it on my last several cruise comment cards. 

"Havanna".

SMH

Not every language spells it Havana.  Some spell it Havanna (e.g., Germany, which is how we spell it - they call it Deutschland).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, canderson said:

Not every language spells it Havana.  Some spell it Havanna (e.g., Germany, which is how we spell it - they call it Deutschland).

Yep as is Saint Martin and Sint Maarten depending if you are on the French side or Dutch side.